Start by marking “The Fate of Fausto” as Want to Read:
The Fate of Fausto

The Fate of Fausto

There was once a man who believed he owned everything and set out to survey what was his.

“You are mine,” Fausto said to the flower, the sheep and the mountain, and they bowed before him. But they were not enough for Fausto, so he conquered a boat and set out to sea…

Working for the first time in traditional lithography, Oliver Jeffers, combines art with prose, hand set usin
Published September 17th 2019 by HarperCollins Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fate of Fausto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fate of Fausto

Somia
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
2.75 STARS: A Coffee Table Book – Ok-ish but Not a Book I will Remember

I like the message in this little book, a good message for kids to learn/discover, but I don’t think this book depicts the message as wonderfully as it could have. The illustrations, for me were disappointing, they didn’t captivate my gaze and have me sighing in pleasure as I wished I could draw like the illustrator.

Plus, very little is written, I know this is a children’s book, but there was more than one page with only on
Raven Black
This is not really for the picture book crowd. I think if you explain the story to the older child, they will appreciate the message, but may not pick it up right away. This is a book you experience on your own level due to biases and experiences. If anything, this is a coffee table picture book.
KDV
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A surprise ending -- for a picture book anyway -- that I was very happy with. I doubt most parents will like it. I liked it.
Kate Wyver
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd like Oliver Jeffers to come and draw waves all over the walls in my house.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A poingnant modern-day fable about greed and hubris.
Maeve
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2-5-grades, adult
Don't be greedy!
Lindsey
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the simplicity, message, and artwork.
Kim
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had encountered this as a child, I think it would've stayed with me for the rest of my life. Instead, the fables my father told in lieu of bedtime stories fill that role, and this, while as charming as I find all of Oliver Jeffers' work, serves more as a pleasant reminder of those tales than a new and poignant insight.
Billie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oliver Jeffers does it again! With The Fate of Fausto: A Painted Fable, he has created a timeless tale of greed and hubris completely suited to our current time. With shades of both The Little Prince and the works of Jon Klassen, and a moral that encompasses both the endurance of nature and the importance of understanding, this gorgeous picture book is sure to appeal to adults and kids alike.
Mary
You might recognize Oliver Jeffers's name from my recommendation of Stuck few months ago. When Penguin Random House asked me if I'd like to share his newest book, The Fate of Fausto: A Painted Fable (releasing today!), I jumped at the opportunity, because I love Jeffers’s books.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The Fate of Fausto is the story of a man who believes he is entitled to everything in the natural world and sets out to claim all as his. He convinces the flower, the sheep, and more that they belong to him, and
Colin Garrow
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A greedy man who thinks he owns everything, sets out to review his domain. He tells the flower, “You are mine,” and the flower agrees. Fausto declares the same to the sheep and the mountain, who also agree. But when Fausto sets out in a boat, things don’t go his way.

I’ve been a fan of Oliver Jeffers since reading ‘How to Catch a Star’ to my son a few years ago. The artwork in this book is lovely and as always, Jeffers’ tale is not a simple one – rather it’s one that prompts questions about owner
Rebecca
Hmmmm. I'm a big Oliver Jeffers fan, and I appreciate this parable about greed, illustrated (surprisingly -- I didn't know until I read it) via traditional lithographic printmaking. Printmaking takes a LOT of compositional planning, so it's a nice study of the book to know that each of Jeffers' minimal lines and gestures is very intentional, even as they still look loose and childlike. Still, this is one of those extra-long, not-quite-clear-about-audience adult/child picture books. The story wou ...more
Alyce Hunt
Although I loved the moral of The Fate of Fausto - that man is insignificant and nature will remain long after we are gone - this was one of the laziest picture books I've ever read. Most of the pages were completely blank with a simple line of text at the top, often just two or three words to each page, and although the illustrations that were featured were gorgeous they just weren't very well integrated with the rest of the story. Absolutely disappointing, especially when you compare it with O ...more
Pam
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
In many ways, this is a book for older students and adults. The simple text and illustrations can be read by younger students but they may miss some of the deeper message. Not surprising as Jeffers often has messages for all levels in his work.
Fausto believes he can own everything around him. He starts by claiming a flower and works up to owning the sea. As the areas he claims get larger, the tantrums to claim them get larger also. Readers see a man obsessed with possessions and owning the enti
Dipali
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
** A copy of The Fate of Fausto was provided by the publisher and Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review **

As usual, Oliver Jeffers delivers a story that is beautiful - in its words, illustrations and lessons. Jeffers continues to be one of my favourite author/illustrator of children's books. The Fate of Fausto is a poignant tale adults and children will appreciate and learn from.
Fern Kopkan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Fate of Fausto tells a story of a man who thinks he owns everything and keeps wanting more and more. The plot may sound typical, but the ending rings so true and thoughtfully touches on “man vs nature” theme. The lithography techniques that Oliver Jeffers oped for this book resulted in interesting pictures. Partly vintage, imperfect but charming.
Corinne
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like a lot of Jeffers work, I feel like this stirred something up somewhere in my memory. However, I'm not exactly sure what I was supposed to learn from this one except that you can own everything in this world, except for those things which are too big and too old, and they will instead kill you. Still, I liked it.
Amanda
Sep 24, 2019 added it
The character of Fausto, who is a jerk, drowns at the end of the story and nobody cares. I understand the message this book is trying to get across, but I don't think it is told in an appropriate manner for the stated recommended age group of 4-8 year olds. It's a story older kids can appreciate, but I would not read it to a preschooler.
CR
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting children's title with a lot of colors. It was a fast read that kids should enjoy! The combination of different kinds of art make this title come alive. It teaches kids about their moral compass which is great!
Marigold
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really thought-provoking book, with a lesson that can be interpreted in a number of ways. I choose to interpret it as an introduction to man's folly, in relation to our treatment of Mother Earth. This philosophic title is worthy of a readership of all ages.
bet mercer
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clever, humourous, simple, and wise--this fable, fabulously illustrated, brings to life an important truth for children and adults alike. Also includes a brief story Kurt Vonnegut recounted about he and Joseph Heller that adds an apt underline to the fable.
Katie
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Loved the art and pacing.
Wilde Sky
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A man tries to own 'everything'.

A good warning against greed.

Reading time around twenty minutes.
Yildiray Lise
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a modern fable on mankind and desire to own everything. After completing the book I had a smile on my face. ;)
Mr. Fausto looks like a character from the Little Prince.
Emma
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I personally believe you can't go wrong with Oliver Jeffers. This book is a cautionary tale against greed and always wanting more, with fantastic OJ illustrations.
Annese
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Giving Tree gets revenge!" - direct quote from Maeve
Ruby
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Too heavy and complex a subject for some but beautiful.
Sierra
Oct 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting.
Rebecca
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful message, lovely illustrations
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

Jeffe