Start by marking “Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success” as Want to Read:

In the old days, when we made physical products, setting project goals wasn’t that hard. But in today’s service- and software-driven world, “done” is less obvious. When is Amazon done? When is Google done? Or Facebook? In reality, services powered by digital systems are never done. So then how do we give teams a goal that they can work on?Mostly, we simply ask teams to bui ...more
Published April 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Outcomes Over Output, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outcomes Over Output

Start your review of Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
Iman Shabani
Outstanding book, so much so that before I was even finished with the book, I recommended it to a few of my friends and colleagues.

There's a good chance that this short book will cause a paradigm shift for you, it certainly did for me. This book may be small, but its impact is huge, give it a good read.
azarakhsh
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
WOW! Changed my life for sure
A must read for anyone who feels under-achieved (probably in any contexts).
Outcomes-based Thinking? That's my new belief.
Niklas Heer
Dec 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is short and to the point. I like the author's distinction between outputs, outcomes, and impacts. It makes sense to focus on behavior change outcomes rather than just output like feature x and feature y. The impact is the business impact the outcomes have. (e.g., more sales)
It’s such a simple model but very powerful.
I can recommend this book to everyone interested in leadership or product management.
Suyeon
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Engaging and highly relevant

Even the slowest and laziest of readers in the Product space would find this book not only engaging but highly relevant to their field of work. It is a must read for all people who are either already in product development management or aspire to be part of the ecosystem.
Kamil Rudnicki
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I changed a way I think about setting goals from output to outcomes. And change organization accordingly. And it is important change of thinking. Thank you.
Raphael Donaire
Mar 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
While reading the book, I wondered why it is so hard to design outcomes? My background as a software developer has led me to a position of building things (outputs) prioritized in a list of features. More recently, as a business person, I've pursued an increase in revenue, optimization of retention rate, cost reduction, reduction in attrition, and all different flavors of impact.
The book showed me that there is a link between impact and outputs.
Next, I quote the main insights generated by readin
Utsav
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"Read the book after an year or so. Good refresher for me to think about how to think while thinking outcomes while creating product roadmaps. In summary : Outcomes matters not outputs. One should know the important sequence of steps in any planning : resources -> activties -> outputs -> outcomes -> impact" ...more
Niharika Sishtla
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me an entirely new perspective on how to drive product development basis customer behaviour. Also shared ideas on how we can use customer journeys to leverage the boosters and eliminate the blockers and then create an outcome based roadmap. This book is a must read for those interested in product management.
Soroush
Aug 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend for both engineers and product manager and program managers. It is a good book for everyone in the team to read. Short, crisp and to the point.

This book does a good job clarifying how you should differentiate between impact, outcome and output and how to setup to team towards outcome-based planning.
B. Jay
Nov 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clever and concise lesson on RE-framing the work you do and why you do it.
DerMaddin
Mar 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
To the point, and with examples how to implement following outcomes over output.
Julian Moreno
Jul 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Extremely practical pocketbook that extends key concepts of lean and agile methodology to have an efficient strategic vision truly focused on the behavior of the end customer.

Whether you are a designer or not, it is fully recommended for you to get out of the bad business oriented and focused on deliverables!
Ruta Remutyte
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't find this book 'lifechanging', 'outstanding' or 'wow' like some said. However, it provides a good framework to think. The idea is that features (outputs) create a change in behavior (outcomes). Change in behavior drives business results (impact). Thus, once the high-level impact is defined, one should first focus on what change in customer behavior needs to be created in order to achieve a high-level impact.

I must say I was very disappointed by chapters 4 and 5. Bad characters and dialo
Matthew Kern
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This little book packs a punch. If you are a product owner/manager this is a deep dive into one of the important facets of how you orient your work around a northstar. The title gives it away, don't focus on building a thing, but instead find the outcome that works for your business and build and act accordingly.

Seiden's definition of outcome brings clarity to the discussion - "an outcome is a change in human behavior that drives business results." It is not good enough that we build something.
Daniil Lanovyi
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The core idea of the book is cool. For the implementation details, you'll need to reach for other sources. ...more
Ronald J.
May 01, 2022 rated it liked it
I philosophically agree with this book because of the work I’ve done on Key Predictive Indicators, and what should be measured. The author describes an outcome as: “a change in human behavior that drives business results.” It’s not about features, it’s about benefits. The hole, not the drill or drill bit. With cars you know when they’re done, they roll off the assembly line. But when is Google, or Facebook, done? So the book discusses Agile.

The author tells the story of the NGO digging wells in
Grzegorz Kućma
Jan 09, 2022 rated it really liked it
It’s a well-written, short book that, in a graspable way, describes the significant difference between outcomes and outputs. In short, according to the author “outcome is a change in human behaviour that drives business results”.

Furthermore, it explains why an understanding of the discrepancy between an “impact” - a high-level company goal - and the outcome is also crucial and why both should exist simultaneously.

If you are a product person or a stakeholder of the product team, in this book you
Maggie
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Josh Seidan does an admirable job of borrowing a framework from the values-driven nonprofit world to the value-driven forprofit world: focussing your design strategy on impactful behaviours (outcomes), not specific features or programs (outputs).

