Start by marking “The Lost Brothers: A Family's Decades-Long Search” as Want to Read:
The Lost Brothers: A Family's Decades-Long Search

The Lost Brothers: A Family's Decades-Long Search

The dread, the drama, and the hope of a break in one of the countrys oldest active missing-child investigations

On a cold November afternoon in 1951, three young boys went out to play in Farview Park in north Minneapolis. The Klein brothersKenneth Jr., 8; David, 6; and Danny, 4never came home. When two caps turned up on the ice of the Mississippi River, investigators
Published October 22nd 2019 by Univ Of Minnesota Press

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Brothers

Start your review of The Lost Brothers: A Family's Decades-Long Search
Ruthy lavin
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Rachel
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a heartbreaking true story about the Klein brothers that disappeared on November 10, 1951 in Minnesota. Kenneth Jr., 8; David, 6; and Danny, 4 left their house that afternoon to walk to a nearby park and never came home. Their older brother, Gordon, 9, agreed to meet up with them shortly, but when he showed up at the park they were nowhere to be found. He was the first to raise the alarm knowing his brothers wouldnt have wandered beyond the park.

Investigators did a search of the area and
W. Whalin
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What Happens to a Family When A Child Disappears?

Journalist Jack El-Hai wrote a magazine article about three brothers in Minnesota who disappeared one day and have never been found again. The article turned into a more in-depth book, THE LOST BROTHERS. The story of these three Klein brothersKenneth, Jr. David, and Danny turn into a real life drama and a fascinating read. Until reading THE LOST BROTHERS, I had never thought about what happens inside a family and to the parents when their child
Linden
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking true story of three young brothers who went missing in Minneapolis in 1951 and the terrible effect on their family.
Lin Salisbury
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
In 1951, three brothers left their family home one afternoon to go to Farview Park in North Minneapolis and disappeared: Kenneth was eight, David was six, and Danny was four. Their older brother, Gordon had stayed behind that afternoon to fix a broken knife sheath and intended to meet up with them later. When he went to the park, the boys were gone. Their parents, Betty and Kenneth Klein, never gave up hope that someday they would find out what had happened to their children.

In 1998, author Jack
Proforma
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The heartache is that even if the answers are found, it's too late.

When three small boys harassed their mother on a Saturday morning to go and play in a park four blocks from home, their harried mother probably caved in to them with a sense of relief that she might be able to relax for an hour or two.

She never relaxed again for the rest of her life and with that single response she carried a lifetime of guilt. She died without ever finding out what happened to her babies.

Their father carried his
Kinsey
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A tragic story about the disappearances of three young brothers in 1951 and their family's decades-long search for answers, The Lost Brothers is a heartbreaking introspection into the psychological damage that can be done to a family when there is no resolution to be found. Jack El-Hai did an amazing job of painting a sympathetic portrait of the Klein family - especially as the parents and police officers actions are almost incomprehensible to our modern (and some would argue much more unsafe) ...more
teleri llinos
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of reading, or even researching, crimes that are still unsolved. I find the unknown about them so frustrating, like an itch I can't stop scratching. I want to know all the answers to a case, and I was a little worried when requesting this, that it would irk me and I'd regret requesting it. I was wrong.

