Start by marking “The Girl in the Grave” as Want to Read:
The Girl in the Grave

The Girl in the Grave

(Beth Adams #1)

When the body of a teenage runaway is found hidden inside someone else’s grave in a small-town cemetery in The Lake District, an urgent call is made to Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams. Still traumatised by a recent attempt on her own life, one look at the beautiful girl’s broken body is enough to bring Beth out of hiding for the first time since her attack. She’s the only ...more
Published July 16th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in the Grave

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: ....all of them were standing in a circle staring down into the dark, sodden grave. There, poking through the soil, a pair of mottled green and blue legs were clearly visible, the remains of a torn pair of tights still clinging to parts of them. Higher up, a hand with green painted fingernails and half a face were also partially exposed; one milky, glazed eye with long eyelashes stared up at the sky.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When the body of a teenage runaway is found hidden inside someone else’
Dawn
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr Beth Adams is called to an exhumation where another body has been found in the grave. DS Josh Walker is in a loveless marriage and harbours feelings for Beth. She is recovering from at attempt in her life and it seems that this new killer wants Beth involved. How far will he go? Oh wow! This is such a gripping read, I was hooked from the first page. Helen has a way to entice the reader and blast them with drama and such a thrilling read.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc
Jennie
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
During an average grave exhumation, a body is found under the casket. Why is the body there? Who put her there? That's how the story starts. Digging for clues of who this girl is, and who put her there. Dr. Beth Adams is responsible for completing the autopsy, while Josh is the detective in charge of finding out who placed the body in the grave. Then Annie goes missing. The case takes on a whole new level to beat the clock and find Annie before it's too late.

4 stars for this read. Fast paced, w
Maranda
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DAISY on the COVER does not mean that this is a bright, cute, and cozy book. It is although a very intense crime drama with many twists and turns that challenge Beth Adams - - the Forensic Pathologist. LOOK FORWARD TO This Series Continuing. Beth's home life is that of fear, security gates, and constant anxious episodes. But... when a teen girls body is located under an exhumed coffin; Beth cannot let this one stay buried without answers. Phifer has a host of characters that keep the reader flip ...more
Dawn Lawrence (Bonnies Book Talk)
The Girl in The Grave by Helen Phifer is a great first book in a new series featuring Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams and DS Josh Walker.

I'm a massive Helen Phifer fan so I was super excited to read this one, thanks to NetGalley and the Publisher Bookouture for the ARC.

A bit of background. Beth used to be an emergency room doctor but after being attacked in her own home she lost all confidence and starting living her life in fear. She pretty much shut herself away from society and retrained as a
Kat
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous start start to a new series featuring forensic pathologist Beth Adams. It starts with a body buried beneath a coffin that is about to be exhumed and from that point the pace just doesn’t let up and as with her previous novels the wonderful Helen Phifer has a knack of drawing you in to a story with characters that are interesting and a good solid plot line that for the life of me I couldn’t work out who the perpetrator was!!
I particularly liked the character of Beth and her strug
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book is a brilliant start to a new series. Helen does a great job in getting the reader’s attention right from the start with an opening that is so chilling that you know that you are going to be in for a wild ride, and what a ride it is!

This is a well plotted and researched crime thriller that had me hooked right from the get go until the final page. Helen brings the story to life in the picturesque Lake District which she describes in perfect detail that you feel that you are also there.
Monika Sadowski
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s a first book in the series about forensic pathologist Beth Adams. I will definitely read more about her. Interesting, fast paced criminal thriller. “The girl in the grave” starts with discovering of a young girl body under the coffin of different dead woman which was mysteriously requested to be exhumed. Did the killer want the police to find the girl in the grave? More clues and unpredictable situations to come.

Thank you to Net Galley and Bookouture for a free copy in exchange for an hone
Stina
Dr Beth Adams is a forensic pathologist with a past. She was once a doctor in a busy Accident and Emergency Department but a tragic event in her life caused her to rethink her life and she changed career paths to become a pathologist. Throughout the book, pieces of Beth's past are gradually revealed as it becomes entwined with the present and the latest case she'd been tasked to work on.

