Start by marking “Lost Goddesses of Early Greece: A Collection of Pre-Hellenic Myths” as Want to Read:
Lost Goddesses of Early Greece: A Collection of Pre-Hellenic Myths

Lost Goddesses of Early Greece: A Collection of Pre-Hellenic Myths

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  106 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
For thousands of years before the classical myths were recorded by Hesiod and Homer, the Goddess was the focus of religion and culture. In Lost Goddesses of Early Greece, Charlene Spretnak recreates, the original, goddess-centered myths and illuminates the contemporary emergence of a spirituality based on our embeddedness in nature.
Published August 3rd 1992 by Beacon Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Goddesses of Early Greece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Goddesses of Early Greece

Mariah
I wouldn't normally pick this up but Jennifer Reif used it as a source for Mysteries of Demeter which I am reading.
Call # BL782.S66 1992

In this book, Spretnak claims that before northern "barbarians" invaded Greece, idyllic matriarchal civilizations worshipped Greek goddesses. Then the awful warlike men demoted the peaceful mother goddesses and distorted the original mythology.

She includes myths about Gaia, Pandora, Themis, Hera, Artemis, Selene, Hecate, Athena, Demeter and Persephone. She says
Bart Everson
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This collection attempts to reconstruct the mythology of really ancient Greece — the stuff that came before the myths with which we are generally familiar today. Charlene Spretnak makes a convincing case that the versions we know were filtered and transformed by conquering patriarchal cultures. This book invites us to imagine what those myths might have looked like in the preceding oral tradition. It's an ecofeminist project with spiritual ramifications.

Strangely enough, I liked the introductor
Karen
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I never realized how patriarchal the Greek gods were until I read this book. It offers a new take on the feminine side of the ancient goddesses. Refreshing, new, and powerful. It's nice to read something that empowers the female energy.
Aitziber Conesa Madinabeitia
Obra corta pero muy interesante de leer. De fácil y rápida lectura pero no tan fácil digestión. Basandose en el hecho histórico de que la antigua Grecia era depositaria de una serie de culturas más antiguas a las invasiones Aqueas y Dóricas, pretende rescatar las imágenes originales de aquellas Diosas femeninas, consideradas como encarnaciones o figuraciones de la suprema energía femenina fundamental o Gran Diosa, que según teoría de la autora, han sido manipuladas y empequeñecidas en funciones ...more
Megan Bystricky
Nov 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Good enough if you're looking for stories, I suppose, but if you're trying to do any research on the characters you're SOL. Despite saying that she wouldn't fictionalize and embroider the stories, Spretnak does exactly that- understandable enough, as they are stories and she's trying to re-tell them as best she can; completely worthless for academics.
Vito Clarizio
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Introduced me to a topic I knew little about, but seems thin on footnoted research, just seems too fleshed out by the author. Interesting and raises questions about accepted views of early Greece, however.
Najah Lightfoot
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My only regret is I didn't come upon this book sooner. I believe it should be in every young woman's library and it should live aside all books of faith and religion. I will return to its pages time and time again, when the seasons change, when the Moon is new and when the Moon is full.
Anna
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good. Loved this book.
Sandy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion-myth
I liked this little known book of Spretnaks. She does simple renditions of Greek Goddess tales and leaves each page after each tale blank. It is very meditative.
Beverly J.
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just an absolutely outstanding book. This was a re-read from many, many moons ago. My memory did not fail me. This is a treasure, the illustrations exquisite. Adored every word.
Kay Baird
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Includes a non-rape version of the Persephone story.
Sep 10, 2013 added it
Wonderful introduction covering the re-writing of the earliest Greek myths by the conquering, patriarchal societies that overtook Greece.
Susannah
Dec 29, 2008 marked it as to-read
I have had a fascination with the earliest religions since I knew of their existance...
Heather
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, mythology
Not as academic as I had hoped, but it is backed by some research, and the myths are interesting.
Becky Carbaugh
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all women
Sylvi Shayl
Apr 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • 365 Goddess: A Daily Guide to the Magic and Inspiration of the Goddess
  • Egyptian Religion: Egyptian Ideas of the Future Life
  • The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow
  • Maiden, Mother, Crone: The Myth & Reality of the Triple Goddess
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
  • Sumerian Mythology
  • Hexcraft: Dutch Country Magick
  • The Witches' God
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • Inanna, Queen of Heaven and Earth: Her Stories and Hymns from Sumer
  • The Civilization of the Goddess
  • 8
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • Goddess of the Americas
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Classical Mythology
  • Hindu Goddesses: Visions of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Tradition
  • The Myth of the Goddess: Evolution of an Image
Charlene Spretnak has been intrigued throughout her life as a writer, speaker, and activist with dynamic interrelatedness. She has written nine books on various subjects in which interrelatedness plays a central role, including its expression in the arts. She is particularly interested in 21st-century discoveries indicating that the physical world, including the human bodymind, is far more dynamic ...more
More about Charlene Spretnak