Start by marking “The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)

The Wild One

(Peter Ash #5)

War veteran Peter Ash tracks a murderer and his criminal family through the most forbidding and stark landscape he has ever encountered, in the latest thriller from the national bestselling author of The Drifter.

Losing ground in his fight against post-traumatic claustrophobia, war veteran Peter Ash has no intention of getting on an airplane--until a grieving woman asks
Published January 14th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Wild One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild One

Start your review of The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)
Yigal Zur
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
it is a nice thriller but not great. it is enjoyable but have it flaws. i admit it took me around 60 pages to start to enjoy. l have read any of Patrie thrillers before. so to take for granted that the reader knows the history and the burden Ash is carry in his wounded soul takes time. the title is exactly what you meet first - a wild one. slowly we find out why he is so brutal and aggressive to humanity or to the worst part of it. Patrie have a great sense of landscape and his description of ...more
Kay
"the simple prospect of dying made him feel more alive"

No doubt about it, Peter Ash has issues. A gripping thriller from the very first chapter.

I am adding The Wild One to my top list of thrillers I read in 2019 that got me this excited so much so I didn't want the book to end. Those on my list are Out of the Dark OrphanX #4 by Gregg Hurwitz, The Terminal List James Reece #1 by Jack Carr and Backlash Scot Harvath #19 by Brad Thor.

The Wild One can be read as a standalone. Peter, a recon Marine
Don
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nick Petrie is a gifted wordsmith with a nack for storytelling. In The Wild One, the fifth book in the Peter Ash series, Nick puts both of these talents to good use. Nick packs the book full of action while still gifting the readers with lush descriptions in a manner that's remicient of Daniel Silva. If you're already of fan of Peter Ash, you'll love The Wild One. If your new to the series, pull up a chair and crack open this book. You won't be disappointed.
Amanda G. Stevens
Another striking and lovely cover for this series, and the blurb sounds riveting, and I'm thrilled that Petrie is one author who's keeping his protagonist's journey as a human being in mind as he crafts these nonstop adventures to threaten Peter's life (again). Cannot wait for this book. Stalking Amazon Vine hoping I will get the privilege of an ARC.
Suzanne
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE WILD ONE welcomes back Peter Ash, our troubled protagonist, with PTSD so severe that he is only ever somewhat relaxed when his life is threatened or he is in the middle of a blizzard. Luckily in this tale, Ash is able to suffer both blizzards and life threatening conditions multiple times and still pursue his mission. Author Nick Petrie has created a character that is engaging and compelling in multiple settings; readers can almost watch him slowly improve bit by bit, even as he doubts that ...more
Darcy
It really felt like Peter was isolated int his one. Part of it was due to June and Louis not being in on the action and the other part was that Peter was in a foreign country, one where he doesn't know the language. Everything was so hard for him, nothing went as planned, but Peter being Peter figured things out quickly. By the end of the book I was sad for what happened, sad for those left behind, but so glad that Peter helped a precious person be safe.
Robbrandow
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good but to much time spent on Peter's PTSD problems in the first 50 pages we get it he's messed up.
Donna Hines
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
In all fairness I've only read one other book in this series besides this one so be gentle with this review.
I have to be fair, reserved the others at my local library and plan to enjoy reading those few I missed as I think it's important if you write reviews on series that you read all in the series.
So with this said, this review score may go up depending on those prior works that may shed new light here in understanding Peter Ash and his relationships with his characters and his settings.
For
Kristine
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Another great Peter Ash story, though I think we see Peter as close or closer to the edge than we've seen him in a while. Maybe since the first book when he was just a total mess. But, I think it really worked in this story because where in the world can you just lose it if not for Iceland?

