Start by marking “Silent River” as Want to Read:
Silent River

Silent River

A gripping psychological thriller inspired by true events.

Robert Collins is Portland’s best investigative detective. When the Stevens family goes missing, he goes to work. As he uncovers clues the family may have been targeted for a professional hit by organized crime, it gets personal.

Too personal. Can he face down his inner demons before he loses himself?

He confronts
Published April 15th 2019 by Italics Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Silent River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent River

Start your review of Silent River
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well-crafted psychological thriller...

Silent River by C.M. Weaver is a wonderfully written and richly descriptive novel, with brilliantly drawn characters driven by obsession and the need for justice. The author weaves a well-crafted psychological thriller with intriguing twists and turns that will captivate the reader from the first page to the last. Skillfully constructed, the story is a fictionalized version of a real investigation in the late 1950s in Portland, Oregon.

The book description
PWA Allen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is based on a true story from the late 1950's. Two detectives are working thru a personal tragedy, conflict within the police dept, the mob, and some powerful people in order to find out what happened to a family of 5 that went missing. After months and many clues, they finally realize what their dealing with . I'm not sure I liked the way it ended, however this was a different time in history, yrs ago.
Thanks to Italics Publishing for the opportunity to read this story.
Tish
Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Very awkward phrasing at times ( “Her thumb in her mouth he felt no movement.” Actual sentence 13% in)and historical inaccuracies, we also know the ending on the first page. We already know the fate of the missing family, so it’s not like there’s a sense of urgency for them to be found, hopefully alive.
Everywhere our protagonist went-shopping, birthday parties, diners-women were literally falling over themselves to be around him. It seemed unbelievable, as if it was the author’s fantasy to have
Voracious Reader
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Take a few facts, add some imagination and C.M. Weaver crafted an enthralling plausible story about a family that seemingly just up and disappears. Follow along with Detective Collins as he sifts through threads of evidence trying to get the answers to the fate of the Stevens family. What led to the disappearance and what became of them? The closer he comes to solving the case the more dangerous it becomes not only for him but for everyone close to him and anyone who would help him.

There are som
Paula Leonard
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read

Having read many new writings, I appreciate one that moves the reader quickly through a case. This read just like a cop taking you from start to finish, a plausible technique. However, the English teacher, and avid reader, in me was jolted from time to time by awkward phrasing (I don't know think he), a missing word [a hunting (jacket?)] hunting , or an incomplete spelling (he eyes). Furthermore, the end was too pat! Any dedicated officer would have found a way to "solve" this case. S
C.
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The beginning of this book was gripping and I looked forward to a great novel. It suddenly began to drag and start to get confusing. A small problem with editing as well when questioning a suspect without an attorney present and when you ask your last question an attorney pops up and says "don't answer that". I had to go back and see if I'd missed something. Most disappointing was the abrupt ending. I'm at a loss as to what happened. I know from the beginning of this book that the author is bett ...more
Ellen White
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new author for me, and he has a different approach, setting this in the late 1950’s and based on true facts. The house looked as though they had gone on a vacation. The detectives had their own problems, then dealing with bulky equipment,the mob, people in command over them. The settings of Portland, and descriptions where good. An usual ending, was quite short. Overall a good narrative type of thriller to enjoy.
Quanita
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Justice System Works For The Rich

When a family of five disappears, and are presumed dead, the police appear to jump into action. Two honest cops are stopped at every turn. They know that wealthy families are involved, but money really can stop an investigation. The two run into a wall of frightened cops and others on the take. Realistic without the perfect solve at the end. I was gifted this from the author.
Michael A. Zaffiri
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Story

Knowing that a book is based on a real event usually makes it more interesting. I enjoyed the twists and I shows that truth can be stranger than fiction. As people have mentioned in previous reviews there were a couple of spots where you feel you missed something but that doesn’t ruin the story. A little surprised with the ending but I guess that this is real life.
Bev
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
What I liked about this story is it is based on something that actually happened in 1950 in Portland. This detective gives himself up selflessly to try and save a family and bring those who are guilty to justice. I enjoyed this book very much. I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of this book.
Lori
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Well written mystery. A search for a missing family in a mob-infested town. New love and friendship. Something for everyone!
Anne G. Kasaba
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting book based on a true story. A good mix of action, mystery, and romance. Well written but the end was a let down. I was left wanting to know more.
Donna
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is well written and based on a true unsolved crime.
Jackie
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing and suspenseful story that has you gripped.
JB Fisher
Jun 04, 2019
Roland Clarke
Jun 04, 2019

• Love, Lies and Murder
  • Genesis (Harry Starke Genesis #1)
  • The Dead Chill (Sidney Becker, #2)
  • Victoria (Lt. Kate Gazzara #5)
  • Daughters and Sons (C.T. Ferguson #5)
  • Cassandra (Lt. Kate Gazzara #2)
  • The Raven (Harry Starke Genesis #2)
  • Murder and Chocolate Fudge Cake (Daley Buzz Mystery, #15),  (Mysteries of Treasure Cove Book 1)
  • Death Unholy (DI Tremayne Thriller #1)
  • Not Really Dead (Special Agent Tess Winnett, #5)
  • The Death of Jessica Ripley (CSI Eddie Collins #5)
  • The Night Shift (Cavendish & Walker #0.5)
  • One Last Breath (The Detective Bex Wynter Files)
  • A March from Innocence (C.T. Ferguson #6)
  • The Invisible Heiress
  • The Chatterbox Killer (Fortune & Fernandez Serial Killer Thriller, #1)
  • Second Chance (Bram Carver #1)
  • Girl Gone Home