Start by marking “Mashi And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Mashi And Other Stories

Mashi And Other Stories

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
1918. Tagore is an artist of rare lyrical powers, who understands the human soul. Tagore's poems and stories are devotions, mystical, sublimated ecstasy. They are the thoughts of a seer, the perfect union of beauty and truth. Contents: Mashi; Skeleton; Auspicious Vision; Supreme Night; Raja and Rani; Trust Property; Riddle Solved; Elder Sister; Subha; Postmaster; River Sta ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mashi And Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mashi And Other Stories

Rishit
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the title suggests, this book is a collection of short stories by legendary Indian Rabindranath Tagore. The anthology has in total 14 short stories-'Mashi', 'The Postmaster', 'The Skeleton', 'The Riddle Solved, 'The Trust Property', 'The Supreme Night', 'Raja and Rani', 'The River Stairs', 'The Elder Sister' and 'The Castaway'.
The stories present in the book gives a new meaning to nostalgia, love and remembrance and are very intriguing and interesting. The book is overall a great read.
Recomm
Czarny Pies
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-literature
Le receuil Mashi (disponible à http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34757) est un excellent receuil des nouvelles de Rabindranath Tagore (lauréat du Prix Nobel de la Littérature de 1913) qui plaira à un lecteur du 21e siècle parce qu'elles relatent brillament comment les gens aiment mal ou abusent de leurs prochains. Cependant, des contes Tagore commentent aussi l'actualité de son temps.

Pour bien comprendre les contes de receuil, il faut un petit rappel historique. En 1856, Lord Dalhousie le gouverne
Nancy
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, indian
Many great circumstances are highlighted in this collection of Tagore's shorts. Whereas today's readers might scoff at the out of date scenarios such as an eight year old widow or the unbreakable binds of marriage, the challenges these key characters endure expose timeless subtleties in all personal choice. The succinct writing style characteristic of Gertrude Stein and other skilled writers of this time is revealed in the amusing snippet of a conversation provided in The Castaway,
The husband,
Book Worm
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The genius of Gurudeb is unparalleled. what he wrote a century back still strikes a chord today in the age of crapple and other gadgets
Chaitalee Ghosalkar
Talk about beauty in simplicity and this book would perfectly fit the bill.
Darsana
This was my encounter with the Nobel prize winner Rabindranath Tagore. The prize winning tag is always a discouragement to go through the work, because most of the time, I don't understand them. That kept me away from Tagore for such a long time. Finally I took a chance to read a small set of short stories which are available in kindle for FREE :)

I must say, unexpectedly, it was very entertaining. A collection of small stories, I would say they are good bed time stories, but with a negative mood
Manasi Deshpande
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: katha-sangraha
The stories are simple, the one's that could happen anywhere at the time mentioned in narration, but the way they are told, in beautiful, lyrical language makes them mysterious. And that is the reason you want to read some sentences (that sometimes extend up to a full paragraph) again and again. You can not simply absorb the essence of its beautiful language in one go. Some stories have dark shade to them. You can't stop feeling sorry for some of the characters, and yes you realize this is how p ...more
Lynne
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Having read and fallen in love with Gitanjali, I was rather puzzled by this collection of stories dealing with loss. There seemed to be no sense of redemption whatever in them and I'm wondering to what extent the writing was influenced by the fact that Tagore had lost his father, wife and two of his children in the preceding years. The writing is nevertheless detailed and evocative of his world at that time.
Puspanjalee Das Dutta
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Rabindranath Tagore and his works. The way he weaved the tale is totally delightful to read. Though I read most of these stories in Bengali and Assamese (translated version), it was great to read them in English too!
Vijai Jayaram
Some of the stories were good
Rishant
Rabindranath can weave his magic with even two pages. It is mystical in its own way.
Lipika Dey
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Short stories with beautiful narration.
Elise
Feb 12, 2017
Namita Jain
Nov 21, 2016
Deepak Singh Bisth
This is the first of the author's works that I have read and it would not have happened if I didn't have to read it for my book club meet. I am sure I would have procrastinated a bit more.

The 4 stars are for the beautiful language usage but not for the stories, although the stories are good to a certain extent, however, I personally didn't like the pessimistic writing.

All stories talk about beauty but at the same time also about human suffering and human drama all ending sadly.

I might read a bi
Aug 03, 2016
anuj shyam
Oct 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore...

“happiness is like those stars. They don't cover all the darkness; there are gaps between. We make mistakes in life and we misunderstand, and yet there remain gaps through which truth shines.” 3 likes
“While thus engaged, I heard in a side-room the softest possible jingle of bracelets, crackle of dress, and footfall; and I felt certain that two curious eyes were watching me through a small opening of the window. All at once there flashed upon my memory a pair of eyes,—a pair of large eyes, beaming with trust, simplicity, and girlhood's love,—black pupils,—thick dark eyelashes,—a calm fixed gaze. Suddenly some unseen force squeezed my heart in an iron grip, and it throbbed with intense pain. I returned to my house, but the pain clung to me. Whether I read, wrote, or did any other work, I could not shake that weight off my heart; a heavy load seemed to be always swinging from my heart-strings. In the evening, calming myself a little, I began to reflect: ‘What ails me?’ From within came the question: ‘Where is your Surabala now?’ I replied: ‘I gave her up of my free will. Surely I did not expect her to wait for me for ever.’ But something kept saying: ‘Then you could have got her merely for the asking. Now you have not the right to look at her even once, do what you will. That Surabala of your boyhood may come very close to you; you may hear the jingle of her bracelets; you may breathe the air embalmed by the essence of her hair,—but there will always be a wall between you two.’ I answered: ‘Be it so. What is Surabala to me?’ My heart rejoined: ‘To-day Surabala is nobody to you. But what might she not have been to you?’ Ah! that's true. What might she not have been to me? Dearest to me of all things, closer to me than the world besides, the sharer of all my life's joys and sorrows,—she might have been. And now, she is so distant, so much of a stranger, that to look on her is forbidden, to talk with her is improper, and to think of her is a sin!—while this Ram Lochan, coming suddenly from nowhere, has muttered a few set religious texts, and in one swoop has carried off Surabala from the rest of mankind! I have not come to preach a new ethical code, or to revolutionise society; I have no wish to tear asunder domestic ties. I am only expressing the exact working of my mind, though it may not be reasonable. I could not by any means banish from my mind the sense that Surabala, reigning there within shelter of Ram Lochan's home, was mine far more than his. The thought was, I admit, unreasonable and improper,—but it was not unnatural.” 2 likes