Start by marking “Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)” as Want to Read:
Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)

Always Time to Die

(St. Kilda Consulting #1)

Former U.S. Senator Quintrell is dead.
His son, New Mexico's governor, is preparing his
run for the highest political office in the land.

And dark family secrets are about to explode with the
devastating force of a Southwestern earthquake.

An eccentric Quintrell aunt has invited genealogist Carolina "Carly" May to their Taos compound to compile a record of the illustrious fami
Published May 30th 2006 by Avon (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Always Time to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always Time to Die

Angela
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ebooks
Note: I originally read this book back in 2006, and read it again in 2011. My opinion of the book hasn't changed in the interval, though it's worth noting that I did enjoy it well enough to come back and read it again.

I can generally rely upon Elizabeth Lowell to give me a fluffily suspenseful but enjoyable read. She's formulaic, sure, but it's a formula I happen to like: beautiful, spunky woman plus broody and sexy man plus people trying to kill them, generally for reasons involving fabulously
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, lowell, incest
I kept vacillating between hating and liking this book. It must have been the narrator. The genealogy stuff got to be a little too much. Then the whole incest thing just went waaaaaay beyond creepy, disgusting, and too much as well.
Bagtree
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I'm not generally a romantic-suspense (or romantic-anything) reader; I grabbed this off a housemate because I was out of books of my own, so maybe this book was only "meh" to me because I wasn't familiar with whatever genre conventions I'd let myself in for. But "meh" it was.

The suspense plot is a good one, but the way it's paced, it never seems as urgent as I'd expect. There are many isolated incidents of people threatening the heroine, Carly. There are some isolated incidents of pe
Jonetta
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolina "Carly" May is a genealogist who was invited by the eccentric aunt of New Mexico's governor, Josh Quintrell, to come to their Taos ranch to compile a record of the Quintrell/Castillo family. She arrives following the death of the family patriarch, A. J. Quintrell, a former U.S. senator. However, digging up the past is creating trouble within the family and Carly finds herself on unsafe footing. Dan Duran, a former Army Ranger and now an agent for St. Kilda was born and raised in the Tao ...more
Arianna
Feb 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
I was shocked by this book. It sounded good, then I started reading and was struck by a desire to skip a lot of pages. There is a ton of geneology and family history described in the chapters because the main character is hired to write about just that. So at first it's boring, then it just gets disgusting. If you want to read about some filandering, pig-headed chold molesters and bigamists be my guest -- I put the book down. I couldn't believe one of my choice authors had chosen to write such a ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"The powerful Quintrell family of New Mexico has spent decades in the public eye. Now the recent death of the clan's patriarch, a former U.S. senator, has placed his son, Governor Josh Quintrell, squarely in the spotlight as he prepares his run for the highest political office in the land. It is not a good time to be rattling skeletons in the family's closets.

Researching personal histories isn't just Carolina "Carly" May's profession, it's her passion. When the governor's eccentric Aunt W
Lauren
Always Time to Die
4 Stars

Synopsis
Carly May is a genealogist hired by Winifred Castillo to trace the history of her family. But someone in the Quintrell-Castillo line would rather keep old and dark secrets buried with the dead. Soon Carly finds herself the target of a sinister foe who will stop at nothing to prevent her from discovering the truth. The only person Carly can turn to is Dan Duran, a dangerous enigma with ties to the Quintrells and secrets of his own.

Review
Well-paced action and susp
Amanda
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Book # 53 of 2009

