Start by marking “The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)

The Wild One

(Peter Ash #5)

War veteran Peter Ash tracks a murderer and his criminal family through the most forbidding and stark landscape he has ever encountered, in the latest thriller from the national bestselling author of The Drifter.

Losing ground in his fight against post-traumatic claustrophobia, war veteran Peter Ash has no intention of getting on an airplane--until a grieving woman asks Pet
Published January 14th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

Start your review of The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)
Tim
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story is nearly sidelined by an incomplete ending, thus earning only 5 of 10 stars
Yigal Zur
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is a nice thriller but not great. it is enjoyable but have it flaws. i admit it took me around 60 pages to start to enjoy. l have read any of Patrie thrillers before. so to take for granted that the reader knows the history and the burden Ash is carry in his wounded soul takes time. the title is exactly what you meet first - a wild one. slowly we find out why he is so brutal and aggressive to humanity or to the worst part of it. Patrie have a great sense of landscape and his description of th ...more
Janet Newport
Definitely worth waiting for.

I've adored Peter Ash since he first appeared in The Drifter... that adoration continues.

Early on, The Wild One felt like I'd stepped into a ping-pong match. Back and forth, forward and backward between unrelated sets of characters in unrelated places. Then the story came together and took off at jet speed. How do you figure out who the good guys are in blizzard conditions when you can't tell what color their hats are in the resulting white-out? And deal with a sever
Kay
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"the simple prospect of dying made him feel more alive"

No doubt about it, Peter Ash has issues. This is a gripping thriller from the very first chapter.
The Wild One can be read as a standalone. Peter, a recon Marine commander of 8 years has Post Traumatic stress following his extensive deployments, possibly of what had happened in Fallujah. His PTSD episodes lessen when he's amid threatening circumstances. In this installment Peter heads to Iceland to rescue a boy, taken by his murderous Icela
Scott
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this new, exciting, and fresh series – The Drifter – introduced Peter Ash, an ex-military man who suffers greatly from post-traumatic claustrophobia from tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. A promotional blurb on the cover from Lee Child certainly didn’t hurt either.

The second book – Burning Bright – continued Peter’s attempt at re-integrating himself into society, provided a tighter and more intricate plotline, and introduced June Cassidy, a strong potential love interest.

The thi
Scott A. Miller
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Ash is the real deal as Lee Child says. Petrie wrote something special here. What a ride! I enjoyed it from the first page. In the last year I have read all of the Ash books. It’s going to suck having to wait a year for the next one. If you haven’t read Petrie, start now, this series is incredible.
Mojo Shivers
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Fucking Vikings.”

I’ve been watching and reading a lot of The Witcher and it always amuses when he utters his famous gruff one liners, “Hmmm,” and “Fuck.” Like Jack Reacher and The Witcher, Peter Ash can be a man of few words. But the three or four times he shakes his head in disbelief and announces the two words cracks me up.

It’s not that the comment isn’t warranted. It’s actually the opposite, how much he sums up the situation in a neat bow like that is amazing.

At first I was skeptical of the
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One hell of an adventure!

This latest adventure pushes Peter like he’s never been pushed. He’s up against a State official who wants him out of the country, a family who wants to keep their private business their own, and his own personal “static”. All throughout this read, I kept asking “how is he going to get out of this one??”. This entire book is Peter versus (insert here). It makes for one hell of a read, and a shocking revel at the end!
Michael McCormack
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from Petrie but the ending was abrupt and seemed too hasty. Iceland was the perfect set for the novel but I got the impression Petrie didn’t know where to take the ending or it was edited considerably before publishing. Still great action and look forward to the next.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
Titling this installment of the Peter Ash series THE WILD ONE certainly constitutes truth in advertising. Setting Peter up as a fish out of water --- and a wounded fish at that --- in Iceland manifests itself as a stroke of genius on Nick Petrie’s part. While the book is complete in itself, with a satisfying if not neatly wrapped conclusion, readers will be echoing the famous question posed repeatedly by DCI John Luther: “What now?”

