Start by marking “The Firm” as Want to Read:
The Firm

The Firm

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  28,864 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews
When Mitch McDeere signed on with Bendini, Lambert and Locke of Memphis, he thought he and his beautiful wife, Abby, were on their way. The firm leased him a BMW, paid off his school loans, arranged a mortgage, and hired him a decorator. Mitch McDeere should have remembered what his brother Ray-doing fifteen years in a Tennessee jail- already knew. You never get nothing fo ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 501 pages
Published November 11th 1999 by Dell (first published February 28th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Firm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Firm

·  28,864 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews

Matthew
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-drama
This was the first or second John Grisham book I ever read. I read it years ago - in fact, I think when I read it the most recent Grisham book release was The Pelican Brief or maybe The Client.

I remember enjoying this book a lot and that all of his early books had a similar feel and were very easy to get into. It was also the start of my expectation that several times throughout a Grisham you will get details on what the main characters are eating or drinking. Instead of just saying he grabbed a bite to ea
Daniel Martin
Jul 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ...
it's not that this book necessarily deserves a 1, being the worst score possible, but... it's just so fucking dumb. I only finished it because I'm stuck in between 4 rice fields in japan, and the only reading I had available in english was. well. the label on my pepsi bottle.
IF you happen to be a 40-50 year old (white)man, and like reading about "6 figures", then I'll understand you liking this book.
Hhere's a taste.

"And, don't worry McDeere (former star college quarterbac
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Firm, John Grisham
The Firm is a 1991 legal thriller by American writer John Grisham. His second book, it was Grisham's first which gained wide popularity; in 1993, it was made into a film starring Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman. Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill, came into prominence afterwards due to this novel's success.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز دوم ماه اکتبر سال 1998 میلادی
عنوان: شرکت؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: مرجان رزم آرا؛ تهران، سپنج، 1373؛ در 572 ص؛ چاپ دوم 1375؛ م
Rob
Sorry to say but I found this book overly long and, at times, a bit pedantic.
Mitch McDeere has an IQ that’s off the Richter scale and has just finished a law degree at Harvard Uni and managed to come in third in his class.
A small, by New York standards, legal firm in Memphis woes Mitch to join the firm. The money being offered is well above what other bigger and more prestigious firms are offering. So with this carrot in front of him Mitch joins the firm. Mitch obviously hasn’t heard
Brian
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. This book belongs in the same category with the ones you can’t put down, and you curl in a corner, shaking with red eyes and a gaunt frame from malnutrition. Grisham developed the characters well and developed the plot with skill of a master storyteller. I noticed some similarities with Stephen King’s style, such as using a reference to the object with “the” instead of “a” (the “coffee table sat alone in the room,” “the man sat at the bar”), and he refers to people with nickn ...more
Brooke Hargett
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was fantastic! Loved every second of it. A few weeks ago it came on TV and I was saying "this is a great movie!" but within minutes I realized I had NOT seen it! I was thinking of A Few Good Men! Who knew I had never seen The Firm?? My husband said he'd read it years ago and it was one of the best books he'd ever read. So, I DVRd the movie and went to get the book (I didn't watch the movie yet, but I've heard it was a disappointment from the book... of course right???)

I ser
Natalie Vellacott
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, john-grisham
Thought I'd never get to the end of this epic Grisham novel. I think this is one of his earlier efforts and I remember watching the film a long time ago.

A rookie tax lawyer is head hunted straight from school and offered a dream job with an extremely wealthy company. Star struck, The Firm dazzles him with money, houses, cars....and all the trimmings. It seems too good to be true....The only slight botheration are the plaques of remembrance in one of the offices. The Firm has had a higher than average n
Dean
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!!!
Mitchell McDeere is a graduate from Harvard, young and having a lot of offers from every law firm in America as a tax lawyer..
He has a beautiful wife and is hungry for making money!!!

So, he comes across Bendini, Lambert and Locke, a small well respected firm...
He gets a dream offer from them, but the dream job becomes his worst nightmare!!!

Let me say that at the end the mafia and the FBI will be chasing him…
A grandiose plot unfolds tha
Susan's Reviews
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this when it first came out and really enjoying it.

I used to love this author - now, not so much. Not sure why some authors only get better with time, and others just fall into bad habits and start phoning it home. Such a pity.
Julianne
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I recently realized 1) I've never read any of John Grisham's novels and 2) that's a shame. So I picked this up at the library a couple trips ago, when I found myself browsing in the G's. Why The Firm rather than The Client or The Associate? My grandfather, a former lawyer, happened to mention it in a conversation a couple months ago, so the title was on my mind.

My main impression is that this is the kind of pulp that no one will read 100 years from now (thank goodness). It reminded me very strongly of s
Annie ⚜️
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the movie and the book was even better (and, no, sadly I've learned that is not always the case).
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
5 stars

I first read this a long time ago.

🇺🇸
Dawn Quarles
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On of my favorite books ever.
Dawn Michelle
This was my first taste of John Grisham and for awhile, I would read everything I could get my hands on by him. And then, not so much. But I would return to this over and over to remind myself of how great he had been. I read this over the course of a month and then read "A Time to Kill" at the pool that summer. It was the first time I had ever paced myself in my reading and it was like torture. :-)

I am not sure why this wasn't in my book [glad I saw somone's review so I could add it
Piyangie
It's been a while I have read a John Grisham novel. And The Firm provided a good opportunity for me to get back the world of Grisham and his legal thrillers. And as always I'm amply rewarded.

The Firm is undoubtedly a gripping thriller. With somewhat a slow start the story slowly but steadily picks up the pace and become a quick page turner. And from mid story onward, the suspense become intense.

