Start by marking “Night Shoot” as Want to Read:
Night Shoot

Night Shoot

A group of desperate student film-makers break into Crawford Manor for an unauthorised night shoot. They have no choice. Their lead actress has quit. They’re out of time. They’re out of money.

They’re out of luck.

For Crawford Manor has a past that won’t stay dead, and the crew are about to come face-to-face with the hideous secret that stalks the halls.

Will anyone survive…
Published May 9th 2019 by Amazon Media

To ask other readers questions about Night Shoot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shoot

Start your review of Night Shoot
Johann (jobis89)
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“He realised how trivial onscreen deaths were. They never got it right, couldn’t replicate the true gut-churning horror of real life.”

Desperate student filmmakers break into Crawford Manor for an unauthorised night shoot.

The best damn horror book I’ve read in a while! I devoured it in 24 hours and even stayed up until 2am cos I just. couldn’t. stop. And I never do that!!

This is only Sodergren’s second novel and yet his writing reads like that of an esteemed author. He just hits all the right not
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
Night Shoot is a wild slasher flick in novel form and it is a ton of fun with plenty of dreadful characters who couldn’t die fast enough!

Elspeth is our main character. In order to receive her degree in film & photography she has to complete a project with a group of mostly idiot jerk-offs. The lead jerk in charge decides his family’s ancient and crumbling ancestral home called “Crawford Manor”, surrounded by woods and sea, would be the perfect setting to film their horror flick. And he’s not wr
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year I reviewed David Sodergren's debut novel, THE FORGOTTEN ISLAND for Scream Magazine. A full five out of five skulls! It was my hope that Scream Mag's fanbase would pick that book up because they truly are Sodergren's target audience.
Horror Fiction Lovers who are also Horror Cinema Hounds will find that Sodergren marries the two mediums together.
Being an avid horror fiction reader and horror film aficionado himself, Sodergren brings his vast knowledge of both to the page. The result is a
Ashley Daviau
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely AMAZING homage to 80s slasher films. I fell instantly in love with it from the very first word and my love only grew stronger as the story progressed. Sodergren knows how to write one HELLUVA horror novel! This book made me laugh one minute and gasp in disgust and horror the next and I really could not have loved it more. From start to finish it is just pure horror excellence, in fact it is by far the best horror novel I’ve read so far this year and I honestly doubt anything w ...more
Jamie Stewart
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This ode to 80s slasher films gave me one of the most edge of my seat reading experiences this year and did some without one drop of blood. That’s not to say there isn’t plenty of grisly murder in this book, there is, but the experience I mentioned came from a scene, in which four friends bully their female friend to act and appear nude in their student film. It is a heart in your throat type of read that takes true talent to pull off and it is achieved with flair by the author. Reading, his wor ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, review-copy
3.5 Stars
Night Shoot blends together elements of popular horror subgenres to create a narrative that felt classic, yet fresh. Crossing a haunted house story with a slasher narrative, this novel has something for just about every kind of horror reader.

The characters were well developed, especially given the length of the novel. I particularly appreciated the inclusion of some queer representation with a lesbian relationship prominently displayed at the beginning of the novel.

The author is clear
Emily
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Within the dank walls of Crawford Manor, secrets were given time to breathe. To atrophy. To fester. He knew this all too well."

3.5⭐ rounded up

Night Shoot is David Sodergren's second novel, and once again, it feels like a horror movie on the page, which I love. His books are always entertaining. I loved the night shoot environment of this book, and it set up an interesting story.

I felt like the book sort of transitioned from horror comedy to a much more serious vibe, and I had really been int
Mindi
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to follow...
Steve Stred
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

** A couple of Full Disclosure’s here before we start! The first is that Mr. Sodergren has become my main copy-editor on all of my works. He’s been instrumental in helping me and my writing. The second is that, while he does have a column here at Kendall Reviews, neither of the two disclosures have in any way influenced my review. **

Last year, the horror world was introduced to David Sodergren’s debut Novel ‘The Forgotten Island.’ It was a ma
Brandon
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I wanted to read at the time of reading. Fast-as-hell, to-the-point, gory nastiness, with a grim spirit. As the book goes on, the dark and hopeless atmosphere builds to a very high tension conclusion.

Pick your 80s slasher, amp up the gore by 10, have it need its script proofread by a professional psychotherapist and you've got the idea.

Think Hell Night (the one with Linda Blair) as directed by Ruggero Deodato.
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
5 stars - full review to come
Red Lace Reviews
Desperate students take desperate measures to finish their film project before their time is up, a rare opportunity to shoot in Crawford Manor impossible to ignore. Sneaking their way in to the maze-like halls, they attempt an overnight stay to soak up the atmosphere and hopefully make significant progress, yet the secrets of the manor begin to stir in the dark. Losing their lead actress is the least of their problems when hideous figures make themselves known, survival soon becoming the priorit ...more
Laurel
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a heck of a fun read. I picked it up on the recommendation of Mother Horror, and wasn't disappointed. I went into it knowing it would be a total gore fest. It was perfectly paced, with interesting characters you're either rooting for or can't wait for them to meet their demise. I also loved all the tidbits about the joys of being on set - the personalities and egos and petty fights. The book was a quick read, because I kept wanting to know what happened next.

