Start by marking “Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)

Wicked As You Wish

(A Hundred Names for Magic #1)

Tala Warnock has little use for magic – as a descendant of Maria Makiling, the legendary Filipina heroine, she negates spells, often by accident. But her family’s old ties to the country of Avalon (frozen, bespelled, and unreachable for almost 12 years) soon finds them guarding its last prince from those who would use his kingdom’s magic for insidious ends.

And with the
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Wicked As You Wish, please sign up.
Rin Chupeco A tentative date is 2020. Some very new and happy announcements this month, hopefully!
Rin Chupeco Eep. I actually didn't know that this planned book had already found its way to Goodreads until you asked this question! As of today (10/13/2014) -

…more

1.) no publisher has seen this manuscript;
2.) not even my agent has read this;
3.) because I am working on revisions, there is no final version

I am very grateful that people seem to like this book, and are adding it to their to-read pile, and I thank whoever it was that added it to GR. But there are no plans for this book just yet, given the points mentioned above!

I'll be announcing any new updates on my blog or on my Twitter account. It's an odd, whimsical manuscript that needs a lot of mind wrestling to get right (hence the constant revisions), and very different from my horror books. It's one I am hoping to share with you guys soon!(less)

Start your review of Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oh no! I haven’t pushed the dnf button for any book for a long time! But I cannot go on however I tried sooooo hard!
I gave up. I’m at page 125 and I listen my inner voice kept screaming me; “Put the book down! Nice and slowly!” So I did as I’m told! I raised my hands to the air and surrendered!

I did my best to be patient! I uncounted sheep and drank triple shot espressos at the night time to focus on the story. (I sacrificed a great bottle of wine during my read which gives me more inner
Lola
This is a ‘‘did not finish’’ from me.

The world building is so confusing. I can keep on reading and reading but I don’t understand more. Actually, I understand less. Because if from the beginning you’re not eased into the magic system and the different aspects that constitute the fantasy world, chances are you’re going to be so confused that you’re going to compensate by focusing on the characters more than the world around them.

But if, as is the case here, the characters—main and secondary—are
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
ARC from December FairyLoot

Mel
Rin Chupeco
May 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
EDIT: for everything you might like to know about WICKED AS YOU WISH, a thread: https://twitter.com/RinChupeco/status...

Join the street team: https://t.co/BdYEVFWpwL

---------------------------

This was the first book I'd ever written, shelved way back in 2010 because it wasn't "marketable", according to the feedback that I'd believed then.

Except every book I'd published since wasn't really marketable either. THE GIRL FROM THE WELL wasn't marketable because "horror didn't sell". THE BONE WITCH
sarah xoxo
Jan 09, 2020 added it
Shelves: fantasy, arcs
review to come!

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire for this ARC

Release Date: 3 March 2020
Sahitya
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s probably more of a 2.5 but I’m rounding it up because of a good ending.

I’d been rejected for this ARC so many times that I thought I would have to wait a long time after the release to get it from the library. But then I got selected for Rin’s street team and got the advance copy and I can’t tell you how ecstatic I was. But after finishing the book, my enthusiasm has dulled a little.

The author has written at length on twitter about what this book means to her and why she wrote it,
Boston
Feb 04, 2020 marked it as dnf
Dnf at 20%. Unfortunately I’m not as interested in this as I thought I was and the world was a bit hard to wrap my head around.
Divine
THANKS TO THIS I NOW HAVE A 2020 MUST HAVE SHELF THIS EARLY. AHHHHHHHH FINALLY THE FILIPINO FANTASY REP I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR.
Hollis
I honestly try not to let other reviews and ratings affect me prior to diving into a book but unfortunately this one was definitely a victim of me doing a whole lot of side-eye as the GR rating went down, down, down in the weeks leading up to release (and, as of now, there’s still three weeks to go..). I stayed away from reviews for the most part but I went into this with concerns not only due to the rating but also after seeing a few DNFs pop up in my feed.

Suffice it to say, I understand why
Kristi
Wicked as you Wish by Rin Chupeco is a bridge apart from her past books that I’ve read; it doesn’t carry the same feeling of darkness that The Girl from the Well or The Bone Witch series does but I found it to be just as compelling. Although it took a little time for me to get in to the story, I’m glad I stuck with it.

Prince Alexei of Avalon is new to Arizona in the Royal States of America and is living undercover since the Snow Queen encased his Kingdom in ice. Tala has the ability negate or to
Shealea
I don't know where to begin, but I swear, a positively glowing review will eventually be available on this little space.

For the time being, all I have to say is: With its beautiful cast of courageous (and occasionally whimsical) Filipino characters and clever fairytale references, Wicked As You Wish is a precious book that means so, so much to me. Please, please pick this one up!

Lance
"'Just because you've never been to the Philippines doesn't mean that their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean you don't have their mountains in your eyes. It's not where we are, it's who we are. You'll always be both a Makiling and a Warnock, and always a Filipina. Never forget that.'"

