Start by marking “A Single Thread (Cobbled Court Quilts, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Single Thread (Cobbled Court Quilts, #1)

A Single Thread

(Cobbled Court Quilts #1)

Marie Bostwick weaves the unforgettable story of four very different women whose paths cross, changing their lives forever.

It's a long way from Fort Worth, Texas, to New Bern, Connecticut, yet it only takes a day in the charming Yankee town to make Evelyn Dixon realize she's found her new home. The abrupt end of her marriage was Evelyn's wake-up call to get busy chasing he

Published November 1st 2008 by Kensington

Start your review of A Single Thread (Cobbled Court Quilts, #1)
GoldenjoyBazyll
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jennifer/ Barbara
Shelves: fiction, favorites
"I always tell students that quilts are made up of straight lines, but that isn't true. Quilts are made of broken lines, just like life. Over and over again, we try and walk a straight path but run into dead ends, sharp corners and uneven ground that cuts us off and forces us to change direction. Sometimes it's painful, other times joyful. But it isn't until you take a moment to stand still, step off the line, and back away that you finally see the truth. Those unexpected turns and startling abo ...more
Jackie
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Having read a few other reviews, I'll just chip in my "two cents worth". I enjoyed this book. I agree that it isn't full of anything really new. But: I did not feel manipulated. I enjoyed the characters. I mostly liked the dialogue. And I just plain enjoyed the reading of this book.

One particular thing that jumped out at me: the absence of the foul language that so permeates books today. It is possible to write something that most people enjoy without resorting to such unpleasantness, this book
Kathleen
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Yet another book about strong women, struggling women, rallying women, blah blah blah. And guess what! Happy endings for everyone - all neatly tied up in a bow. Everyone falls in love, resolves their issues, gets healthy and lives happily ever after helping the less fortunate and kicking the bad guy to the curb. Reminded me way to much of Blossom Street, which was worse in terms of prose, but very parallel in storyline.
This one was very predicable, characters luke warm in the likeable department
Katrina Burchett
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Newly divorced Evelyn Dixon needed a change. She drove from Forth Worth, TX to the town of New Bern, CT, happened upon an old run down shop for rent and realized that she’d found a new home; a place to make her dream of owning a quilt shop a reality. She loved quilting and she was determined to make this new business work even though people told her it wouldn’t last.
Abigail Burgess Wynne, the wealthiest woman in New Bern, had many acquaintances but her attorney, Franklin, was her only friend. He
Kathryn
I enjoyed this story of friendship and quilting. It does have a serious health issue that is linked to a couple of the characters which was moving. The story of how they all come together in support makes for good reading and the end result will take us on to more books.
Jeanne
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Evelyn's marriage falls apart and on a whim she drives from her home in Texas to New Bern, CT to see the fall foliage. While there she finds a vacant storefront and decides to open up a quilt shop. On the eve of a Quilt Pink event for breast cancer Evelyn is diagnosed and wonders where her life is going now. The story is told from Evelyn's perspective and Abigail's. Abigail is an older woman who is a philanthropist in town and knows all the right people. I liked Evelyn, Abigail not so much. She ...more
Cathy Daniel
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Omg BEST BOOK EVER! I loved these characters and am literally mourning the fact they aren't real lol. I cried, laughed, got mad and squealed over it! I'm so happy this is the first of 6? Books in this series! MUST READ FOR ALL
Bonnie
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a gentle, wonderful story about the miracles of friendship and is testament to the saying that "when one door closes, another one opens". This happens for Evelyn, the main character in A Single Thread. Evelyn's husband of close to thirty years surprises her one day with the announcement that he wants a divorce. This changes the course of Evelyn's future and she ends up moving from Texas to a small town in Connecticut. Evelyn has always had a dream to open a quilt shop and she is able to ...more
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the first contemporary novel Marie has written. Her previous novels were historical fiction based around wartime which I personally found myself enthralled in. She is one of the most gifted writer I have come across in recent years.

This one is written well and features a group of women who come together through quilting, not an original concept as there are countless others but Marie pulled
these women together well. Each quilter has her own story and cross to bear, also not unique but I
Sherri Thacker
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I loved it! Can't wait to real all the other books by this author.
Madison Warner Fairbanks
A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick

After divorce, Evelyn moves cross country and opens a Quilting store. On the day of a planned event to support breast cancer, she reveals that she herself has breast cancer. Soon new deep friendships are formed and we learn about the lives of the other women as Evelyn deals with the disease.

A beautiful and moving romance. The highs and lows of cancer, friendships, family and love. And the hidden and bonding connections of a quilting circle.
Absolutely lovely.

I l
Anna
Evelyn has recently divorced and is unsure of her future. A spur of the moment decision leads Evelyn to New Bern intending to enjoy the fall colors and have time alone to contemplate her life. There she discovers an old shop, long abandoned, that she envisions as the quilt shop she has often dreamed of opening.
Abigail is the town benefactor, well liked, but holds people at a distance. When circumstances force her to take in her long estranged niece, Liza, she and Liza conflict from the start. L
Vivian
Mar 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
I couldn't wait to start this one, it got such great reviews from critics and readers alike. Evelyn Dixon has always dreamed about opening up a quilt shop. After her divorce, she relocates from Texas to New Bern, Conn. and after dealing with several issues connected to the old building she purchased for her shop and apartment, Evelyn's doors finally open. Here she forms friendships with several women with stories of their own.

