Start by marking “The Next to Die” as Want to Read:
The Next to Die

The Next to Die

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  481 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Everyone has something to hide...The virile, all-American husband. The brainy golden girl. The happily-wed bi-coastal couple. Someone is watching...Someone who has uncovered their darkest secrets. Someone who is hell-bent on making them pay for their sins...No one suspects the truth...Now there is no escaping the shadowy jury that watches their every move. It infiltrates e ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Pinnacle (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Next to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next to Die

Denise
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is the ninth of Kevin O'Brien's books that I've read; the others were all excellent. I've no idea what happened with this one, but I really didn't enjoy it at all. The characters, and there were a lot of them, had the personality of lego people, and after a while, it became difficult to distinguish one from the other.
Joe Hempel
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Not what I thought it was going to be...I thought it was going to be a sort of horror story....turns out it was thin thriller about "stars" that have "sinned" according to a certain group, who are out to kill those folks and make this world a better place.

Meh.
Scott Mccoy
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
ugh
Marie
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Someone is killing celebrities who show support for anyone who doesn't march to the beat of a group believing they are morally superior. The murders are staged for maximum impact, to steer others away from the same path.
Kavita Favelle
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
The synopsis sounded decent but the book didn't grab me at all. Gave up three chapters in.
Albieglad
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 at best
Leona (Books Inside The Keep)
What really grabbed my attention about The Next To Die was its synopsis. I am a serious sucker for mystery thriller stories in audio that leave me guessing until the very end, and that was the vibe that the synopsis gave me. The crazy thing is, the story delivered on the mystery part, but throughout its story I felt like I was listening to a Gregory Peck like mystery movie.

The Next to Die ’s tone was not how I imagined it would be based off its synopsis. It seriously had the feel of an old my
Jan
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Liberals vs. holier than thou ultra conservatives. The latter group takes their hate to new levels when they begin killing high profile movie stars who have "sinned" in their eyes.
Christopher Hivner
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
The Next to Die takes advantage of the considerable animosity in the U.S. between conservatives and liberals. An ultra-conservative group, trying to bring their kind of morality back to the populace, takes it upon themselves to ruin the reputations of actors and musicians who support things like gay rights, gun control and abortion and if that doesn't work, they kill them in very public, very ugly ways.

This is a decent thriller that keeps the action moving and about half way through you have som
Frank
The book lost a star with the unnecessary "romance" in the latter half of the book. It was telegraphed from a mile away and was painful to read through when it became a focus of the plot. One of my major peeves about mysteries/thrillers is this kind of crap. If I wanted something like this I would read the billions of poorly-written bodice rippers on the shelves these days. When characters are written well and the relationship is necessary for the plot I'm all for it and I have read plenty of gr ...more
  • All the Pretty Dead Girls
  • Silent Victim
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • Drop Zone (Drop Zone #1)
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • 24 Declassified: Death Angel
  • Tombstoning
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Internecine
  • The California Roll
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me, #1)
  • Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark #1)
  • Countdown: The Liberators
  • To Catch a Thief (The Calamity Janes, #3)
  • The Holy Bullet
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Try Fear (Ty Buchanan)