Start by marking “Home Truths” as Want to Read:
Home Truths

Home Truths

A strong marriage can cope with the unexpected. But can it survive the unimaginable?

American nanny Eleanor was never meant to meet Alex. But when she walks into his London police station to report a stalker, everything changes for them both. He’s convinced he can protect her from anything and anyone. She hopes her darkest days are behind her.

As they settle into their

Published December 1st 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Home Truths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Truths

Start your review of Home Truths
Mark
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A page/kindle screen turner....
So much so I read it in a few hours
There is a feeling of delicious menace and ‘what is behind all the characters stories in all these sub plots’ all the way through and an uneasy ( yet exciting ) taut feeling that you are getting nearer and nearer to the truth
Whats great in this book is that you don’t actually get anywhere near the truth until the last few pages when everything makes sense, the wonderful 1 sentence that pieces the 300 or so previous pages together
Dianne
With the flare of other wonderful British authors, Tina Seskis puts pen to paper and creates a rather dark, extremely detailed tale of love, marriage and life as two couples form bonds that no man should put asunder.

HOME TRUTHS is a telling tale of how couples change, how the blush of new romance grows deeper in many ways even as the ties that bind them can become restrictive. Eleanor and Alex are strangers to Christie and Paul, but each of them will keep secrets, tell lies, and display all of
Karen
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four people. Two couples. How and why are they connected?

When young American nanny Eleanor walks into Finsbury Park police station to report a stalker, she meets Alex. Alex Moffatt, the policeman on duty, was immediately smitten and decided that he would be the one to look after Eleanor. Christie has been badly hurt before by a previous boyfriend but needs convincing that Paul is different and can be trusted.

Beginning in the early nineties and spanning a period of over 20 years, Home Truths is a
Joanna
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drawn in from the very beginning, when knight in shining armour, Alex, first encountered Eleanor, who hadn’t had much luck since moving to London from America.

Nine times out of ten I can get a plot pretty much sewn up quite early on, and I enjoy playing detective while I’m reading. I also enjoy those plots that I just can’t quite figure out.
This was very much one of them!
Tina Seskis completely threw me off course with this one.
From very early on I was convinced I knew who the villain was, and
Meg
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kristin Cagle
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I am so torn on how to rate this book. The story itself is very twisty-turny and kept me engaged, but the writing style was excessively wordy and left me feeling a little exhausted. None of the characters are very likable, or even sympathetic, which further complicated my feelings towards this read. I would have given the story 4 stars, but the characters and relentless repetition of the points/feelings/thoughts would get a 2 star rating. So I split the difference and landed on 3 stars.
Cathryn Northfield
Tina Seskis does it again! A 5* read that will have you engrossed from the start, with a fantastic twist that I did not see coming. I literally had to pop my eyes back in their sockets near the end!

Well!!! I sat turning the pages on this one, curious, like a nosy neighbour twitching their curtains. Needing to know the ins and outs of the lives of these four characters!
The story ticks along nicely detailing the lives of two couples over many years. I became addicted quickly to the characters and
Goth Gone Grey
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book needs antidepressants.

I DNF'ed at 56% when I found myself looking at the amount of time left to read multiple times and groaning. My level of affection for the characters dropped the more I read; I stopped before I started cheering for the demise of fictional characters to put them out of their collective misery.

The narrative is slow moving, painfully so at times, and feels cast in a stereotypically British gloomy, overcast drizzle at all times. Even indoors.

The characters lead their
Nancy Johnson
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Took a while but then - wow!

I chose to read this book based on the reviews I read which referred to the twist at the end, and I would say they are definitely spot on. I read along and read along and although I can't say the first part of the book was titillating, it was interesting enough to keep me reading. But then when the twist occurred, I was caught up in it. I actually had started suspecting just a short while before but not the full extent. Quite an ending!
Sashi Grayndler
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
When two worlds collide

