Start by marking “A Man Devoured by His Body, Food & Work: How to Survive Psychological Disorders, and Thrive” as Want to Read:

I'm Stuart McRobert. For 40-plus years I battled with attitudes, beliefs and behaviors that are commonly labeled as symptoms of three psychological disorders--muscle dysmorphia, orthorexia, and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD). The consequences were grave, and drove me to consider suicide.

But I survived, and eventually thrived, and was finally at peace wit
Published January 15th 2020 by CS Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Man Devoured by His Body, Food & Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man Devoured by His Body, Food & Work

Start your review of A Man Devoured by His Body, Food & Work: How to Survive Psychological Disorders, and Thrive
Michael
Apr 18, 2021 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book a 3/5 as it's a great book, i just wanted to keep a note for myself.

You found some good elements in this book, and it helped lead you to the real cause of conversation, which is perfectionism. The long term results of emotional abuse is painful to endure but i'm working through it now cause i know where all the shame comes from.

i am not my accomplishments, i am not my purchases, i am not my thoughts and anxieties. Those are just things that my perfectionism uses to show tha
R.K. Emery
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Wow, this book really highlights how much a spiral certain issues can create in our lives. I have a huge respect for Stuart McRobert for bringing these issues to life and showing that eating disorders and body image issues are not only happening in women. I think that it could almost be worse for a guy who is going through something like this and thinking he is alone, so Stuart putting himself out there really sheds light on a real issue. Kudos to him for that!

I think the great part about this
C. Gonzales
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Stuart McRobert has a wonderful and compelling story to share and he has managed to really share it in a way that shows vulnerability and determination. It's a wonderfully written account that provides factual information, real life experience, motivation, and so much more. It's a great way to gain inspiration to create your own success! ...more
Kathy
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very uncomfortable read in some ways; many demons to face for quite a few. But heartening and well-written.
Samantha Turley
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very powerful read with a very important message. I applaud Stuart McRobert for sharing his story to help others. Worth the read for sure!
Alan Rainey
Dana Jones
Feb 23, 2020
Franchtoasty
Mar 01, 2020

• The Wisdom of Mike Mentzer: The Art, Science and Philosophy of a Bodybuilding Legend
  • The Master: The Long Run and Beautiful Game of Roger Federer
  • Venom! (Natalie McMasters Mysteries, #4)
  • A Call from Above
  • Western Wishes
  • DIANA The Voice of Change
  • The Lost Train
  • Solosexual: Portrait of a Masturbator
  • The Wingless Angel
  • Interdicted Space (Interstellar Enforcement Agency, #2)
  • Heart to Beat: A Cardiac Surgeon's Inspiring Story of Success and Overcoming Adversity--The Heart Way
  • A State of Decay: Your Dental Guide to Understanding and Treating "Meth Mouth"
  • A Curse of Mayhem (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #2)
  • GenderQueer:  A Story from a Different Closet
  • Laurel's Safe Harbor (The Flowers of Avenel, #4)
  • Struggle Bus: The Van. The Myth. The Legend.
  • El Gringo
  • Counting on Trust: A Novel About Theft of Research, Loving Sex, and Murder
Stuart has had around 1,000 articles published in print magazines. He wrote a monthly column for the UK’s leading bodybuilding magazine for 22 consecutive years. He also authored several acclaimed books including BEYOND BRAWN and BUILD MUSCLE LOSE FAT LOOK GREAT, and published his own magazine for 15 years. But his success as a writer was born out of his efforts to survive the profound struggles h ...more