Start by marking “The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)

The Janes

(Alice Vega #2)

The electric follow-up to Louisa Luna’s acclaimed thriller Two Girls Down, featuring private investigators Alice Vega and Max Caplan.

On the outskirts of San Diego, the bodies of two young women are discovered. They have no names, no IDs, and no family looking for them. Fearing the possibility of a human trafficking ring, the police and FBI reach out to Alice Vega, a
Published January 21st 2020 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Janes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Janes

Start your review of The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG! One of my favorite controversial, entertaining, smart couple is back! I’m not making my happy dance for celebration! I already hired Shakira and JLo perform for me before their Super Bowl Halftime show! I’m just clapping my hands and sipping my Chablis.

Yes, they are really back! I’m talking about one of the unique investigators Alice Vega, positions herself in the handstand every morning to think more clearly, doesn’t bother to get stoned during her interrogation, kicking asses of the
Debra
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Alice Vega and her partner, Max "Cap” Caplan, are back (so is the Bastard, btw)! I LOVED the first book in this series Two Girls Down and was so excited to see what Louisa Luna had up her sleeve next for this duo.

The police and FBI reach out to Alice Vega when two bodies of teenage girls are discovered outside of San Diego. The young women are believed to be the victims of a sex trafficking ring. Alice Vega, a private investigator, is known for finding missing people and she is asked to
megs_bookrack
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
After the successful conclusion to the missing Brandt girls case (see Two Girls Down), Alice Vega, reputable 'people-finder', returns home to California, leaving Max Caplan behind.

They both return to their regular lives, Alice being Alice, certifiable badass, and Cap being lovable, often bumbling, father to teenage daughter, Nell.

Soon enough however, a new case falls in Alice's lap and it's no surprise, she calls on dear ole' Caplan to help her out.

This time, he joins her on the West Coast to
Diane S ☔
3.5 Two young girls bodies are found. The police call in the kick ass Alive Vega to help identify the killers. She, of course, calls in Cap, who assisted her in the first of series. In that one there was definitely an attraction developing between the two and I enjoyed watching them become even closer.

These are both great, well! developed characters, and a well developed plot. Of course, as in many of these type of stories some belief needs to be suspended in certain sections. The first half of
Liz
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Two Girls Down grabbed me from the beginning so I was excited to see Luna’s second in the series. Alice Vega seems a little calmer this go around. And Cap is just happy to have a chance to work with her again.

Alice is brought in to help the police after two unidentified dead girls are found. It would appear they’re the victims of a human trafficking ring. It’s also possible the women were undocumented.

Alice is not the warm cuddly type. In fact, she’s a real hard a**. Even though she’s been
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
OMG! I cannot even tell you how much I loved this!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Even though I have never read about Vega and Cap before, I can honestly say that I am addicted. So much so that I have already purchased the first book so I can get to know them from the beginning.

This is the first time I’ve read this author and I absolutely love the characters that she has created. Vega and Cap are two opposites that know how to work together and do their work a wee bit, okay, pretty far outside of legal
Lori Lamothe
Alice Vega is a smart, tough, no-nonsense PI called in to investigate the death of two young Jane Does found outside San Diego. The Janes have no ID and nothing to help identify them, but one of the dead girls does hold something of interest. In her small hand is a crumpled piece of paper with a name scrawled across it: Alice Vega. The DEA isn't sure about Vega or her ex-cop partner Max “Cap” Caplan, but they like the idea that Alice has a reputation for getting things done. Ten grand in cash to ...more
Marianne
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Cap watched Vega carefully. He knew what her questions would be before she asked them, but she still managed to make them seem fresh, innocent, curious. She pulled every last bit of information from Sarita Guerra like she was winding the string on a kite, drawing it in for a tight, safe landing.”

The Janes is the second book in the Alice Vega series by American author, Louisa Luna. The two “Jane Does” were Latinas, probably illegals, with the same killer, and a piece of evidence indicates there
Karen Rush
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice and Cap are back, working together to solve another crime after making Cap an offer he couldn’t refuse. These two convincing and committed characters have a great rapport. Beautiful, tough-talking Vera is kick-ass, always seems to be one step ahead and can run circles around any tough guy. Cap is ethical, thorough and steady; someone who is dependable and will always cover your back. He also appears to have a bit of a crush on Alice. Never a dull moment, the story engaged me from beginning ...more
Tami
Don’t start this book unless you have a free day ahead of you, because once you start reading, you won’t want to put it down! It’s exciting from start to finish.