We are getting ahead of ourselves, so let’s start at the beginni
Amanda G. Stevens
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
In perhaps his most straightforward civilian mission yet, veteran Marine Peter Ash sets out for Iceland with one purpose: bring home a kidnapped eight-year-old boy. Of course, there are obstacles. The American embassy (or is it?) wants him deported in 48 hours for unknown reasons; the boy's family have driven off previous investigators; a winter storm is coming that will teach this wilderness-savvy Wisconsin native a whole new appreciation for nature's fury; oh, and the claustrophobia that has p ...more
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Well, this novel holds humongous amounts of physical action. Most of which is highly and ruinous of life- extreme violence. Ash is compared to Reacher in the trailers and other ads I read before I read the book. But I feel Peter Ash is quite different, but only equivalent in the take down skill/power for intense and immediate fisticuffs.

It was the characterizations that set me back during the read- which took me eons longer than an average fiction book of these many pages. It was the non-contin
Don
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Petrie is a gifted wordsmith with a nack for storytelling. In The Wild One, the fifth book in the Peter Ash series, Nick puts both of these talents to good use. Nick packs the book full of action while still gifting the readers with lush descriptions in a manner that's remicient of Daniel Silva. If you're already of fan of Peter Ash, you'll love The Wild One. If your new to the series, pull up a chair and crack open this book. You won't be disappointed.
Sheri Gulde
I have read all of this series. I was disappointed with this story. I missed Peter Ash's interactions with his companions, June Cassidy and Lewis. These characters usually insert some humor into the stories and there was no humor in this one. The ending was disappointing.
Donna
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Peter Ash has had PTSD ever since he returned from Iraq. He has extreme claustrophobia so he can barely manage to be indoors. Now add horrible dreams to that.

He's hired by grandmother Catherine Price to find her 8 year old grandson in Iceland. Catherine tells Peter that her son-in-law Erik murdered her daughter Sara and took grandson Oskar to Erik's homeland of Iceland. Peter is detained at the airport, told he's not welcome, and given a return ticket for 2 days later. Anyone who know
Timothy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Petrie is stellar and his Peter Ash series is one of the finest series out there. These books are well written with well drawn characters that you genuinely care about.
In The Wild One, Peter is trying and failing to control his PTSD from the war. Unable to escape from the dreams if people who died underbid watch, Peter takes a job from a wealthy woman whose grandson is missing with his father who is accused of killing his wife
who is her daughter. The real story however is that she did over
Jeffrey
Peter Ash is back in another blow the doors off action thriller. While a little slow in the beginning, Petrie gets in high gear once the action gets to Iceland as he has our hero tackle the weather, some burly Icelandic men, cops with batons and killers all to try and find a little boy, who may have been kidnapped by his killer dad.

There are a couple of slick twists and not all of the action involves fisticuffs but Peter Ash is up for almost any challenge.

I was sick for two weeks and really cou
Hazel Bright
Jan 22, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that Nick Petrie is running out of ideas and has to plunk down his character in a really weird place and hope that makes it interesting. It does not. Too bad. The first novel in this series was just great.
James Winchell
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughly enjoyed the tail. I enjoyed how Nick took you from the beginning 12 months prior to the future and back. It keep me trying g to figure out who was who which keep the suspense out throughout the entire book. Enjoyed the Iceland side of the book and how a winter storm could effect the country.
Stuart Ashenbrenner
I don't think I've ever said this about a mystery/thriller novel, but this book is absolutely beautifully written. I don't really know how else to describe it. Nick Petrie's books and writing continues to get better and better, and the plot and characters keep growing, improving, and developing. Petrie's writing, at times, almost feel like reading poetry or Shakespeare, with his vivid descriptions, allowing the reader see, smell, hear, or feel exactly what's happening in the scene. This novel is ...more
Maddie Taylor
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute blast. Peter Ash again finds trouble, but this time he is all on his own. Everyone around him is trying to stop him from finding what he went to do. He will stop at nothing even if it means almost dying in the massive snow storm coming in, vicious killers, and cops chasing him. It keeps you on your toes, with a new twist always right there. Peter Ash at his best!
Suzanne
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE WILD ONE welcomes back Peter Ash, our troubled protagonist, with PTSD so severe that he is only ever somewhat relaxed when his life is threatened or he is in the middle of a blizzard. Luckily in this tale, Ash is able to suffer both blizzards and life threatening conditions multiple times and still pursue his mission. Author Nick Petrie has created a character that is engaging and compelling in multiple settings; readers can almost watch him slowly improve bit by bit, even as he doubts that ...more
Alicia
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Ash is back in another action packed thriller. He heads out for some personal time to try and figure out his life. Until he receives a phone call from a former marine he served with.

