Start by marking “Meet Cute” as Want to Read:
Meet Cute

Meet Cute

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  26,921 ratings  ·  3,386 reviews
9 hours, 18 minutes

The New York Times best-selling author of Pucked and The Good Luck Charm delivers a Hollywood happily ever after where a famous heartthrob falls for his ultimate fangirl in this sexy stand-alone romantic comedy.

Goodreads' hottest romances of 2019.

Kailyn Flowers was always calm, rational, and controlled - until she ended up sprawled all over Daxton Hughe
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published April 9th 2019 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about Meet Cute, please sign up.
Kimberly I was wondering that too! I think Hannah has a point, but still, if I hated someone, even if I had loved them when I was younger, I would no longer ke…moreI was wondering that too! I think Hannah has a point, but still, if I hated someone, even if I had loved them when I was younger, I would no longer keep their memorabilia in plain sight.(less)

·  26,921 ratings  ·  3,386 reviews

Start your review of Meet Cute
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
“I feel her breath on my chin. It’s fruity, like she was eating something sweet before I arrived. I wonder what that smart mouth tastes like. I wonder if she kisses like she argues.”

description

Oh Houston, we have so many problems.

description
_______________

The Story

This was surprisingly my first Helena Hunting book and I anticipated it so much! Maybe that's why it was such a letdown for me... Anyway, when I saw the cover of this book, I thought it was just the light fluffy rom-com I needed at the moment. I
CristiinaReads❀
An emotionally captivating, yet sexy and steamy meet cute that will have you enchanted for more of Daxton and Kailyn's story...

I have to start off by saying that anyone who knows me, knows that my love, adoration and obsession for anything written by Helena Hunting is right there amongst my love for Penelope Douglas and Tessa Bailey as one of my favorite authors due to the fact that she has this magical mind of expressing in words the madness and sweetness that is a true romance novel. She a
jessica
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i knew going into this book that its received some not so cute ratings/reviews. and maybe its because i didnt expect too much out of this that i really enjoyed it. or it could be the fact that ive been cooped up on my house for 6 days due to a country-wide quarantine and it doesnt take much to entertain me these days. lol.

regardless, i thought this was cute! not sure the book is aptly named as the meet-cute really has no factor in the story other than introducing the characters. and HH totally c
Warda
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ⭐️
That cover is clearly a deception. The cuteness of it all doesn’t reflect the depth and the emotions this story had for me.
But I guess that’s part of the surprise and the whole don’t-judge-a-book-by-its-cover thing.

These two main characters did indeed end up having a ‘Meet Cute’. Kailyn is our lovable fangirl and Dax was the star of a hit TV show. A heart throb. She fawns over him, then realises they have the same class together. They attended law school and once all that is over, their
Larry H
3.5 stars.

"I always imagined that if I met one of my favorite celebrities, I'd act cool, be all casual about it, treat them like a regular person. Obviously I was very wrong about that."

It's the first day of law school, and Kailyn is ready to kick ass and take names. And then on her way to her first class, she—literally—runs into Daxton Hughes, the television actor she was utterly obsessed with as a teenager...and might still be now. (She still watches marathons of the long-canceled show and has
Whitney Atkinson
Thanks to Forever for sending me an advanced copy for review!

DNF at 250 pages.

Nothing was particularly horrible about this book that forced me to stop reading it, I just wasn't invested enough to care whether I finished the last 100 pages or not. I think what I expected from this book and what it turned out to be were two different things, and I'm disappointed that this was far below my expectations. Still, I think this book has its audience and some positives, it just wasn't for me.

My biggest
Paromjit
Helena Hunting writes a hugely entertaining and light hearted novel of family and romance set in Los Angeles, that was just what I needed after some dark, disturbing and unsettling reads. Trust lawyer Kailyn Flowers is almost 30 years old, ambitiously chasing a partnership, working all hours to ensure that this dream comes true. On her first day at law school, Kailyn is knocked over by Daxton Hughes, a famous child actor that she harboured a huge crush on, with an obsession for the series he sta ...more
EmBibliophile
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars

The beginning of this book was a huge mess. The book was just all over the place that I almost DNFed it. It felt like too much was happening too fast, like the author wanted to get that beginning over with!

After those first 70-ish pages the pace started to become more steady, fortunately! Neither the title nor the cover are really related to the actual story. That “meet cute” at the beginning was so dumb with nothing cute about it. Also, The part about him being famous when he was youn
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars.

Some covers lie. That’s just the way it is. You can scream, you can cry, but it won’t change a thing. That is the way if the book world.

