Start by marking “Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It” as Want to Read:

You know your product is awesome—but does anybody else? Forget everything you thought you knew about positioning. Successfully connecting your product with consumers isn’t a matter of following trends, comparing yourself to the competition or trying to attract the widest customer base.

So what is it? April Dunford, positioning guru and tech exec, will enlighten you.

Her new
Kindle Edition
Published May 14th 2019 by Ambient Press

To ask other readers questions about Obviously Awesome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obviously Awesome

Start your review of Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
Josh Padnick
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is one of the best business books I've ever read and it's changed the way I think about building a startup.

I always saw positioning as a concept that marketing people talk about but could never actually define. Early on in the book, April Dunford acknowledges as much. But then she goes where no positioning book I've previously read has gone: extracting from her own 20+ years of real-world tech marketing experience a basic positioning framework that actually works. It's the kind of thing wh
Vuk Trifkovic
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tight, to-the-point book on the positioning. Really well structured and fun references throughout.
Roger
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Marketing books I’ve read. It’ll be my #1 recommended book on the topic, guaranteed.
Vassilena
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing, business
I’ve been in marketing for almost half my life now. Yet, I never completely understood what brand positioning is.

To me, positioning has always seemed like a theoretical exercise with a place in executive boardrooms but little applicability to real life. And out of my informal research among peers, it seems that I’m actually not a minority.

But things are changing thanks to April Dunford. Her book Obviously Awesome finally helped me – and thousands of marketers and business leaders – understand th
Madara Pavāre
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best marketing book out there, especially for marketers working in B2B.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A useful, step-by-step guide to positioning. Whereas most marketing books have hand-wavy definitions of positioning, and perhaps give a few examples, this book tries to give you a concrete recipe for how to position your own products. For that, it's definitely worth reading.

The biggest downside is that the book is really, really short and light on detail. The version I have is ~180 pages, but it's a small paperback, uses a large font, and includes lots of whitespace, quotes that take up an enti
Will Sertório
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The author guides us through 10 steps on positioning. It’s a short and straightforward read. But in the end I felt it a shallow experience due to the lack of actionable content (frameworks, question types, etc).
Richard
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Practical and valuable positioning insights

Some very practical and valuable insights into product positioning. Valuable for startups to mature products alike. Definitively worth a read.
Rada
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maybe not quite what I hoped for, but an interesting read nonetheless. The book talks mostly about positioning “products” — but positioning is equally relevant for research projects, papers, and other research artifacts. Definitely made me think of positioning much more than I used to.
Santhosh Guru
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A crisp and actionable work on positioning. I have always heard people talk about Al Ries and Jack Trout whose wrote about this topic three decades ago in a different era. It’s refreshing to see an update on this topic. This book is a solid starting point for anyone building and selling products.
Tomek Gab
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Clear and simple framework how to talk about products and companies. Highly recommended!
Stephanie Locke
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Useful, thought provoking book!

April did a great job at cobsolidating an amorphous concept and backlog of opinions into something easily consumable and thought provoking.
Christina Saldivia
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Say goodbye to poring through pages of boring theories, facts and anecdotes and say hello to a book that gets to the point, gives you answers and removes the mystery around product positioning.
I have been in product management for more than 20 years and this is the first book I have come across that provides a simple 10 step positioning process along with relevant examples. Let's face it, product positioning is difficult and if the process is clear and easy, you are more likely to get teams to
Kelsey
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a product marketer, I'm tasked with many responsibilities and am always looking for resources to help sharpen my skillsets for my career. I'm thrilled my counterpart mentioned this quick and easy guide to help master product positioning that's chocked full with great stories from the author's career. I'm definitely taking a lot of tips and tricks away from this short read and I think it should be added to the required reading for any product marketer or brand strategist.
Shreyas Karanth
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A nice short book which serves as a good intro to positioning B2B products very well. Highly relevant to me and it's left me with some good insights on how to position products. A quick summary would be to:
1. Understand the alternatives for your product
2. Find a best-fit market
3. Find best-fit customers
4. Make sure that sales, marketing and product are aligned to this

For more information, please read the book!
Andra
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best marketing and strategy books I've read!

I loved it because it's practical and packed with useful ways to look at a business and the marketing efforts it uses to grow.

April has a very helpful way of explaining her expertise, distilled from years of practice and difficult decision-making.

It was a great addition to my toolkit as a marketer and an individual who wants more clarity and focus while planning for the next year!
Daniel Bender
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Really insightful and valuable, but a little too shallow for my standards.

Highly recommend to anyone interested ins business strategy
Anna
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are many, many books (especially for start ups) that meander and use lots of complicated words and methodologies and frameworks to either make a very common sense point sound smart OR take a very theoretical tack without delivering much value at all. We’ve all been there. Either yelling at the page (or maybe it’s just me) saying, “yeah...duh!!” Or reading and re-reading the page thinking how is this ever going to be useful to me.