The chapters in the book alternate between Christie and Eleanor with their husbands stories woven in. It seems like two different books meshed into one, yet common sense dictates there must be an overlap or connection so I kept looking for clues to merge the stories . When it comes, it's unexpected and you start to question everything you read. Totally not what I expected! A book about human nature and how an unresolved past can warp each one of us so easily. A good
Laura Westwood
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well !!! What a story!
From the first chapter, I was drawn in and hooked. Each chapter was short, easy to read .. and left me wanting to know what was coming next.
A really good read again from Tina Seskis. Kept me gripped until the end! Will definitely be recommending this.
Kim
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Amazon First Reads book. 3.5 stars for being engaging. I figured out some of it, but not all.
Anne
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
It’s not very often these days that I read a thriller, but I’m so pleased I chose to read this one. There’s a great deal about this book – the character development, the ins and outs of people’s daily lives, the complex relationships, the distinctive voices of its characters – that makes it appeal equally to a reader of women’s fiction. And my goodness, I really did enjoy it.

After the intriguing voice of the prologue, the book begins in the early 90s – as American nanny Eleanor meets eager
Rachel (Rae)
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was one interesting and twisty book! Pretty much all the way through I was trying to play detective to figure it all out. I had lots of theories but was never quite sure if I would be proven right. There is a moreish quality to the story especially as the little twists and surprises easily pulled me in deeper and deeper. In Home Truths you will see the story told from the perspectives of Paul, Christie, Alex and Eleanor. In these characters I found very different personalities which ...more
Jo Barton
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Eleanor walks into a London Police Station she is unaware of just how her life is about to change when she meets the charismatic young police officer who takes her complaint of having a stalker seriously. What then follows is a cleverly plotted psychological thriller which keeps the story moving along at a suspenseful pace.

Intertwining two complex stories is no mean feat and yet, the author does a great job of building a rapport between the reader and the main characters so that an
Kelly
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free from Amazon Kindle First Reads. It deserves an extra star for the simple fact that it wasn't one of the worst books I've ever read, which the free First Reads usually seem to be. This turned out to be a very good choice.

This is a hard book to review. Even though it was kind of dull, it also held my interest. Not a lot happens but day to day routines, struggles between singles who then get married who then have children, and the typical struggles associated with dating,
Kate
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning ofHome Truths,Seskis definitely sets the atmosphere by giving the reader a lot of questions to consider. Someone is in prison, but who are they and what have they done? These questions were in the back of my mind all the way through the novel as I tried to work out how events would conspire.

Home Truthsis set over a 25 year period and I enjoyed following the characters over such a long time. Seskis moves with the times really well and captures the changing cultures and concerns
Bronwyn
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a goodread...it's a GREATREAD! It's one of those books where your world will suddenly seem a little less interesting once you've read the last page and realise with a tinge of sadness that you've made it to the end.

The characters are so deep and rich and complex with story lines to match, that you'll be kept guessing right to the very end. I'm going to read it again now that I know how everything unfolds, just like a great movie where you pick things up that you at first missed.

Teresa
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story of two marriages that you know are going to have to connect at some point, and usually I am pretty good at guessing what the twist will be, but this one definitely took me by surprise! American nanny Eleanor meets her future husband Alex, a police officer, when she goes to report a stalker. Alex "saves" her and they fall in love and build a life together. Christie's ex cheated on her so she has trust issues, but Paul is faithful and devoted, even through a rocky start to their ...more
Beth
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I (mostly) enjoyed this book, I found myself wondering when (if) something was ever going to happen.
The book is vague in places, and almost too vague, where you consider not finishing it because you just don't care anymore.
There's lots of narrative about the characters having this feeling or that feeling, wanting to run away from their life, or scream, or both. It keeps you off balance as you read, as you're convinced one character and then the next is stark raving mad.
The book spans
Marla
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished this one last night. WOW. The last few chapters of the book literally had me shaking my head in disbelief.
Throughout the book, you follow the lives of two couples. Theirs ins and outs, troubles and tribulations. The stories between these four characters are enough to keep you on your toes and attached to the book. You keep asking, “what’s going to happen next?” In their daily lives. When the last section of the book comes, it hits you like a brick wall. Everything makes sense.
Barbara
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep finding elements of Ruth Rendell in Ms. Seskis books and for this reader, that's a good thing. There is always this multilayered story where the connections are slowly revealed, characters are not always what they seem on the surface and it just makes for a compulsively readable story. In Home Truths, you will be surprised at the connection between the two couples, Eleanor and Alex in London and Christie and Paul hundreds of miles away. I read this over the course of a weekend of dreary, ...more
Claire H
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it was a complete page turner and perfect for my last week of summer holidays!

