Start by marking “Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die” as Want to Read:
Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die

Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die

The most important questions anyone can ask are: Why was Jesus Christ crucified? Why did he suffer so much? What has this to do with me? Finally, who sent him to his death? The answer to the last question is that God did. Jesus was God's Son. The suffering was unsurpassed, but the whole message of the Bible leads to this answer.

The central issue of Jesus' death
Published January 27th 2006 by Crossway Books (first published January 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die

David York
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Far from a simple overview of the death of Christ and the Christian faith. This book was the end of a long search to find something for my father that would be challenging and to-the-point, but not overly theological in words or loaded with the same 'ol americanized christian jargon. Perfect for those who seem to be stagnant or complacent in their walk and understanding in Christ.
Cindy Rollins
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: morningtime, 2015
This is the perfect "Morning Time" book since its chapters are very short and its concepts are basic. Piper is so good clearly communicating truth and passion for Christ.

For those who know about our family MT you might remember that we started this late last January. It only has 50 chapters so technically we should have finished it a long time ago. The thing is it took us much longer than I anticipated as life threw us a series of curve balls. The point is that we kept on reading when we could,
Heath Marion
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This very small book packs a very hard punch! Do not be overwhelmed by the thought of 50 chapters. They are small. Most are just two pages in length, which allows the reader to be able to read the book as a devotional thought each morning or evening.

The book helps its reader by grasping some of the most foundational truths of the Bible. Dr. Piper answers the questions such as: Who killed Jesus? Who is Jesus? Why did Jesus have to die? What impact does Jesus death have for a person li
Julianne
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julianne by: Molly
Molly lent me this book, and I've been enjoying reading it with my Bible during devotions. I'd read one of the blog-post length chapters (or two or three!), then read some of the quoted books and chapters of the Bible more fully. It helped to really center my focus on what Jesus has done for me through the cross, and for that I am very grateful. I knew what His death meant, of course, but diving into it with this much detail gave me a greater respect and awe of the gift of salvation!

As usual, J
Peter Jones
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I was looking for a short book about the atonement to put on a book rack. Piper's book will fit that need. However, it is not perfect. As one reviewer said, there is a lot of overlap between the chapters. He is repetitive. Second and more glaring, though typical for Piper, he does not really bring the Old Testament into it. There is no big picture of Jesus as fulfilling the covenant or Jesus as Israel. This might be because he was trying to get at what the atonement achieved instead of what caus ...more
Ty Lukasiewicz
The passion of Jesus Christ was a great book. It was written so that the reader will know 50 ways why Christ came to die.

This was the first book of John Pipers that I have read. I really enjoyed John Pipers style of writing and his clear biblical theology. This book was clear and concise. It would be a great book to recommend to a new believer. For me there wasn’t a lot of new information but it was a joy to read and I still got something out of this book. There were some chapters that surprise
Eileen Parsons
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a "sit-down-to-read-it" kind of book. I tried to read it as a Bible Study and that didn't work either. It's rather a reference style book. It lists and explains the fifty reason Jesus came to die, backing it up with scripture. It's an excellent book for the unsaved who may be wondering exactly what God's purpose was in sending Christ to His death on the cross. It's also perfect for the follower who wants chapter and verse information for sharing the love of Jesus Christ with others.
Josiah Richardson
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in preparation for Resurrection Sunday. Contains 50 reasons why Christ came to Earth to die. Very helpful reminders.
Jonathan
Jan 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“The Passion of Jesus Christ” is a thin book that gives John Piper's 50 reasons that Jesus suffered and died. Piper excludes all human reasons (why Judas betrayed him, why the Jewish leadership put him on trial, why the Roman government executed him) as unimportant. He says that because God wanted Jesus to suffer and die, any human motivations are insignificant. A subtitle that Piper would find appropriate could be “50 reasons God the Father wanted Jesus dead and Jesus Christ submitted to that d ...more
Jonathan
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every single page points you to Christ and focuses on the beauty of Jesus. A great, easy read that is a springboard for your own deeper study time. Simple yet profound, the main goal of this book is to show that even the most evil, horrible tragedy in all of human history was planned ahead of time by God to show how good and loving He is. Pastor John does a great job pulling lots of scripture together to show how suffering is used to glorify God. Encouraging reminders throughout, and overall I r ...more
Nicole
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Small book (for Piper at least), but still so much to ponder and let penetrate the heart!! Oh but, to live daily in light of what the cross accomplished. A beautiful read with so much to hold to. Highly recommend. One I look forward to reading again.
Shaun Marksbury
A good book proved to be a good reflection on the reasons why Christ died. Piper can be a bit verbose, but this book doesn't demonstrate that.
Logan
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Free audiobook. Some very good things to be reminded of and I definitely profited from it, but I'm pretty sure the number is arbitrary and the material covered in many other places.
Carla Corinne
Great for preparation for Easter. I always love this book.
Marcia
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is saturated with Scripture, and that is why it was so precious to me. I read 4 chapters a day because it was one of my Lenten readings, but I plan to read it again, one chapter at a time, to fully absorb all that Jesus’ death meant to me and to all the peoples of the earth. John 3:16
Ben Palm
Deep, but Accessible!

