Start by marking “Night Shoot” as Want to Read:
Night Shoot

Night Shoot

A group of desperate student filmmakers break into Crawford Manor for an unauthorised night shoot. They have no choice. Their lead actress has quit. They’re out of time. They’re out of money.

They’re out of luck.

For Crawford Manor has a past that won’t stay dead, and the crew are about to come face-to-face with the hideous secret that stalks the halls.

Will anyone survive…
Published May 9th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Night Shoot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shoot

Start your review of Night Shoot
Johann (jobis89)
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“He realised how trivial onscreen deaths were. They never got it right, couldn’t replicate the true gut-churning horror of real life.”

Desperate student filmmakers break into Crawford Manor for an unauthorised night shoot.

The best damn horror book I’ve read in a while! I devoured it in 24 hours and even stayed up until 2am cos I just. couldn’t. stop. And I never do that!!

This is only Sodergren’s second novel and yet his writing reads like that of an esteemed author. He just hits all the right
Bark
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-fiction, horror
Night Shoot is a wild slasher flick in novel form and it is a ton of fun with plenty of dreadful characters who couldn’t die fast enough!

Elspeth is our main character. In order to receive her degree in film & photography she has to complete a project with a group of mostly idiot jerk-offs. The lead jerk in charge decides his family’s ancient and crumbling ancestral home called “Crawford Manor”, surrounded by woods and sea, would be the perfect setting to film their horror flick. And he’s
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year I reviewed David Sodergren's debut novel, THE FORGOTTEN ISLAND for Scream Magazine. A full five out of five skulls! It was my hope that Scream Mag's fanbase would pick that book up because they truly are Sodergren's target audience.
Horror Fiction Lovers who are also Horror Cinema Hounds will find that Sodergren marries the two mediums together.
Being an avid horror fiction reader and horror film aficionado himself, Sodergren brings his vast knowledge of both to the page. The result is a
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Night Shoot blends together elements of popular horror subgenres to create a narrative that felt classic, yet fresh. Crossing a haunted house story with a slasher narrative, this novel has something for just about every kind of horror reader.

The characters were well developed, especially given the length of the novel. I particularly appreciated the inclusion of some queer representation with a lesbian relationship prominently displayed at the beginning of the novel.

The author is
Emily
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Within the dank walls of Crawford Manor, secrets were given time to breathe. To atrophy. To fester. He knew this all too well."

3.5 rounded up

Night Shoot is David Sodergren's second novel, and once again, it feels like a horror movie on the page, which I love. His books are always entertaining. I loved the night shoot environment of this book, and it set up an interesting story.

I felt like the book sort of transitioned from horror comedy to a much more serious vibe, and I had really been into
Mindi
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to follow...
Steve Stred
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

** A couple of Full Disclosure’s here before we start! The first is that Mr. Sodergren has become my main copy-editor on all of my works. He’s been instrumental in helping me and my writing. The second is that, while he does have a column here at Kendall Reviews, neither of the two disclosures have in any way influenced my review. **

Last year, the horror world was introduced to David Sodergren’s debut Novel ‘The Forgotten Island.’ It was a
Brandon
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I wanted to read at the time of reading. Fast-as-hell, to-the-point, gory nastiness, with a grim spirit. As the book goes on, the dark and hopeless atmosphere builds to a very high tension conclusion.

Pick your 80s slasher, amp up the gore by 10, have it need its script proofread by a professional psychotherapist and you've got the idea.

Think Hell Night (the one with Linda Blair) as directed by Ruggero Deodato.
Jamie Stewart
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This ode to 80s slasher films gave me one of the most edge of my seat reading experiences this year and did some without one drop of blood. That’s not to say there isn’t plenty of grisly murder in this book, there is, but the experience I mentioned came from a scene, in which four friends bully their female friend to act and appear nude in their student film. It is a heart in your throat type of read that takes true talent to pull off and it is achieved with flair by the author. Reading, his ...more
Laurel
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a heck of a fun read. I picked it up on the recommendation of Mother Horror, and wasn't disappointed. I went into it knowing it would be a total gore fest. It was perfectly paced, with interesting characters you're either rooting for or can't wait for them to meet their demise. I also loved all the tidbits about the joys of being on set - the personalities and egos and petty fights. The book was a quick read, because I kept wanting to know what happened next.

One other excellent note
Kevin Jones
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don’t mess with Elspeth! This book grabbed my attention and did not let go. True to its billing as a tribute to 1980s slasher movies, I thought Night Shoot was so much more than that with a few, unexpected twists and moments of real dread. And I can’t say enough about Elspeth as a final girl not to be messed with. Highly recommended if you like your slasher movies with a twist.
Sjgomzi
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-list-2019
A relentless, vicious, nail biting, balls to the wall horror nightmare. Great characters, great monsters, and it made me choke up at the end! I hope David Sodergren writes a thousand books. He’s now joined that select group of authors on my buy on sight list!
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Reading a Sodergren novel is just like sitting down in an old creaky theater, a big tub of popcorn in your lap and a cold drink in the cupholder of your seat. The lights dim and the movie starts and it’s an old school horror flick, a bad B-movie chiller where you know most of the cast isn’t going to make it and you laugh and cheer through all the gory effects, jump scares, and chase scenes. There’s nothing like that space, in the dark, with the smell of the butter and the dust of the movie ...more
Gavin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Night Shoot features storyline elements that'll be familiar to fans of 80s monster/slasher movies. I do not say this disrespectfully, Night Shoot ticks the boxes for fans of the sleazy, low budget movies we all loved on VHS and wears these homages proudly on its sleeve.

