Start by marking “The Other Bennet Sister” as Want to Read:
The Other Bennet Sister

The Other Bennet Sister

Mary, the bookish ugly duckling of Pride and Prejudice’s five Bennet sisters, emerges from the shadows and transforms into a desired woman with choices of her own.

What if Mary Bennet’s life took a different path from that laid out for her in Pride and Prejudice? What if the frustrated intellectual of the Bennet family, the marginalized middle daughter, the plain girl who
Expected publication: March 31st 2020 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Other Bennet Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Bennet Sister

Start your review of The Other Bennet Sister
Roman Clodia
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The publishers, Pan Macmillan/Mantle have requested that reviews are held until just before publication so I shall merely say now that this is a book which takes a critical look at Pride & Prejudice before launching into a gentle and satisfying romance for Mary Bennet.
Eric
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pitch-perfect, this is the best continuation of a Jane Austen novel I have read. The author has captured the tone and spirit of the original, and given new life to one of its most sidelined characters, Mary Bennet. Not only that, but she has also enhanced my understanding of one of the least likeable, Mr. William Collins.

I am glad that I read this book, having initially been wary because of bad experiences with other “Jane-lite” novels, which either repeated her plots in plodding prose, or
Jenny
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, jaff
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. It is due for release in January 2020.

When the book starts, the style of narration is so interesting. You can almost hear the author making observations about all the goings on in the Bennet household at the time of the Netherfield ball. It invites a really thoughtful examination of all the Bennets and their relationships to each other - particularly to Mary. What becomes very evident early on is that Mary has no
Louise
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Other Bennet Sister is a very interesting look at one of the more overlooked characters in Pride and Prejudice — the middle child, Mary Bennet.

What I really liked about The Other Bennet Sister was that Hadlow spends a lot of time really taking a good look at some of the minor characters and interactions. Mr Collins, Caroline Lucas, Miss Bingley and the ball at Netherfield are all examined and shown through another light or another point of view. She manages to create a much more
Pan Macmillan Australia
According to Wikipedia, which has reams and reams of material on Pride and Prejudice, you’ll find nearly 200 years’ worth of reprints, unofficial sequels, spin-offs, plays, TV series and movies, including the Pride and Prejudice-inspired Bridget Jones’s Diary, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and P.D. James’s detective novel Death Comes to Pemberley. There are dozens and dozens of adaptations and continuations.

This is not just another Pride and Prejudice spin-off – this is excellent quality,
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice but must confess I have never given much thought to Mary and her experiences so when I saw this book available I jumped at the opportunity to experience one of my favourite stories from a new perspective.

The beginning of The Other Bennett sister is set in the same timeline as the events of Pride and Prejudice and offers Mary’s perspective of those events. I enjoyed learning more about how Mary’s character had developed through the effect of her mothers
Roberta
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is extremely long - it took me 10 hours to read, compared to the 3 or 4 a normal length novel takes me. Parts one and two are largely composed of the melancholy reflections of Mary, (both before and after the marriages of Lydia, Jane and Elizabeth) who seems utterly miserable.

It was interesting to see the Bennet family from a different perspective, and I did enjoy seeing Mary growing up and working out how she wanted to live.

There are many typos and other errors, for example part two
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janice Hadlow’s first novel is an entertaining read, written in the tone of and with the underlying philosophical interests of its very much older sister, ‘Pride and Prejudice’. Poor Mary Bennet who, both in the novel and in its contemporary screen adaptations, is given very little attention, is centre stage in ‘The Other Bennet Sister’.
In many ways Hadlow develops Mary’s character very effectively. The reader can imagine why she suffers from such low self-esteem: very poor parenting, the odd
Rona Nimmo
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The other Bennett sister by Janice Hadlow
This the story of Mary Bennett from the Bennett Family of Pride & prejudice fame. As the very plain quiet scholastic middle daughter of 5 daughter the other 4 very beautiful. She is very much teased ridiculed and unloved in a very narcissistic household. She is also very clever and misunderstood. As the other daughters find suitors of good fortune. The family circumstances change when Mr Bennett dies and Mary must leave Longford the family home. As we
Lindsey
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Mary Bennet of Pride and Prejudice is plain and actually somewhat sympathetic since her parents are less than stellar and she's the often overlooked sister. This book gives her depth that P&P does not, and right off the bat, I sympathized with this version of Mary. This is almost a coming of age story, Mary is trying to find a long term plan for herself, with her own interests. Along the way, she develops relationships of different varieties and grows as the story progresses.

One of the
Louise
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Marianne
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully and sensitively written, I did enjoy this view of the Bennet family from Mary’s perspective. Initially it was a pleasure to slip back into Longbourn, and I frequently forgot I was not reading Jane Austin. However, I did feel part one was overlong and I got impatient for the story to advance. Thankfully the story got more interesting as Mary gathered confidence and learned to accept love from the warmth of the Gardiner family, it was to be a life changing experience for her.
Fans of
Sharyn
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2020
Firstly I want to thank NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review an unproofed e_ARC.

I thought this was an excellent Pride and Prejudice continuation, one of the best I have read. The development of Mary's character really worked for me and it felt like an almost seamless progression from Austen's classic. I enjoyed the new characters and the new locations. I am hoping the much needed editing and proofreading doesn't alter the final offering too much. It would make a
Kathrin Peters
Nov 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
What is the point of this book? A pastiche following on from Pride and Prejudice, without Jane Austen's wit. It is full of predictable and one-dimensional characters, either very worthy or very objectionable. I plodded through to the end because of a book group meeting but I would not recommend it. It seems written to become a costume film. Watch this space.
Kitty Pollock
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really loved this book. Underdog stories are always the best. I'll be releasing a proper review on my website on the publication date.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an E-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Zubeth
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, gentle read full of both familiar and new characters. The tone and style of the book was spot on. The story was undemanding yet also held my interest. It was a pleasant change from the usual gory crime stuff I read.
Maya Panika
Nov 28, 2019
Michelle
Oct 27, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: add cover 5 17 Aug 09, 2019 03:40AM

• The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • Miss Austen: A Novel
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Bone China
  • The Confession
  • Khi Tách Cà Phê Còn Chưa Nguội
  • American Dirt
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • In Bed with the Earl (Lost Lords of London, #1)
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Tenth Muse
  • The Companion
  • A Bit Of A Stretch
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • The Body in the Garden (Lily Adler Mystery #1)
  • Mix Tape
  • A Good Man
Janice Hadlow has worked at the BBC for 28 years, including more than 10 years as a top executive. She was educated at comprehensive school in Swanley, in north Kent, and graduated with a BA in history from King’s College London. She currently lives in Bath. A Royal Experiment is her first book.