There is loads of depth in what John Piper writes in this short but powerful book! There were plenty of reasons I revisited multiple times, and here were plenty that spoke right to what God was teaching me elsewhere! Definitely a book I will read again and again!
Josef Komensky
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is pure humbleness in the way how Joh Piper explains the basical doctrines of the Christianity.
Rebekah
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I didn't really learn anything from this book. Although it was a good refresher for me! Nothing in this book was new for me, BUT Piper did manage to word some concepts/ideas, that I already knew, in an interesting kind of way. He made a few points that caused me to do a-- "Huh, never thought of it that way. Well said, chap." --number in some areas. I didn't feel very fed after reading this book, but I didn't find anything wrong with it either. I just found myself trying to read as ...more
Scott Ray
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book. Very interesting to look at the death of Christ from so many different angles. We often oversimplify it. But this book takes (obviously from the title) 50 different reasons, all from Scripture, that Christ came to this earth with the intention of dying. 50 different things that His death accomplished. Reminds you how great God is and how incredibly perfect His plan was.

One recommendation: I did not read this I think in the best possible way. The 50 reasons are
Lyndon
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short devotionals about the reason behind Christ's passion (his suffering and death) all add up to a wonderful, multi-faceted (and accessible) theological reflection on why Christ had to die on the cross. Some great nuggets here that could be (and deserve to be) expanded into full blown sermons. Each 2-page chapter covering 50 different reasons why Christ came to die is based on a scripture text. There is some overlap, but that simply reflects the various biblical emphases and reminds us t ...more
Lydia
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved how this book was organized - you could have a short read or use each reason as a devotional. I read this book in a week or so but I think it would be very beneficial to use it as a devotional. Piper uses a lot of scriptures to back up everything he says. Many scriptures were repeated throughout the book. This would be a great way to do a devotion with scripture memorization and/or just familiarizing yourself with the scriptures. A wonderful little book full of big treasures and reminder ...more
Charlie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I often give (or at least recommend)this book to interested non-Christians or new believers. I do this for several reasons. First, it is sure to deepen one's appreciation for a central theme of the Christian faith, the cross. Second, the question of what God has done for us is logically prior to the question of how we should live for God. Third, the format of two pages per reason ensures that anyone can read this book. I first read it as a daily devotional.
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to it as an audiobook, which I as ChristianAudio.com's free download of the month. The audio is great, and the reader's voice is clear and easy to understand. The only thing that might be better is to listen to John Piper read his own work.

Though I'm not sure I learned anything new, it was good to break down Christ's Passion into such basic elements for consideration, especially at this time of year. I may listen to these again over the coming days.
Alex
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book on Easter and it was wonderful! There are so many reasons as to why Jesus came and died on a cross. Shows just a glimpse of the depth of God's love for reconciling sinners to himself through Jesus! Great synopsis of a bunch of aspects of the cross, would highly recommend it to the regular church go-er who has grown numb to the gospel and to non-Christians that are questioning who Jesus is and his purpose.
Patrick
What I like most about this book is that, while most people simply say "Christ died for our sins," Piper explores the rich diversity of reasons (direct and indirect) that Scripture gives for Christ's death. I read it over the forty days or so leading up to Good Friday and Easter, and found it to be edifying preparation.
Allison Reed
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is going to be of great use to ministry. I plan to give it to a girl who wants to know more about the death and resurrection of Christ before she truly claims him as her own. I love how this book speaks on all the vast amount of things Christ on the cross accomplishes.
Heather
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly excellent. Great for reading one a day. Piper does a great job of explaining deep theological concepts behind each reason, all in two pages each day. It's great for remembering some basics and discovering aspects you didn't think of. I recommend it to anyone.
Philip
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Five stars for centering on Jesus. Two stars for being boring:).
Bailey Marissa
A great book on the fifty reasons why Jesus' death is so important to humans and to Christianity in general.
Jeff
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little late finishing this. The idea was to begin reading the book on Ash Wednesday and continue through Easter, reading a chapter a day. Obviously, I missed a day, here and there.

This is a good little book, outlining, as the title suggests, fifty reasons, that John Piper found in Scripture, why Jesus came to die for us. Some of the reasons really struck a chord in my heart, some of them didn't.

As is usually the case, Piper's writing is filled with Scripture. His k
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Chapter Eight 5 29 Nov 23, 2012 06:19PM
Reformed Readers: 2009 - March: Piper, The Passion of Jesus Christ 5 24 May 04, 2009 09:53PM
Chapter Thirteen 1 13 Apr 25, 2009 06:59AM

• The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross... Every Day
  • Growing in Christ
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross
  • The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
  • God's Lesser Glory: The Diminished God of Open Theism
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • According to Plan
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
“Don't follow a defeated foe. Follow Christ. It is costly. You will be an exile in this age. But you will be free.” 62 likes
“Christ did not die to make good works merely possible or to produce a half-hearted pursuit. He died to produce in us a passion for good deeds. Christian purity is not the mere avoidance of evil, but the pursuit of good.” 58 likes