One other excellent note ab
Kevin Jones
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don’t mess with Elspeth! This book grabbed my attention and did not let go. True to its billing as a tribute to 1980s slasher movies, I thought Night Shoot was so much more than that with a few, unexpected twists and moments of real dread. And I can’t say enough about Elspeth as a final girl not to be messed with. Highly recommended if you like your slasher movies with a twist.
J.D.
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Summary:

A group of film students manage to find the perfect, out of the way mansion to film their final movie together. There are only two conditions: They only have one day and they must be out of the house by 8PM.
A series of bad luck and problems leads them to not finish in time. So instead of giving up or starting over elsewhere, they decide to break back into Crawford Manor for an all night movie shoot while no one is there. Or at least they think no one is there until it's too late.
They d
Josh
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read_2020, horror, kindle, own
Pretty decent monster mash of a horror which steadily builds tension until a horrific cinematic ending. The characters do just enough to be entertaining but it’s the gory detail which makes this a must read for fans of the genre. Think Richard Laymon’s THE CELLAR and Guy N Smith’s CANNIBALS and you’ll have a good idea as to what to expect.
Danni The Girl
Sep 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reading
I have seen and read so many good things about this book, but I didn’t quite know what it was all about. So a group of students are making a film for their last year of university, and the director has asked his uncle if they can film in his house, he doesn’t live there, its empty (or so they think). The uncle agrees but they need to out of the house by 8pm and no later. There is a long build up of the tension between the group to get all the shots they need by 8pm. Consequently they don’t get a ...more
Levi Walls
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars to another bloody amazing, compulsively readable book from Mr. Sodergren. I will literally buy everything he writes with most haste. Like watching a good classic horror movie, but better. Because reading is better.
Dale Robertson
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb horror tale.

Great writing - check
Creepy location - check
Gruesome deaths - check
Loveable characters - check
Loathesome characters - check

This was everything i wanted from a horror. Really, REALLY enjoyed this.
Sjgomzi
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-list-2019
A relentless, vicious, nail biting, balls to the wall horror nightmare. Great characters, great monsters, and it made me choke up at the end! I hope David Sodergren writes a thousand books. He’s now joined that select group of authors on my buy on sight list!
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Reading a Sodergren novel is just like sitting down in an old creaky theater, a big tub of popcorn in your lap and a cold drink in the cupholder of your seat. The lights dim and the movie starts and it’s an old school horror flick, a bad B-movie chiller where you know most of the cast isn’t going to make it and you laugh and cheer through all the gory effects, jump scares, and chase scenes. There’s nothing like that space, in the dark, with the smell of the butter and the dust of the movie theat ...more
Gavin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Night Shoot features storyline elements that'll be familiar to fans of 80s monster/slasher movies. I do not say this disrespectfully, Night Shoot ticks the boxes for fans of the sleazy, low budget movies we all loved on VHS and wears these homages proudly on its sleeve.

A big old house. ✔
A deadly secret ✔
Characters that you want to die ✔
A classic final girl✔
Stormy weather ✔
Sex ✔
Violence ✔
Gore ✔

But what Sodergren does is skillfully mould the elements into a fast paced, brutal novel that is every b
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: May 9, 2019
Actual Rating: 3 stars

Horror | Slasher Horror | Inhuman Horrors

Night Shoot is a slasher horror novel reminiscent of the Beast House series by Richard Laymon. While the author captured the brutality of the beasts in the book, I felt the ending was underwhelming. No one wants to see character survive the horrors that befell them to only end up going the way they did in this one (you can read my mini spoiler if you want to know what happened to them): (view spoiler)
Lindy
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5, rounding up. I didn’t like this one as much as Forgotten Island, I think it was the characters. I had some issues with a few of them. I did however love the story and all the gorey details. Awesome slasher novel! The author has a way of writing so I feel like I’m watching the movie, I find it very similar to reading a Richard Laymon book.
Daniel (oldnorthbear)
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Review to come.
Oliver Clarke
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review first appeared on scifiandscary.com - the author provided a copy for review consideration
Taken on its own terms, ‘Night Shoot’ is a masterpiece. It’s a book that sets out to capture the low rent, slightly sleazy, blood-soaked vibe of 1980s slasher movies and it does this quite brilliantly. As a teenager, my friends and I devoured this kind of film and revisiting the sub-genre, albeit in literary rather than cinematic form, was a lot of fun. Like many of the movies that inspired it, ‘
Sean
Dec 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Night Shoot is one of those books that, despite being based on an interesting premise, never lives up to its potential. Never even close, in fact. The setting--a sprawling seaside mansion where several student movie-makers are trying to shoot a horror film--is by far the best thing about the whole story. I don't know if the author tried to make the cast of characters utterly unsympathetic on purpose or not, but the fact is not one of them is remotely likable. It's not uncommon for horror stories ...more
Paula
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Mind blowing horror!! I truly enjoyed this book and recommend it to all horror lovers!
Caitlin
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A group of amateur filmmakers set out to film a night shoot in Crawford Manor. They received permission to film during the day but needed to be out of the manor before night. When things go wrong with their schedule and filming, the director decides a night shoot is in order and they break back in. What they find is there is a reason they weren’t meant to leave before dark.

Sodergren does it again in Night Shoot! A homage to 80s slashers, final girls, and all sorts of horrific villains and monst
Liz Hoffman
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
“Embrace the Trash”, the author encourages in the afterword. And I tried. There was indeed a lot of trash to revel in. Lots of typical horror with a few bouts of heroics to give the story a boost.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kill River 3
  • Crossroads
  • The Magpie Coffin
  • Children of the Dark
David Sodergren lives in Scotland with his wife Heather and his best friend, Boris the Pug.

Growing up, he was the kind of kid who collected rubber skeletons and lived for horror movies.

Not much has changed since then.

His first novel, The Forgotten Island, was published on October 1st 2018. This was followed by Night Shoot, a brutal throwback to the early 80s slasher movie cycle, in May 2019.

2020 w