Start by marking “Thoughts on Interaction Design” as Want to Read:
Thoughts on Interaction Design

Thoughts on Interaction Design

Interaction Designers—whether practicing as Usability Engineers, Visual Interface Designers, or Information Architects—attempt to understand and shape human behavior in order to design products that are at once usable, useful, and desirable. Although the value of design is now recognized as essential to product development, the field is often misunderstood by managers and

Perfect Paperback, 155 pages
Published March 23rd 2007 by Brown Bear LLC

To ask other readers questions about Thoughts on Interaction Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughts on Interaction Design

Kars
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
More like a pep-talk for interaction designers. It's a good book for those in doubt of the value they have to offer. Not many truly deep thoughts here, apart from the (valuable) point Kolko makes about interaction design being about more than just cosmetics, but in fact behavior. I also liked his ruminations on poetic interactions. But as a practitioner with almost ten years experience under my belt, I was hoping for more remarkable thoughts.
UX Book Club Philly
Jun 23, 2010 is currently reading it
Save the date! We'll be discussing the book Wednesday, August 25th at Red Tettemer (1 South Broad St). Jon Kolko will be skyping in to discuss his thoughts on interaction design live, so have your questions and comments ready.
Nathan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
well constructed insight about the UX status quo and how it corresponds with other fields and departments
Jiri
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm big fan of Jon Kolko's design synthesis methodology as he describes them in various talks online, and in the Exposing the magic of design. However, this book is quite different - it doesn't deal with the 'how to' of interaction design, but rather explores the 'why' from different angles, putting the emphasis on humane-driven, rather than technology-driven interactions.

Specifically, I enjoyed (in no particular order):
- thinking around temporal interactions
- designing products that are authent
Ninakix
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2011
I'd never actually got through this book, and Jon Kolko is somewhat of a minor god in the design world, so I was expecting a lot. Unfortunately, it feels a little dull, and a little confused on who the audience is, precisely. That in itself is frustrating, because you find yourself constantly having to switch "hats" and perspectives, but not in a way that makes you explore an issue deeper, but rather, just struggling to understand what the point is. I think this is partly a result of the goal of ...more
Rae
I'm not used to reading books with two columns on the page and that made it harder for me to stay involved in the book. (I notice I had the same problem with that iPad book that did the same two columns per page format). So I ended up skimming sections mainly because of the layout. Content-wise the book had a lot of interesting points and made me think. I really liked it and wished I could have stayed focused while reading it.
Nathanael Coyne
Every UX designer should read this book. The word "Thoughts" in the title is apt - Jon meanders through a whole range of topics, but to a depth of academic yet interesting analysis unmatched in other publications relating to design. Very articulate and highly readable. You'll either finish this book nodding your head and feeling more like a professional designer or you'll feel overwhelmed and realise all you do is draw pretty pictures.
Stacia
May 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Kolko takes himself way too seriously, apart from the odd and even slightly amusing (though mostly unrelated) images. I am comfortable enough in my job and my talents that I don't require this kind of pick-me-up. I'm not saying he's wrong, it's just that this book was a real drag to read because he comes off so high and mighty. The whole thing really grated on me.
Arganka Yahya
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the book is not for everyone and not that practical (as the author stated in the introduction). The book helps explain what is interaction design and the misunderstanding about the field. It defines design as a dialogue between human and things. On the later chapter Kolko shared his view about shifting from profit to social impact in solving wicked problems.
Mike Bell
There was too much justification for the discipline to be an enjoyable read. It does define UX, IA and other forms of interaction design. It also ties business success to design and the emphasis on the end user. Nice glossary of terms. If you want a book that makes you feel UX is important, this is a good one.
Amy
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely. I find that it makes one of the most compelling cases for Interaction Design because it links the technical and the personal. That is, design examples familiar in real life are explicitly linked -- the lightbulb goes off. Additionally, some of the advice in here is understated and practical. In all, an engaging and intelligent read.
Steve
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this book to get an idea of the interaction design industry. I am a graphic designer looking into how I may transition to IxD field, and this book was a great read. It was mixed with examples and theory of IxD. I would recommend it to novice interaction designers or just someone that is curious about the industry.
Jaelle
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book had some new insights for me on how to think of interaction design as more than just usability. I especially liked the authors aspirations for how IxD can be applied to everything from designing beautiful technology interfaces to designing social innovation.
Minah
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's great to read to figure out what Interaction Design is in very pragmatic standpoint. The big principle is that "Interaction Design is the creation of a dialogue between a person and a product, service, or system." And prove this principle in all aspects of its process.
Mateus Pinheiro
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on Interaction Design: John's view is simple, concise and undeniable. This is a must read for anyone working in the Design industry.
Cooper Liska-smith
Sep 19, 2010 marked it as to-read
I'm gonna go ahead and judge this book by its cover
Shenyu
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book does have some impressive insights but quite incomprehensible to me due to some abstract concepts and rarely used words.
Miguel Tokumoto
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a non-designer this is a really good book. It shows a clear way of problem solving not available to practitioners from other fields such as advertising and business in general.
Kyle Vice
May 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Central Iowa UX B...: The Role of Intuition in IxD 1 3 Oct 22, 2013 06:04AM
Central Iowa UX B...: Unicorn Designers 1 3 Oct 22, 2013 05:58AM
Central Iowa UX B...: Interaction Design As The Shaping of Behavior 2 7 Oct 07, 2013 07:10PM

• Thoughtful Interaction Design: A Design Perspective on Information Technology
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Paper Prototyping: The Fast and Easy Way to Design and Refine User Interfaces
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • Designing Visual Interfaces: Communication Oriented Techniques
  • The Persona Lifecycle : Keeping People in Mind Throughout Product Design
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Designing Social Interfaces
“What many refer to as intuition, then, is not the untaught or unteachable but instead is a learned understanding and respect of process, molded by experience and refined over a great deal of time and practice.” 6 likes
“Hidden in the physical work space, in the user's words, and in the tools they use are the beautiful gems of knowledge that can create revolutionary, breakthrough products or simply fix existing, broken products. People do strange things - unexpected things - and being there to witness and record these minute and quick moments of humanity is simply invaluable” 2 likes