Wow, it seems like it took me all of May to read this book. It was a decent book. Lots of buried family secrets and intrigue. I became interested in this book after listening to "Blue Smoke and Murder" which was the fourth in a line of St. Kilda Consulting series - this was supposed to be the first. Although St. Kilda was mentioned (especially in the last 1/4 of the book), it left me more confused about the whole St. Kilda series timeline. There's no description of how this orga
Tory Wagner
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, genealogy
I enjoyed this book because it combined two on my interests: mysteries and genealogy. The main character, Dan, belongs to an organization that specializes in remedying problems in dangerous parts of the world. He is from Taos, New Mexico and is part of an extended family that can trace their roots back to Spanish explorers. Recovering from an injury, he spends some time at home and meets a visitor who is writing a genealogical history of his mother's family. She becomes the target of a sniper an ...more
Miranda
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nicely-paced suspenseful mystery whodunnit. It didn't stand out in any particular fashion, other than I noticed harsh cuss words weren't used. At one point a character said "nucking futs", and I found that witty. Kinda/sorta borders on being a romance, but there's enough going on in the plot for it to not permeate the entire novel.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-rc
Intetesting read. Had everything figured out on page 83... but finished it anyways.
Ellen
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good characters
Bonnie Farley
Nov 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not a fan. At all. It was free and I still feel like I was robbed.
Gail
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book with some seriously creepy elements. It's billed as a St. Kilda Consulting book, but there's very little St. Kilda to it. The hero is on medical leave after being injured on the job. The heroine has been hired to construct a family history of the local grandee, a former senator who was a total scuzzbucket. He's the source of most of the creepiness, which all happened in the past, since he's dead now. But people are still dying, so there's got to be more secrets than the Senator's old s ...more
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, came down with bronchitis while reading book, that may have played a roll in my having a difficult time keeping up with the convoluted story line and numerous same named characters.
Also a red herring thrown in for good measures? Interesting information concerning genealogic research but very technical too.
I've enjoyed other of this author's .better
Maggie Shanley
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This story of genetics, dirty politics and rural life outside of Taos, New Mexico was kind of predictable. I kept reading because I am not a quitter and I wanted to get to the happy ending although there were a few too many coincidences to make this a great story.
Jane Dow
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story, good characters. I got lost with some of that DNA tracings and family history. I thought Dan’s mother could have been developed more and played a bigger part in the story. Overall, though, Dan and Carly were the main characters so they carried the story well.
Michael W. Boleware
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
If I had read this, the first of the St. Kilda series, I would not have bothered to read any others in the series.
Susan
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gennie
The genealogy and mystery parts were good, but found the dialog a bit crass and the outcome creepy and illogical.
Juliewheatcox.Net
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book had difficulty holding my attention until the last 20%. I could tell it was going somewhere or I would have given up sooner. It just took too long to get there.

Nancy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I believe Elizabeth Lowell is known mostly for her romance novels. This book was a mystery. I liked the mystery story line; but there was just a little too much "romance" in the story.
Julie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very confusing book. It was good, but hard to follow with all the different characters.
Joanne
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Good story and I did enjoy it. There were tiring stretches of character angst. Second half and ending was most exciting as it should be.
Gwen Menz
Nov 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually never finished it ... just never got into the characters, etc
Joey
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

I love Elizabeth Lowell! I just thought this one took me a bit longer to get into. After I did, it was great
Tina
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay, but nothing earth shaking. Definitely one of her older works.
Michelle
The characters were just kind of flat & a bit boring. Hard to get involved in the storyline but ok.
Tyler
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Carly May has been hired by the aging matriarch of the powerful Quintrell family in New Mexico to write a family history. As Carly begins to uncover skeletons in the family's closet, she becomes the target of violence from somebody who is trying to keep these secrets hidden.

My Review: I enjoyed this book, but my main complaint was with the complexity of the plot. The family history and details were intricately laid out, and these details were critical to unraveling the mystery.
Christi
I was hoping this would be a good suspenseful mystery book and the start of a good series. After all the blur promises "a riveting tale of dark family secrets ready to explode with the devastating force of a Southwestern earthquake" and deems Lowell, "one of today's top masters of suspense".

The book opens with the murder of a New Mexico senator who left behind a wife in a coma, a spiteful sister-in-law and a son with Presidential aspirations. The sister-in-law hires a genealogist to write her fa
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shadow And Silk
  • Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6)
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • Into the Storm (Troubleshooters, #10)
  • Up Close and Dangerous
  • Run for Your Life
  • Murder List (Buchanan, #4)
  • One Deadly Sin
  • To Trust A Stranger/Whispers At Midnight
  • A Marked Man (Bayou #7)
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Fatal Tide
  • Tall, Dark, and Deadly
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more

St. Kilda Consulting (5 books)
  • The Wrong Hostage (St. Kilda Consulting, #2)
  • Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3)
  • Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4)
  • Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5)