Start by marking “Habis Gelap Terbitlah Terang” as Want to Read:
Habis Gelap Terbitlah Terang

Habis Gelap Terbitlah Terang

Buku ini berisi/menceritakan perjalanan hidup seorang pahlawan wanita R.A Kartini, dan surat-suratnya yang ia tujukan kepada saudari dan sahabat-sahabatnya. Adapun isi dari surat-surat itu adalah tentang cita-citanya untuk memajukan kaum wanita, harapan-harapanya dan perjalanan hidupnya.
Published by Balai Pustaka (first published January 1st 1912)

Start your review of Habis Gelap Terbitlah Terang
Anastasia Sijabat
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have always been suspicious of any celebrated woman figure recognised by the government, because I believe a true revolutionary figure would not get any fame from the very body they want to criticise. Kartini is one of them. I got mixed feelings upon reading this book. She's a truly eloquent writer and this is apparent from the way she wrote. It's timeless! One hundred years later and it still mesmerised me. Kartini was a truly talented writer and thinker, I found myself engaged with her inner ...more
Kristy
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book! My friend recommended I read this while I visited her in Indonesia. It was an incredible experience to learn about a culture through their literature while simultaneously vacationing in that country. It tells the story of a very forward thinking woman in a time where it was not so common..I don't want to give anything away!
Missy J
This book is a collection of letters that Kartini (1879-1904) wrote during the last 5 years of her life. For those of you who don't know Kartini, she is a national hero in Indonesia (her birthday is celebrated each year) for her pioneering work in the education of Javanese women. Unfortunately, she died at the very young age of 25 after giving birth to her first born child.

The original letters by Kartini were written in Dutch, so I'm not sure how accurate the English translation is, however the
Margaret
I've finally started this book and I'm finding it very interesting but I find that to maintain focus I can only read a couple of letters at a time, so this will be slow-going. It's definitely an education for me as I know next to nothing about Java during the turn of the century (early 1900s) and I'm always interested in the role of women in a society. I'll journal again when I'm closer to finishing it. :)

Took me forever to finish this book - not because it wasn't interesting but I found I appr
Melissa Chalhoub
It was a very interesting read, though a bit repetitive through the middle. Kartini's push for education for girls, her critic of the Javanese culture, and a lot of questions about the glorification of the colonizers, and their "open-minded" culture, while faced with their racism and destruction in your own land. The letters read as a continuous search for answers, sadly Kartini died at the age of 25, four days after childbirth.
Ad Astra
Wonderful selection of letters and look into the inner thoughts of the highly celebrated Kartini. I've spent 3 Women's Day inside Indonesia. I wish we could all feel a cause or passion to dedicate ourselves to the way she did to women and education. With such few sources of writing from that time, this was a treat.
Kultsum
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
i have to read this book
Magang Jepang
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rucha
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*review soon*
Lola
It's interesting to me that Letters of a Javenese Princess is considered Dutch literature. It's probably because the original letters were in Dutch and classify therefore as such, but it still feels out of place in the class I'm currently taking. The letters themselves are easy to read; Kartini is an intelligent, clever writer, and she really paints a picture of what life in Indonesia (then the Dutch East Indies) was like. I'd really recommend them especially since they're available to download ...more
Amy
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Msdot
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was written by an Indonsian in her second language; Dutch. And then translated into English. And read by an Indonesian with English as 2nd language. x)

I enjoyed reading it. Although afterawhile it did get boring and repetitive. But it was still good as they were personal letters written by an inspiring young woman, who dreamt big and received such supports from her family.
Claudia Sutrisno
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indonesian
Decided to finally read this in response to this year's Kartini's Day (but ironically finishing this some few days ago. I feel super redundant, yeah).
I would totally her best friend for sure. Imagine all those possibilities of talking about so many social issues with her.
Another reasons why I should keep records of thoughts.
Mia
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
found this book in 2e hand boekenmarkt in Haarlem. the one that i have is in Dutch though' but cant hardly wait to read it.
Jessie
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love
I read this book in college and could identify with the princess seeking to find her own way in the world. Inspiring.
elrealvira
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
she is really a woman...
Marchel
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It contains all letter corespondence from Kartini to her best friend in Nederland. I'm so sorry to forgot the name, i read it years ago.
Natasia Angel
This book is amazing.
Even though the language is quite hard to understand, the book is basically okay.
Dindahn
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
for the women who talk about emancipation, dont talk anymore, before you learn from this book
Rahadyan
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book when I first read it years ago in the 70's, but I understand that there's a better translation by E.M. Beekman.
Azmi
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
great wrote letter by Kartini
Dewi Wardani
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
A diary of Javanese-rebel girl, her free soul, her dreams, her mistaken... and finally she found a peacefulness become a mother ..
Aby Junior
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
All Indonesian has to read these book , especially Indonesian women.
Ghina Nisrina
Camelia AW
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
oke
Susewi_
i want now what is she want on this book
Layalia
Aug 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
i thinked its very good
All woman are Heroines 1 2 Apr 09, 2016 06:32AM
500 Great Books B...: Letters of a Javanese Princess - Raden Adjeng Kartini 1 18 Jul 13, 2014 08:16PM

• Child of All Nations (Buru Quartet, #2)
  • Dealova
  • Paris: Aline
  • Arok Dedes
  • Aku Ini Binatang Jalang
  • Let Go
Raden Ayu Kartini, (21 April 1879 – 17 September 1904), or sometimes known as Raden Ajeng Kartini, was a prominent Javanese and an Indonesian national heroine. Kartini was a pioneer in the area of women's rights for Indonesians.

After Raden Adjeng Kartini died, Mr J. H. Abendanon, the Minister for Culture, Religion and Industry in the East Indies, collected and published the letters that Kartini ha