Start by marking “The Book of Goddesses & Heroines” as Want to Read:
The Book of Goddesses & Heroines

The Book of Goddesses & Heroines

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This popular reference work contains alphabetical listings of 1,533 mythological female deities. This is the only complete, one-volume recitation of their legends in any available source. Also contains an index of associations and groupings of goddess "families". With photos from the Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago.
Published January 28th 1990 by Llewellyn Publications (first published August 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Goddesses & Heroines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Goddesses & Heroines

peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، زنده یاد بانو <مانوگان> پژوهشِ بسیار خوب و نسبتاً کاملی را انجام داده است
بسیاری از موضوعاتی که در این کتاب آورده شده با اخبار و رویداد هایی که در کتبِ مرجع، خوانده بودم همخوانی داشت
در موردِ الهه های باستانی و اساتیری (اساطیری) یا همان خدایانِ از جنسِ دوست داشتنی و گرامیِ «زن» مطالبِ بسیار جالب و خواندنی را در کتاب آورده بود که سبب میشود تا پی به اهمیتِ «زن» در تاریخ و زندگیِ انسان هایِ باستانی بُرد
نویسنده در بینِ این مطالبِ تاریخی مهّم و البته جذاب، حتی به تاریخِ بی ارزشِ
Weavre
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in reading mythology
Awesome, straightforward reference that makes a great companion when reading unfamiliar mythology. My copy of it has the ISBN 0-525-47664-4, which Goodreads doesn't quite pull up correctly, but that's OK.

And btw, Pat ... no, you don't have to be a guy to write acompanion book of Gods and Heroes! You put the idea out there, asked, etc., but isn't 27 years long enough to give them to do it? Go for it! Lots of us would like to have it! :)
Barbara
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A rich resource, one which I return to frequently, and have for many years.
Sally Rhett
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my fundamentals
Inara
May 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody interested in goddesses
Title in German:
Lexikon der Göttinnen

This is an encyclopedia about goddesses and heroines from the beginning of mankind till today. To every goddess we can find information about the cult, myths, origin and geographical extension. Furthermore there is an index of goddesses arranged by attributes, cultural classification and a listing of feast days at the end of the book. Many photos are making this book even more interesting. Its one of my favorite reference books.
Heather
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting reference book, but it includes the outdated and racist theory that the people who built the pyramids were invaders from the east rather than, you know, black Egyptian people. If it has that turd in it, I don't know how much I can trust the rest of the information. It also only covers Arabic, Egyptian, and North African/Carthaginian/Phoenician for Africa, completely skipping Sub-Saharan Africa.
Veronica Ibarra
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I love how this book puts me on the path of legends and myths I was unfamiliar with before reading it. Interesting authorial interjections. Because this is written dictionary or encyclopedia style you may miss the tone if you only read entries at random, however, if you read it from cover to cover a picture is painted of the overall relationship between many cultures and the detrimental impact of patriarchy on spirituality. It has spiked my curiosity to research more.
Allison
This is a great reference book. It is heavily slanted towards reviving goddess culture today in a pagan or wiccan context but I think it can be enjoyed by anyone discovering mythology. It's feminist perspective is a nice balance to the habit male historians have had of labeling anything remotely feminine as a "fertility charm" or some such.
Nicole Diamond
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Susan
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive encyclopedia of Goddesses and Heroines across cultures, cross-referenced by which Goddesses might help in which situations. I got the copy from the library and then was disappointed to find that I could not find a copy for my own shelves.
Gwnhwyfer
Jul 15, 2011 marked it as looks-interesting
From the bibliography of Ellen Dugan's Garden Witchery (2003).
Tamara Agha-Jaffar
An invaluable encyclopedia on goddesses and heroines throughout the world.
Kim
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Essential for anyone studying the Feminine spirit...
Erin
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for Goddess/heroine myths.
Stacey
Dec 28, 2013
Anne
Apr 08, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Grandmother of Time: A Woman's Book of Celebrations, Spells, and Sacred Objects for Every Month of the Year
  • The Book of Goddesses
  • The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects
  • Ariadne's Thread: A Workbook of Goddess Magic
  • Be A Goddess! A Guide to Celtic Spells and Wisdom for Self-Healing, Prosperity and Great Sex
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions
  • Pagan Prayer Beads: Magic and Meditation with Pagan Rosaries
  • Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • The Storyteller's Goddess: Tales of the Goddess and Her Wisdom from Around the World
  • Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings
Patricia Monaghan was a poet, a writer, a spiritual activist, and an influential figure in the contemporary women's spirituality movement.
More about Patricia Monaghan

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99