Start by marking “Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire #1)” as Want to Read:
Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire #1)

Fortune's Fool

(Eterean Empire #1)

A secret affair. A disfiguring punishment. A burning need for revenge.

Kyrra d’Aliente has a bad reputation and an arm made of metal.

Cast out of the safe and luxurious world of silk to which she was born, played as a pawn in a game of feuding Houses, Kyrra navigates a dangerous world of mercenaries, spies, and smugglers while disguising herself as a man.

War destroyed her f
Published June 25th 2019 by Impossible Books

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Fool

Petrik
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-ebooks
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5 stars

The blurb surmised this first-person character-driven debut nicely; spies, smugglers, vengeance, war, and love, this hefty book has them all.

Fortune’s Fool is Angela Boord’s debut and it’s the first book in Eterean Empire series. The story revolves around Kyrra d’Aliente as she seeks vengeance for the harshness inflicted towards her in her past while masquerading herself as a man. Fortune’s Fool is undeniably a character-driv
Bjørn
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the beginning I was a bit overwhelmed by the length of the book – this is a LOT of book – yet when I finished I immediately wanted the second instalment.

For a good part of it, this book operates with a double timeline. This is a blessing, because Kyrra is extremely irritating for a long time – she's a teenager acting like a (gasp!) teenager – but because of how the book is structured I knew that the wait for her to grow up a bit would be worth it. (I think I just accidentally revealed my opin
Calvin Park
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Boord has given us a beautifully written and captivating novel in Fortune’s Fool. This is the story of Kyrra d’Aliente, fallen scion of a powerful house. It’s the story of her fall and the story of her vengeance. More than this, however, it’s a story about family and love and discovering that how we see and understand the world when we’re young—how we’re certain the world works—isn’t always true. Perhaps more central still to the work is this question: is trust possible?

In her debut novel
Krystle
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fortune's Fool is a great read for someone who likes their epic fantasy with a touch of romance!
It was a real pleasure to beta read Fortune's Fool. The characters were well fleshed out, so fun and interesting to read about. Kyrra, the main character, is both likeable for her strengths and believable for her flaws. The romance was delightful, a lovely piece to the large plot that includes family dramas and political intrigue. I especially love the time period, with Italian influence and matchloc
Stephen J Coey
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kyrra is an epic fantasy badass with a metal arm, intent on revenge, and I loved her. I especially loved the tale of her formative years. The story is set at a good pace and is written exquisitely well. I had the pleasure of beta reading Fortune's Fool before it went to an editor, and it was immaculate then. And Arsenault is such an intriguing character, again easy to love. I look forward to the next instalment, especially as there are so many possibilities with Arsenault.
Angela Boord
Jun 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
6/25/19 -- Fortune's Fool is out now and also entered in SPFBO5!
Fiona West
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of getting to beta read this book, and wow-the worldbuilding and character development are just wonderful, especially for a debut! Kyrra is such a compelling character, and the twists and turns kept me guessing all the way to the end. Can't wait for the sequel!
Pia
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got an ARC of Fortune’s Fool through TBRindr and I’d like to thank Angela Boord for it. It started out a bit slow for me, but I ended up really enjoying it, and if I had to sum it up shortly, I'd say it’s complex. So this is going to be a pretty long review to go with a pretty big book.

Structure stuff

Fortune’s Fool will be part of the Eterean Empire series but it’s self contained and works as a stand alone, the story is wrapped up and there’s no cliffhanger situation. I definitely want to rea
Carol
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that I agonized over a star rating because 4* doesn't really do it justice. On a 10 point scale, I'd probably give it an 8.8/10 (4.4/5), which is right up there with some of my favorite reads.

Boord's world-building is top-notch. The politics, the religion, the setting (the food!)--it very much has the feel of a living, breathing, vibrant world with a history that we only get to brush against in Fortune's Fool.

Fortune's Fool is also very much a character story, and the
Stephen Warren
Markus Wendel
Matt McAbee
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Jun 20, 2019
Angela Boord published a handful of short stories in the early 2000s, then had a bunch of kids who are now all sleeping at night so she can write again. She lives in northwestern Mississippi with her husband and their nine kids, plus two dogs, one cat, and varying numbers of chickens.

FORTUNE'S FOOL, a twisty epic/historical fantasy set in a Renaissance-inspired world, is her debut novel. She is c