A bit dramatic, okay, but the truth is this is not the super cute/adorable/funny story the cover promises. There is indeed a ‘‘meet cute’’ happening in the very beginning… but that’s it. The rest is not exactly rom-com-worthy.

I’m saying all of this to warn you because I’ve been fooled by covers before and it’s a little bit confusing and frustrating. Bu
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

I look back up at him, and my explanation gets stuck in my throat when I stop to really take him in. I recognize his face as one I’ve had endless fantasies about all through my teen years. And into my adult ones.

MEET CUTE is an ”enemies-to-lovers” romance with just the right dose of schmexy, heart, and a little dash of intrigue all rolled up into one perfect package. I instantly fell in love with the main characters and the plot. This is why
Jilly
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Aw, look at how cute they are sharing a straw with a heart! With that title and that cover, this has to be a funny, sweet romance, right?

Yeah, this isn't at all what it seems. The book is about loss and betrayal and trying to put the pieces back together. Yes, there is a romance, but it isn't all sweet and cute. It's angsty and difficult because of the circumstances that surround it.

It's still pretty good, but definitely not what it looks like.

Judging it from the perspective of what the book r
Sara
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that Romance is not a genre i particularly enjoy in general but i did receive an Arc of this from Netgalley and thought i would give it a fair chance.
This was a very sweet story, it has more bite than your usual Rom-Com and tackles some serious topics tactfully.

Bits of it were charming, bits of it were fairly cringe for me but overall the plot wasn't too bad. I did have issues with the villain though, she seemed almost cartoonish and predictable in terms of how "villainous" she w
Corina
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

First I need to mention that this did not feel like a typical rom-com. And I think if that’s what you are expecting, you will be disappointed. Instead it’s a touching and heartfelt love-story with some LOL moments, but it’s NOT what I would perceive as a rom-com. The cover is a bit misleading too. Nevertheless this book was a wonderful surprise – and should be read by anyone who loves something a bit more emotional and heartwarming.

This book was one of the biggest surprises of 2019
Hulya Kara Yuksel
This book was so different than I've expected it (also despite the cute book cover, story was so emotional) but still I've enjoyed reading it. <3

Wendy'sThoughts
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Helena Hunting Fans, Romance
3.5 Cute Meet Meets Real Stars-REAL CUTE $1.99 Limited Time!!!
* * * 1/2 Congratulations-2019 Best Romance
Semifinal Round Nominee, Review Spoiler Free

For those who love RomComs, the traditional opening scene is a "Cute Meet"... a mistaken identity, bumping into the hottest guy only to have him be your (insert) boss, professor, neighbor, science partner, and or slamming into "The One" with a huge drink or hand full of files go all over the person who was bumped. Chemistry is hidden by the confusi
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
4 STARS
she seems to have a pretty serious hate-on for me. That rivalry used to amp me up back then, and apparently it still does.

So full disclosure; I'm not sure why, but after reading the blurb and seeing the ADORABLE cover, I was expecting a steamy, laugh out loud rom-com. This book was not quite that. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. While it wasn't quite what I expected, I still fell in love with this story and these characters.

This was an incredibly sweet, character-drive
Amy Imogene Reads

Oof. This was my first Helena Hunting, and I think I didn’t really realize what kind of romance novel this was. I was looking for lighthearted banter with steamy sizzle. Instead, I got quite the detailed and predictable family drama, and overly-explained few and far between sizzle.

Writing: ★★★
Plot: ★★ 1/2
Romance/Steamy: ★★ (this is personal preference, but I did not find this book steamy.)
Interest: ★★

Meet Cute sounds like the adorable romantic comedy we've all been waiting for. A girl
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
4 Stars!
(ARC provided by Forever-Grand Central Publishing)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Kailyn Flowers is excited to attend Law school at UCLA. On her first day she’s so caught up in her schedule she doesn’t see the hot guy coming her way until she collides with him. Then she’s on the ground looking up into the eyes of her teen crush, child TV star Daxton Hughes. She’s been infatuated with him and his show for years, and had a massive crush on the fictional character he portrayed. To make things more awkward, he’s also i
• Lindsey Dahling •
Lard, this was annoying to read.

It was also too much of a downer for me to put it in the “fluff” category, even though it had all of the typical fluff elements: flat characters, predictable plot, pointless sidekicks. But, I knew going into it that it dealt with death and loss, so that wasn’t a surprise.

Let me be clear: I like fluff. I’m totally fine with the typical fluff elements.

What I am not fine with is lazy writing. Which makes up 85% of this book.

