Start by marking “Don't Look Down” as Want to Read:

(Shadows of New York #2)

From the Amazon Charts bestselling author of One Small Sacrifice, a gripping mystery about a sinister murder that everyone wants to stay buried—except one dogged NYPD detective.

Jo Greaver is a model of success. Young and ambitious, she’s built a thriving beauty business from nothing. But she has secrets she’ll do anything to keep buried. When her blackmailer offers to meet
Published February 11th 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look Down

Start your review of Don't Look Down
Kemper
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-0, arc, 2020, crime-mystery
Jo Greaver is a successful businesswoman, but she’s being extorted by someone who has discovered her old secrets, and she goes to the meeting with a bag of cash and a pistol. One gunfight later and there’s a body on the floor of an apartment, and an injured Jo is on the run. For NYPD detectives Sheryn Sterling and Rafael Mendoza, this should simply be a matter of tracking down Jo, but there’s much more to this blackmail scheme than it would seem at first

This is my second Hillary Davidson novel,
Dave
The experts all say that the worst thing you can do is pay 💰 off a blackmailer. They’ll just keep coming back again and again, bleeding you for an arm, a leg, a kidney, your soul. You’ll never get rid of this pigeon. But, then again, there are things far worse than paying off a blackmailer. There are countless ways the payoff can go sour. This crime story explores one of those ways.

It is the second book in the series, easy to read and with wide appeal. And, the way this all plays out will defin
Linda Strong
NYPD Detective Sheryn Sterling and her partner Detective Rafael Mendoza are called to investigate a man (Andray Baxter) murdered in his own home... shot through the heart. Prime suspect is Jo Greaver, a woman who has secrets .... but was she willing to kill to keep them hidden? And how did she also wind up with a gun shot and in shock.

BOOK BLURB - Everything points to Jo as the killer. Her blood is at the scene, and so are disturbing photos of her taken as a young teen.

Something’s not right, an
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
Second in a series and I didn't read the first - it reads well as a standalone.

What I liked: engaging story that runs at a moderate speed.

What I didn't like: not fully believable in the procedural aspect of it comparatively to other procedurals I've read. Repetitiveness. Somewhat forced dialogue with the underlay of "lesson" that seemed unnecessary in how it was portrayed.

Overall, a decent and fun read but towards the end I wasn't as engaged as I was in the beginning. Don't think I'll be continu
Guylou (Two Dogs and a Book)
Don't Look Down

This is the second book in the Shadows of New York series by Hilary Davidson. The series stars NYPD detective Sheryn Sterling and her partner, Rafael Mendoza. Jo Greaver is a successful businesswoman with a past. She is being blackmailed for something she has done when she was a teenager. In order to make it all go away, she meets her blackmailer and pays his $50,000. But the meeting does not go as smoothly as she hoped. In a moment of self-defense, she shoots her blackmailer and she is shot in
Donna Hines
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Great thrillers are hard to find and this is one beautiful gem!
I loved everything about this one including the initial 'set up' or shall we say 'blackmail' in which money changes hands but not before tragedy strikes!
Jo is quite a character with all due respect. She's had a hard knocks life in more ways than one. She and her sister found themselves in a situation that they were never able to win.
What follows is a trampling upon the truth, a masterful set of lies, a full array of betrayal, and mur
Cathi - LovesBooksMore
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! Don’t think I’ve ever read a crime thriller so fast. Won’t give a spoiler, but The Who Dunnit has you guessing until the very last page.
I did not read the prequel to this book, but I was not lost at all. It was good as a stand-alone. Would absolutely recommend to lovers of crime books. Very fast paced.
Noriko
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid, engaging, and complex police procedural & crime thriller down to the wire. I’ve always have a soft spot for traditional police procedurals and this book delivered exactly what I was craving for.

The story opened up with a thrilling confrontation between a victim and a blackmailer which subsequently developed into a shoot-out, and the main two characters, Sheryn and her injured partner, Rafael set out for an investigation. Jo, another main character and a possible fugitive at large gets soo
LianaReads blog
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read the first book in the series, you should read it as soon as possible.
Don't look down is another great book by the author and a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the pages.
I enjoyed the characters and their interactions and banter, it felt so much like an Law and Order episode or any CSI one because it's a well written story with so many twists and turns that will unfold one by one and I was thinking that I may know who the blackmailer is but appare
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
After reading and loving One Small Sacrifice in June 2019, I was excited to read this second installment of the Shadows of New York series. Using well-drawn characters, Sheryn and her partner Rafael, Davidson has created a suspenseful read with a smart, tension-filled plot that also touches on bigger issues. That's my kind of read!

