Start by marking “Healing a Spouse's Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas After Your Husband or Wife Dies” as Want to Read:

Offers 100 practical, here-and-now suggestions for helping widowers or widows mourn well so they can go on to live well and love well again. Whether your spouse died recently or long ago, you will find comfort and healing in this compassionate book.
Published November 1st 2003 by Companion Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Healing a Spouse's Grieving Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing a Spouse's Grieving Heart

Start your review of Healing a Spouse's Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas After Your Husband or Wife Dies
Jeff Schmitt
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After losing my wife quite suddenly and unexpectedly in August of 2012, I've made a point of finding books to help me mourn and grieve. Most I've read and put on the shelf. This one will stay close to me; I'll never finish it, just start over again when I get to the end. There are so many ideas in this little book, I won't remember them all, so I'll just keep going back, over and over again. This book should be read by anyone who has suffered this pain!
Tami
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally! A book that tells you how you know you're making progress in reconciling your grief! Hallelujah - I'm getting there!
Not a lot of new information, but really well written. It's very accessible & comforting - conversational, almost.
Theresa Bradley
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Healing A Spouse's Grieving Heart" by Dr. Alan D. Wolfelt, is a well-written and compassionate hand-book that provides comfort and guidance to individuals grieving the loss of a spouse. Wolfelt shares 100 practical ideas to assist you in your grief journey such as; planning a ceremony, taking care of yourself; therapeutic writing exercises; and how in helping others you help yourself. Often time individuals feel alone in their grief. Not only are they separated from their spouse but they can al ...more
Dr.
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very practical ideas. Great to help you yourself, or to help someone else.
Jeff
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book I will come back to again and again.
Becky
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. It's one that I will keep out because it has ideas of ways to help you grieve. It has definitely helped my grieving process.
Jacqui
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Comforting, compassionate, and actually gives you helpful ideas for comforting yourself and remembering your lived one.
Mark Manderson
Some good tools to process grief through mourning.

Grief is what we think and feel on the inside when someone we love dies.
Mourning is the outward expression of our grief.
Must experience Mourning to heal and not restrict it.
The key is to remove self judgment and allow ourselves to simply feel.
Just as you surrendered to the mystery of love, you must surrender to the mystery of grief.
VICKI L. KEELER
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daily word

Very helpful to take small steps and read one lesson a day. I am a reader and was tempted to read the whole book in one day, however,that is overwhelming and not healing. I just finished and will start over again.
Eric
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very, very practical.
Sharon M
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nicely written with good tips and thoughts on taking care of yourself while processing grief, loss, and ultimately healing. Recommended for anyone who's recently lost a spouse.
Janinne
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I guess I didn't need this book. Nothing new to me in this volume.
Jennifer Warren
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

When you have lost the love of your life, you may find reading takes too much concentration. You may be able to manage this.
Susan Kanoff
Clara Fetters
rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand
  • A Grief Observed
  • Widow to Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas for Rebuilding Your Life
  • I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing After the Sudden Death of a Loved One
  • Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II
  • Last Things: A Graphic Memoir of Loss and Love
  • The Last Tudor (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #14)
  • On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir
  • Breaking Hate: Confronting the New Culture of Extremism
  • In Another Time
  • Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #8)
  • The Illustrated Man
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Grieving and Recovery: 101 Inspirational and Comforting Stories about Surviving the Loss of a Loved One
  • Companion Through The Darkness: Inner Dialogues on Grief
  • Li'l Booger Buddies Inventors Help Out a New Friend

News & Interviews

“If you have the energy, take a walk today through a quiet area of town. Or better yet, get out of town and find a “safe place” in nature. Rest when you’re tired and contemplate the ways in which you might take better care of yourself in the coming weeks and months.” 0 likes