Start by marking “The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)

The Last Wish

(Saga o Wiedźminie 0.5)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  97,737 ratings  ·  6,014 reviews
Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin. And a cold-blooded killer. His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world. But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

A collection of short stories introducing Geralt of Rivia, to be followed by the
Published May 2008 by Orbit (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Wish, please sign up.
Wojtek Generally speaking: yes

Reading order should be: The Last wish -> Sword of Destiny -> Saga (starting with Blood of Elves)
There is Storm season,…more
Generally speaking: yes

There is Storm season, published recently. I’d say it could be read after saga
(less)
Susan If you enjoyed the side quests, then yes. You'll meet a lot of characters present in the game, and the type of stories is similiar, where almost every…moreIf you enjoyed the side quests, then yes. You'll meet a lot of characters present in the game, and the type of stories is similiar, where almost every character, important or not, has their backstory, there's no black-and-white morality. Stories are bound by Geralt telling them after some time to a young girl.
If you enjoyed the main plot and don't care that much for the stories and (mostly) unrelated adventures, you can start with Blood of Elves. That's when the whole drama with war and Ciri begins.
Also: the author himself considers the game to be very good, made in similiar style, and showing a faithful picture of the Witcher world (even though the games are not canon).(less)

·  97,737 ratings  ·  6,014 reviews

Aaron
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think about a fantasy book. Think about your favorite fantasy book. Chances are, it included elves or maybe dwarves. It probably had knights or something like them. It was, most likely, heavily influenced by Tolkien, or his successors, and it was probably based, at least in part, on a certain Anglo-saxon, or maybe French, sort of medieval culture. And if you read fantasy, there's probably 15 or so more like it on your bookshelf or your e-reader of choice.

So here's my recommendation: put down Lor
Markus
A Netflix production of the Witcher is now confirmed, set to portray the book series as a TV show. Despite being an adaptation abolitionist, I am actually somewhat excited!

“People” - Geralt turned his head - “like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves.”

Arguably the least famous one among my favourite fantasy series, The Witcher Saga by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski is something of a diamond in the rough. This is not something I’d recommend to just abo
Melanie
Last summer I became completely obsessed with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, where I took screenshots like this:

(Add me on Steam!)

And once I was finished with the DLC I knew I had to finally read the books to fill the void I now carry in my heart.

This book was translated from Polish to English. It contains seven short stories, and introduces our main protagonist in both games and books, Geralt.

“People”—Geralt turned his head—“like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous
Evgeny
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

It is my personal belief that when it comes to myths nobody b
Mark Lawrence
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this is a collection of short stories loosely threaded around a stay by our point-of-view character, the eponymous witcher, at a temple while recuperating from his latest fight.

The stories are mostly (all?) retellings of / inspired by well known fairy stories, like Beauty and the Beast. They share a slightly fairy tale vibe too. It's a world where destiny is a real force and unlikely promises about first born children etc made to strangers carry their own weight both magically and in popular
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I tried to make this short. I really did. I failed. I really did.

One thing before we begin this thing: I had never heard of this book/series/author until my Canadian Nemesis (aka Evgeny the Sometimes Wise One) read it/it/him. And given that 1/The Sometimes Wise One's book taste is not entirely despicable (view spoiler) and that 2/ The Sometimes Wise One seemed inclined to think I might not entirely not enjoy this book were
Kevin Kelsey
Fantasy isn't really my thing, but this was enjoyable enough. It's nice to read some non-English fantasy, especially since this didn't seem to be as influenced by the usual Tolkien style stories as most English written epic fantasy. A few of the stories were casually misogynistic, but there were also some really good ones in here as well. The second half is much, much better than the first.

The Voice of Reason: 3/5
Kind of an interstitial story, broken up into chapters between each other story. A
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Hmmmm, I listened to this on audio instead of reading my paperback and the sound was really low so I didn't catch all of it. I know! I'm going to have dad pick me up some proper headphones for the tablet. If I order some they will be wrong and blow things up!

I enjoyed the stories of Geralt and I really, really, really want to play the game! But I was told it was only for PS4 and I have PS3 =( That sucks, really, really, really sucks! I don't know if or when I could ever get a PS4 so I shall wai
Spencer Orey
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall pretty fun! There were some generic epic fantasy issues, especially mundane sexism, which was boringly rampant. The dialogue was also pretty uneven, had way too much exposition, and varied wildly in tone, but some of that at least had to be the translator's fault.