Once again, I loved that Sheryn is the focus of the book. She's a smart, feisty and strong-willed female NYC detective (I picture her as the amazing Viola Davis) who b
Donna
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Jo Greaver founded a cosmetics company when she was 21 years old. Five years later, it has blossomed into an international business. She goes to a dilapidated apartment building to meet a blackmailer who has nude pictures of her when she was 14 plus a nasty video. A shooting occurs. She is hit and the blackmailer is dead. Jo runs.

Detective Sheryn Sterling and her partner Rafael Mendoza get called to the dead body. Seems to be a clearcut case at first.

I struggled to like Jo but I felt
Jamie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The drama, suspense and thriller aspect I couldn’t put it down! I had to know what happened and stayed up way to late finishing my last book of the year! The twists and turns and police procedural work just play out begging you to read more! The dynamic between characters is well written and I liked all even the bad guys! I hope there is a 3rd book I need to know what happens next!
Thanks to the author and Netgalley for gifting me an advanced ebook copy!!!
Stefani
Mar 26, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, arc
***Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer!***

In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that I did not read the entire book. I read to 150 pages and I just couldn’t stomach it anymore. Reading it was painful and I just couldn’t do it. And since I am about 98% sure I know how it’s going to end, there really wasn’t much to keep me reading any further.

This book is just not good. It’s not a
Desiree
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This is the second book in a series; I have not read the first, but it reads well as a standalone.

Let me just say first that I really enjoyed having a detective as the main character who does NOT struggle with addiction, has a loving family, and is a generally nice human being. So many times with these procedural crime novels you get that stereotypical detective and it gets to be so boring and predictable. Detective Sterling was a refreshing and enjoyable character. She had that touch of sarcasm
Alysia
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Jo, a successful NYC business owner, is being blackmailed over some photos and videos from her past that have recently surfaced. But when the blackmail payoff turns deadly, Jo becomes the top suspect in the murder. As detectives Sheryn and Rafael start to unravel the events of that day, they begin to find that some pieces of this mysterious puzzle don’t quite add up.

This was the first crime novel I’ve read in quite a while and I really enjoyed it! For those of you who love shows like CSI or Law
Natalie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a good mystery. This was totally engaging and Sheryn Sterling is a fine hero who manages to untangle a series of murders with intelligence and compassion.

Young Jo Greaver is being both blackmailed and set up to take a murder charge. Her sad story unwinds and Sheryn becomes her advocate as she figures out who was behind the initial crimes. The bodies begin to pile up as Sheryn and her partner Rafael are able to connect the crimes to the perpetrators, despite their society backgrounds.

I l
Christine Moore
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jo Greaver has made herself a very successful life. But she has secrets she wants to keep buried. She receives a blackmail threat and when she shows up to the location Jo is shot, now the police are looking for Jo. There is a murder and Jo's blood and her blackmail pictures are the scene. detectives Sheryn and her partner Rafael have to untangle all of the lies and get to the truth. This is the 2nd book in a series but reads well as a stand alone. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery kept me ...more
Noreen Machelle
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"One of the bravest things you can do in your life is to keep moving forward under the weight of that burden," Sterling said. "You don't get to put it aside. It's going to be with you every day, and you're going to have to figure out how to cope with it."

This was a crime thriller that packed a punch! There were so many twists and turns. I appreciate how the author incorporates real world problems into her stories. There was people of every color, shape and background which I always enjoy. It was
Shelle Perry
Jo Greaver would appear to have it all. A growing company, a loving partner, supportive friends, and up and coming success. She is also being blackmailed. When she comes to the payoff with a bag of money and a gun, the blackmailer is killed and she is injured. This seems an open and shut murder case for detectives Sterling and Mendoza and yet as the investigation goes on it just doesn’t add up somehow for Sterling.