Private investigators Alice Vega and Max Caplan team up once again to help with an FBI investigation. Almost immediately they uncover some serious clues into the deaths of two young girls. Then, inexplicably, they are told to cease their investigation, which only makes them more determined to see it through.

This story was one wild ride
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

Wow! This book was one heck of a roller coaster ride! I was really excited to start reading this book after thoroughly enjoying the first book in the series, Two Girls Down. This book ended up being just as exciting as the first, if not more. It took me a bit to get into the story but once I did, I didn't want to put the book down. This was a really wonderful read.

Alice Vega is a private investigator and is known for solving some
Arpita Shrivastava
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Police and FBI approach Alica Vega, a private investigator who has the reputation to find the missing when they discover the bodies of two teenage girls in the outskirts of San Diego. These found bodies have no names, no known IDs, and nobody looking for them. there is a possibility of a human trafficking ring.

This was my first Louisa Luna book. I am impressed by her style of writing. This was an amazing, captivating and engaging book. The characters are well established and the author has
Bam cooks the books ;-)
In the second outing featuring Alice Vega and Max Caplan, the pair of private investigators are hired 'off the record' by the San Diego Police Department and DEA to look into the deaths of two young Latina women. The bodies were dumped separately but with similar wounds...and one was clutching a scrap of paper with Vega's name written on it.

Vega and Caplan make a great team even though their styles are so different: "She had a tendency to announce what she was thinking only when it was fully
☕️Kimberly
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What makes this series stand apart are PI Alice Vega and disgraced former cop, Max Caplan. The two make the perfect team. Smart, thoughtful, witty, and unique these two made me laugh, cringe, drop my jaw, cheer and smile like a fool.

Now the case they tackle is dark begins with the murder of two young Jane Does approx 12 years in age; sex trafficking. Cartel, crook agents and more await you in this suspenseful thriller. Through it all Alice and Cap keep their cool and investigate. Professionally
OutlawPoet
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sometimes you read a book that you simply don’t want to put down. This is one of those books.

Oh, it’s not going to be for everyone. We have heavy themes of sex trafficking of minors, immigration, and just what sometimes happens to children in cages. But we also have two terrific main characters, supporting characters to root for, and a whole host of villains that need their comeuppance.

It’s just a fast-paced, thrill ride of a book.

This is actually the 2nd book in the series, but it works as a
Jamie beauty_andthebook_

Having absolutely loved Two Girls Down by Louisa Luna previously, I was incredibly excited for the return of Alice Vega. Unfortunately, this one just did not do it for me. The story was too long and the case itself lacked the excitement I found in the first case. I'll chalk this one up to a one off and check out Book 3 in the future, but this one just fell flat.

Thank you to Doubleday for an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
Jen
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vega and Cap are back and I am HERE for this dynamic duo! I love the camaraderie between these two characters! This was such a fabulous, on the edge of my seat ride! I loved the mystery and the character development. The plot was well paced and gave just enough nuggets to keep me frantically turning pages. This series has become a must read for me and this installment did not disappoint! Thank you to the publisher for the advance reader in exchange for my honest review.
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, crime-fiction
3+ rounded up to 4.

We first met Alice Vega in Two Girls Down. She is a kick-ass bounty hunter with a good reputation for being one of the best at what she does.

This time it’s two Jane Does, Jane One and Jane Two. Alice is called in by DEA to San Diego/El Centro area in SoCal to consult on a case of two young Latino girls in the morgue who appear to be the victims of violent drug trafficking. The DEA, FBI and local police are all working on this case but they need her help. They’re willing to
Donna Davis
4 stars plus. Louisa Luna debuted in 2018 with the first book in this series, Two Girls Down. When I learned that Alice Vega was returning, I jumped on the galley without a moment’s hesitation. Thanks go to Doubleday and Net Galley for the review copy. This book becomes available to the public tomorrow, January 21, 2020.

Alice Vega is back home in Southern California, and she is hired as a consultant on a case for the local cops. Two dead girls have turned up, both recent immigrants with IUDs in
Mike
Private Investigator Alice Vega is brought in as a special consultant when two unidentified teen girls (Jane Does) are found dead on the outskirts of San Diego. She brings along her associate, former police officer Max Caplin, and the two quickly discover that the girls were part of a sex trafficking ring. Now the race is on to find out how many more girls are being held and save them before it's too late.