It began when a exhumation under somewhat odd circumstances revealed a body under the coffin. The girl in the
Mandie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Beth Adams series. Beth is a forensic pathologist with a past that has left her very wary of strangers and almost OCD about her personal safety. She is close friends with DS Josh Walker and they find themselves investigating the murder of a young girl whose body has been found under the coffin of someone else. As another girl goes missing there is now a race to find her before she is killed.
The book certainly opens in a way that will grab the readers interest and t
Robyn
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When the body of a teenage girl is found in an exhumed grave, Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams and Detective Josh Walker are determined to find the killer. But, the killer now has Beth in his sights. Can Beth and Josh find him first or will Beth become his final prize?

Wow! I have been searching for such a long long time for a series that rivals that of the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cromwell and I have finally found it! Helen Phifer has captured my attention right from the first page. I als
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Beth Adams is a forensic pathologist and has a new case that is disturbing from the very outset. There is a body to be exhumed as there is a case that presented more questions. While the grave site staff are undertaking the task, they are shocked to find another body underneath the casket.

Beth dives right into the case, but is dealing with the aftermath of an attack she experienced in her home previously. While on the current case, she returns home one night only to discover
Alisa
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
The Girl in the Grave is a thriller novel, the first in the Beth Adams series, following a forensic pathologist named Beth Adams.
During an exhumation the body of a young girl was found under the coffin,which brings a lot of questions: Why was the exhumation ordered in the first place? Is it a coincidence that the girl's body was in a grave about to be exhumed? Or is it part of a plan conducted by a very sick and dangerous individual?
I think my favorite part of this book was Beth's character
Shalini
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forensic pathology, a branch of medicine which completely fascinates me. In my alternate lifetime, I hope to become one. This entire story was based on the findings of forensic pathologist Dr Beth Adams.

A dead girl found beneath the coffin of an exhumed body was the start of the investigation which followed the convoluted roads of the past and present where Beth found herself to be in the eye of the storm. But nobody could be safe in the midst of the rampaging winds, and Beth was soon embroiled
Elaine Tomasso
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Girl in the Grave, the first novel to feature forensic pathologist Beth Adams, set in the Lake District.

When a young woman’s body is found in a recently exhumed grave DS Josh Walker calls in reclusive forensic pathologist Beth Adams to assist. She finds the case upsetting and determines to some of her own sleuthing but she is distracted by “presents” left for her at her well protected home.

I enjoyed The Girl in the Grave w
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

What an incredible start to a brand new series! I loved the different spin on the storyline as, instead of the events being centred around the police, the spotlight is given to the forensic pathologist, Beth Adams. I don’t know what it is about forensics lately, but I hoover up any books with that topic in. Never in a million years did I think I would come out with that!

Beth Adams may be the professional to have been ca
April A.  Taylor
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A grave exhumed under odd circumstances leads detectives to the body of another woman -- who was buried underneath a coffin. At the same time, a party girl's best friend goes missing. These things are both clearly linked, but can the crime team solve the first murder in time to find the missing woman still alive?

Toss in a pathologist healing from past trauma, a detective in a bad marriage, and a romantic spark between the two main characters and you get The Girl in the Grave. This is a perfectl
Denise
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The body of a young woman is found underneath the coffin of another deceased person during an exhumation. The girl had been dead for weeks and was never reported as missing. Dr. Beth Adams, a forensic pathologist (former A&E physician) is called to do the postmortem. Who used this particular grave as a dumping ground and why? Then, another young woman goes missing and is presumed to be in danger. The police frantically search for clues of where she could have been taken before time runs out ...more
BookwormishMe
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ng-reviews, reviewed
Beth Adams is a forensic pathologist with a past. At one time she was a successful ER doctor, but changed paths to become a pathologist after a tragic event in her life. She’s on the scene of a gruesome find - the body of a young woman in a grave that has recently been exhumed. Josh Walker is the Detective Sergeant assigned to find out what happened to that girl in the grave. Some years ago, DS Walker had been the one to help save Dr. Beth Adams.

The Girl in the Grave is the first in a new series
Vivienne
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Bookouture for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘The Girl in the Grave’ by Helen Phifer in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first in Phifer’s new series of police procedurals featuring Forensic Pathologist Elizabeth (Beth) Adams and Detective Sergeant Josh Walker. While this is the first book I have read of Phifer’s, I can see that she has written a number of police procedurals/crime thrillers since 2013 that have proved popular with readers.

