Start by marking “The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver” as Want to Read:
The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver

The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver

The inspirational story of George Washington Carver and his childhood secret garden is brought to life in this picture book biography by the author-illustrator team behindMuhammad Ali: A Champion Is Born.

When George Washington Carver was just a young child, he had a secret: a garden of his own.

Here, he rolled dirt between his fingers to check if plants needed more rain or
Published January 14th 2020 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver

Start your review of The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver
Bookishrealm
This book was AMAZING. Of course I’ve heard of George Washington Carver and I know a little bit about his legacy however I’m always amazed of how much you can learn from Children’s nonfiction books. They can be phenomenal. This book really made me learn a lot about his past and why he was so passionate about agriculture. I think that people always recognize his ability to utilize the peanut in so many different ways but I think that this book definitely provides much more insight to his life. ...more
Betsy
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5. Art is outstanding. Book would be a 5 star for me if more about Carver's faith were worked in.
Pam  Page
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting story about Carver with beautiful illustrations. Timeline, bibliography, and further reading at the end.
Edward Sullivan
A lushly illustrated, expressive, inspiring portrait of Carver.
mg
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'll be honest, I love anything that Frank Morrison does. But this truly surpasses all his other work...

Beautiful, warm, lush illustrations that help illustrate the beautiful story of George Washington Carver evolving from a kidnapped enslaved person to a nationally respected Black agricultural expert. Wonderful information book that is sure to pull in readers starting around 2nd grade.

Side Note: As a former Ames, IA, resident (where the Iowa Agricultural College became Iowa State University),
Mandy
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Picture book biography. I have heard of George Washington Carver and knew that he was the "peanut man." This story brought to life his childhood, how he had a secret garden of lowers that he used as his own personal laboratory. The illustrations are beautiful, and the text is easy to follow. Back matter includes a timeline and bibliography. Racial issues are discussed in the text but not focused on. This is a lovely new addition on the life of this inspiring man.
Erin
The illustrations alone draw you in to Carver's world. A richness of layers and depth makes everything shine. The text offers enough information to be engaging, but the pages are not overloaded, which makes it a manageable text. A fascinating, intelligent, and admirable man, and a beautiful addition to the world of picture book biographies.
Amanda Zirn Hudson
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These illustrations will take your breath away. This stunning book tells a condensed history and the inspiring story of George Washington Carver. I learned so much! A great introduction to George Washington Carver for readers of all ages.
Jenn Adams
I really enjoyed how this explored the life of George Washington Carver through the lens of his childhood garden. There are lots of biographies of GWC out there, but this one stands out and may specifically appeal to children with similar interest.
Maureen Tully
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lot of information about George Washington Carver is packed into this beautifully illustrated picture book. Along with the text, there is also a helpful timeline at the end.
Ciera
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations. I learned so much about George Washington Carver that I was never taught.
Nitza Campos
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Wow! This was beautiful.
Donnisha Jones

• Before She Was Harriet
  • I Voted: Making a Choice Makes a Difference
  • Layla's Happiness
  • The Heart of a Whale
Gene Barretta is the author and illustrator of Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin and Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci. He is also author and illustrator of Dear Deer, which was a Notable Children’s Book in the Language Arts and listed on the Parenting Magazine Mom-Tested Books of the Year List. He holds a B.F.A. in Film Studies from New York University, and ...more