The end result seems so common-sense, but Seidan does a good job of breaking down how to actually actually, as well as how/why it might be difficult for some for profit organizations to think in this way.

As a designer invested in values-driven work, this
Mittul Desai
Jan 02, 2022 rated it really liked it
I love books that are to the point. Books that give one example per idea and move on. This book does just that.

The idea of outcomes over output isn't new for any organization that uses OKRs to measure success and progress. But most organizations have an incomplete understanding of how to use outcomes effectively for planning. This book helps identify the missing pieces quickly and can help organizations and teams course-correct and adopt outcome-based thinking more effectively.

A must-read beca
Anthony Fawkes
Mar 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little practical primer on how to talk about and put into practice outcome driven delivery, it's based in systems thinking and follows the principles of small experiments and feedback loops. If you are looking to implement change towards modern ways of working then it's definitely worth a read, even if you already understand the concepts it presents. Changing human behaviour is hard so I'm always looking for new ways to frame concepts to help people better understand them and com ...more
Andrew
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All content, no fluff, good stuff.

I absolutely love that the book focuses on delivering meaningful information without all the fluff and page fillers I see in other books. So many books come jam-packed with frivolous stories, words, and pages, it can be hard to extract the meaningful bits. Not this one! Big thanks to the author for getting to the point and delivering value early and continuously.
Monica
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is straight to the point and gives a few examples that help framing the proposed solution. Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 are the most juicy thanks to the use case presented.

Changing the behavior of an organization is not as simple as it is presented, so don’t expect to have immediate results. It does help that the book shows how to use a cross-reference approach by addressing both user value and business value.

Jordan Jackson
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short and solid book. Basically reframes the idea of building product and product features solely based on customer feedback. Provides a framework to think about the impact that product changes (outputs) will have on business results/ organization results (impact). The lever by which you can change impact is through assessing outcome (change in customer behaviour.).

This book is particularly useful if you are familiar with donella meadows thinking in systems book.
George Murage
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

In this tiny book are powerful insights of how to change how organizations work to produce real results. Thinking in outcomes instead of inputs is hard but the author does a commendable job providing practical tips on how to achieve this. I would recommend this book to anyone who feels overwhelmed by the demands of many projects, endless product features and other initiatives that do little to change business results
Shirin
Jul 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
A company's success story is a relentless journey that periodically evaluates the user experience and customer experience, monitoring satisfaction levels in order to drive and realize its business results.

A short, yet concise study that explains how outcomes which result from a change in human behavior can have a quantum impact on outputs and results, whilst developing a user-centric and customer-centric way of working in the process.
Christoph
Dec 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for an introduction to the whole 'Outcomes' topic, this is THE book to read. It illustrates the concept nice and shortly. Gives tangible real world examples and addresses the different management levels nicely. And all this is done in a well written short book.

I read a lot on this topic, but this is the first piece which is more evolved than the usual blog post, but doesn't seem bloated like other books in this area.
Low
Jan 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Makes me gag how many times I hear companies it people who expouse to be Agile believers or have been using Agile for a number of years successfully, yet in the same breath lament about the features they are still waiting without even mentioning about the hypothesis they are out to prove or have proven. Make this short, concise yet impactful book a must read and you will learn a thing or two no matter how seasoned you think you are.
Adrian Howard
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super short, sharp book that explains why working with outcomes is so important at all levels of an organisation. Josh has collected some great examples and references around using outcomes to better plan, build roadmaps, track progress, and drive organisational change. Wish I had a bunch of copies to give to people a few months back when I was explaining this stuff to a client's management team. ...more
Martino Liu
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outcome driven organizations definitely follow UX and Data-Driven approaches. Design Thinking is, Agile and Lean methodologies are permeating gratefully the organizational landscape and changing for the good the way leaders can promote partners and collaborators behavior change to accomplish greater results. This is a very actionable book. You can almost immediately put it into practice.
Anjul
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book provides a good primer to move from output based thinking to outcomes.
The topic is vast and as the Josh himself shares it takes courage to implement this approach.
It’s great that this quick under an hour read provides so much value and gets you to think how to focus towards outcomes and steer your organisation in that direction.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Continuous Discovery Habits: Discover Products that Create Customer Value and Business Value
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Empowered: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Products
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Lean vs Agile vs Design Thinking: What you really need to know to build high-performing digital product teams
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
  • Product-Led Growth: How to Build a Product That Sells Itself
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Product Book: How to Become a Great Product Manager
  • Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon
  • OKRs At The Center: How to use goals to drive ongoing change and create the organization you want
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

It’s hard to believe the year 2022 is already coming to an end. That went fast, didn’t it? Still, there’s just enough time to wedge in a...
“In most situations, initiatives are not planned in terms of outcomes. Instead, they’re much more likely to be planned and tracked in terms of features built, or in terms of how they’re tracking to some promised delivery date or other milestone. For leaders in this situation, there’s a simple question that they can use to start the conversation about outcomes: “ what (user/customer/employee) behaviors has this initiative created that are driving business results?” That question is the key to tracking progress because it moves the conversation away from features and reorients it towards value delivery.” 0 likes
“mistaking “making stuff” for making progress, and mistaking shipping features for being done.” 0 likes