Anyway, I think I liked this book because to me, Peter is an established character with a back story, a family and we have walked through quite a bit together. I honestly don't think that would be the
Shannon Robinson
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of both the author and the character, and each new book in the series has become my favorite.
The writing continues to get better, the stories are always engaging, and the flow of the plots are intriguing.
Each book could function as a standalone, but you'd be better served to start at the beginning and rollercoaster your way all the way to the end of the current book, The Wild One.
I'm not going to explain the plot, you can read the blurbs and excerpts for yourself - but if
Vera Wilson
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won a copy of this. Took me several pages to really get into the book, but then Peter Ash is on his way to Iceland to try to find a man as his soon that he has taken out of the country.
The Grandmother had hired Peter to find them. She says the man shot wife and took son?? Not normal Peter's job, but even with trying to be forced to come home before he even leaves airport, knows something he has to do.
Author has us hooked on the story and takes lots of riaka, but Peter don't give up Action packed
Bill
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nick Petrie tops himself again with THE WILD ONE. Peter Ash ventures to Iceland in search of a missing boy just as he seems to be losing his constant fight with his white static. On the run in a strange land, stripped of his normal resources, and with an historic arctic storm bearing down on him, Peter Ash is tested in a way we haven't read before and it's thrilling. I don't know how Nick Petrie does it, but every new Peter Ash adventure replaces the previous one as my favorite. I loved, loved, ...more
Pam Bales
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoy this series

Great story, intriguing plot, awesome setting equals a thoroughly fascinating read. I'm not find of "time-shifting", which to me is moving back and forth from present to past. It's okay, but frequently annoys me. It's a good technique, but it makes me tired. Doesn't hurt your the book, or the story, but it's not my usual cup of tea. It won't stop me from pre-ordering the next book in the series. Read them from the beginning so the backstory is clear.
Shana
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to #netgalley for the advanced read. I’ve really enjoyed this series, having just discovered it this year. When i found out this particular novel was set in iceland, and having just been in march, I couldn’t wait to see what the author had in store. Absolutely took me back to my trip, and the story was as gripping as the others. Petrie writes a good book.
Maddie Taylor
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an absolute blast. Peter Ash again finds trouble, but this time he is all on his own. Everyone around him is trying to stop him from finding what he went to do. He will stop at nothing even if it means almost dying in the massive snow storm coming in, vicious killers, and cops chasing him. It keeps you on your toes, with a new twist always right there. Peter Ash at his best!
Judy
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Thanks to G. P. Putnam's Sons for sending me this goodreads give away. Not having read any Of Nick Petrie's books before I found THE WILD ONE easy to get into and to know Peter Ash at once. This can be a stand alone. Ash is a sympathetic flawed good guy with many levels of good and bad. Lots of action and scenery. Looking forward to reading more of this series.
Ted
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Ash has a way finding trouble.
Shawna
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling and enjoyable read with Peter Ash
Brandon
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Tj
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another solid Peter Ash adventure. Liked the fish out of water aspect of being stuck in Iceland, but the overall mystery/conspiracy could have been built up more. Still lots of fun though.
Bahramo
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Fourth in the series and each one gets better. While The Wild One started somewhat slow for me, once it kicked in I could not put it down. Great read. Enjoy!
Jim Higgins
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The darkest of the Peter Ash thrillers so far. With an unforgettable fight scene using a book as a weapon.
Mike
Jan 16, 2020
DanO
Nov 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • The Promise
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
  • Your House Will Pay
  • The World That We Knew
  • A Single Thread
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell, #11)
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • To Love a Man
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • The Magician's Assistant
  • Inland
  • Real Men Will (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #3)
  • The Lying Room
  • Takes One to Know One
Nick Petrie received his MFA in fiction from the University of Washington, won a Hopwood Award for short fiction while an undergraduate at the University of Michigan, and his story “At the Laundromat” won the 2006 Short Story Contest in The Seattle Review, a national literary journal. A husband and father, he has worked as a carpenter, remodeling contractor, and building inspector. He lives in ...more

Peter Ash (5 books)
  • The Drifter (Peter Ash, #1)
  • Burning Bright (Peter Ash, #2)
  • Light It Up (Peter Ash, #3)
  • Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)