Start by marking “Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale” as Want to Read:
Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale

Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale

A retelling of the old Russian fairy tale in which beautiful Vasilissa uses the help of her doll to escape from the clutches of the witch Baba Yaga.
Published March 1st 1991 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Vasilissa the Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vasilissa the Beautiful

Start your review of Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale
Megan (ReadingRover)
The story in this book was fabulous! The illustrations were good too but the plot was outstanding. Definitely one of the better retellings by way of writing.
Virginia Brace
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Beautiful paintings by Russian artist Alexander Koshkin help to tell this old tale containing remnants of Cinderella and Hansel and Gretal while featuring the Russian witch Baba Yaga. Winthrop says she loves this story because it is women who challenge Vasilissa to grow and to overcome all troubles to reach her success, wealth and happiness in the end.
Janis
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful Russian folk tale! I really enjoyed the story (which is similar to Cinderella AND Hansel and Gretel). Of course, Russian baddie Baba Yaga is in it but Vasilissa is up to the challenge. Also, the artwork (by a Russian artist) is fabulous and beautiful. Simple, yet amazingly detailed--probably the best part about the book.
Brennan Wieland
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I wasn't too caught up in this book. In many ways, it resembled Cinderella. Vasilissa has an evil stepmom and two sisters who are very jealous of her. In the end, Vasilissa overcomes her her troubles and marries the Tsar (Prinse) and lives happily ever after. I most likely wouldn't recommend this, just read Cinderella if you haven't.
Jeanene Nickerson
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book are very beautiful. It is a very creative story because it combines old Russian folktales with both Hansel and Gretal and Cinderella. It would be interesting to use this book in a study on folk tales or fairy tales with 3-4th grade.
Cheryl
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This fairy tale is a cross between Cinderella and Hansel and Gretel. The evil Baba Yaga also figures in this tale. The story is enhanced by the beautiful illustrations of renowned Russian artist Alexander Koshkin.
Gamlath Madhushika
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best ever book i read in ma childhood.No one could gave me the fiction which vasillissa and babaiga gave me.
Kim
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Russian version of Cinderella. Lengthy, but entertaining. Beautiful illustrations.

themes: Baby Yaga, Cinderella, dolls, family, folktales, Russia
Stephen
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book to say the least. In comparison to it's Western equivalent it's emotional dexterity it is by far the victor without the prospect of even competing.
Cry-Of-The-Elves
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story! The illustrations on these pages are so lovely! This has enticed me to read more Russian folklore and tales. I beg that you at least check it out of your local library and give it a look!
Chantal
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Vasilissa the Beautiful A Russian Folktale by Elizabeth Winthrop

Do not be afraid, Vasilissa. Say your prayers and go to sleep. Remember, the morning is wiser than the evening.

I wasn't too keen to read Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale because of it being classified as a "children's book" section of goodreads. However, another Goodreads member had read this story as well as, Vassa in the Night and said that if you plan on reading the following book you must read the Russian Folktale first. I am fairly excited to try my hand at reading Vassa i
SmokingMirror
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The pictures are great. Vasilissa is beautiful, and the times of day are also wonderful. I love that Russian culture personifies time, as in the times of day, the months of the year, and I hope there is a story about the days of the week, though I haven't seen one: mighty Sunday and weakling (pun!) Monday, and the rest.
Michael Fitzgerald
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The change from full-color spreads to stark black-and-white text only is abrupt. It might have been improved with at least small illustrations on the text pages. Illustrations are great.
Haley Hoenke
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Social studies
Rebecca
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations and a nice retelling of a traditional Russian folktale. Love any story with the creepy Baba Yaga :)
Adithya Liyanage
guru geetha
Asvida Indeewara Gamage
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: read by everybody
Recommended to Asvida Indeewara by: father
It's a very nice book to read.
GatheringBooks

• No Visible Bruises: What We Don’t Know About Domestic Violence Can Kill Us
  • An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming: Teen Edition
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Inconspicuous Consumption: The Environmental Impact You Don't Know You Have
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • The Wonky Donkey
  • The Dinky Donkey
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody
  • Vassilisa the Wise: A Tale of Medieval Russia
  • Kestrel Island (Sophie Watson #1)
  • Doctors of Conscience: The Struggle to Provide Abortion Before and After Roe V. Wade
  • On Fire: The Case for the Green New Deal
  • Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, LUCY AND HENRY ARE TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, was published by Two Lions in 2015. Publishers Weekly called MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, published by Holiday House, a story of "two winning female characters with a message about friendship and girl power

News & Interviews