Start by marking “Stop Calling Me Beautiful: Finding Soul-Deep Strength in a Skin-Deep World” as Want to Read:

Stop Calling Me Beautiful: Finding Soul-Deep Strength in a Skin-Deep World

"If you’re tired of surface-level teaching and shallow faith, this book will ignite a fire in your soul for a deeper walk with Jesus and draw you into the depths of the Word.”
——Gretchen Saffles, founder of Well-Watered Women

Why We Need Jesus More Than Compliments

"You're a beautiful daughter of the Most High King." And it's true. But it's not the whole truth. The beauty
Published February 18th 2020 by Harvest House Publishers

Win a Copy of This Book

• Stop Calling Me Beautiful by Phylicia  Masonheimer
    Release date: Feb 18, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win a FREE copy of Stop Calling Me Beautiful by Phylicia Masonheimer!

"You're a beautiful daughter of the Most High King." And

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 30 copies available, 1473 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 14 - Mar 13, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Stop Calling Me Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Calling Me Beautiful

Start your review of Stop Calling Me Beautiful: Finding Soul-Deep Strength in a Skin-Deep World
    Becky
    First sentence: I attended my first Bible study when I was 16 years old. I came into the house clutching my copy of Beth Moore’s Believing God and spent the next sixteen weeknights glued to my pastor’s TV screen.

I have a confession to make. I may do a decent job of not judging a book by its cover. Most of the time. But. When it comes to christian books--especially nonfiction books--I tend to judge a book by its publisher. Stop Calling Me Beautiful is published by Harvest House. Yet the
    Sarah Marie
    5 stars. I loved this. This book isn't out yet and I've been hyping it up to everyone. Review to come! (Yes, I even pre-ordered my own copy.)
    Lisa Jacobson
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Stop Calling Me Beautiful is a strong, clear call for Christian women who long for a deeper, richer life and yet find themselves caught up in a feel-good, self-help, image-obsessed culture. So for those of you who sense something is missing -- and want to be so much more than beautiful -- get ready to powerfully experience the thriving, transforming faith God intends for you. I highly recommend Phylicia's breakout message for today's Christian woman.
    Aminata Coote
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
    I love the concept behind this book. It's one I first heard from Jen Wilkins and one I support wholeheartedly: let's offer more than just "milk" theology to women who are able to handle solid food.

Now maybe I used a more stringent statement standard while reviewing this book because of the author's claim that too many books for women are really just watered-down sermons, but I really wanted more.

In many ways this book felt like a series of disconnected ideas that were kind of smushed together
    Danalli Calhoun
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    I received this book via Netgalley.

I found this book interesting, with some really good points. There were also some wonderful ideas that I look forward to adding into my bible study. However, I think a lot of the ideas in this book I've read in other books. There was also a lot of information about what not to do, but I wanted more of what is the best way to bible study and practice it in life.
    Mikayla Upcott
    Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is the encouragement that Christian women of the 21st century truly, desperately need.
    Michelle Kidwell
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Stop Calling Me Beautiful
    Finding Soul-Deep Strength in a Skin-Deep World by Phylicia Masonheimer
    [Harvest House

[Christian , [Religion & Spirituality]

Pub Date 18 Feb 2020

I am reviewing a copy of Stop Calling Me Beautiful through Harvest House Publishers and Netgalley:

We as Christian women are beautiful in the eyes of the Lord, but that is not the most important thing the fact that we are Children of God and that he loves us is far more important.

“Being told we’re beautiful in God’s eyes is
    Brianna
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    This book was ... honestly, amazing. I have followed Phylicia for a couple years now, and have looked forward to her blog posts, and her insight on subjects that not a lot of Christians talk about. She is not your normal lady, with beautiful, long posts that somehow manage to tie God in at the end in order to be labeled a 'Christian post'. That's not her, and I love her for that. She's controversial at times, has a backstory that I identify with, and she stays home with her kids.

So naturally,
    Brittany
    Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Out of the nine current reads I have going on I managed to fly through this one in the matter of a few mornings.

Phylicia answered to the wanting echoes between each pink fluff Christian women’s book and delivered the tools to help you prepare a feast.

