Start by marking “Big Papa and the Time Machine” as Want to Read:
Big Papa and the Time Machine

Big Papa and the Time Machine

Discover the true meaning of being brave in this tender and whimsical picture book from Daniel Bernstrom (One Day in the Eucalytus, Eucalyptus Tree) and Shane Evans (Chocolate Me!) that follows a grandfather and grandson who travel through time in a beloved 1952 Ford.

A little boy who lives with his grandpa isn’t reprimanded for being afraid to go to school one day.
Published January 14th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Big Papa and the Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Papa and the Time Machine

Start your review of Big Papa and the Time Machine
KDV
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So much to love in this book. Great writing and lines I wanted to read and re-read (I love the idea of a song that makes your bones want to swim). I love that this grandfather is given a story and a life (instead of just being somebody's Grandpa), and that his stories transport his grandson. I love the way fear is normalized, and the definition of bravery expanded... SO GOOD! Beautiful illustrations, too!
Edward Sullivan
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A charming, whimsical intergenerational story about a grandfather and grandson who travel through time in a 1952 Ford.
Shaunterria
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
[PreS-Gr. 1] An imaginative and inventive tale, Big Papa and the Time Machine walks a child through African-American history via his grandfather’s past. A nameless child’s fear of going to school for the first time compels his grandfather to share his story with him, turning his classic car into a time machine and using each instance of trial and struggle during his lifetime to demonstrate what true bravery looks like. Tying in his personal story of leaving the South as a teenager to find work ...more
Aolund
On the way to school one day, Big Papa takes the main character, a kid with tan brown skin and puffy caramel-colored hair and a baseball cap on a trip in his "time machine," a retro car. In their time machine, the two explore moments from Papa's past as a hard worker in construction, a boy told to give up on his dreams because of the color of his skin, and a man taking a chance on love. Every scenario concludes with a refrain about being scared and deciding to be brave. Tender and moving, this ...more
Rebecca Anne
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book starts out with a boy telling his grandpa he doesn't want to go to school because he'll miss his grandpa. The grandpa takes the boy in a car time machine, and they revisit moments in the grandfather's past where the grandpa had to show bravery when it wasn't easy. One of these memories included the fact that his father didn't allow him to go to school.

I loved the afterward where the author told the story behind the book's inspiration.
Pam
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A young boy expresses his fears about going to school. His grandfather takes him on a journey into his past to show him times when he was afraid too. He reveals his story and shares their history.
Soft colored illustrations represent the time travel and view through the grandfather's memories.
Touching author note at the end.
Jeri  Goins
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh man this one got me! I was already teary by the end of the book with how touching the story of this boy and his grandfather was - but then the author's note at the end finished me off! Crying in the library. This book about our family's histories and the ways we have to be brave every day if we ever want to grow was WONDERFUL! Read it.
Mary
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful picture book! The story was sad and heartfelt and hopeful. The illustrations are beautiful, and I love the blues and yellows. I enjoyed reading the author's note at the end as well. Great read-aloud for 5-8 y/o.
Abby Johnson
When a young boy is scared to start a new school, his grandfather takes him in a time machine to show him times in his own life where he had to be brave. This is a celebration of family history wrapped in a whimsical, colorful package.
Amanda Zirn Hudson
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I absolutely loved the art in this book (super dreamlike!) but I especially loved the story and the message. A powerful book about being brave while covering some crucial moments in African American history.
Lynn
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of a grandfather and grandson who take a trip in a time traveling old car. A story of love and bravery.
Amanda
So many ways to be brave. So many ways to show love. I wasn't expecting to like this at all, but was quietly won over.
Jenn Adams
I wanted to like this more than I did. Great message and the author's note that explains the backstory is very sweet.
Robin
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet and earnest conversation between a grandfather and grandson about being brave. Highly recommended for ages 6-8.
S
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grandpa takes his grandson on a trip back in time to show the true meaning of being brave. Hint: it's okay to be scared!
Tracie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, all
A young child and their grandparent take a ride in the car and the grandparent shares stories of their life experiences.
Ames Public Library Youth Services
A young boy and his grandfather time travel as they discover the meaning of being brave. Wonderful text by Bernstrom and beautiful illustrations by Evans.

-dmz