In the opening an exhumation reveals the
Brenda
It all began when the exhumation revealed a body under the coffin – the girl in the grave had been there for the weeks since the funeral. Who was it? And how did she get there?

Dr Beth Adams, forensic pathologist to the police of Cumbria in the Lake District was called in. Her good friend Detective Josh Walker was on the scene and with the constant rain, the tent covered the grave site, which was a crime scene. Beth herself had suffered a brutal attack seven years prior and was still coming to te
Jacqueline Sharp
Wow, what a great read started this late one afternoon read until early hours of the morning then picked it up as soon as I woke up. The opening chapter had me feeling claustrophobic just from reading it, the same again later in the book. Slightly different to have a forensic pathologist as involved in an investigation.

Forensic Pathologist Beth Adams has previously survived attack herself which nearly cost her her life which we learn more of throughout the book. She went on from being a Dr in A
Mistress  #darklings
Ok, most people know by now what a HUGE fan of Helen Phifer I am. And if you don’t, well, you do now.
I’ve followed Helen throughout her career as an author so have had the unique privilege of being able to watch & see how much she’s grown into the author she is today. Which, in my humble opinion, is an awesome one!
I was so pleased when I saw this drop onto my Netgalley shelf. A brand new series to read & follow from one of my favourite writers.
There’s always a danger when creating new
Lel Budge
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During a ‘routine’ exhumation, a body is found buried under the coffin…..Dr Beth Adams is called in as the forensic pathologist and it’s found to be murder…..but who is the young woman ?

When Annie Potts goes missing, they are concerned it could be the same person that’s taken her…..so DS Josh Walker starts the hunt.

In the meantime, someone is watching Beth.

Due to a violent attack in her past, she is taking self defence classes and has upgraded the security in her lakeside home…..still paranoid,
Tracy Wood
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Dr Elizabeth Adams is a frightened and traumatised woman, she is also the forensic pathologist called to a partially completed exhumation when a second body is found beneath the original coffin. With her friend, Detective Josh Walker, she begins to unravel a distressing and complex case while trying to get her own life back on track following a devastating attack on her own life a few years earlier.  Then a second woman goes missing and the case takes on an added urgency as Beth and Josh have to ...more
Lel Budge
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookouture

In the meantime, someone is watching Beth.

Diane
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Girl in the Grave by author Helen Phifer is the first in the Beth Adams series. Elizabeth Adams is a forensic pathologist who is also a survivor of domestic violence. Her live-in boyfriend Robert, who was an orthopedic surgeon is serving time in prison for attempting to murder her. Beth fights her fears each day to become stronger and to try to live a normal life. An order to exhume a body is received for analysis and DS Josh Walker is called in when the body of a young woman is found in the ...more
Lisa Davison
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great first book in a new series. Phifer introduces us to Dr. Beth Adams, a forensic pathologist with a history of being the victim of a violent attempted murder. Beth suffers from anxiety and is extremely cautious about security. She only really trusts one other person, DS Josh Walker, who saved her from her attacker. The opening scene involves an exhumation of a body. However, when they get the casket out of the grave, they discover another body partially covered by the dirt at the b ...more
Mandy White
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great start to a new series from Helen Phifer. The Girl in the Grave is a really fast paced police procedural, but the main character Beth Adams is a forensic pathologist so we get the story from a different angle. Beth is a threat character, broken and damaged but starting to get her life back after being assaulted in her own home. Her friendship with Detective Josh Walker is nice. I am looking forward to learning more about Beth and the people around her.

This book starts with the victi
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Girl in the Grave: (Beth Adams Book 1)
Helen Phifer
2⭐⭐
This book sounded like it was going to be amazing and i had high hopes for it. However after starting this book I had my doubts that i was going to like it. It starts out way too slow for my likeing and kind of boring. Then it started picking up speed and caught my attention more but failed to keep it. It's not the most exciting thriller I’ve ever read and it's not the worst. It was an okay read . I figured out too early on who the killer
« previous 1 3 next »