Start by marking “The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue” as Want to Read:
The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue

The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  889 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Trudy Marino never expected her life to turn out perfectly. But at forty-six, she was content with what she did have: her caring husband Rick . . . twenty-plus happy years raising three accomplished kids . . . and a lovely house in the artistic, vibrantly diverse town of Pueblo, New Mexico. But a heartbreaking discovery and a suddenly shattered marriage now has Trudy looki ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue

Jamie Raintree
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I swooned over this novel. The style of this book is only for a particular type of reader--it has a slow pace and is very character-driven--but thankfully, that is my favorite style.

As I read this book, I was in awe at Samuel's well-developed writing technique and the depth of her characters. There is so much genuine culture throughout the cast and I enjoyed seeing their world through different lenses. I related to Trudy from the beginning and loved following her story.

This is one of those books
Nina Draganova
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Припомняйки си книгата, си мисля, дали наистина има такава любов?
И възможно ли е да сме половината от едно цяло?
За съжаление, моята половина седи някъде ненамерена .
Забравила бях,колко ми харесва тази книга.
Съчетание от любови,изневери,драми и радости.
За търсенията на 3 различни жени,всяка със своите съмнения и изпитания,които живота ни поднася.

"......лесно е да бъдеш добър, когато всичко ти е наред. Само да
понесеш няколко силни удара и истинското ти лице веднага излиза наяве."

"Откривам,че про
Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord)
The neighbors of Kitchen Avenue are building a strong support system for each other. Young Shanelle, mother of two, has built her dream life with her husband. She loves keeping a nice home and raising her boys, and she also has a burning desire to write. Through emails with her mentor, Shanelle learns to push herself creatively and how to balance her family with her passion. Elderly Roberta has just lost her husband and is sorting through life's memories, a task making her granddaughter nervous ...more
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This was another Lifetime movie bottled into a book, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It read quickly and was a nice diversion.

The characters in here were likeable enough, I guess, but no one really stood out as anything special. They were a little bland, and all of their stories were so man-centric that they kind of bugged me after awhile. Don't they have anything else going on in their lives than the men they're pining for?

Another thing that struck me as odd in this book was that the aut
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
In a very short time, Barbara Samuel has become one of my favorite writers. “The Sleeping Night” remains one of my all time favorite books. In this well-written "The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue", Barbara Samuel tells the tale of 4 women who live on the same street, struggling with their relationships versus their own life’s ambitions, their sense of self ; it’s not a light story, on the contrary it deals with realistic issues, and emotions run deep. At moments, it’s quite raw.
The main character
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
I couldn't stop reading and I am still thinking about it the next day. I liked that Trudy pulled herself out of grief and devastation to find her old/real self after being a wife and mother for so many years. I liked her. (view spoiler) ...more
Sue M
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed the characters but was not impressed with the sex encounters..2 many and i think it made the women appear weak
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a few chapters to get into this novel, but once I did, I was hooked. It centers on the lives of four women neighbors who are struggling with change and loss.

Roberta loses her husband of 62 years. She is supported by her church and neighbors, but has days when she can't manage to get out of bed.

Roberta's granddaughter, Jade, comes to stay with her to help her though her loss. Jade's ex-husband is a scammer and thief who is doing jail time. But, he still calls her, asking for money and
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how this author draws me in with her beautiful writing, creating strong women characters with complex pasts and creative dreams. Their hobbies and careers are full of purpose and help the reader get a strong sense of who these women are. She illustrates such supportive communities of women that I wish were my own.

Unfortunately, some of the writing felt judgmental of people in poverty, disability, and drug and alcohol addiction, pointing the issues out as character flaws, rather than the
Regina Mastrogiacomo
Once I begin one of these stories by Barbara Samuel I never want to stop until it ends and then I still want to know what happens next. I love her characters because they deal with problems in an adult way and never from victimized way. I love that the stories always have elements of helping entities that come in the form of spirit and of course all the animals that stick with the characters through thick or thin. I also love the setting that the characters find themselves and it's a character o ...more
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was really good; a bit more substantive than typical chick lit. I enjoyed the way the author centers the plot lines on the conflicts and intersection between a woman's sense of herself and her longing for a "good" relationship. Three interesting women from the same neighborhood explore various aspects of these themes. The reader of the audible version is very good. This was a book I had trouble putting down, but didn't want to end.
Jane Harris
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you like to read about hunky men with beautiful eyes, who are extremely good in bed, (respectful and kind, also,) this is the book for you. Don't forget to pair them with human "goddesses" who are both beautiful and brainy (not to mention, also good in bed.) Being a romantic fantasy, there must be a happy ending for all of the main characters. Unrealistic in most regards, the author has created a somewhat engrossing read with some insight on the dynamics of marital relationships.
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading other people's reviews. Even though there were quite a few low ratings and people's complaints, I really enjoyed this book. It is an enjoyable book about women and their wants and needs....about their dreams of fulfillment. I am not at all into womens rights but do believe that women have so much power and need to use that power; need to find what makes them happy.
I loved all the characters and how they supported each other.
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Много четивна книга. Много истинска книга. Книга за живота, за болката, за несгодите, за заслужените и изстрадани успехи. Вярвам, че всеки читател може да припознае момент от живота си в житейските съдби на главните героини, да ги осъди за взетите решения или да преживява с тях.