A big old house.
A deadly secret
Characters that you want to die
A classic final girl
Stormy weather
Sex
Violence
Gore

But what Sodergren does is skillfully mould the elements into a fast paced, brutal novel that is every bit as
Daniel (horrordaniel)
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Review to come.
Paula
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Mind blowing horror!! I truly enjoyed this book and recommend it to all horror lovers!
Jesse Bollinger
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
this would make a great movie! it reminds me of something i'd rent at the video stre. it had some great gory action and characters i was interested in. i was really pulling for Elsepeth to survive the horror of her situation. there were many times i could picture the kills as they were in a film. read this and you'll have a great time!
Liz Hoffman
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
“Embrace the Trash”, the author encourages in the afterword. And I tried. There was indeed a lot of trash to revel in. Lots of typical horror with a few bouts of heroics to give the story a boost.
Michael
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Noooo! I’m out of book. Need more DS!

So I’ve read David’s The Forgotten Island this week, and now Night Shoot. I wish I could give Night Shoot 4.5 stars. Not because it disappointed, but only because I gave TFI five stars and it’s my fave of the two, but I’m not giving NS only four. For me, four stars is very high praise and marks a book that should definitely be recommended. Above that - for me - means it’s re-readable, and I will definitely be revisiting these stories again. My fave line from
Martha
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Night Shoot is a decent book, with some good characters and enough nastiness to make it a worthwhile read for horror fans.

The book follows a small crew of Scottish filmmakers, shooting a horror film as part of their final grade at university. The house they're filming in has bars on the outside of its windows, many locked doors and a proviso that the students be out by 8pm. Naturally, they wind up being there past 8pm and we find out why all those doors were better kept locked...

This book won't
Morgan K Tanner
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently read (and absolutely bloody loved) David Sodergren's novel, The Forgotten Island. It had excitement, likeable characters, hideous monsters, and plenty of gore-splattered icky moments.

It was a no-brainer that I'd soon read his next opus with high expectations.

Did I worry that this one wouldn't live up to the hype? Maybe, but surely The Forgotten Island couldn't have been a one-off? Erm, it wasn't.

In Night Shoot, a group of student film makers have somehow managed to acquire the use of
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NIGHT SHOOT is about a group of student filmmakers who are up against a deadline. Their shooting location, Crawford Manor, is only available to them for one day and they ran out of time before they could finish filming their movie. There is only one solution, break into the Manor and finish their movie, or fail the class. The group "borrows" a key and lets themselves back into the old house, but they aren't the only ones there and soon the blood and guts hit the fan.

After finishing THE
Baker St Shelves
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was hesitant at first to read this, since I did not like his last book at all.
But my doppelgänger who loves slasher books as much as I do gave it a positive review, so I decided to check it out.
I have to say that this was a huge step up from the last one that I really enjoyed.
A group of film students only have one day to shoot their scenes at an old mansion, but a killer is on the grounds picking them off one at a time.
Already that sounds like a great setup and they make it better with a quick
sweetdee
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I want to start a review out with “I could hardly stand to put this down” it means this book blew me away
It made me cringe, it was disgusting, it made me nauseous.. it was everything I love and in my opinion those things make up an exceptional horror novel
My heart was beating out of my chest at some points
I have absolutely zero complaints, I loved every page of this book and I loved the way the author chose to end it
I truly crave a good ending and when the author delivers it’s just icing
Jeff
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Daniel C.
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
NIGHT SHOOT by David Sodergren is a slasher film as novel. A GOOD slasher film. You have it all- numerous characters ranging from loathesome to endearing, graphic bloodshed, a memorable killer, nudity, a pictuesque location, and... a final girl! Great fun! @paperbacksnpugs https://t.co/6Tltf7bbgI ...more
Cristian Figueroa
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished Night Shoot & it was another awesome read. The ending was a little dark for me but with this book it works well. Crawford manor is truly a house of horrors and it makes you wonder if places like this really do lurk out there in the dark woods. "Eeeelllliiisabeeeth" lmaoo. Great horror read!
Wayne Fenlon
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NIGHT SHOOT was an absolute blast from start to finish.
An excellently crafted story, with a little humour and a ton of gore that would satisfy any slasher horror movie fan.
I'm glad I bagged a signed copy.

If you liked David Sodergren's first novel ISLAND then you'll love this.
If you haven't read that one then please go and fix that.

Can't wait for the next one.

Five stars. No question.
Simon
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn this was good. Really recommend to those that like slasher films and gory horror. The writing was excellent and the characters well developed. It’s rare to read a horror novel where the horror matches the character development. Love that there’s a same sex couple as well. Can’t wait for the next book by David!
Joe
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween-2019
2.5 to 3 stars. It’s an homage to horror films of the early to mid-eighties. It started off pretty solid but was a sappy cliched mess over the final quarter or so of the book. It’s a decent way to start my month of horror off this year, but I won’t be worried about how other stories shape up against this as I’m pretty sure better things are to come.

• Dead Leaves: 9 Tales from the Witching Season
  • Halloween Fiend
  • The Pale White
  • Violet
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • The Dark Game
  • Camp Slaughter
  • If You See Her
  • We Live Inside Your Eyes
  • Kill River
  • The Resurrectionists (Salem Hawley, #1)
  • The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • Remains
  • Dear Laura
  • Where Stars Won't Shine
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • Slash
  • The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
David Sodergren lives in Scotland with his wife Heather and his best friend, Boris the Pug.

Growing up, he was the kind of kid who collected rubber skeletons and lived for horror movies.

Not much has changed since then.

His first novel, The Forgotten Island, was published on October 1st 2018 to critical acclaim. Up next is Night Shoot, a brutal throwback to the early 80s slasher movie cycle, coming