Start by marking “The Girl in the Grave (Beth Adams, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl in the Grave (Beth Adams, #1)

The Girl in the Grave

(Beth Adams #1)

When the body of a teenage runaway is found hidden inside someone else’s grave in a small-town cemetery in The Lake District, an urgent call is made to Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams. Still traumatised by a recent attempt on her own life, one look at the beautiful girl’s broken body is enough to bring Beth out of hiding for the first time since her attack. She’s the only ...more
Published July 16th 2019 by Bookouture (first published July 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in the Grave

Start your review of The Girl in the Grave (Beth Adams, #1)
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: ....all of them were standing in a circle staring down into the dark, sodden grave. There, poking through the soil, a pair of mottled green and blue legs were clearly visible, the remains of a torn pair of tights still clinging to parts of them. Higher up, a hand with green painted fingernails and half a face were also partially exposed; one milky, glazed eye with long eyelashes stared up at the sky.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When the body of a teenage runaway is found hidden inside someone else’
Brenda
It all began when the exhumation revealed a body under the coffin – the girl in the grave had been there for the weeks since the funeral. Who was it? And how did she get there?

Dr Beth Adams, forensic pathologist to the police of Cumbria in the Lake District was called in. Her good friend Detective Josh Walker was on the scene and with the constant rain, the tent covered the grave site, which was a crime scene. Beth herself had suffered a brutal attack seven years prior and was still coming to te
Monika Sadowski
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s a first book in the series about forensic pathologist Beth Adams. I will definitely read more about her. Interesting, fast paced criminal thriller. “The girl in the grave” starts with discovering of a young girl body under the coffin of different dead woman which was mysteriously requested to be exhumed. Did the killer want the police to find the girl in the grave? More clues and unpredictable situations to come.

Thank you to Net Galley and Bookouture for a free copy in exchange for an hone
Mandy White
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great start to a new series from Helen Phifer. The Girl in the Grave is a really fast paced police procedural, but the main character Beth Adams is a forensic pathologist so we get the story from a different angle. Beth is a threat character, broken and damaged but starting to get her life back after being assaulted in her own home. Her friendship with Detective Josh Walker is nice. I am looking forward to learning more about Beth and the people around her.

This book starts with the victi
Shalini
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forensic pathology, a branch of medicine which completely fascinates me. In my alternate lifetime, I hope to become one. This entire story was based on the findings of forensic pathologist Dr Beth Adams.

A dead girl found beneath the coffin of an exhumed body was the start of the investigation which followed the convoluted roads of the past and present where Beth found herself to be in the eye of the storm. But nobody could be safe in the midst of the rampaging winds, and Beth was soon embroiled
Linda Strong
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beth Adams is a Forensic Pathologist called out when the body of a teenage girl is found hidden inside someone else's grave.

Traumatized by an attempt on her life several years ago, she has been in hiding in fear behind secure gates and a panic room. Beth decides its time to take back her life, but as she exposes where she is, she's dragged back into her attacker's line of fire once more.

Only Detective Josh Walker knows what this case is causing her. Walker is having his own problems while the c
Pat
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Ankita Singh
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
The Girl In The Grave reminded me just why I love Psychological Thrillers so much. There wasn't a dull moment in the book and I breezed through it on the tips of my toes.

I loved how fast paced it was, and yet how it managed to capture the essence of each character. I couldn't stop reading the book and only put it down to catch a few hours of sleep before I was back at it.

Beth Adams was an intriguing character and probably one of my favourites along with DS Joshua. Both of them made an awesome p
Denise
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The body of a young woman is found underneath the coffin of another deceased person during an exhumation. The girl had been dead for weeks and was never reported as missing. Dr. Beth Adams, a forensic pathologist (former A&E physician) is called to do the postmortem. Who used this particular grave as a dumping ground and why? Then, another young woman goes missing and is presumed to be in danger. The police frantically search for clues of where she could have been taken before time runs out and ...more
Noriko
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I must begin this review with stating I’m still in two minds about this book.
One part of me thinks this is a well-plotted, gripping mystery/thriller but another part of me couldn’t help but feel a bit underwhelmed. To be honest, I haven’t been able to make my mind up on this one.

