Start by marking “Owls: The Silent Fliers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Owls: The Silent Fliers

R.D. Lawrence

Owls: The Silent Fliers

For centuries, owls have held an extraordinary fascination for people. Since Roman times, they have both been persecuted as harbingers of death and treasured as the embodiment of good fortune. Even today they are shot and trapped for sport or killed for the supposed curative powers of their eyes and feathers. It is a testament to the owl's great intelligence and toughness

Published August 28th 2004 by Key Porter Books Ltd ,Canada (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Owls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owls

Start your review of Owls: The Silent Fliers
Lisa Kearns
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by R.D. Lawrence I've read that goes in depth about a specific species. I've read all of his books about his exploration, his farm, his various rehabilitated animal guests. I wasn't sure I'd like a book that was too technical, but as always R.D. Lawrence charmed me with personal stories of his interactions with owls, interspersed with the drier information.

This book covers all the of the major owl species in the world, and goes into great detail about each one in a dedicat
Maya
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Between spring and autumn, night-hunting owls sometimes store surplus prey for short periods, perhaps for one or two days, but they usually eat it before it goes bad. In winter, however, saw-whet, great horned, snowy and boreal owls who have made several successful hunts, have been known to store the extra prey, which of course freezes, for some time. Now, one would think that for a small owl like the saw-whet, or even for a large owl like the great horned, frozen meat would be hard to tear up ...more
Tulara
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading about the owls - I had no idea of all the different kinds. I had some burrowing owls living in a large drainpipe I had on the property in California - they were great. When I came home in the dark and started down the driveway, I'd see them at the crest of the small hill seemingly glaring at my interruption of their evening. They came back every year.
The author has a tendency to brush aside people who don't know bird species or bird knowledge. He's a little condescending when w
Christian Brown
Jul 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ecostudies
This is a really cool book that serves as an introduction to some of the different owl species in North America as told by an owl expert of 76 years. In the book, he talks about personal stories regarding owl rehabilitation and rescue, and also breaks down basic information as to diet, habitat, personality, hunting style and mating season. There are also some fantastic pictures in the book. A good, quick, yet informative read.
Carina
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book because the author tells of his experiences with different species of owls, and I also liked the photos. It was a bit confusing at times, but in the end it was a good reference book. I recommend this to anyone who likes owl.
Claire
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was filled with information, great stories, and beautiful pictures. The reader really gets a sense of how involved with the natural world the author is.
Amy Derwae
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photos, great information and wonderful stories about the author's interactions with owls. ...more
Caitlin Chazen
Aug 12, 2010
Michele
Dec 26, 2012

• Never Cry Wolf: The Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves
  • Archaeological Oddities: A Field Guide to Forty Claims of Lost Civilizations, Ancient Visitors, and Other Strange Sites in North America
  • The War of 1812: A Guide to Battlefields and Historic Sites
  • Europe: A Natural History
  • Civil War Myths and Legends: The True Stories Behind History's Mysteries
  • Yes and No Stories: A Book of Georgian Folk Tales
  • The Inner Life of Animals: Love, Grief, and Compassion: Surprising Observations of a Hidden World
  • The Secret Wisdom of Nature: Trees, Animals, and the Extraordinary Balance of All Living Things ― Stories from Science and Observation
  • The Badass Life: 30 Amazing Days to a Lifetime of Great Habits--Body, Mind, and Spirit
  • The Road to Walden: 12 Life Lessons from a Sojourn to Thoreau's Cabin
  • Tao Te Ching
  • Walden
  • The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody: Great Figures of History Hilariously Humbled
  • Beauty Fades, Dumb Is Forever: The Making of a Happy Woman
  • Wolf Moon: Poems
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • A Weird and Wild Beauty: The Story of Yellowstone, the World's First National Park
  • The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World
R.D. Lawrence was a Canadian naturalist and wildlife author. Born aboard ship in the Bay of Biscay off the coast of Spain on September 12, 1921, he moved to Canada in 1954. RD Lawrence died of Alzheimer's on November 27, 2003 in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada.

RD Lawrence's many books are published in 26 countries and 15 languages and take us to animal habitats far from humans; to the boreal fo

News & Interviews