I read this whole book in a couple of hours, which should say something about how
Kate (kate_reads_)
DNF at 15%. This may have been a case of picking this up at the wrong time but I am not getting into the story. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the review copy.
Megan
Unfortunately.... this one was a little boring. 😬
Amy
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Don’t Look Down follows the case of Jo, a highly successful beauty company owner who is being blackmailed by someone. When she agrees to meet the alleged blackmailer, she finds herself in a shoot out where she takes someone’s life. She is thrown into turmoil as she is tracked down by detective duo Sterling and Rafael. The story follows the case against Jo and gets to the bottom of why she was being blackmailed - and by who.

This book got off to a really strong start. I was hooked and couldn’t wai
Nicola Short
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a nail biter! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time reading this book. I pretty much read it non stop and when I wasn’t reading it, I was thinking about it. And, the ending???? All I can say is, you just have to pick up a copy of “Don’t Look Down!” Talk about a complicated story!
If you are in the mood for a intriguing, police procedural, this is the book you need to pick up.
Hilary Davidson is a new author to me and I look forward to reading more from her. I did not know this wa
Benoit Lelièvre
A beautiful mess of criss-crossing murder investigations.

Hilary Davidson is back on top of her game, exploring the dark secrets of the rich and the beautiful. Her novels are full of models, entrepeneurs, important people are messed up loons to hacked and slash their way to the top. This one is no different. It's a little bit unnecessarily winding at times and it doesn't draw outside of line of what Davidson is already good at, but it's a nice return to form for such a talented thriller writer. I
CarolineFromConcord
This Hilary Davidson mystery was an exciting read with a complicated plot, interesting characters, and an incredible array of possible motives for murder and arson. But once I gave myself time to think about the surprises at the end, I had to admit it was pretty implausible.

In the story, Jo has built her cosmetics company to international success after a youth of appalling abuse. She has tried to keep the past in the past, but lately she's been getting email messages from a blackmailer who's bee
Anjana
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a much better story than that of the first. The lead detectives continue to be mildly dislikable. This is a rarity in such police procedurals, but that is what we have to work with leading investigators who feature in a very odd space of the spectrum between good and evil. We hear both their voices, one more than the other and watch how they work together and what they think of the unravelling situation. The other voices we get to hear are odd choices. It is of the accused and her boyfri ...more
Anne Marie
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series. And I didn’t even know it was a series until I went to update my Goodreads. So they definitely can be read as a standalone.

This book keeps you fully invested the whole way through. It pulled me in right from the beginning and it made it very hard to put down.

We have Jo who has made her own make up company. It is her baby and her dream. During this book you find out that Jo has had a very troubled childhood. I think that’s why her business and her company me
Chris breeh
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So i started this book and it was not really catching my eye at first.. I was torn between giving this book 3/4 stars because it would get slow then pick up etc.. This book takes to about 30% to start picking up.. If you are interested in more crime solving this book would be for you.. I did enjoy reading the duo who was solving the case.. Sheryn is such a bad ass she stands her ground and i love what she stands for and i loved the diversity in this book.
Towards the end of the book the chapters
Kristen
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Fantastic! Even better than the first in the series. (They can be read as standalones or out of order too - no spoilers here.) Love the leads in this one, the diversity of the characters, the strong sense of place, and especially the complexity of a story that still just grips you and keeps you reading. So often complex stories and characters make slow books, and gripping, action-oriented thrillers don’t have much depth or complexity, or much diversity among the characters. Davidson has a real s ...more
Never Without a Book
This was a solid 3.5
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 15 Mar 09, 2020 12:28PM

• Scorched Grounds (Normal, Alabama, #2)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • The Lies We Hide
  • After She Wrote Him
  • The Alibi Girl
  • Close to You
  • Deadly Silence (Detective Jane Phillips, #1)
  • The Mother I Could Have Been
  • All of Us
  • Empire of Lies
  • You Are Mine
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Insatiable Appetites (How Sweet It Is, #4)
  • The Numbers Game
  • Cause of Death
  • Wife After Wife
Hilary Davidson was a journalist before she turned to the dark side and started writing crime fiction. Her novels include the award-winning Lily Moore series—The Damage Done, The Next One to Fall, and Evil in All Its Disguises—the bestselling Shadows of New York series—One Small Sacrifice and Don’t Look Down—and the standalone novels Blood Always Tells and Her Last Breath (coming in July 2021). Sh ...more

Shadows of New York (2 books)
  • One Small Sacrifice (Shadows of New York, #1)