Start by marking “Don't Die, Dragonfly (The Seer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Don't Die, Dragonfly (The Seer, #1)

Don't Die, Dragonfly

(The Seer #1)

After getting kicked out of school and sent to live with her grandmother, Sabine Rose is determined to become a normal teenage girl. That's why she hides her psychic gift from everyone at her new school, pretending that the predictions she helps write for the school newspaper are just fun nonsense.
Published August 11th 2005 by Llewellyn Publications (first published January 8th 2004)

Start your review of Don't Die, Dragonfly (The Seer, #1)
Amateur de Livre
Dec 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I have always been drawn to anything involving the mind and have always been fascinated by psychics. Having been born in the caul, and having a Great-Grandmother that read tarot cards, I was ready to jump on board and read a book that dealt with the powers of the psyche. And I was not disappointed.

Don't Die Dragonfly is the first book in The Seer series. Sabine Rose is sent to live with her maternal Grandmother, Nona, after a boy dies at her school. Plagued with visions, she feels as if she let
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Sabine has a secret – she gets visions and warnings about the future – although they’re always about other people.
Her latest warning is about a girl with a dragonfly tattoo, although she’s not really sure what she’s supposed to be warning her about.
When someone puts the janitor in the hospital after a break in at the school, Sabine is determined to find out who did it, especially when it seems the culprit is trying to frame her.
Who injured the jani
Papia aziz
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of the sequel "The seer" and so far I really liked this book. Sabine Rose was kicked out of her school and sent to live with her grandma,Nona. Sabine have a psychic gift that lead her to get kicked out of her school.She's trying really hard to prove that she was innocence of killing a girl at her old schoo. She can sense dangers and many other things. Now in her new school shes trying to be normal like a teenage girl would. But when she starts having deadly visions of a g ...more
Susan
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it
I'd recommend this to a reader on the young side of young adult. Although the first person protagonist Sabine Rose is a high school student, the writing is rather simplistic for that age. The plot line is not that unique, either.

What makes the book interesting and worth reading are the characters of Sabine and the people around her, and their interactions. Many teenagers are convinced that, if others discover their secret self (even if it's not that they're psychic), they'll be rejected and lose
Diana Marie
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sabine is sent to live with her grandma. Tired of feeling like an outcast she decides to keep her psychic powers to herself,even from the one person who can help her-her grandma. When she get's a job in her school's newspaper,being friends with popular cheerleader Penny love, and when Josh DeMarco starts to show more interest in her, she finally feels normal and fit's in. But everyday she's reminded she cannot be normal because she can never get her bossy sprit guide, Opal out of her mind or the ...more
Sophia Buhrow
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response: I loved it. At first I was hoping that it wouldn't be a series because I had a different book series to read after that. I didn't want to be strung out over getting the next book, but I guess the exact thing I didn't want to do is kind of happening. But either way it was a very wonderful story and I am definitely going to find the second book.

Plot: It starts off with Sabine helping edit the paper at her new school with her friend Manny. Sabine is a seer which means that she ca
Jayde Mackenzie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this little book.
I picked it up for some light reading,and am pleased to say I really liked it there wasn't to many things I didn't really like about it. One major thing was some parts of it where predictable, and there where a few typos.
I really enjoyed following Sabine through this story and feeling all her emotions while she could tell the future. Getting her dream guy, having a few friendship troubles. And making friends with someone seemingly completely different then her,
julieta
Kelly
There were parts of this book that I really, really enjoyed- namely Sabine's visions and the mysterious Dominic- and then there were parts that I never quite connected with.

To start with, Josh is the most freaking perfect person EVER. The guy volunteers at a Children's Hospital for Pete's sake. He doesn't lose his temper. He doesn't have any vices that were mentioned. He's... perfect. And let's face it, Mr Perfect would be nice in real life but in a story he's just boring. That right there was t
Kristy
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting this book was. It is by a local author who visited my daughters school. She was autographing books, so I bought 3, one for each of my older three daughters. Although I was intrigued by this author from the get go (she has the same first and last [maiden:] name as my mother, the middle is different)I assumed her books were written for younger reader, even though her genre claimed to be YA.