This book is written in such a compassionate and understanding manner, it felt like I was being told a story by an elder and I couldn't help but sit down and soak in all the
Mandy
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once upon a time there were four brothers. One ordinary day in 1951 three of them went on an ordinary trip to the park. By that evening there was just one brother left and his three siblings were never seen again. No traces, no clues, no leads, nothing. Just three lost boys. The disappearance remains a mystery to this day. This re-examination of the case by journalist Jack El-Hai makes for some riveting reading. He doesnt give any answers but his account is well-researched and thorough and I ...more
Christina
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: real-life
I received a free copy of this book for my honest review.
3 little brothers left their home to go to the park a few streets away and were never seen again. Their parents had to live their lives not knowing whatever happened to their little boys.
This is such a sad story. Me being a parent could not imagine what these parents went through not knowing what happened to their children.
This story was written in a nice flowy way and did not drag on. If you are interested in true crime or nonfiction, I
Cindy
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and University of Minnesota Press for the eARC
I love resolution in stories, but in real life, we don't always get answers. This is the story of the disappearance of three young boys in 1951, and their family's lifelong search for them. We get to feel the family's struggle and pain as the search goes on, and this book hopes for resolution still, almost 60 years after the event. This was short and got the message across, a quick read.
Cheryl
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was very interesting and makes me want to learn about about the case. I do wish it had more detail, but I can't fault the author for the lack of detail as it was explained that the case itself was lacking. I can't imagine the pain the parents had felt over so many years of not know what happened to their 3 boys. Books like this make me wish I could give half stars has I would have rated this one a 3.5
Kayo
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating true story of three missing brothers. Heartbreaking but tells the facts that span years and years. The family never have up even til their deaths. Definite must read.

Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Blaire Foote
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very intriguing and had one glued to the pages until it was finished. I read it in an hour and half. The story was very interesting to learn about. At the end, I was hoping there was a conclusion, but was sad to find there was not. I hope that some day there is closure in the case. It was a very exciting, thrilling read about lost brothers in a cold case.
Beau
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an intriguing, intriguing, heartbreaking story. My father had moved to Minneapolis in the fall of '51 to attend college; just prior to the events of this book. I wish he were still with us. I would be so curious to know of his own recollections of this story.

A quick-read, thought-provoking, true-crime mystery!
Lolo Onda
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Peggy Gregor
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Brothers

This was a good short read. Its interesting how investigations by police are handled so differently now. I feel sorry for the parents that died without knowing what really happened to their sons.
Becky
Dec 05, 2019 added it
No rating. Unbelievably heart wrenching story. I wish my Grandpa Harry was still alive, I would love to hear what he remembered about this case. Such a tragedy.
I liked the writing style. Factual but not dry, and not lacking in compassion for the familys anguish.
Took me about an hour to read.
Annie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was ok, but I was expecting a lot more detail. Its a plea to open a closed case and solve it. I hope someone will agree to help and raise that basement floor. This happened so long ago that there arent many people around who remember. I do hope they find out what happened to the boys. ...more
Trudy Ackerblade
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sad sweet little book. The sadness of an unbearable loss. The sweetness of unflagging love and hope.
Denise
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, so sad. I cant imagine the frustration and despair the Klein family has endured. ...more
Wade
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Short and a bit cryptic. A missed opportunity to delve into this case.
Daisy Dooley
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Brothers is a fascinating re-examination of the disappearance of the Klein brothers from Minnesota - Kenneth Jr, 8; David, 6; and Danny, 4. On a Saturday afternoon in 1951, the three brothers set off for the park. They were never seen again. After a five day search, the investigating officers concluded that the brothers must have drowned and the search came to an end. But their bodies were never found, and their parents Betty and Kenneth always believed this conclusion to be false and ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A little book that made me think about all the true crime tv shows that I love to watch and wouldn't mind an episode or two to continue this story. This story is completely true and because of that it makes it almost that much sadder.

In a town in Minnesota on a November day in 1951, three boys go out to play like they typically did on any other day. Their older brother decided to stay back on this fateful day and it would set their lives on a
Natalie Martell
Jan 27, 2020
Amy
Jan 12, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• When Old Midnight Comes Along (Amos Walker, #28)
  • Gravity Is the Thing
  • Evidence of V: A Novel in Fragments, Facts, and Fictions
  • Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • A Wedding in December
  • How to Play Dead
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Christmas from the Heart
Jack El-Hai is a widely-published journalist who covers history, medicine, and science, and the author of the acclaimed book The Lobotomist. He is the winner of the June Roth Memorial Award for Medical Journalism, as well as fellowships and grants from the McKnight Foundation, the Jerome Foundation, and the Center for Arts Criticism. He lives in Minneapolis.