Jump to ratings and reviews

Emaneska #4.5

No Fairytale

After the Last War, the world has all too easily forgotten the time of the Written and the Arkmages. In their place, an iron-fisted empire has arisen, one that has finally brought order to the war-torn lands. An empire that has outlawed magick for anyone but itself.

At last, it seems that peace has come to Emaneska. Or, that is what the emperor would have Emaneska believe. On the fringes of the Arkan Empire, a different story is being written. Those who show magick talent must join the empire, live as an outlaw, or hang for their crimes.

The Last War is still being fought, homestead by homestead, and a young peasant girl is about to be thrust into the violent world that exists beneath the lies of empire.

Welcome back to Emaneska.

40 pages, Kindle Edition

First published April 18, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ben Galley

35 books760 followers
Ben Galley is a British author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Vancouver, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released the award-winning weird western Scarlet Star Trilogy and standalone The Heart of Stone, the critically-acclaimed Chasing Graves Trilogy, and the new Scalussen Chronicles.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange new stories or arguing the finer points of magic systems and dragon anatomy, Ben explores the Canadian wilds, sips Scotch single malts, and snowboards very, very badly. One day he hopes to haunt an epic treehouse in the mountains.

Find all of Ben’s books or join his Discord and Patreon at: www.linktr.ee/bengalley

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews
Profile Image for Denise.
120 reviews
May 27, 2019
Way too short for my liking.... I need more!
*squints at calender*
Profile Image for James Music.
15 reviews1 follower
February 25, 2020
Leaves you wanting more

A short story that bridges the gap left by the completion of the Emaneska series. Old and new characters, brutal conflicts, heartwarming dialogue and a lead up to the promise of an excellent series. I can’t wait for the Scalussen Chronicles!
Profile Image for Kerry Smith.
275 reviews8 followers
December 8, 2020
I hadn't even realised this was available, saw it when I went to purchase The Forever King. I loved Emanska series (in fact I love every book Ben Galley has written) and finding this was like getting an extra scoop on your ice-cream Sundae. 4.5 stars
Profile Image for Reader Rick.
414 reviews3 followers
June 17, 2021
A Good Introduction

No Fairytale was a quick read. It fills the gaps between the two series pretty well, giving good background information. It is a great lead in. Starting with a rescue and ending in a decision and plenty of action along the way.
Profile Image for Nathan.
19 reviews
January 14, 2023
Great short story in the universe. Having just finished the series it was a nice little continuation.
197 reviews1 follower
July 28, 2022
Teen's family is murdered. She is taken. Her rescuers should have their own series. They were great. Story happens in a time before technology. I found out they do have a series, at least one does. The blurb for the first book in the “Emaneska” series talks about Farden.

I wrote the above before this book was showing. The anthology where I had originally read the story did not mention a series.
Profile Image for Alan Behan.
583 reviews9 followers
July 14, 2021
A short story that bridges the gap between the two Emaneska series, old and new characters to relish and set you up for what's to come from the Forever King, awesome little tale and it's definitely No Fairytale....😁💙
Profile Image for Victor.
76 reviews4 followers
April 14, 2020
A great addition to the Emaneska series, giving us a quick update on what has happened since the end of the final book and a taste and what's possibly to come after...
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.