I initially thought this book is rather slow-developing and a teeny bit underwhelming. The introductory part - especially Prologue - is really gripping laden with creepiness yet the ensuing development started to stunt
Jennie
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
During an average grave exhumation, a body is found under the casket. Why is the body there? Who put her there? That's how the story starts. Digging for clues of who this girl is, and who put her there. Dr. Beth Adams is responsible for completing the autopsy, while Josh is the detective in charge of finding out who placed the body in the grave. Then Annie goes missing. The case takes on a whole new level to beat the clock and find Annie before it's too late.

4 stars for this read. Fast paced, w
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Beth Adams is a forensic pathologist and has a new case that is disturbing from the very outset. There is a body to be exhumed as there is a case that presented more questions. While the grave site staff are undertaking the task, they are shocked to find another body underneath the casket.

Beth dives right into the case, but is dealing with the aftermath of an attack she experienced in her home previously. While on the current case, she returns home one night only to discover
Dawn
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr Beth Adams is called to an exhumation where another body has been found in the grave. DS Josh Walker is in a loveless marriage and harbours feelings for Beth. She is recovering from at attempt in her life and it seems that this new killer wants Beth involved. How far will he go? Oh wow! This is such a gripping read, I was hooked from the first page. Helen has a way to entice the reader and blast them with drama and such a thrilling read.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc
Kat Dietrich

The Girl in the Grave by Helen Phifer is the first in the Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

Dr. Elizabeth (Beth) Adams is called when the body of a young woman is found in the same grave as an elderly woman who they were exhuming.  Unsure i
Alisa
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
The Girl in the Grave is a thriller novel, the first in the Beth Adams series, following a forensic pathologist named Beth Adams.
During an exhumation the body of a young girl was found under the coffin,which brings a lot of questions: Why was the exhumation ordered in the first place? Is it a coincidence that the girl's body was in a grave about to be exhumed? Or is it part of a plan conducted by a very sick and dangerous individual?
I think my favorite part of this book was Beth's character
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for this arc.

I have read the first three books of the Lucy Harwin series by this same author and enjoyed them all very much.

But sadly I was not nearly as impressed with the Beth Adams or Josh Walker characters. The story line felt predictable and stale ("Been there. Done that"). Beth, in particular, felt unreal. She's apparently still traumatized by an attempt on her life seven years ago and yet she goes off to investigate the first and second victim's lives of
Elaine Tomasso
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Girl in the Grave, the first novel to feature forensic pathologist Beth Adams, set in the Lake District.

When a young woman’s body is found in a recently exhumed grave DS Josh Walker calls in reclusive forensic pathologist Beth Adams to assist. She finds the case upsetting and determines to some of her own sleuthing but she is distracted by “presents” left for her at her well protected home.

I enjoyed The Girl in the Grave w
Maranda
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DAISY on the COVER does not mean that this is a bright, cute, and cozy book. It is although a very intense crime drama with many twists and turns that challenge Beth Adams - - the Forensic Pathologist. LOOK FORWARD TO This Series Continuing. Beth's home life is that of fear, security gates, and constant anxious episodes. But... when a teen girls body is located under an exhumed coffin; Beth cannot let this one stay buried without answers. Phifer has a host of characters that keep the reader flip ...more
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book is a brilliant start to a new series. Helen does a great job in getting the reader’s attention right from the start with an opening that is so chilling that you know that you are going to be in for a wild ride, and what a ride it is!

This is a well plotted and researched crime thriller that had me hooked right from the get go until the final page. Helen brings the story to life in the picturesque Lake District which she describes in perfect detail that you feel that you are also there.
Julie Lacey
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start to a new series.
Beth Adams is still recovering from being attacked in her home and now works as a pathologist.
She’s good friends with Josh, a local detective and is called out to a particularly troubling crime scene.
The body of a young woman has been found in the grave of a woman whose body was being exhumed.
No-one can get to the bottom of why the exhumation was requested and Josh suspects it was orchestrated by the killer of the young woman.
Soon another young woman is
Stina
Dr Beth Adams is a forensic pathologist with a past. She was once a doctor in a busy Accident and Emergency Department but a tragic event in her life caused her to rethink her life and she changed career paths to become a pathologist. Throughout the book, pieces of Beth's past are gradually revealed as it becomes entwined with the present and the latest case she'd been tasked to work on.

