Start by marking “The Accidental Baker” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Baker

The Accidental Baker

Donnie Watson's baking disasters are legendary, but this Easter, his mismatched chocolate eggs bring accidental but astonishing results to four downhearted gay men. The chocolate sweets spill onto the pavement of a small parade of local shops—and go on a matchmaking tour like no other! From a bankrupt and betrayed baker, to a homeless but hopeful man, to a conceited bar ow ...more
Published April 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Baker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Baker

Judith
3.5

Honestly,this was just adorable.

64 pages,

5 chapters,

4 stories,

Yes,I know....unbelievable but it worked....so well.I've got no idea how the Author managed it.I've read full length books where the characters didn't connect so well.

Chapter one opens with Donnie getting more than a bit flustered making Easter treats which aren't the best and when disaster strikes the treats find their way into the paths of men who might never have met....

It's utterly charming and so funny but also packs a message
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Four couples, no sex, no HEAs, just a series of stories loosely connected by misshapen chocolate concoctions. I would have preferred just one story, fully developed. Each story is a beginning, a chance, a potential for more.

I liked each chapter but left hungry for more. Sweet but ultimately unsatisfying.
Len Evans Jr
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off I just need to say that the Accidental Baker is one short little piece of Easter perfection. Ms. London has somehow found a way to squeeze more feels into 64 pages than should be humanly possible. Each little portion of this is not only filled with feels, but sweetness, love and plenty of connection. On one short day Donnie's (the accidental baker) chocolates manage to have an accidental and uplifting impact on so very many people that he would never believe it! This book is so much mo ...more
Cadiva
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5*

This is adorable but also a little bit frustrating because it's four superb meet/cutes that I now want the rest of the love stories for!

Each little snippet perfectly encapsulates the odd way eight men are brought together in circumstances which were unlikely to have ever happened without the initial impetus between best friends Donnie and Harry.

I'd love a book with each of these couples but especially Jez and Eric and Donnie and his older man Will.

#ARC kindly received from the author in retu
~nikki the recovering book addict
Dissenting review!

Welp, looks like I’m among the minority here. I’ve enjoyed this author’s work in the past before but this was...not my cuppa tea, unfortunately. I didn’t like Henry for one. And the Donnie - bless his heart - had an awkward story, at least to me. I don’t know how I feel about Jez. At least the first one was normal-ish. Except I didn’t like that bloke either. *gulp* 🤷🏻♀
Karen
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well this was full of yummy sweetness...full review to follow soonish!

Who says 'There are no happy accidents...'

'The Accidental Baker' is the tale of how one little accident plays a role in the lives of 4...well actually 8 different men.

Starting with Donnie a sweet young man with a heart of gold who never gives a second thought to what he can do to help someone else...he just does it but when Donnie drops some of the egg shaped or mostly egg shaped eggs that he's made for the local community
namericanwordcat
This is such a wonderful collection of romantic Easter themed inter connected stories.

Rarely, do you get each story this good with such a range of characters from a New Adult Autistic hero and to a bitter baker to a Vet.

So good!
Daisy
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just died of cuteness.

🐰🐥🥚🍫
Helena Stone
This is an absolutely delightful story, utterly feel-good and then some.

The Accidental Baker comes with a wonderful hint of magical realism, all in the form of misshapen but heavenly-tasting chocolate creations.

The chocolate ‘whatever-you-want-to-call-thems’ (because they don’t come close to resembling the bunny and other shapes they were supposed to be) manage to get away from poor hapless Donnie only to end up in locations where they can be found by those who need a little helping hand (or sho
CrabbyPatty
Clare London's novella features four (4) short interconnecting stories, all centering around some Easter chocolates which "spill onto the pavement of a small parade of local shops - and go on a matchmaking like no other!"

Donnie is a sweet guy who spends his spare time helping others and is preparing some Easter chocolates for the kids of the housing estate. He meets a kind man with salt & pepper hair, the local vet, who comes to his aid when the chocolates escape from his basket. Simon is r
Joscelyn Smith
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet encounters 🍫

A cute little Easter read. Each chapter features a different couple and how Donnie's delicious chocolate brings them together. I liked all the characters except Henry, but I guess his actions led to everyone's happy meetings. All in all a very enjoyable fun read.
Sev
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet little Easter treat.
Anabela.M.
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's incredible what Clare London managed to do within just a few pages. She packed so much emotion in this short holiday read. Four love stories, eight people who meet because of Donnie's chocolate disaster.
The Accidental Baker is an adorable, funny ,must read if you need to lift your spirit.
Ami

This is sort of like, Love Actually, I mean in a way that all the chapters are actually interconnected. It starts with Donnie baking chocolate for Easter, then accident happens, and all the chocolates are scattered ... and we end up with chapters of how it brought promise of happiness to FOUR different hopeful couples.

My favorite story is Donnie's though :). The others are lovely -- though Jez's one needs MORE SCENES! -- but I can't help thinking about longer story of an occasional bak
Brooks 59
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, fun read, with Clare's usual excellent writing, lots of chocolate and flirting!
Paul
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought_it
What a sweet, engaging Easter story revolving around the magic of chocolate! This is a no drama zone and I adored Donnie. This story is a quick, warm, funny, heart-warming read. Well done Ms. London <3
Lillian Francis
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet collection of short stories all connected by the same parade of shops and some homemade wayward Easter chocolates. These were four couples all meeting and/or connecting for the first time on the same day. The stories are all short; Donnie, who started it all by making the eggs, seems to get the short straw in the story department but he ends the collection as well as starting it which rounds the whole thing off nice. Each situation and pairing is distinctive and different.