I really liked the way each chapter told the story of one of the four protagonists - and also the fact the story spanned over a number of years.

I love books set in London and as a north Londoner this totally hit the spot! I loved the fact that I had been to some of the places that featured in the book.

There is also a great twist at the end - I totally did not see it coming! I knew
Araldia
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well played!

I don't do spoilers in reviews, so it's hard to do justice to this piece of writing without spoiling it. The main focus of the book are two women, Christie and Elenor, unknown to each other who both have secrets in their past and challenges in their present. The book switches perspectives between them, and their partners, and covers decades of their lives in England. Elenor is an American, and came to the country chasing love. Brilliantly written, and the plot takes you one way and
Shelley
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book from the author for an honest review, and my honest review is, wow, what a blinder of a book!

This book has page turner written all over it!

As you read, you get drawn into the lives of the two couples, Eleanor and Alex, and Christie and Paul, and experience their ups and downs over the course of the years. Just when you think you may just have worked it all out, you find out you haven't, not quite.

Well written, with relatable characters, well some of them, this
Jess
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
This was ponderous, dull, and a complete suspense vacuum. While the characters were reasonably well-drawn, it was mostly 350 pages of totally unrelated people being dissatisfied with their lives and marriages, followed by 25 pages of allegedly shocking reveals that weren't necessarily set up with any care. Information is deliberately and clumsily obfuscated so as to avoid giving away the secrets, and there are a lot of really vague interludes that don't connect to the rest of the story. The ...more
Rhea D. Showalter
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought the ending was a real shock so I give it a 5 star for surprise endings. The book itself otherwise was slow going and confusing as I had a hard time remembering which character was which since there was so much switching back and forth from one character to the other. If it had really grabbed my attention enough. I don't think that would have been an issue. I read it all but it was not a book that I had trouble putting down. I could easily read a couple of chapters and then go to sleep.
Graham
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read One Step Too Far, I knew that Tina Seskis could deliver a compelling and unforeseen twist, so I was on the lookout for it from page one.
Home Truths drew me in from the beginning. It is a story of two couples whose lives would surely cross paths at some point. Surely?
The chapters are short and the story is well crafted, with convincing characters. These facts kept me turning the pages until the early hours. I couldn’t see what the twist and when it came, it blindsided me.
Tina has
Leona
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my word I have just finished this book and all I can say is Wow ! What an absolutely fantastic super read this was. I knew from the first chapter this was going to be a good one and I certainly wasn’t wrong. This is a book that had me gobsmacked at times. There are times when you read a book that after a few chapters you have a fair idea who the perpetrator is but this book threw me for six. This is a book which I can honestly say you won’t want to put down. Great characters and a superb ...more
Jessica Gray
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tina Seskis has an uncanny knack of connecting with our inner voices and fears. Anyone who's been in or currently in a relationship will relate to her narrative and the intricacies of the relationships she explores. Unsettling and unpredictable, you won't be able to see where this is heading until you reach the end. Just as you think you're on top of the plot twists she throws another spanner in the works and you're heading in another direction altogether! It's a real page turner, featuring ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Owned by the Mob Boss: A Dark Mafia Romance (Ivanovich Bratva)
  • Bloody Christmas
  • The Midnight Wife
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Only Daughter
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
  • The Poison Garden
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn #6)
  • Sara's Game (Sara Winthrop, #1)
  • Thin Line (Jack Noble #3)
  • An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
  • The Tracker (Sam Callahan, #1)
  • The Mistake
  • The Zombie Room
  • The Last Thing She Ever Did
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Institute
Tina Seskis's first novel, One Step Too Far, was released in 2013, and has since been published in 18 languages in over 60 countries.

Tina's fourth novel, Home Truths, has been picked for the worldwide Amazon First Reads promotion, which launched on 1st November 2019. Her fifth novel, Hope Close, will be published in Spring 2020.

Tina grew up in Hampshire, before going off to study in the beautiful