Start by marking “Teeth” as Want to Read:
Teeth

Teeth

All myths have a kernel of truth. The truth is: vampires are real.

They’ve always been here, but only came out of hiding in the last century. They are not what Hollywood would have you believe. They are not what is written in lore or whispered by the superstitious.

They look and act like humans. They live and love and die like humans. Puberty is just
Hardcover, Deluxe , 253 pages
Published April 2019 by Thunderstorm Books

To ask other readers questions about Teeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teeth

Start your review of Teeth
Char
Lamians. That's what vampires are called now. They have rights just like regular people under the Stoker Treaty, so you'd better get used to it. This is part of the premise of Kelli Owen's TEETH, and it sucked me right in! (See what I did there? Perhaps I should move on...)

As we already know, just because laws are there doesn't mean they'll be followed. We only have to look at the civil rights movement to see that. Once coming of age is reached and the new, Lamian teeth come o
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Writing up my review for Cemetery Dance! Just know, I loved this one.
Bark the Overwrought Keyboard Warrior
“Just like all living things, we are rotting from the inside from the moment we’re born.”

Teeth isn’t a typical vampire book and I’m okay with that because I’ve read a LOT of vampire novels in my reading life and most of them bore me at this point. Those vampires are either sexy whiny monsters or they are ugly whiny monsters and there usually isn’t a helluva lot of room left for anything in-between.

In Teeth, vampirism is treated like a condition because it is one. People a
Frank Errington
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review copy

If the only vampires you have room for in your worldview are of the Bram Stoker's Dracula variety, you might as well stop reading this review right now. I say this because Kelli Owen has done the unthinkable, she has created her own vampire mythos and in so doing erased nearly everything that has come before. But it's OK, it's only a story and a mighty good one at that.

First of all, don't call then vampires, they're lamians. Use of the "v-word" is both ignorant
Emily
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐

This is going to be a mixed review from me. I loved some parts of Teeth, and didn't care for others. This book is different than most other vampire books I've read, but still felt reminiscent of True Blood show / Sookie Stackhouse books (except with a smaller amount of sex).

I feel that the allegory of monsters / creatures being used to represent minorities is a tired trope, and some parts of this book felt exhausting. For example, the direct comparison of using the word "vampire
Scott Kemper
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teeth by Kelli Owen is a fantastic book. Let’s get that out of the way first. If you haven’t read Kelli Owen, fix that now. She is an amazing writer with an incredible voice. Her stories keep you turning the pages until the end, and when they end, you’re angry. You’re not angry because they’re bad. You’re angry because there isn’t more. You want more. You need more. That is the sign of the great writer. This is what Ms. Owen does best. She gets you from the beginning and doesn’t let you go. Teet ...more
Tiffany Anne
The story was fun, definitely a unique take on the vampire story. But I prefer my vamps scary & I like a bit more subtlety.
Amber
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelli Owen’s Teeth has bite!

Ahem, if you’ll excuse the cliché, allow me to get on with the review.

The word vampire is a slur. They prefer the term lamian. They’re a lot like humans, only they go through a change during their teens (as if being a teenager didn’t suck enough!) and their canine teeth fall out, to be replaced by a new set of shiny, sharp fangs… along with an increased life span and the potential for some nifty extra sensory abilities.

But it’s not all r
Madelon
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TEETH is brilliant! Toss out every vampire tale you have ever read, and the V-word along with them. What we have here is a complete rewrite of a millennia-old mythos that is both well-conceived and well executed. The story could not be more timely.

We can all agree that adolescence is a harrowing time upon which we can all look back as something we wouldn't want to experience again. Even those of us who might view that transition from childhood to adulthood through rose-colored glasse
Kals
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took my time absorbing this novel, wanting to make sure I captured every small detail to give it a just review. That being said, here we go.

Kelli’s well-crafted version of vampires is a stellar breath of fresh air. These are not your run of the mill, allergic to garlic and crosses type of night walkers. This “coming of age” story depicts the real struggle of minorities in the form of budding Lamian teenagers.