Examples of lazy writing (Note: NONE of the
Malene
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Cute was definitely cute, funny and swoon worthy. The dynamics between Dax, his thirteen year old sister Emme, Kailyn and her best friend Holly were absolutely fabulous. Every character had so much heart and charisma.
Dax and Kailyn know one another from law school and had a fierce competitive relationship. Both strived to be the best at everything and enjoyed riling each other up. When they meet 5 years later it’s not with fond memories of their past. Not when it comes to Kailyn. She holds
Grace
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was highly entertained and loved Kailyn the main character. She was hardworking, ambitious, and despite her success was somewhat flawed. The direction of the plot was predictable but I was interested in the story journey. I knew Kailyn mixing business with pleasure was nothing but trouble, yet I was drawn into the story waiting to see how it will play out.
I don’t know why this book reminds me so much of “Gilmore girls” especially the ever pushy and ambitious Paris Geller.
Anyway, I had a great
L.J. Shen
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so much more than I ever expected it to be.
So much more than a romance.
It wasn't just MORE, it was EVERYTHING.

Kaitlyn and Dax are going to own you for the duration of this read. Meet Cute is funny, angsty, deep, entertaining and gut-wrenching. Helena Hunting's writing is flawless, as always, but this is by far her best work to date. It was a real treat and I still sometimes go back to it to read my favorite paragraphs.

Six "Hollywood Heartthrob Meets Awesome Fangirl" Stars!
Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews*
Laugh out loud funny with lots of banter, Meet Cute certainly hit the spot! While it took me longer than it should to read this super cute book, it’s totally on me and has no bearing on my enjoyment level.

Helena Hunting’s signature comedy and witty banter shine through in this funny and emotional single parent romance. Kailyn and Dax’s relationship goes from tenuous and tumultuous to emotional and heartfelt. You will feel all the feels in this one.

What I loved:
The trope is winner.
I really enjoy
Kat
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-4
This was one of my favorite Helena Hunting novels from the very start. A cute setup and great chemistry between the characters. Daxton, former teen movie star, and Kaillin knew each other in law school and hate a serious love-hate thing going on. She’s still pissed at him five years later when he shows up in her law office… and doesn’t recognize her.

(view spoiler)
shirley ♡
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
“Sometimes the darkest tragedies bring us the brightest lights.”

I didn’t think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did. I loved the characters since the first chapter and the story was emotional and beautiful.
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
So I'm a type of reader who very rarely reads blurbs lol So the cover is pretty much all I have before I dive into the book and I thought this was going to be a romcom. hehe Well, imagine my surprise when this turned out to be a pretty angsty read dealing with tragedy & coping with loss. I know these new cute covers are all the rage but in this case, I don't think it reflects the story inside. But at any rate, I it's about the story and not the cover and the story was great! I really enjoyed it! ...more
*TANYA*
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed something sweet, angst-free and bubble gum. Well that’s not exactly what I got but I’m not complaining. I really enjoyed this story.
Heidi
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-goal
3.5

Totally cute read with a fun premise. I’ll admit that some of the writing was inconsistent but I liked the alternating POV chapters. Although the story line jumped a bit too conveniently into the present from the past and maybe pushed the plot line envelope at times— I especially liked how Emme’s plot line was handled. That felt very believable!

And, come on, who hasn’t dreamed of meeting their teen fan crush— Timothy Hutton—I’m still waiting!!
Jessica
When I go into a Helena Hunting book, I typically expect a fun romance that will put a smile on my face. Based on this cover, that's what I thought I was going to get with Meet Cute. Unfortunately, the story inside was much more serious and not as lovable as I thought.

When Kaitlyn literally ran into Daxton on the first day of law school, they sparked a friendly rivalry their entire time in school. Until Dax betrays Kaitlyn and they never speak again. Eight years later, Dax falls back into Kaitl

• The Friend Zone
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • 99 Percent Mine
  • Would Like to Meet
  • My Favorite Half-Night Stand
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Beach Read
Helena Hunting is the author of The USA Today and NYT bestselling PUCKED Series. She lives on the outskirts of Toronto with her incredibly tolerant family and two moderately intolerant cats. She writes everything from romantic sports comedy to new adult angst.

Articles featuring this book

Everywhere we look, fictional characters are finding their second chance at love. High school sweethearts are reuniting, one-night stands are...
“Sometimes the darkest tragedies bring us the brightest lights” 8 likes
“I think you learn how to live with holes in your heart. You can’t patch them up, or plug them with other people, but you find ways to make it bearable, if that makes sense.” 5 likes