Coupled with all these thrilling features is an incredible story line. A young ambitiou
Henry Ozogula
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful novel brimming with a plethora of characters who come to life devastatingly as the story unfolds. Of course there is Mitch the main protagonist (‘young lawyer’, as we say in Africa) and his beautiful wife, Abby. There is the elderly, sly, unctuous Oliver Lambert who is exposed early as a sick depraved man – also a lawyer. As he is referred to: “he said you were a real nice man. I thought you’d like that” . What an irony!

Then there is Nathan Blake, another veteran
Bon Tom
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic everyone is familiar with. I just want to note how refreshing it was, in this day and age, to read complex legal thriller (although basic idea is very simple), without intrusion of words like cellphone, email, Internet, hacker, alias, virus and all the complications and simplifications in plot that come with it. In this book, you have to "wait by the phone", it's absolutely crucial for things not to go bonkas. Phone boots are little tin houses of salvation. To me, that scarcity of commun ...more
Roya
Apr 14, 2014 marked it as didn-t-finish
Shelves: dull, not-for-me
DNF at p.64

Whenever I have problems, I resort to reading fiction. This usually seems to assuage the pain that is reality, but sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes the plot is so banal and unexciting that you just put your book down, stare at the ceiling, and think about every single thing that can possibly go wrong over the next sixty years.

So I only started reading this because I can't handle seeing
Chris Van Dyke
Snap! I forgot all about Grisham when I putting in the crap books - thanks Conrad. Summer of '92, we were staying in a cabin off Devil's Lake in Michigan near my aunt's; I finished off the books I'd read and was unable to convince anyone in my family to play "D-Day To the Rhine", the WW2 strategy game I bought in Anarbor, but luckily my aunt had stocked our cabin with a whole slew of Grisham.

I think I read this in a day, and since the last paragraph was pure memoir that has nothing t
Noriko
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Although it took me almost two weeks to finish this book, I enjoyed the book a lot.
It was a well-written, complex legal thriller that kept me intrigued down to the last-minute.

To be perfectly honest, I did think the middle part was a tad tedious and dragging. I put this negative down to my expectation, but I was expecting a constant streak of thrills and tension. I was expecting it to be a lot more nail-biting.
Don’t get me wrong – there were a lot of thrilling scenes here and
Karl Marberger
The novel started strong. I was quite immersed into the ambiance the book established within the first 100 pages. Particularly the young buck Mitch McDeere being rightfully proud and optimistic with his new job at a lucrative firm, being fresh out of law school. And the fact that something very shady is definitely going on with this firm. I was flipping through the pages eager to discover where the story would lead. Alas, I was mildly disappointed with the second half of the novel. After discove ...more
Ann Living It Up
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/thrill seekers
Shelves: fiction
I don't know why I waited so long to read a John Grisham novel. I've always liked his movies, and one of my favorites was always THE FIRM with Tom Cruise. This is my first novel of his to read, and man, was it intense! It was an awesome mystery.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of what happened in the book actually happens in real life either. The last half of the book was so intense, my heart rate went up! No joke.

Anyways, it's a great thriller. I think any adult would like this story. I'm goi
Chance and his Goosie Scale
I don't think this book is particularly memorable, but it was definitely enjoyable. The idea of a criminal law firm, and even to the extent it goes in the plot, is completely believable. Grisham also did a great job of making the reader feel the emotion of the characters and the stakes. It's also another quick read and just the right amount, so overall a good story.

Goosie Scale Rating: 2/10
While a good, enjoyable story, you won't be getting goosebumps..

First Sentence Rating: 8
Mark Sullivan
Mar 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Cynthia
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! Enjoyed this one even if I am 20 years behind! Look forward to seeing the movie as well. I am sure everyone knows the story so I will say I almost figured I would just watch the movie but this book was my favorite Grisham since I read "A Time to Kill" when it originally came out. It was an exciting read that kept you wanting to keep reading to see what this poor young couple would be put through next! Just imagine if everything you did or said was being listened to! If you are ...more
Cindy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Grisham novels.
Alan
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Years after reading this ... The oldies are the good ones.
BWT (Belen)
Just got the audio.

I loved this story in high school and this was a very pleasant walk down memory lane. Scott Brick has a pleasant speaking voice and adds emotion to the narration in ask the right places. His accents were okay, but I wish he'd done more to differentiate the character voices. 4 stars for narration.
Jonetta
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Grisham novel and I literally could not put this book down. The pace was breathtaking and I couldn't predict what would happen from page to page. The movie is somewhat different and there are aspects of the plot in the book that you don't want to miss.

Great read if you like high mystery and suspense.
S.P. Aruna
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Great book, probably closer to the truth than many of us would like to believe. A fast paced thriller about corruption and the evil lure of money, protected by a secrecy that is lethal.

This was the book that gave Grisham the golden key to fame, when Paramount bought the film rights.

Believe it or not, haven't seen the film yet, but it's on my to-do list
Goodreads Librari...: Mistaken Title 3 15 Oct 15, 2019 12:20AM
Is this book worth reading? 3 12 Mar 27, 2019 11:49AM
Goodreads Librari...: Merging of two Firms 2 22 Apr 12, 2017 04:01AM
The Firm -- the Book & the Movie 6 61 May 20, 2016 06:28PM

• Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Adolescence of P-1
  • The Client (Penguin Readers)
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Three Complete Novels: The Andromeda Strain / The Terminal Man / The Great Train Robbery
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • Jury Of One
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Icon
  • The Assassini
  • Invasion of Privacy (Nina Reilly #2)
  • Tishomingo Blues
  • In Tenebris (La trilogie du Mal, #2)
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • The Case of the Fenced-in Woman
  • The Winner
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child
“love yourself,.,.,.,for the sake of
your better future”