Start by marking “From 1 to 10” as Want to Read:
From 1 to 10

From 1 to 10

A bright and vivacious counting book for the very young featuring the paintings of renowned Dutch artist and author Mies van Hout
Published May 2019 by Pajama Press

To ask other readers questions about From 1 to 10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From 1 to 10

Start your review of From 1 to 10
Jon Nakapalau
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when I am depressed I read 'counting from 1 to 10' books - I think it takes me back to a time when everything was simple and innocent...this book has beautiful illustrations.
Rachael Scott
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bright, beautiful pictures. This is a simple counting book. Great for reading with young readers.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Author-illustrator Mies van Hout (Friends, Happy) brings readers another joyously bright and engaging book with From 1 to 10. A wonderfully colourful, appealing, and spare counting book, van Hout draws and holds the readers' attention with clear, highlighted numbers and descriptors, and super artwork. From '1 belly' on a huggable bear, '4 wings' on a vivid butterfly, to '7 stripes' on a beaming fish, the counting examples and accompanying illustrations are eye-catching and invite young readers
The Library Lady
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the padded binding, love the art. The instructions for teaching counting at the back of the book, I don't love so much. Can't they just read it and enjoy it together, and won't most adults figure out how to use it?
Austin Gullett
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A counting book as good as any other and illustrated more interestingly than most.
Robin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Visually appealing, simple counting book on sturdy pages. Highly recommended for ages 0-3.
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-2
I always appreciate simple counting books. And I love that the author includes tips in the back.
Sandra
Jul 28, 2019 marked it as hunter
This is a great counting book and the first one my 2.5yo actually engages with, probably because it was so simple and colorful. Definitely a hit.
Melissa
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept, kids, storytime
Good for toddler time.
Syntha Green
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bright and bold wonderful illustrations
Kelly
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the simplicity of this counting book. Bold illustrations.
Mary
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and simple. Perfect for read-alouds with 1-3 y/o.
Barbara
With suggestions about how to help a youngster learn to count in the back matter, this striking board book takes readers from one to ten in charmingly unique ways. Readers won't find any apples or boring objects as they count what they see. In fact, for instance, the number one is matched with a most attractive red belly, number seven goes with the vertical stripes on a fish, and nine necessitates counting the shiny white teeth of a crocodile. The book was originally published in the ...more
Julia
This was a really fun storytime read, with lots of opportunities for toddlers to count along or find their own body parts. Worked well for my big group, but would shine even more in a smaller group or as a lapsit book, where the child could point out or trace the elements on the page. Love the reinforced pages for toddlers and the counting tips at the end for further caregiver-child early literacy development!
Alicia Evans
There are quite a few counting books out there, and this one is a nice addition. The items to count don't follow the usual route of "4 cats, 5 dogs, 6 mice, etc." Instead, the reader is asked to count identifying factors or body parts "2 ears, 3 spots, etc." It was a nice to find a book that had a change of pace within the genre.

For: readers needing a basic book about counting.

Possible red flags: some readers may find it anticlimactic or lacking in plot.
Janet
This tile was first published in the Netherlands in 2018. The double page spreads feature one colorful animal depicted on the background of a primary color with one feature on the animal to count corresponding to the number, for example the eight legs of the octopus. This is definitely a beginning counting book for the very youngest.
Also included are five easy common sense suggestions for counting with the youngest child.
MaryLibrarianOH
A simple counting book that also offers come good vocabulary opportunities.
kim
nothing special
Tracie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Would be great for babytime.
Meredith
Various animals exemplify the numbers 1 to 10.

This picture book teaches counting from 1 to 10 and basic animal body parts. The illustrations are brightly colored and stylized. They reminded me of Eric Carle's illustrations for Bill Martin's Bears series.

Five activities to help children learn and understand numbers are given at the end of the book.
That One Librarian

• Just Because
  • I Am a Tiger
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • How Do You Dance?
I grew up in a village in the south of Holland called Hapert. My father allways told us stories. When he was telling we were all sitting around him. I also liked reading, but most of the time I was drawing.
When I was very young I knew that I wanted to become a drawer. And I didn't know what to do otherwise.