This is the second novel in a series. It serves fine as a standalone but there are some
Jessica Berry
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like I wrote in my review for first book in this series, this was a disturbingly addictive book.

Who is torturing and killing young Jane Does, and why is Alice Vega stealthily recruited to find out? Retired cop Cap and missing persons finder Vega are obsessed with this case at the onset, as is the reader. They interview possible witnesses, work out the facts, and they're blown away with each discovery.

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about Vega ever taking a cash job in this
Melanie Jo
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a little nervous to read this because I didn't realize it was part of a series but this author did a great job with the writing where you don't have to read the first one. I'm definitely going to be if it's just as good as this one. This book is why I love thrillers. So suspenseful and exciting. Great book.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Susan
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Private Investigator extraordinaire Alice Vega is a kick ass street smart sleuth worth reading about. She ‘gets things done’ along with her partner Max when she’s hired as a consultant to the San Diego Police.

In addition to the unidentified bodies of two underage girls, something doesn’t add up with those who have retained her. Her services are dismissed after she’s too good at her job and she wants to know why.

With assistance from advocates she meets along the way, she vows to get justice for
Katie Topp
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - Alice Vega is a BAD ASS.

Action packed, fast paced, awesome dynamic between Vega and Cap (just like in Two Girls Down). I want to call the Alice Vega series a Private Detective Procedural (rather than a police procedural). I am not sure that is a thing, but that is what it feels like: in depth journey into PI Vega kicking ass.

My only complaint? It felt a little long. The ending should have come about an hour sooner (in 2x audiobook time). After so much action, it felt just slightly
Cat
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One looping thought: I love Alice Vega. I want to be just like her but since I can’t I want to read more books about her. That sums up how enthralling the lead character of this book is. This is a follow-up book to “Two Girls Down”, which I haven’t read but that didn’t detract from enjoying this novel (although now I HAVE to read the first novel to get my fix).
Alice Vega is a well-disciplined machine; eating and drinking only to survive, showing minimal facial expressions, with solemn and quiet
Natalie M
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, with a powerful female protagonist and a dynamic crime fighting partnership!

Set on the San Diego/Mexican border, against the backdrop of illegal immigration, politics and policies, Vega and Caplan are trying to identify the bodies of two young girls who have been dumped.

When the answer to this question was provided in the first third of the novel I was wondering where it might go! But wow, twist after twist, after twist! Highly recommended read.
Lisa Davison
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This second book in the series about PI Alice Vega is an intriguing mystery that deals with immigration and sex trafficking. Vega is called in by the SDPD and FBI to investigate the murders of two Latina girls with no IDs. Once again, Vega calls her colleague and friend, Cap, to help with the case. As the two of them begin to unravel the tightly woven net of drug cartels and sex traffickers, they discover that it also includes "friends in high places." Just when it seems that the case is coming ...more
Lori
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louisa Luna who are you dear and why haven’t we heard more about you? “The Janes” - book two in the Alice Vega thrillers - was just OUTSTANDING! It literally kept me up most of the night (on a work night) because I couldn’t put it down. This was a rocking rollercoaster full of nonstop action and a heart pounding pace. Vega and Cap are back at it again and she is kicking ass and taking names. The best thriller I’ve read in a long, long time. Bravo!

Coming your way from @Doubledaybooks January
Rick Molitor
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast paced thriller with good characters that play well against each other. Alice does whatever she needs to do to get the result she wants. Max is older an ex-cop who is more by the books. The back and forth between them works well as the work together to get the job done.
Jen Ryland
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-arcs
I am a HUGE fan of Louisa Luna and of the Caplan/Alice Vega duo. The cases they take on are tough and usually involve violence against women. (This one involved the trafficking of underage girls.)

When Vega gets hired by the police to investigate a pair of murders she gets in touch with Caplan and asks him to fly to San Diego and join her on the case. Soon they both start to suspect that something very strange is going on.

Their relationship is so perfect - Vega is so competent and

• Behind Every Lie
  • Little Secrets
  • Please See Us
  • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart #1)
  • All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway #3)
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Long Bright River
  • The Blaze
  • The Prized Girl
  • The Other People
  • The Better Liar
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • The Look-Alike
  • The Tenant
  • One Day You'll Burn
Louisa Luna is the author of the novels Brave New Girl, Crooked, and Serious As A Heart Attack. She was born and raised in the city of San Francisco and lives in Brooklyn with her husband and daughter.

Alice Vega (2 books)
  • Two Girls Down (Alice Vega #1)