Without giving spoilers, I will broadly say that there are several elements of horro
Ken Jensen
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelli is one of my favorite authors. The cover blurb didn't leave me that excited for this book though. That was a bad assessment. This is one of my favorite books of hers, I read it over 2 days and it would have been less if I didn't have to work. The characters are great. The story itself is a great take on the myriad of bigots and hate we currently have affecting our society. Don't skip this because you're tired of vampires or Twilight ruined vampires for you.
Dan Myers
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A genre breaking Lamian novel. The characterization in all of Kelli's books is always top notch (yes, even "The Neigborhood")! This book is as much a story about a sign of the times as it is about the lamians (vampires) the author describes. A well thought out story that ends like it could be the beginning of a series?!? Thank you Kelli for signing the book for me at the Scares That Care weekend!!!
Christina Eleanor
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical Vampire story

I was not sure what to expect when I got this book. It is a fresh take on old folklore. Vampires have come out of hiding and struggle to be accepted by society. But someone is sabotaging the public's perception of them. Owen has a vivid imagination and masterfully tells us this new tale. Her descriptors make the reader feel as if we were there in the story seeing events unfold. I have been very impressed with her writing as I read more of Kelli Owen'
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Forget everything you thought you knew about vampires. Excuse me, the politically correct term is lamians. That's right. Vampire is now a derogatory term. Kelli Owens creates an entirely new twist on the vampire mythology. Lamians have an amino acid deficiency. The "change" happens in your teens, because being a teenager isn't tough enough. Canine teeth get loose and fall out, only to be replaced by shiny new ones. Being a lamian also comes with some new abilities. While they are extremely long- ...more
Horror DNA
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steve-pattee
When I first heard author Kelli Owen's announcement for her upcoming Teeth, I was intrigued. She said she had rebuilt the mythos of the vampire from the ground up for this novel and these were bloodsuckers like we've never seen before. On one hand, I had reservations. How many times have we heard this (I'm looking at you, zombie genre) only to be disappointed? On the other, this is Kelli Owen talking. Knowing what she's capable of from the (not enough) books I've read from her, I gave her the benefit of the ...more
Thomas Joyce
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Teeth, Owen has created a world where vampires (Lamians) have always existed, but that has only been common knowledge for about fifty years, the condition rooted not in superstition and magic, but genetics. When children reach puberty, some lose their canines and have slightly longer, sharper, teeth grow in in their place. Given the tumultuous relationship lamians have with humans, this can be a great source of stress for the children, some of whom have been raised by bigoted and fearful pare ...more
Bob
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable novel taking place in a time where vampires, or Lamians, have been begrudgingly accepted into society. Several high schoolers have to deal with prejudice and bullying when it is evident that they are not human. Add to this drama is the fact that there is a serial killer running rampant and the speculation is that it may be a Lamian. Highly recommended!
Lisa Lee
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teeth by Kelli Owen is a masterwork addition to the horror subgenre of vampirism. The story is woven from two interconnected plots that illustrate timelessly relevant sociological and psychological issues and horrors. Owen’s expert characterization and storytelling will enthrall you as her story bleeds your heart and mind.

Before I continue, I feel the need to point out, with all due respect to other reviewers, that bigotry and prejudice are NOT the only issues this novel illustrates.
Cris Morris
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer is on the loose, but is the killer a lamian, the newly public race of vampires, or is it a human pretending to be lamian? Kelli Owen blends myth, modern science, and police procedural with teen angst, racism, and bigotry to create a unique blend that works well on every level. This is my first book by Kelli, but it will not be my last. Two enthusiastic thumbs up. I loved this book.
Steve
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book follows a variety of characters, both human and lamian, as they do their day-to-day activities. The society of Owen's universe in Teeth is almost a mirror image of the United States right now. The vampires (lamians) are a minority, and there is a political divide on how to treat them. On one side, you have a group demanding they be monitored because they are dangerous, where on the other you have people saying lamians deserve equality. This is all so very familiar.

To add to
Apr 03, 2019
Paula
Sep 24, 2018

• Welcome to the Show
  • The Resurrectionists (Salem Hawley, #1)
  • A Deep Horror That Was Very Nearly Awe
  • Will Haunt You
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • Blanky
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • Hug Chickenpenny: The Panegyric of an Anomalous Child
  • Behind the Door (Kathy Ryan, #2)
  • The House by the Cemetery
  • Hark! the Herald Angels Scream: An Anthology
  • Skullface Boy
  • The Toll
  • Where Stars Won't Shine
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • We Sold Our Souls
  • The Dark Game
The author of more than a dozen books—my fiction spans the genres from thriller and psychological horror, to an occasional bloodbath, and the even rarer happy ending.

I was an editor and reviewer for over a decade, and have attended countless writing conventions, participated on dozens of panels, and spoken at the CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA regarding both my writing and the field in general.