Start by marking “Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It” as Want to Read:

You know your product is awesome—but does anybody else? Forget everything you thought you knew about positioning. Successfully connecting your product with consumers isn’t a matter of following trends, comparing yourself to the competition or trying to attract the widest customer base.

So what is it? April Dunford, positioning guru and tech exec, will enlighten you.

Her new
Kindle Edition
Published May 14th 2019 by Ambient Press

Start your review of Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
Josh Padnick
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is one of the best business books I've ever read and it's changed the way I think about building a startup.

I always saw positioning as a concept that marketing people talk about but could never actually define. Early on in the book, April Dunford acknowledges as much. But then she goes where no positioning book I've previously read has gone: extracting from her own 20+ years of real-world tech marketing experience a basic positioning framework that actually works. It's the kind of thing wh
Vuk Trifkovic
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tight, to-the-point book on the positioning. Really well structured and fun references throughout.
Roger
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Marketing books I’ve read. It’ll be my #1 recommended book on the topic, guaranteed.
Will Sertório
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The author guides us through 10 steps on positioning. It’s a short and straightforward read. But in the end I felt it a shallow experience due to the lack of actionable content (frameworks, question types, etc).
Mona Akmal
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short. Helpful. Practical.
AV
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for people in Marketing and especially, Product Marketing, who are concerned with bringing new products to the market and establishing a footing for those products. Some great pointers around different kinds of attributes (consideration, retention, etc), product value, ideal customer profile, target audience/ market.

Would have loved to see more questions and maybe, more than the single framework to bring more clarity on how to approach the entire positioning process.
Bogdan Iordache
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended

One of the best business books of the year and a product positioning classic, especially for technology or digital products.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A useful, step-by-step guide to positioning. Whereas most marketing books have hand-wavy definitions of positioning, and perhaps give a few examples, this book tries to give you a concrete recipe for how to position your own products. For that, it's definitely worth reading.

The biggest downside is that the book is really, really short and light on detail. The version I have is ~180 pages, but it's a small paperback, uses a large font, and includes lots of whitespace, quotes that take up an enti
Vassilena
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing, business
I’ve been in marketing for almost half my life now. Yet, I never completely understood what brand positioning is.

To me, positioning has always seemed like a theoretical exercise with a place in executive boardrooms but little applicability to real life. And out of my informal research among peers, it seems that I’m actually not a minority.

But things are changing thanks to April Dunford. Her book Obviously Awesome finally helped me – and thousands of marketers and business leaders – understand th
Calin
Jul 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Since I had a chance to take part in a positioning workshop ran by the author in 2021 I kinda knew what to expect; a nice refresher and honestly it’s an awesome book.
Madara Pavāre
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best marketing book out there, especially for marketers working in B2B.
Sairam Krishnan
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Work reading. Excellent book on positioning. Should be required reading for marketers, along with Seth Godin's This is Marketing, and Rory Sutherland's Alchemy. ...more
Shreyas Karanth
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A nice short book which serves as a good intro to positioning B2B products very well. Highly relevant to me and it's left me with some good insights on how to position products. A quick summary would be to:
1. Understand the alternatives for your product
2. Find a best-fit market
3. Find best-fit customers
4. Make sure that sales, marketing and product are aligned to this

For more information, please read the book!
Kelsey
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a product marketer, I'm tasked with many responsibilities and am always looking for resources to help sharpen my skillsets for my career. I'm thrilled my counterpart mentioned this quick and easy guide to help master product positioning that's chocked full with great stories from the author's career. I'm definitely taking a lot of tips and tricks away from this short read and I think it should be added to the required reading for any product marketer or brand strategist. ...more
Richard
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Practical and valuable positioning insights

Some very practical and valuable insights into product positioning. Valuable for startups to mature products alike. Definitively worth a read.
Santhosh Guru
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A crisp and actionable work on positioning. I have always heard people talk about Al Ries and Jack Trout whose wrote about this topic three decades ago in a different era. It’s refreshing to see an update on this topic. This book is a solid starting point for anyone building and selling products.
Rishabh Srivastava
Sep 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was just phenomenal. The author lays out why so companies struggle with positioning, and recommends a structured approach to help them position better.