But the mythology was great, and it opens up some great mysteries for the series. I particularly liked the references to and retellings of old myths a lot (was there something about an evil Snow White???). The world feels expans
Lyn
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Wish, first published in Polish in 1993 and later in an English edition in 2007 by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, is a cool and different approach to high fantasy, distinct from Tolkien inspired adventures.

More akin to urban fantasy, Sapkowski’s The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine and the protagonist, Geralt of Rivia, is closer to Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden than to Aragorn.

A witcher is kind of a cross between a sorc
Bookwraiths
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Before picking up The Last Wish, I was briefed by my friends on what to expect, prepared to experience a pulp fiction story similar to Robert E. Howard’s Conan and Michael Moorcock’s Elric, so I was not surprised to find this novel a “frame” tale collecting a series of unrelated short stories. Certainly, I could see that there was an overarching plot right under the surface, but the fascinating thing about this volume was the unique spin on old fairy tales, the
carol.
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like adult fairy tales
I'm not one for "as seen in the movie..." or tie-in type books, so I was initially dubious about reading The Last Wish until I learned it was the inspiration for the video game. The Last Wish reads like an adult fairy-tale; not because of graphic sex or violence, but because of the melancholy and cynicism that permeate the characters. It follows the story of Geralt, a man who has become 'something more' than a man through training as a witcher. Witchers are a specialized guild, "itinerant killer ...more
Samir
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this I knew there was a review somewhere in the darkest depths of my mind. As I’m currently playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which inspired me to start reading this in the first place, I thought it would be a good idea to seek help from virtual Geralt and hire him for this quest and help me find it and it turned out to be a quest filled with illusions and borderline insane thoughts.

Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. He was forced at young age to undergo training and numerous mutation
Joey Woolfardis
I used to read pretty much nothing but High Fantasy, with a dash of Dickens here and there, and the occasional other classic, but High Fantasy was where I mostly lived. Deciding that there was more to reading than High Fantasy (which I absolutely and truly believe) I moved away and left it alone for a little while. Magician was really the first book I read that broke the High Fantasy drought, but it wasn't very good and I was disappointed. But it did make me hunger for some fantasy again...

And s
Charlotte May
So I’ve just seen they’re making a Netflix show out of this series. I can’t believe I’d never heard of it before, this sounds awesome!
TS Chan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feeling hyped from the teaser trailer of The Witcher by Netflix.

The Last Wish was more than up to task in satisfying my burning curiosity about The Witcher with its compelling eponymous protagonist, Geralt of Rivia.

I abandoned my gaming self a long time ago and as such, have not heard about The Witcher until someone mentioned that the image of Anomander Rake brought to mind Geralt of Rivia from the video game. That piqued my interest immediately, for Anomander Rake from the Malazan Book of the F
Mogsy (MMOGC)
At present, I'm working my way through The Witcher 2 video game which is probably the main reason why I've finally decided to tackle The Last Wish, which has been sitting in my to-read list for almost two years. I am in love with the game so far, and curiosity naturally led me to the books that inspired it.

The book collects seven short stories in a "frame" format, so we have an overarching frame story and six more that are told in a flashback or a memory, each forming a story of its own. Not sur
Gavin
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a series that has been on my to-read list for years as it is well loved by the vast majority of my Goodreads friends. I decided to finally make a start to it since the Netflix TV adaptation is due later in 2019. Reading book series before watching the TV adaptations worked out fantastic for me with Game of Thrones and Altered Carbon. Sadly, The Last Wish was a bit of a flop. I still think Netflix might get an OK TV series out of this but only if the use the concept as a basic template be ...more
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Geralt of the lush white hair is a witcher - a sort of monster slayer that's not 100% human. He's mutated in some way that's not explained. Maybe they talk about it in the next book. He spends his life traveling around seeing if any towns need any extermination of beasties. Lots of slicing and dicing with his sword.