The MC, a 16 year old girl named Sabine, has inherited her gra
Karissa
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I have had this book forever on my Kindle and finally decided to give it a read. I believe there are six book in this series right now. This was a very quick read and was okay. The dialogue throughout is a bit stiff and awkward and the story is predictable.

The main character, Sabine, can see glimpses of the future and occasionally see ghosts. She is starting over at a new high school pretending to be a "normal" girl after some events at her old high school caused her to leave. When Sabine sees
~Mindy Lynn~
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy books about ghosts and psychics.
Recommended to ~Mindy Lynn~ by: Goodreads
I happen to love these types of stories having to deal with psychic/ghosts. I find them fascinating and when their done right, they can be a lot of fun to read. The characters are a lot of fun in this series as well. Penny-Love is the cheerleader/bestfriend. She is the biggest cliche in the book, but she's fun. My favorite characeters are Mannie and Thorn. Not that because that their the weirdos of the bunch and that is who I lean towards (I totally do), but because they are the most honest char ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

DON'T DIE, DRAGONFLY is the first book in Linda Joy Singleton's THE SEER series. If the next books are as good as book number one, this is sure to be one of my favorite book series (earning a place next to books by such fabulous authors as JK Rowling, Tamora Pierce, John Marsden, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and Scott Westerfeld).

Some problems have caused Sabine Rose to be expelled from her old school, and she just wants her time at Sheridan High to be n
Victoria
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I might never have found this book if not for my friend, who convinced me to read it.

While the writing style is fairly light and straightforward, I loved the story. Sabine lives with her grandmother, both of them gifted with unusual psychic powers. Sabine is still learning to control and use her abilities, with the help of her sometimes snide spirit companion Opal. But with her gift kept a secret, she manages to live a fairly normal high school life.

But then something happens. Sabine begins to b
Gladys Gonzales Atwell
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Original Review Date (posted on www.paperbackswap.com): 8/6/2010

I read this young adult book in one day! Maybe because I am twice as old as the suggested reader. I don't care though, because it helped me escape into a world of the paranormal. Sabine is a young girl trying to find her way in life with a secret that she hides only to protect herself from becoming the outcast she was in her former school. She finds her way through her mundane life and finds love, friends and people who really like
Marsha
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Recommended to Marsha by: Countrygirl_TN
Don't Die, Dragonfly is 288 pages of a fast pace adventure. 17 year old Sabine Rose is starting over. After foretelling the death of a high school student, Sabine is ostracized by her peers and her community. Therefore, her controlling mother sends her to live with her grandmother who seems to understand her unique abilities. Rose is fitting in her new environment just fine until her grandmother hires a young man, Dominic to assist with the farm and a girl at school becomes obsessed with a star ...more
Jennifer Melnyk
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, borrowed, 2011
This was an interesting book, but it was sort of difficult to work past the grammatical and flat-out word errors in this book. At one point, Sabine's love interest tells her that he will need to take up fishing when she shows up wearing some hook-type earrings, implying that he will need to do it to catch her. She responds with, "You're already caught me." It should have said you've already caught me. I can't really blame the author for these errors.. that's what the author pays her editors to c ...more
Joyce
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
So glad I got to reread this. It was so mind-blowing. I thought some stuff were unanswered...but that may be just me. Dominic is definitely my favorite. Don't get me wrong, Josh is your typical sweetheart guy, but Dominic steals my heart. He and Sabine are just so cute. I love their love-hate relationship. The mystery aspect was well thought-out. It definitely shocked and surprised me. I totally forgot as well how funny this novel was. The characters are so unique and quirky. They're al
Yareinis
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is about Sabine and how she got kicked out of her previous school because she predicted that a football player from her school was gonna die and then that same prediction happened.So the school thinks she killed him, then Sabine is triying to find out what DID kill him,so she goes into the school at night at the crime scene and search for clues then thats when she sees HIM.Hes alive..or not.This book is good and I found it in Ms Lacy books.
Ashley R.
This book was amazing, i stayed up to 3am reading this. Every time a book ended, i was so excited to read the next book. this series will make you laugh, it will draw you in, and its a perfect escape. I read this series during my senior year in high school, and it made the time pass by. If you havent had the opportunity, to read this book, go to your library and start. its fantastic!!! its a great paranormal read.
Amy Lynn
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book I thought it was so good!