Her first sign of poor positioning – "your current customers love you, but new prospects can’t figure out what you’re selling" – struck a chord with me. I have never lost a customer, but have often struggled in the past to get new customers. And reading the book helped me understand why.

The author breaks down positioning into five components:
Tomek Gab
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Clear and simple framework how to talk about products and companies. Highly recommended!
Slav Ivanov
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Must read for any startup.
Aubree Deimler
Jun 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Super helpful and to the point.
Dhanya
Apr 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Practical step by step guide to introduce positioning to a person or a team.
Stephanie Locke
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Useful, thought provoking book!

April did a great job at cobsolidating an amorphous concept and backlog of opinions into something easily consumable and thought provoking.
Christina
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Say goodbye to poring through pages of boring theories, facts and anecdotes and say hello to a book that gets to the point, gives you answers and removes the mystery around product positioning.
I have been in product management for more than 20 years and this is the first book I have come across that provides a simple 10 step positioning process along with relevant examples. Let's face it, product positioning is difficult and if the process is clear and easy, you are more likely to get teams to
Michael Dubakov
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
Decent book. Short and to the point. Style is not great though, typical business narration.
Main tips:
0. Positioning is a “context setting” for products.
1. In the early stage of you product try to sell it wider. See what sticks better, what personas, what companies, what cases — it will help to select good positioning later.
2. When you have some patterns, do quite usual research. Find out why customers buy, why the love the product, what unique features it has.
3. Start with a very small niche, as
Andra
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best marketing and strategy books I've read!

I loved it because it's practical and packed with useful ways to look at a business and the marketing efforts it uses to grow.

April has a very helpful way of explaining her expertise, distilled from years of practice and difficult decision-making.

It was a great addition to my toolkit as a marketer and an individual who wants more clarity and focus while planning for the next year!
Omar El-mohri
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing perspective of how to think about the relevance of a product in the market, and steps to well put this product in the eyes of the potential customers. This is very well explained and easy to read even for non-marketers as myself
Rada
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Maybe not quite what I hoped for, but an interesting read nonetheless. The book talks mostly about positioning “products” — but positioning is equally relevant for research projects, papers, and other research artifacts. Definitely made me think of positioning much more than I used to.
Katheriin
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for all business and marketing leaders. April explains positioning in a fun and easy-to-follow way, with practical guidelines and examples along the way. Once you finish reading, you'll be left wanting more. (Pro tip: go follow her on Twitter to keep getting those nuggets.) ...more
Daniel Bender
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Really insightful and valuable, but a little too shallow for my standards.

Highly recommend to anyone interested ins business strategy
Wes Cobb
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Full of fluff and common sense.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Product-Led Growth: How to Build a Product That Sells Itself
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Play Bigger: How Pirates, Dreamers, and Innovators Create and Dominate Markets
  • The Cold Start Problem
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Continuous Discovery Habits: Discover Products that Create Customer Value and Business Value
  • Build: An Unorthodox Guide to Making Things Worth Making
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • $100M Offers: How To Make Offers So Good People Feel Stupid Saying No
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
  • Amp It Up: Leading for Hypergrowth by Raising Expectations, Increasing Urgency, and Elevating Intensity
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million
  • Product-Led Onboarding: How to Turn New Users Into Lifelong Customers (Product-Led Growth Series Book 2)
  • Badass: Making Users Awesome
  • Empowered: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Products

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

Horror fiction, as a genre, can be fascinating to track over time. The scary stories that we tell ourselves often reflect the anxieties we’re...
“Strategy is about making choices, trade-offs; it’s about deliberately choosing to be different.” MICHAEL PORTER” 0 likes
“The flow looks something like this:” 0 likes