When I first started reading this I was confused as it starts with a chapter titled "Voice of Reason" and then the next chapter is a completely different setting, place, time. Just a
♛Tash
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy

Now that I've read the The Witcher in it's original form, well not exactly original because I do not understand Polish, I can say that The Witcher is truly worth the nearly 30 years of hype in both literature and gaming.

The Last Wish introduces us to the legendary Geralt of Rivia the White Wolf and his exploits as a Witcher. The story isn't linear as it is a collection of short stories as Geralt goes to different kingdoms and hamlets in need of his Witcher services. In here we read fantastic re
Caro the Helmet Lady
Yes, someday I'll write a review for this whole thing and then probably retire and go to live to Brokilon forest as a recluse, but I'm just not ready yet to abandon social life, so hold your horses!
For now let's discuss this fun ideas for casting for Witcher series - this https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco... and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8Xn..., shall we?

And this http://www.dualshockers.com/casting-t...
James Tivendale
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5.

The Last Wish short story was brilliant, although many of the others were great too!

Onwards to the next book! x
Penny
While this was an enjoyable read, it had a few elements that turned it into a not very good book by the end.

This book is written as a frame story which is a nice way of saying it's a set of stories within a story. Each of the shorter stories seem to be based loosely on fairly tales, while the main story is that of a witcher Geralt and his adventures and life.

Unfortunately the short stories within the main story arc were not all transitioned into smoothly which made for a bumpy ride. The "fairy
Emma
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this! This is a collection of short stories loosely hung together about The Witcher: a not human breed of monster hunter who are few and far between. This frame story actually manages to reveal a lot of detail about Gerald, his life and background and the monsters he fights are many and varied. I really enjoyed the author's clever use of other fairy tales, changing the narrative to suit his purposes.
I think the next book is also a collection of short stories before the novels begi
Milda Page Runner
*2016 Re-reading Grain of Truth - my old time favourite. :)

Right, time to put this beauty back on my favourites shelf where it belongs.
After so many years and so many re-reads I still think it's awesome!

Highly recommended to all fantasy and sword-and-sorcery fans.
Michael Britt
"Evil is evil, Stregobor,” said the witcher seriously as he got up. “Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I’m not a pious hermit. I haven't done only good in my life. But if I’m to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all."

Disclosure: I am going to start being more strict with my ratings and very stingy with giving out 5 stars. So while this is a 3 star rating, it's by no means terrible. Let me explain.

I wa
Michelle
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
Both “The Last Wish” and “Sword of Destiny” precede the full length novels. They provide background information on the characters, and sets the stage for the series.

My review for both books can be found here:
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Mind blown. Mind f*cking blown!

Short stories + world building + fantastic characters +Tarantino level dialogue = profit

I'm going to post a review on Tuesday when I don't have work, so I can write a proper review for my new favourite fantasy series.

Image result for dandelion and geralt

My love for the Dandelion/Geralt bromance knows no bounds.

Image result for yennefer and geralt
Nena
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the only time I've had a good experience with reading a book due to it being related to a video game. It probably helps a lot that the game was based on the book, and not vice versa. I really loved the way this book is paced, with interlinked short stories about the character cast that did not follow a linear chronological order. It was pretty ideal for reading in short stretches between working, which is the situation I'm normally in.

The characters in this are well written, and Geralt w
Jennie Damron
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My hubby loves The Witcher video games. He recently told me the games were based on a book series by Andrezej Sapkowski. He said wouldn't it be cool if you got addicted to the series and so I took that as approval to buy the books. 😊 I am blown away by this book. I had no expectations at all just wanted to get lost in a book so to speak. I was immediately enchanted by this world Andrezej has created. It's captivating and felt so real even the characters came to life on the pages. Geralt is the e ...more

• Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin #8)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 3 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Wiedźma opiekunka, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #4)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Opowieści z Wilżyńskiej Doliny (Wilżyńska Dolina, #1)
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Wschód – Zachód
  • Przygody Tomka na czarnym lądzie (Tomek, #2)
  • Limes inferior
  • Kłamca (Kłamca, #1)
  • Nocarz (Nocarz, #1)
  • Kuzynki (Kuzynki, #1)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

Saga o Wiedźminie (6 books)
  • Blood of Elves (Witcher, #1)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Untitled
“People," Geralt turned his head, "like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live.” 822 likes
“Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.” 400 likes