Well writt
Carra
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This cute set of stories that spring from one of the character’s mishaps is a super-quick read. If you’re looking for A to Z relationships, that’s not what this little collection is about. This is all about new beginnings and fresh starts.

The story starts off with Donnie and his best friend Henry in a scene that sparks off the rest of the stories:

Simon—whose brain-to-mouth filter doesn’t necessarily work as it should—and Trev, these two were my favorite of the bunch and the ones I thought showed
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, m-m, romance
The Accidental Baker is more like a collection of short stories that all a common theme - Easter, and Donnie's chocolate. Each chapter involves a different couple, and how they meet. ALL of the stories are sweet, some characters are lovely, some (sorry Henry) I really didn't take to.

This was well-written and excellently paced - each story giving just what it needed to work. Personally, I would love to see this progress into their own stories, just so I got more information about each couple. May
Heather
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-holidays
You may be asking yourself how can a short book have four romances that the reader can connect to and bond with? Well, however she managed it Clare London's The Accidental Baker does exactly that. This Easter short is fun, sweet, adorable, romantic, with plenty of heart, brought together by misshapen holiday chocolates.

I won't delve into each pairing but I will say that there is something special about each one that makes them not only stand apart but makes them memorable and easily connectable
Claudia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These are five short stories, and all of them are simply delightful. Sweet, full of hope, with bits of humour running along all of them and loads of cuteness.

The characters are quirky and so easy to love! Add to this the usual wonderful writing of Clare London and you'll have the perfect holiday read, and to end with a big, happy smile on your face... and a big craving for chocolate =D
Carrie
3.5/5
Sort of a Love Actually for Easter instead of Christmas, but too short to be as satisfying. Sweet little vignettes with no sex and HFN endings all around.
Lena Grey
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“There is nothing better than a boyfriend, unless it is a boyfriend with chocolate.” ~ unknown

Donnie Watson, of ‘The Accidental Baker’ by Clare London, is a good-hearted person who loves to make others happy. He loves to bake but, although his heart is in the right place, his “creations” don’t always turn out the way they are intended to. On this particular Easter, although his chocolate treats are not perfectly shaped, they have a more widespread benefit that anyone no one could have imagined,
Annie Maus
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easter is the season of sugar and renewal. Clare London spins her hope for new beginnings through The Accidental Baker’s 64 short pages, where a bunch of escaped chocolate eggs help eight awkward men meet potential mates. Romance abounds, while intimacy is limited, making it an appropriate young adult read.

The premise – that all love occurs accidentally – moves the plot quickly and seamlessly. First, we find Donnie and his friend, Henry, as Donnie bakes scones, repeatedly burning them, while mol
ButtonsMom2003
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xd-assigned-read
A bit unusual but I liked it very much!

This book is more like a collection of short stories revolving around some wayward chocolate Easter candies. First, we get Donnie, whose cooking disasters are legendary. Some chocolates he has made get spilled and he takes a header on the sidewalk. Donnie is rescued by one of his neighbors, Will, the new veterinarian in town.

The next three stories are about men who encounter the wayward chocolates and end up in engaging situations that show promise for a re
Susana
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everybody knows chocolate can cure anything, even a broken heart.…
Donnie Watson is terrible at baking, but that does not prevent him from baking any sort of goods. Yet, his last batch of mismatched, oddly-shaped Easter Eggs seem to have a mind of their own, and an uncanny ability to bring people together. Because it does not matter if the façade is a bit odd, or uncommon, what really matters is what you find inside, both with Donnie’s Easter Eggs and with the people they seem to bring together…
A
Kirstin
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clare London has found a way to create a fairytale town with quaint shop owners and neighbors and blooming romance in a manner of just a few pages.

This short novella contains 4 separate stories, all revolving around some misplaced chocolate bunnies. Each tale has it's own meet cute and sweet little love story that will melt your heart.

My favorite was Jez and Eric. Eric has a bit of social anxiety/awkwardness/issues and he runs into Jez, his bedding and cardboard box sitting in the store's entry.
R
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Four vignettes featuring Donnie, a not so great baker, who decides to try chocolate eggs and possibly bunnies. When he drops them in the street he meets Will, the new vet.

Trev offers Simon a job in the bakery that used to be his. They bond over a errant chocolate rabbit.

Homeless Jez finds a poorly wrapped chocolate egg. Which leads to his meeting Eric, eating the chocolate together brings them both some happiness.

Henry, a grumpy bar owner, runs afoul of one of Donnie’s creations and winds up wi
Zaza
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, m-m, nouvelle
Le battement d'ailes du papillon, vous connaissez ? Eh bien ici, on a la version chocolats de Pâques, dans la mesure où des friandises foirées) vont permettre à de parfaits inconnus (ou des collègues) de faire connaissance.
C'est un format très court, à savoir cinq chapitres, et quatre histoires différentes qui se déclinent, ce qui nous laisse en attente concernant le devenir de chaque couple. Ma préférence va à Donnie & Will, ainsi qu'à Simon & Trev. Je n'ai pas du tout aimé Henry, ni eu
Susan
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite aspects of Clare London’s writing is how she captures the feel of her eponymous city in everything she produces and The Accidental Baker is no exception. The idea misshapen homemade Easter chocolates can bring people together is a fun conceit and echoes a similar theme in her With A Kick series. In addition to chocolate connecting people, the couples all have a tie to the street where the baker Donnie lives. The story is a slice of life not only of four men and their mates but ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Clare took the pen name London from the city where she lives, loves, and writes. A lone, brave female in a frenetic, testosterone-fuelled family home, she juggles her writing with her other day job as an accountant. She’s written in many genres and across many settings, with award-winning novels and short stories published both online and in print. She says she likes variety in her writing while f ...more