He is asked to speak with a woman about her grandson. The police have told her her daughter has been killed by her husband and that her grandson is missing. She believes the boy is alive and wants Peter to help find him.

He agrees to look into it and heads off to Iceland. He is stopped at the airport, someone fr
Adam
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wild One is yet another really good entry in the Peter Ash series. Nick Petrie sets himself up for success by substantially changing the "formula" that has held true for the first four novels of the series. By changing the setting to Iceland, and removing all of the recurring ancillary characters, he breathes some fresh life into the series, even when it didn't necessarily need it.

As with all these novel, there are certainly plenty of derivative plot elements, but none that overwhelm the she
Darcy
It really felt like Peter was isolated int his one. Part of it was due to June and Louis not being in on the action and the other part was that Peter was in a foreign country, one where he doesn't know the language. Everything was so hard for him, nothing went as planned, but Peter being Peter figured things out quickly. By the end of the book I was sad for what happened, sad for those left behind, but so glad that Peter helped a precious person be safe.
Garlan ✌
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Another good book in the series! It took a while for this to "click" for me, but once it did, the reading went by in a hurry. Peter Ash travels to Iceland in this offering, running up against some shady Americans, mistrusting Vikings, and a cast of other hard characters, the greatest adversary - the weather. Good characters, but the ending was a little ambiguous. Not sure if we're going to meet a few of the actors in the next books to come.
Steven Zacharius
This was the first book I’ve read of his. It reminded me of the Taken movie series where Liam Neeson is trying to track down the kidnappers of his daughter. The action was good and it was definitely fast paced I felt that the story could have used some more depth to it. But it was an enjoyable read. This is part of the Peter Ash series.
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Wow! What a ride. Fast-paced thriller that crosses the ocean from the US to Iceland. Peter Ash is a nuanced character, so real that you swear you know him in everyday life. Loved this, and hope it keeps me on pace to reach my reading challenge this year.
Nick Stika
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 5th in the Drifter series. Petrie is easily cementing himself into the vigilante hero genre, writing books I'm coming to enjoy as much as the Jack Reacher books. Looking forward to spending more time with Peter Ash.
Charisse
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5. A little disappointed with this. It was all over the place for me. I’m hoping this is just a blip in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
quality of writing 2 8 Nov 26, 2020 11:27AM

• The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • The Promise
  • House on Fire
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The World That We Knew
  • A Single Thread
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • To Love a Man
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • The Magician's Assistant
  • Inland
  • Real Men Will (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #3)
  • The Lying Room
  • The Wives
  • Shadow Sight (Ivy Granger, #1)
Nick Petrie received his MFA in fiction from the University of Washington, won a Hopwood Award for short fiction while an undergraduate at the University of Michigan, and his story “At the Laundromat” won the 2006 Short Story Contest in The Seattle Review, a national literary journal. A husband and father, he has worked as a carpenter, remodeling contractor, and building inspector. He lives in Mil ...more

Peter Ash (6 books)
  • The Drifter (Peter Ash, #1)
  • Burning Bright (Peter Ash, #2)
  • Light It Up (Peter Ash, #3)
  • Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)
  • The Breaker (Peter Ash, #6)