4.5 Stars. Wicked as You Wish is an entirely different beast than Rin Chupeco’s previous work, but still contains the
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
RIN CHUPECO REALLY ISNT COMING TO PLAY WITH ALL THESE UPCOMING RELEASES
Beatrice in Bookland
Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ page 110

Honestly one of the worst books I've ever tried to read lol.
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arcs
I GOT APPROVED FOR THIS ARC TELL ME I'M NOT DREAMING
Rain
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
i don't have enough words as to how happy i am that this book features so much about the filipino culture. MY FAVORITE PINOY FOODS. VIDEOKE. EATING WITH YOUR HANDS. we love to see the representation.

HONORED TO BE PART OF THE PH CHAPTER OF THE ORDER OF THE BANDERSNATCH TOO. (pre-order this book!!!)

i just didn't give this book five stars because i think there were a lot of confusing parts in the story. there were just too many things to grasp like the modern fantasy world, the politics and the
turniip
Not the book for me and that’s okay!
Kayla
Jan 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
my excitement for this story has been reignited and im considering pre-ordering this now...has anyone read an arc of this? thoughts?
Kimberly (novelhaus)
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-releases
I'm not sure what was going on with me here, but I just struggled with this one. I loved the concept. The mishmashing of different mythologies and fairytales was unique and done in a very natural and organic way. It didn't feel forced. Everything tied together beautifully. I love the fact that the characters were so diverse in terms of background, ethnicity, sexuality, and all of that, which is always refreshing to see.

My problem was that the story and writing just felt like it was meant for a
Mere
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Fairyloot, the author & publisher for providing an arc!

Deliriously wonderful, and delightfully innovative. Fairytales galore and amazing writing combine to make an adventure. Chupeco is gifted at creating a deft story interwoven with an intriguing plot and carefully crafted characters. The concept of this book seems easy to grasp, and at first, it is. But the more you move into this story, the weirder it gets and the harder it is to follow. And yet, the book worked for me. You
Feb 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF at 45%

I'm giving this 1.5/5 stars. While I recognize that this book addresses important topics, it just wasn't for me. I seriously had no idea what was going on, there were too many one dimensional characters, and there was very little world building. I can see other people liking this because it's pretty quirky, but I'm giving up.
Ava
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WICKED AS YOU WISH reminds me of a patchwork quilt; it’s made up of so many pieces, but it smells like your childhood and brings a certain sense of comfort as you’re reading. This book is about a young girl named Tala, whose family “curse” is to negate the effects of magic, and she and her family are in charge of putting an exiled prince back on his throne. The world Tala lives in is familiar and rich with Filippino influences, and it’s clear that our “history” remains the same -- but all of ...more
Dany
I received the e- copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Review will be posted closer to the publishing date.
Isa Lavinia
Jun 14, 2014 marked it as wishlist
I NEED THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW!
Annette
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookboxarc
As soon as I saw this ARC in the Fairyloot and read the blurb on the back, I knew this was gonna be my next read. It seemed to have and be everything I could wish for in a book and I was really curious how Chupeco would make all the different elements work together. And even though as a non-English native it wasn't always the easiest book to read, I ended up enjoying it immensely.

What made this book so incredibly interesting and brilliant is the mix of this being a high fantasy (with fantasy
USOM
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if I can pick my favorite thing about Wicked As You Wish. Whether it be Tala's family, the group dynamics, or the fabulous world building, it's a difficult choice! I had such high standards coming into Wicked As You Wish since The Bone Witch trilogy has to be one of my fave ever. But Wicked As You Wish is something entirely different in an amazing way. Tackling issues of privilege and past mistakes, there are moments of pure humor and the world building is this kind of kaleidoscope ...more
Elodia
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I feel underwhelmed by this book, more specifically with the story itself, because I feel overwhelmed with how much the author tried to mix in. It combines fairytales, magical realism, urban fantasy into one big plot, and I think it was too much.

The first 80 pages or so were really slow and info dumpy. We were still getting new information about the world/magic system well into the book, which just made everything more confusing.
Speaking of, the world building in this was so convoluted and
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Ooo some promising releases coming it seems
Grace
Jan 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
*sigh* my first DNF of 2020. Hopefully my last as well, since I truly hate DNF'ing books. I got five chapters and 60 pages in and couldn't take it anymore. The world/magic system made NO SENSE to me, the story felt childish in general, and I couldn't keep track of all the characters, much less care about any of them. The only good thing is the chapter titles. Those are hilarious! Unfortunately I Can't find anything else positive to say about this. Not the book for me.
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
RTC for blog tour. Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for my earc.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Eight Will Fall
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Belle Révolte
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Of Silver and Shadow
  • Nameless Queen
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
For updates, events, and new releases, sign up for her newsletter at http://www.rinchupeco.com/newsletter Unfortunately, I cannot accept friend requests at this time - Amazon detects these friends' lists on Goodreads and prevents the people on them from leaving book reviews!

------------------------

Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains her sense of hummus.

A Hundred Names for Magic (2 books)
  • Untitled (A Hundred Names for Magic, #2)