I’m here to tell you that Obviously Awesome is well titled b
Michael Dubakov
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
Decent book. Short and to the point. Style is not great though, typical business narration.
Main tips:
0. Positioning is a “context setting” for products.
1. In the early stage of you product try to sell it wider. See what sticks better, what personas, what companies, what cases — it will help to select good positioning later.
2. When you have some patterns, do quite usual research. Find out why customers buy, why the love the product, what unique features it has.
3. Start with a very small niche, as
Jana
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this book after seeing April give a great talk at Leading the Product conference.

I didn't really know anything about positioning. I knew about product/market fit and marketing generally but positioning? No one speaks about it.

One of the many thought-provoking points from the book is that who your competitors are might not actually be your competitors. Customers only compare your product with alternatives or other products they can understand. For example, if your customer is someone who do
Jeroen Corthout
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best book I've ever read on positioning!

I'm a big fan of "The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" by Al Ries & Jack Trout, which kind of covers this too, but I always found it hard to apply the laws to our smaller B2B business. April fixes that.

With Salesflare we were just starting to go through a repositioning exercise and then I met April as a fellow speaker at a conference 2 weeks ago. So lucky! I bought her book immediately after watching her talk.

I really enjoyed the read and the only reason I'
Krzysztof
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book delivers exactly what it promises. It explains positioning and its importance, presents 10-step process for defining positioning for a product or company, and gives a reader few tips on how to do it well. It might be surprising for a marketing book, but it's an easy read, really straight up, no fluff, no redundant repetitions, no convoluted definitions or abstract frameworks. You get what you pay for - nothing more, nothing less.

I wish it provided a bit more depth and explained more nu
Juan Chavez
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
This was a good book.
Great book for marketers, startup founders, or anybody who wants to learn about positioning and eventually do product positioning.
It includes a lot of interesting examples about marketing and positioning, from simple ones like cupcakes or "Bic for Her", to success stories of some real software companies.
It is practical, hands-on, and easy to understand. Highly recommended.

On the short side but a great book nevertheless. really made me consider how to market product and servi
Brian
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A must read for anyone serious about growing a business

I’ve spent years pontificating about the importance of positioning and trying to explain it to a variety of clients and companies I’ve worked for. The so-called Bible of this discipline, “Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind,” is close to 40 years old... Still valid, but never really telling you the “how to.” April Dunford recognized this gap, and like a good marketer, moved to fill it with a detailed, step-by-step guide that is well writt
Yves
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concise and very useful during seed stage

I am glad I read this early on. It changed my mind about quite a few things.

It's a shorter and perhaps smarter companion to Play Bigger. It gives more context and doesn't focus on one way to do things.

Yes the author's ultimate purpose is to sell courses and workshops, but at any point I had a feeling she was leaving anything out of the book on purpose. On the contrary, I felt like she covered all the ground that can be covered without going into details a
Jade
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, business
This is definitely not a textbook. You won't find a lot of high-level theories or definitions here.
Instead, you will be provided with step-by-step guidance of how to think about positioning, and how to build a positioning strategy. Moreover, it includes a lot of interesting examples about marketing and positioning, from simple ones like cupcakes or "Bic for Her", to s
Milla Lappalainen
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve heard so many colleagues and fellow marketers rave about this book, and now after reading it, I have to agree that it’s probably one of the best in marketing (and even wider business strategy). I now understand why it’s been so difficult to sell certain products and services – we were just in the wrong market! April’s definitions for product features, differentiators, values for custoemer, etc. were also very useful for future positioning work. have a feeling I’ll go back to this one time a ...more
Ragvinder Singh Rekhi
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

In clear, simple language with concrete real world examples the author walks you through the thinking and steps needed to achieve success. Even though she makes clear that this is for existing products with customers, I found it useful to discipline my thinking around a new, yet to be launched product. I highly recommend this book even if you have a successful product on the market. The market around you is changing fast and unpredictably. This book provides templates for quickly rethinki
Alex
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Obviously Awesome is fantastic. April, who obviously knows her shit, is excellent at clearly communicating what positioning is, why (and when) you need it, and how to do it. I've taken many formal business classes, and though they touched on positioning, they pretty much only ever hit the depth of the "positioning statement" that April skewers in the book.

If you read one thing on positioning, make it this one.
Richard McAdam
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Valuable insights

This should be required reading for any entrepreneur who wants to understand who their customers are and how they perceive the product. April Dunford has distilled years of experience in the complex and subtle business of understanding your product and prospect into a manageable read full of hard won wisdom.

This book is a great investment. Applied well, it should result in a truly impressive return.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Product-Led Growth: How to Build a Product That Sells Itself
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Play Bigger: How Pirates, Dreamers, and Innovators Create and Dominate Markets
  • Scientific Advertising
  • This Won't Scale: 41 Plays From The Drift Marketing Team To Help Your Business Cut Through The Noise, Grow Faster Than The Competition & Thrill Your Customers
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • 7 Powers: The Foundations of Business Strategy
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • Badass: Making Users Awesome
  • Monetizing Innovation: How Smart Companies Design the Product Around the Price
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million
  • Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Positioning is the act of deliberately defining how you are the best at something that a defined market cares a lot about.” 0 likes
“Sit, walk or run, but don’t wobble.” Zen proverb” 0 likes