I wish that I could say that I loved this book, but I couldn't even fi
Kelly Roll
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I normally dislike the type of books wherein everyone rallys around a person in need and that person in need soldiers bravely on.
I also found the writig in the book a little akward and the ending predictible.
However, having said that this book also drew me in in spite of my dislikes. There was something appealing about Abigal Burgess and the relationship with her niece as well as the depections of individuals coming together as a community.
Brenda
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I really enjoyed this book. It was a well-written, heartwarming story about some strangers with different backgrounds that become good friends after meeting at a breast cancer fundraiser (Quilt Pink) held in the shop of one of the women. The chapters are told in first person from the perspective of the different women which you would think would bug me, but it didn't. :-) Maybe it was because I could see part of myself in most of the characters.
Marsha
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The characters of this book are so well developed. You can almost see the people as they walk through the cobblestone streets of New Bern, CT. After reading this tome, I better understood the specific challenges of fighting breast cancer. I'm looking forward to Bostwick's next novel coming out May 2009.
 Barb Bailey
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were very well developed. When I finished the book I wished I could take a short trip to New Bern CT and visit the Cobbled Quilt shop and meet these friends and take a class ! This book is about so many things, changes in our lives, hope, endurance , encouragement and the importance of friendship. I will be reading more from this author.
Vickie
I enjoyed A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick. It was a cute story friendship, quilting, and family. Bostwick does tackle a serious health issue and does so in a graceful but honest manner. I liked learning more about quilting: I have neither the vision nor the talent to attempt any craft of this manner. I also liked the small inclusion of Mary Dell Templeton from a previous Bostwick book. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Virginia Pillars
I began this series of books with book number two, so I read this introductory book in order to get the details of the backstory that Marie Bostwick referred to during A Thread of Truth. I enjoyed it. I wish I had read it first, but it didn't stop my interest in the book. I learned things about each character that I didn't know. I just didn't have many surprises and I like it when an author takes a twist with the story and I shake my head as if to say, "I didn't see that one coming."
JayeL
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, second-reading, 2013
Ronna
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how I've managed to miss Marie Bostwick's books!!  Now that I've read the first book in her quilt shop series, I've become a huge fan.  The power of community, friendship, and courage is superbly exemplified in this story about Evelyn and her newfound life and friendships.

After a painful divorce, Evelyn left Texas and moved to Connecticut , where she gave all her funds and energy to try living her dream life.  Having her own quilt shop has been a dream she put on hold after becomi
Audrey
May 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is some of the wort female-driven crap I've ever read. It's filled with insipidly bad dialogue, gag-worthy contrived plotlines, and eye-rollingly predictable characters. She tries to put together this clunky piece of garbage by using cheap manipulative female drama elements, like death, divorce, adultery, quilting (by far the worst metaphor I've ever seen used in a book) and breast cancer. One gets the impression she stole all the material off of some Lifetime: Television for Women movie fr ...more
Stefanie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
As I've written before, I'm a big fan of books where multiple characters meet and come together through a common activity. I liked how this story realistically represents how real life challenges can happen to the best of people. Everyone has a story. No matter how old a person gets, one can rise from the ashes, can change, or even find love. I love crafters' sense of community. When the going gets tough, these hobbyists band together for a cause and represent! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this ...more
Violet
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this. It started out slow, but about midway through it got really compelling. It does have some of the traits I generally dislike in women's fiction (some predictable plot lines, although there were some nice twists in this one, and all-to-convenient solutions. Where in real life can I find a rich fairy godmother?) but overall, it was very entertaining and heartwarming.
Ret Yeager
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a fast paced thriller, this is not the book for you. The author does a great job of character development and interaction. Quilting plays a part in this story but the way the most unlikely of people become friends is the crux of the plot. Great examples of "walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me".
Michele
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cling to your friends and be a friend to others. The need for friendship is the single thread that we all have running through us."
Maria
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book about quilters, with life lessons being compared to quilt patterns, with patches of beauty and pain, life's struggles and despairs, etc. There were common themes running through the story: breast cancer, betrayal, forgiveness -- and all bound together and mended by the single thread of friendship.

I thought it was kind of long, and there were a few things that were thrown in for seemingly no reason except that the author thought, "hey! This will make another quilt square
Casey G
3.5 stars. This was a cute, predictable, quick read that was chosen for my church book club. The characters were endearing in this simple plot that focuses on the value of friendship among women. I never would have picked up this book if not for the Good Shepard book club, and I am not sure I would recommend it to friends, but it kept me entertained for a couple weeks :)
Sandra
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read with interesting characters and independent women who help each other! I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Barbara Powell
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute story about a woman who’s husband leaves her so she starts over in a new town and makes anew and better life for herself even though she gets breast cancer. Will for sure read the rest of the series.
Fabiblio: On To the Next 1 1 May 30, 2020 05:24AM
Fabiblio: Buying Fabric 2 1 May 04, 2020 10:19AM

• The Winding Ways Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #12)
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
  • The Giving Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #20)
  • Sonoma Rose (Elm Creek Quilts, #19)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
  • The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1)
  • The Quilter's Kitchen (Elm Creek Quilts, #13)
  • A Quilter's Holiday (Elm Creek Quilts, #15)
  • Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
  • Knot In My Backyard (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • Sunrise On Cedar Key
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Tall Poppies
  • The Wedding Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts #18)
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • The Master Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #6)
  • The Christmas Quilt / The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8 & 11)
Marie Bostwick is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of uplifting historical and contemporary fiction. She lives in the state of Oregon and travels frequently to sign books, speak to reading groups, and meet her readers. Keep up with Marie and her lifestyle blog at @fiercebeyond50.

Cobbled Court Quilts (6 books)
  • A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Court Quilts, #2)
  • A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Court Quilts, #3)
  • Threading the Needle (Cobbled Court Quilts, #4)
  • Ties That Bind (Cobbled Court Quilts, #5)
  • Apart at the Seams (Cobbled Court Quilts, #6)

News & Interviews