Не ѝ давам най-високата оценка заради отворения финал, който, обаче, предвещава щастлив край за всеки от героите.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It has been years since I read this book, but I still remember it. It is a wonderful story and is just one of those books that makes you feel and empathize with the characters and those feelings remain with you. Each woman's story feels real and like something you could relate to because you have either gone through it or a friend has. Just a great read.
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started out very weird... but got good quick. An odd collection of characters but it sure reeled me in and kept me up reading late more than one night. I love O'Neil's books. She has a way of crafting relationships that touch you deeply and I was genuinely sad when this one ended. Would love a sequel.
Melanie S Read
Story of four women's victories

The four women, neighbors, are people I would like to know. They support each other, they bend and grow through their problems. They become better women. I suppose I'm disappointed in the ending. I wanted to know how they dealt with their new strength.
Dick R. McCart
Lots going on here

The author is engaging with plenty of story lines to keep one busy. The author leads each chapter with a clip of heavy poetry or poetic writing. I couldn't see any connection between the clip and the chapter. These characters are very sexually inclined. All is well that ends well.
Nancy Ledford
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this,book!!

I liked this book. The author writes beautifully. The characters lived and breathed for me. I will read her other books. The scenes were vivid .
I was moved by the characters and felt the emotions.
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up enjoying this story very much as the women's lives circled around and brought some clarity and resolve for each. It was a satisfying read in the end and one I couldn't put down.
Pam Wessel-estes

This is a book to savor - filled with love, and pain, strength and forgiveness. I fell into the story and loved every poetic moment.
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars is a bit generous. The second half of the book was disappointing.
Janet Friesner
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not the best of her books. Have liked every one of her books I have read so far but this one just did not appeal to me.
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did not finished. Wasn't interested in the characters.
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started a little slow (or maybe I had trouble remembering who was who), but any book with a main character who loved the poetry of Lorca, will suck me in. Enjoyable growth over time of different women finding the right path for fulfilling life.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There comes a time in all our lives where we need to examine what we wanted to do, what we did, and what will we do. In this novel, Samuel explores the lives of four women on Kitchen Avenue who are, at different ages and stages of their lives, doing just that. The central story focuses on 46-year-old Trudy Marino, who is adjusting to being alone again after she kicks out her husband for infidelity. Across the street, her elderly neighbor is mourning the death of her husband. Jade, her granddaugh ...more
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
his is one of those novels that draws you in from the first page and you just can't put it down. At the novel's opening, Berta is losing her husband of 62 years to a long illness. As her friends gather round, the novel focuses in turn, on the lives of each of her neighbors.
Trudy is recently separated from her husband of 20+ years. His infidelity took her by surprise. As she struggles to make her way as a single woman in a world she never imagined facing as anything but a couple, she takes stock
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ms. Samuel's books are heavy on the women characters strength in overcoming adversity. Her books don't just give you a pretty story at the end. The main point of her books is the journey that the characters take to get to the end, whether pretty or not.
This book had me from the first page. The main character in this book is Trudy, a woman who thought she was in a great marriage until her husband cheated. Now she is trying to find herself and also justify the love she still feels for her husband
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
  • The Coming Home Place
  • The Wilder Sisters
  • Except My Love
  • The Garden Angel
  • The Sweet Spot (Sweet on a Cowboy, #1)
  • The Way of the Heart
  • Bond of Blood
  • Destination Wedding
  • The Woman He Married (A Magic City Duo Book 1)
  • Outback Promise
  • The Man Who Risked it All
  • The Garden of Happy Endings
  • Race for Redemption (The Grandmaster's Legacy #2)
  • A Valentine Wedding
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six
More about Barbara Samuel...

Fiction Deals

• Want Not
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99