Sabine is an average girl with one power no one else has. She sees the future. When Sabine starts having visions of this girl with a dragonfly tattoo. She goes on the search to find this girl. Will she risk everything she has worked for or will she help this girl before it's too late?
Omi
Mar 27, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is geared toward young adults but I enjoyed those feelings of young crushes and first time love. The conflict Sabine feels as to whether she is blessed or cursed by her gift comes across to the reader. Only thing I didn't like is that the ending leaves you hanging and if you are interested in learning more need to read the next 4 books in the series.
Rashmeet Kaur
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Psychic!

Yeah baby, that's what I am talking about. This book has been a joy to read. I couldn't help reading the next book in the series as soon as I put this down.

"Don't Die Dragonfly" is a mystery book full of magic and suspense and romance on the sidelines - which was cute and never annoying.

I found this book five star worthy. Way to go, L.J. Singleton!
Amanda
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was a great start to the series. The story is very interesting and I haven't read one like it before. Definately something I'd recommend. You can't help but want to know what adventures Sabine will encounter to achieve her goal.
Karla
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
ok this book is so awesome! i feel sorry for those who havent read it yet! this story is about a girl who can see well ghosts! she helps them pass on to the other life i guess but along the way she has a small romance part well maybe a big one anyway u people should read this!
JoAnn
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to JoAnn by: friend at school
this also fused a lot of things i like into one really good book. it was like realistic fiction and fantasy blended together with a bunch of stuff that seemed irrelevant but made the story much better than it could've been without it.
Yodamom
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 stars This Kindle freebie was an interesting story but predictable and rushed at times. The teenage high school drama was a bit too much for me. I can see the author has talent and I hope she continues in her craft.
Shivekat
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
this book was pretty good. good mystery, drama, and characters. I liked how it's showing her progress in building confidence in herself and how she is starting to see being different is a good thing. definitely a fun and easy read.
Kira Simion
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The ONLY reason it was four stars and not five was the fact that the ending and where the dragonfly girl would die was so freaking obvious. I liked the mystery still so this was a fun short read.

And because it was SO short!
Laura Beth
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but ended up really enjoying it! Just ordered the next one in the series from the library...
Young Adult at Heart: Don't Die Dragonfly (February 2016) 5 6 Feb 02, 2016 07:37AM
Coming in 2009 -- New format & bonus story! 6 28 Aug 15, 2011 08:29AM

• Le Passager
  • L’allégorie des truites arc-en-ciel
  • Blue is for Nightmares (Blue is for Nightmares, #1)
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
  • Touching Darkness (Midnighters, #2)
  • Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3)
  • Mirror Bound (The Witchling Academy #2)
  • Analiese Rising
  • Seventh Born (The Witchling Academy #1)
  • Endure (Defy, #3)
  • Ignite (Defy, #2)
  • Rodéo Blork (Kid Paddle, #6)
  • Carnage Total (Kid Paddle, # 2)
  • The Midnight Dance
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • Fae Trials (Royal Fae Academy #1)
  • Court of Shadows: A Sword & Sorcery Epic Fantasy (Chronicles of Pelenor, #2)
I started writing at 8 years old and when I speak to kids at schools or libraries I show them the stories I wrote as a child. I loved mystery series like Judy Bolton and Nancy Drew, and my DREAM was to write a series of my own. This happened when My Sister the Ghost was published by Avon books in 1994.

Since then I’ve been fortunate to write other series like The Seer, Dead Girl trilogy, Strange En

The Seer (6 books)
  • Last Dance (The Seer, #2)
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • Sword Play (The Seer, #4)
  • Fatal Charm (The Seer, #5)
  • Magician's Muse (The Seer, #6)

News & Interviews