It began when a exhumation under somewhat odd circumstances revealed a body under the coffin. The girl in the
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
Well if you’re looking for a blooming good crime thriller then don’t look any further, The Girl in the Grave is just that and it’s a fantastic start to a new series.
When the body of a young girl is found dead under a coffin in a grave that’s being exhumed, Detective Josh Walker and Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams find themselves in a race against time to catch a Killer and what follows is a fast-paced story that had me totally and utterly gripped.
The Girl in the Grave starts off at a fast pace,
Robyn
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When the body of a teenage girl is found in an exhumed grave, Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams and Detective Josh Walker are determined to find the killer. But, the killer now has Beth in his sights. Can Beth and Josh find him first or will Beth become his final prize?

Wow! I have been searching for such a long long time for a series that rivals that of the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cromwell and I have finally found it! Helen Phifer has captured my attention right from the first page. I als
Monica Mac
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, oh wow!

There is a good reason for the fact that I read this book in one go - Helen Phifer is an incredible author!

Poor Beth has been through the mill, being attacked some years ago but slowly getting her confidence back. She is now a forensic pathologist, working closely with Josh and his team in the police force. Josh happened to come to her rescue when she was attacked, and they have been good friends ever since but now there are a series of murders which are baffling all and sundry who
Beth
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. This was my introduction to Helen Phifer and it did not disappoint. I need to get my hands on her other series asap. The girl in the grave is the first instalment of a new series featuring Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams as the lead and I cannot wait to see where it goes.

This book is written well with well fleshed out characters. I loved Beth and Josh and their friendship was beautiful and so nice to read. Their chemistry really added to the plot. With regard to t
Bridget
What an absolutely wonderful beginning to a brand new series! I loved Beth. Adams - she was so strong. even though she was broken. Now a Forensic Pathologist, though previously an A & E Doctor, she experienced a horrific attack yet still managed to get on with her life. I am very keen to read other cases she works on.

Helen Phifer is a new author for me, but I will definitely follow this series. She gave me characters that I admired and that I would wish to read more about. I loved her writing st
Susan
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Girl in the Grave is a promising start to the Beth Adams series. Beth is a Forensic Pathologist who has had a traumatic event in her past that she’s trying to get over. She’s trying to help Detective Josh Walker solve a horrific murder. I found it to be a little slow in the beginning. But when it picked up, I didn’t want to put it down. I really enjoyed Beth gaining her confidence through the book. Looking forward to learning more about these characters.

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an hone
Dawn Lawrence (Australian_Crime_Junkie)
The Girl in The Grave by Helen Phifer is a great first book in a new series featuring Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams and DS Josh Walker.

I'm a massive Helen Phifer fan so I was super excited to read this one, thanks to NetGalley and the Publisher Bookouture for the ARC.

A bit of background. Beth used to be an emergency room doctor but after being attacked in her own home she lost all confidence and starting living her life in fear. She pretty much shut herself away from society and retrained as a
Kat
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous start start to a new series featuring forensic pathologist Beth Adams. It starts with a body buried beneath a coffin that is about to be exhumed and from that point the pace just doesn’t let up and as with her previous novels the wonderful Helen Phifer has a knack of drawing you in to a story with characters that are interesting and a good solid plot line that for the life of me I couldn’t work out who the perpetrator was!!
I particularly liked the character of Beth and her strug
Els
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Often crime series put the police in the picture, but this time we have a wonderful collaboration between police and a forensic pathologist, with the doctor on the biggest stage.

I don't like blood at all, but I am very fascinated by everything the CSI does. I would not want to have to watch a PM but I am often stunned by what they can find out with the smallest of evidence.

I also love crime series where the main characters have a history and Beth certainly has and she is not home free yet.

The au
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Her Sister's Bones (Detective Iris Locke, #1)
  • The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)
  • Why She Ran
  • Fear in the Lakes
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)
  • Little Girls Sleeping (Detective Katie Scott, #1)
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • Whisper in the Night (Detectives Kane and Alton #6)
  • Death at Eden's End (A DCI Satterthwaite Mystery #2)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn #6)
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay, #1)
  • Their Silent Graves
  • Break the Silence (Detectives Kane and Alton, #7)
  • Flowers on Her Grave (Detective Katie Scott, #3)
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)

Beth Adams (2 books)
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)