Start by marking “Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)

Wicked As You Wish

(A Hundred Names for Magic #1)

Tala Warnock has little use for magic – as a descendant of Maria Makiling, the legendary Filipina heroine, she negates spells, often by accident. But her family’s old ties to the country of Avalon (frozen, bespelled, and unreachable for almost 12 years) soon finds them guarding its last prince from those who would use his kingdom’s magic for insidious ends.

And with the
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

Win a Copy of This Book

• Wicked As You Wish by Rin Chupeco
    Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
    Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 100 advance reader copies of Wicked As You Wish by award-winning YA author Rin Chupeco, now with TWO STARRED reviews! ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3041 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 17 - Jan 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Wicked As You Wish, please sign up.
    Rin Chupeco A tentative date is 2020. Some very new and happy announcements this month, hopefully!
    Rin Chupeco Eep. I actually didn't know that this planned book had already found its way to Goodreads until you asked this question! As of today (10/13/2014) -

…more

1.) no publisher has seen this manuscript;
    2.) not even my agent has read this;
    3.) because I am working on revisions, there is no final version

I am very grateful that people seem to like this book, and are adding it to their to-read pile, and I thank whoever it was that added it to GR. But there are no plans for this book just yet, given the points mentioned above!

I'll be announcing any new updates on my blog or on my Twitter account. It's an odd, whimsical manuscript that needs a lot of mind wrestling to get right (hence the constant revisions), and very different from my horror books. It's one I am hoping to share with you guys soon!(less)

Start your review of Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    ARC from December FairyLoot

Mel
    Lola
    This is a ‘‘did not finish’’ from me.

The world building is so confusing. I can keep on reading and reading but I don’t understand more. Actually, I understand less. Because if from the beginning you’re not eased into the magic system and the different aspects that constitute the fantasy world, chances are you’re going to be so confused that you’re going to compensate by focusing on the characters more than the world around them.

But if, as is the case here, the characters—main and secondary—are
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Oh no! I haven’t pushed the dnf button for any book for a long time! But I cannot go on however I tried sooooo hard!
    I gave up. I’m at page 125 and I listen my inner voice kept screaming me; “Put the book down! Nice and slowly!” So I did as I’m told! I raised my hands to the air and surrendered!

I did my best to be patient! I uncounted sheep and drank triple shot espressos at the night time to focus on the story. (I sacrificed a great bottle of wine during my read which gives me more inner
    Rin Chupeco
    May 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    EDIT: for everything you might like to know about WICKED AS YOU WISH, a thread: https://twitter.com/RinChupeco/status...

Join the street team: https://t.co/BdYEVFWpwL

---------------------------

This was the first book I'd ever written, shelved way back in 2010 because it wasn't "marketable", according to the feedback that I'd believed then.

Except every book I'd published since wasn't really marketable either. THE GIRL FROM THE WELL wasn't marketable because "horror didn't sell". THE BONE WITCH
    sarah xoxo
    Jan 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: arcs
    Thanks to sourcebooks fire for the ARC
    Divine
    THANKS TO THIS I NOW HAVE A 2020 MUST HAVE SHELF THIS EARLY. AHHHHHHHH FINALLY THE FILIPINO FANTASY REP I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR.
    Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
    RIN CHUPECO REALLY ISNT COMING TO PLAY WITH ALL THESE UPCOMING RELEASES
    Lance
    "'Just because you've never been to the Philippines doesn't mean that their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean you don't have their mountains in your eyes. It's not where we are, it's who we are. You'll always be both a Makiling and a Warnock, and always a Filipina. Never forget that.'"

4.5 Stars. Wicked as You Wish is an entirely different beast than Rin Chupeco’s previous work, but still contains the
    Beatrice in Bookland
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: dnf
    DNF @ page 110

Honestly one of the worst books I've ever tried to read lol.
    Shealea
    I don't know where to begin, but I swear, a positively glowing review will eventually be available on this little space.

For the time being, all I have to say is: With its beautiful cast of courageous (and occasionally whimsical) Filipino characters and clever fairytale references, Wicked As You Wish is a precious book that means so, so much to me. Please, please pick this one up!

Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
    Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: arcs
    I GOT APPROVED FOR THIS ARC TELL ME I'M NOT DREAMING
    turniip
    Not the book for me and that’s okay!
    Rain
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    i don't have enough words as to how happy i am that this book features so much about the filipino culture. MY FAVORITE PINOY FOODS. VIDEOKE. EATING WITH YOUR HANDS. we love to see the representation.

HONORED TO BE PART OF THE PH CHAPTER OF THE ORDER OF THE BANDERSNATCH TOO. (pre-order this book!!!)

i just didn't give this book five stars because i think there were a lot of confusing parts in the story. there were just too many things to grasp like the modern fantasy world, the politics and the
    Mere
    Jan 06, 2020 marked it as arcs
    Thank you to Fairyloot & the author for providing an arc!

Review TBA
    Dany
    I received the e- copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Review will be posted closer to the publishing date.
    Isa Lavinia
    Jun 14, 2014 marked it as wishlist
    I NEED THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW!
    Annette
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: bookboxarc
    As soon as I saw this ARC in the Fairyloot and read the blurb on the back, I knew this was gonna be my next read. It seemed to have and be everything I could wish for in a book and I was really curious how Chupeco would make all the different elements work together. And even though as a non-English native it wasn't always the easiest book to read, I ended up enjoying it immensely.