A key difference in her message both on Instagram and her book is that she doesn’t tell you what to think. She won’t give you a hundred resources and claim those will all change your life. In a world where planners and checklists are the ultimate
    Cyndee Ownbey
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I've followed Phyilica for years and was excited to hear she was releasing a book based on her viral blog post. As a mentor for women's ministry leaders, I can say with authority that Phylicia's experience with pink, fluffy women's ministry is all too common, but thankfully changing. This book goes far beyond the surface level problems with women's ministry and today's Christian culture and dives deep into the real issues. Phylicia is not afraid to tackle the struggles women face - legalism, ...more
    Meredith
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Having attended a Christian university where I studied Women’s Ministry, I was in a classroom setting where every class began with “turn to tour neighbor and tell them they are a beautiful creation of God!” Oh how I despised that. So much of what was taught in my undergrad women’s ministry courses was centered around the role of a woman and her unique identity as being marvelously made by God. This focus frustrated me as a student and reading this book by Phylicia has been like someone took all ...more
    Amanda
    Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    The premise of the book, Stop Calling Me Beautiful, is that we as women need to hear more than simply the message that we are beautiful and have worth when we gather for Bible studies and conferences. We need more than the shallow beauty message because that message does not bring us to know God Himself, does not go to the root of our needs and issues, and cannot bring lasting freedom and victory.

Women need more than pretty framed pictures of Bible verses and reminders that we are beautiful.
    Rachel Moss
    Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    “The “beautiful daughter of God” message is not untrue. In Christ, we are indeed beautiful. We were also created in the image of God and are part of His kingdom work. These are beautiful truths. But the beauty of God’s people is not the point of the gospel. The goal of the gospel is to unite us in relationship with our holy, loving God, and to invite others to have that relationship through our witness in this world.”
    Quote from Stop Calling Me Beautiful

Stop Calling Me Beautiful is a message that
    Tammy L
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Stop Calling Me Beautiful is a powerfully written reminder that Christian women need more than just "milk" in order to grow in their faith; they require 'solid food'. Masonheimer convincingly argues that women are taught the less important truth-that they are beautiful-without being taught the fundamental truths about Christ. As a result, women are leading empty lives attempting to earn their way to heaven, overcome anxiety, or bear the burden of sexual sin without understanding the basics of ...more
    Angel Chua
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Women have soul-deep struggles that a shallow "You're beautiful" message cannot heal. This is THE book all women should read. I can sense hunger from this book - a hunger to be told not just the truth, but deep, important, life-saving truths.

I recommend this book to the woman who wants to know what she believes and would love to discover these truths for herself. This is not the kind of book you will have to depend on, but this is that book that will lead you to read the Book of all books.

And I
    Becky
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I'm so happy to finally be reading a book that is encouraging women to delve deeper into scripture and theology. I am tired of messages telling me I am a 'beautiful daughter of God' and expecting me to be spiritually fulfilled by this. Women need to have a deep, meaningful relationship with Christ and this is done through engaging with theology. I wholeheartedly recommend this to any woman who is wanting to go deeper in her faith and is feeling let down by the current messages the church is ...more
    Traci Rhoades
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    A great overview of what a life growing in Christ should look like. The author says enough with shallow faith (especially targeted at women). Looking at a variety of areas in life, readers will see how Jesus alone can help us live a more godly life, where our own efforts fail again and again.
    Brooke
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Loved this book!! Exactly what women need to be encouraged away from fluffy messages to the souls truths of the Bible.
    MayorEmma
    Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Earc from netgalley.

I did not really care for this book, it seemed a lot like other books out there, but it was okay.
    Leah
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my (always) honest review.

"Thousands are self-helping their way through life, reading the same book—just a different author—longing to be told they’re beautiful, but never really believing God can change the parts of them that they know need to be redeemed."

Just WOW. I've been following Phylicia on Instagram and her blog for years, and am so pleased that she has written this book. Perfect for new and seasoned believers alike to get a straight and
    Karla Cook
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I found Stop Calling Me Beautiful by Phylicia Masonheimer to be so much more encouraging... and yes, challenging... than the typical "women's ministry" message we often hear about how we are "daughters of the King" (i.e. princesses) and just so beautiful. That's not untrue, but there is so much more available to us than just being told how entitled we are as royalty... or something like that.

In the New Testament story of the woman at the well, the Samaritan woman got far more than she ever
    Jen Newendyke
    Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Phylicia is one of my favorite people to follow on Instagram, so I was so excited to read her book! If you're not following her on Instagram, go do that now - she is such a needed voice in today's world, teaching on discernment, how to study God's Word, the importance of community, and more.

In Stop Calling Me Beautiful, Phylicia uses the story of the woman at the well to encourage us to go deeper in our faith and live as overcomers in Christ. Her writing style is convicting, practical, and full
    Olivia Bundrick

• Here To Stay
    • When to Walk Away: Finding Freedom from Toxic People
    • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
    • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
    • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
    • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
    • Chosen People (Chosen People #1)
    • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
    • Jesus Over Everything: Uncomplicating the Daily Struggle to Put Jesus First
    • NOS4A2
    • Joyland
    • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
    • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
    • Randomize