Start by marking “Any Place But Here” as Want to Read:
Any Place But Here

Any Place But Here

Seventeen-year-old June can't think of anything worse than being separated from her best friend, Jess. But at the end of her first semester of junior year she's expelled for drinking at a school dance. It's bad enough being expelled, but her parents decide to send her away to live with her grandmother in Virginia and attend the all-girls boarding school where her grandmoth ...more
Expected publication: May 1st 2021 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Any Place But Here, please sign up.
Beary Into Books
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Any Place But Here
jessica
Mar 10, 2021 rated it liked it
there is a saying that goes along the lines of 'you are an average of the people you surround yourself with' and this story showcases that really well.

i think many young readers will find the value in the messages this story portrays - the importance of friends, what true friendship means, personal growth, and identity. while i may be a bit too old to personally relate, i can understand the importance of junes story for those in a similar situation - young adults who are learning how the people
Ben
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The characters and the setting felt very real to me, and pulled me into the story the way a good book should.

(Disclaimer: this book is dedicated to me)
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. (Disclosure: the author is a friend.)
Janice
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any Place But Here takes the reader on a journey of self discovery and reflection. Sarah Van Name’s new book isn’t just for young adults. Van Name challenges readers of all ages to reflect on their own teenage angst, family dynamics, and community relationships that impact who we are today. The word pictures Van Name creates are delightful and bring the characters and the message of the story to life.
Dr. Don
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful young adult book about friendship and self-discovery. The prose is delightful and engaging. The character development is captivating. It was hard to put down because I wanted to find out what happened next to each of the characters. Ms. Van Name did a great job with The Goodbye Summer and has grown in her skills as an author with Any Place But Here. I am looking forward to her next endeavor.
Katja (Life and Other Disasters)
*I was provided with an eARC by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!*

CW: underage drinking

Any Place But Here is my first encounter with Sarah Van Name’s writing and I immediately felt drawn into the world of her characters. You meet June and Jess at an evening that feels like it could be any night of the week for them, beyond tipsy and definitely drunk, just that it’s at a school venue and things are spiraling fast after they get discovered with booze in the bathroom.

Aft
Lacy
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
“I don’t think I’m gay,” I said to Kitty, and this time, I was surprised at how quiet and scared I sounded. I had never talked to anyone about this before, ever. “I’ve had crushes on guys before. I had a boyfriend one summer. I didn’t like him all that much, but still.”
Kitty rustled the bedcovers again and turned to face me. “Bisexual people exist,” she said. “Claire is bisexual. I am not, but I thought for a while I might be. In fact, I assume that everyone is bisexual until proven otherwis
Beary Into Books
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4

I really enjoyed this story. "Any Place But Here" started out strong and I knew right away I would like June's character. She was unsure of herself when she wasn't with her best friend Jess. That's because Jess is the leader and the decision maker while June pretty much goes along with anything. June just loves spending time with Jess so when she is forced to move life as she knows it is over. Until June starts living life in a new way, her way and she finds she isn't as miserable as she
Brooke
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Thank you to #netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review

17 year old June and her best friend Jess are inseparable. When they get caught drinking at a dance, June is sent to live with her grandmother in Virginia for a semester. June is outraged, as this means she won’t be able to see Jess for a long time. She can’t wait to go back home, but the more time she spends at her new school, the more she begins to discover about herself.
I’ve vowed to read more teen & young adult fiction this
bridget
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: six-stars
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the copy of this book!

Wow. I really am having trouble finding the words to express how much I loved this book. The narrator’s voice was so strong, and the pacing was incredible — it allowed for slow and subtle growth that was realistic and believable. That’s something I find incredibly special in a book because it allows me to get so utterly lost in it — I sometimes forgot it was fiction.

My heart ached for June at the start, in the middle, and still
Darryn
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Edelweiss for a digital copy of this book.

There is something so relaxing and real about the books Sarah Van Name writes. Don't expect a lot of drama from this book. It is more of a slow unwinding of what it means to discover yourself.
Caroline David
This just didn't do it for me. I felt like it was just too much of a slow burn. I think the plot itself has so much potential and maybe it was the writing that just didn't work for me but I can see that this book will do well. ...more
Andrea
Feb 28, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LGBTQ+ and teen readers
Recommended to Andrea by: The Nerd Daily
Reminded me a lot of "You Don't Live Here" by Robyn Schneider. You can read my full review here: https://butterflybookblog1.weebly.com... ...more
Marochka
Mar 16, 2021
Chloe
Feb 28, 2021
Charles
rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2021
Dec 23, 2020
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Dec 25, 2020

• The Mary Shelley Club
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Are You Watching?
  • Tell Me When You Feel Something
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious #4)
  • The Girls Are All So Nice Here
  • What Beauty There Is
  • The Summer of Broken Rules
  • The Four Winds
  • The Project
  • Pretty Little Wife
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • The Ivies
  • The Initial Insult (The Initial Insult, #1)
  • Clique Bait
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
Sarah Van Name grew up in North Carolina and attended Duke University twice, once for a teenage creative writing camp and once as an undergraduate. She lives and works in Durham with her husband, Ben, and her dog, Toast.