What made this book so incredibly interesting and brilliant is the mix of this being a high fantasy (with fantasy
    Ava
    Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    WICKED AS YOU WISH reminds me of a patchwork quilt; it’s made up of so many pieces, but it smells like your childhood and brings a certain sense of comfort as you’re reading. This book is about a young girl named Tala, whose family “curse” is to negate the effects of magic, and she and her family are in charge of putting an exiled prince back on his throne. The world Tala lives in is familiar and rich with Filippino influences, and it’s clear that our “history” remains the same -- but all of ...more
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    Ooo some promising releases coming it seems
    USOM
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I don't know if I can pick my favorite thing about Wicked As You Wish. Whether it be Tala's family, the group dynamics, or the fabulous world building, it's a difficult choice! I had such high standards coming into Wicked As You Wish since The Bone Witch trilogy has to be one of my fave ever. But Wicked As You Wish is something entirely different in an amazing way. Tackling issues of privilege and past mistakes, there are moments of pure humor and the world building is this kind of kaleidoscope ...more
    Grace
    Jan 15, 2020 added it
    Shelves: dnf
    *sigh* my first DNF of 2020. Hopefully my last as well, since I truly hate DNF'ing books. I got five chapters and 60 pages in and couldn't take it anymore. The world/magic system made NO SENSE to me, the story felt childish in general, and I couldn't keep track of all the characters, much less care about any of them. The only good thing is the chapter titles. Those are hilarious! Unfortunately I Can't find anything else positive to say about this. Not the book for me.
    Lauren
    Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: fantasy, queer, re-telling
    This was chaotic.... I LOVE IT.

This was a unique fantasy/magical realism/re-telling/contemporary (ah so many slashes). My favourite aspect being in brings in some many different fairytales/fables and Run Chupeco makes it her own - the main ones being Alice in Wonderland and the Snow Queen but there are countless others.

I really liked the the group of friends (well sort of) sent off on this adventure, all with great personalities - especially Tala and Alex's friendship which really progresses in
    Sage Knightly
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Pretty disappointed in how this turned out. Big twists were predictable, lots of loose ends, characters don't really show growth, it was all over the place plot wise, and world building was meh.

I kept reading because I wanted to know how it ended.

Wicked As You Wish follows Tala as her and her family try to hide their magic (the fact that they can cancel magic, rather) as well as protect the Prince of a kingdom that has been cursed as well as frozen so that no one can enter or leave. The
    Brianna Donato
    May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book was incredible! It's filled with funny characters, has a light/fast pace that I appreciated, and I loved how old fairy tales were reworked into this story. I've been a big fan of Rin Chupeco's work since the beginning, and I look forward to the next books in this series.
    Breanna Boyer
    Feb 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Yeeeaaaaaa I need this book like now!!
    Longmei Ge
    So, this was my first ARC!
    I borrowed this from my school's librarian (who got it from a FairyLoot box)

*3.8 ish*
    The book starts pretty slow, but after the first 40 ish pages, it starts to pick up. Overall, though, this book was okay, but there were two issues that made the book a little hard to get into.

1. The world building
    One of the more difficult parts about writing and reading fantasy is understanding whichever world your plunged into. Getting a handle of the geography, customs, etc. My
    Katie
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
    I would like to say thank you to Netgalley for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was so excited for this book, this is the first Rin Chupeco book I have read but I have heard so many good things about her.

Let's start with what I did enjoy, I enjoyed the writing in this book, I also enjoyed the chapter headers. I feel like they were very unique and really added to my enjoyment of the book. I liked her writing style, I found that despite my feelings the book was
    Laurie
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Sad to say but this just wasn't the book for me, it is a DNF at 20%. I have no idea if I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to read this but for the life of me had no idea what was going on. It is the most confusing world and reading experience I have had in a while. I usually enjoy the blending of real and fantasy but with Wicked As You Wish I had some difficulty making sense of it all. It referenced real world places and people in our current history and than mixed it with fantastical ...more
    Jacqui Lewis
    ARC received in Fairyloot box

DNF at 80 pages. I’m not sure whether it was just me, or whether this book really was as much of a mess as I felt.

The premise and ideas behind this book are amazing. A mixture of so many beloved fairytales coming together for a wild ride; so much diversity and interesting characters.

But I think perhaps this is where it went wrong. There was just TOO much going on, too many fairytales mixed in. I could hardly keep up, and I generally like to think that I am capable of
    Sanny
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
    I got this ARC through the Fairyloot December box and was initially really excited.

But then it fell completely flat and I actually gave up halfway through. I'd like to say something good but unfortunately, this didn't work for me at all.

The wordbuilding was confusing at times (and I didn't enjoy the setting of the story at all). There nothing noteworthy about the characters and while I love YA fantasy this was a bit too juvenile for my taste.
    « previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eight Will Fall
    • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
    • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
    • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
    • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • Belle Révolte
    • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
    • Crown of Oblivion
    • Reverie
    • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
    • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
    • Winterwood
    • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
    • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
    • A Constellation of Roses
    • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
    For updates, events, and new releases, sign up for her newsletter at http://www.rinchupeco.com/newsletter Unfortunately, I cannot accept friend requests at this time - Amazon detects these friends' lists on Goodreads and prevents the people on them from leaving book reviews!

------------------------

Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains her sense of hummus.

A Hundred Names for Magic (2 books)
    • Untitled (A Hundred Names for Magic, #2)