Start by marking “The Lost Ones” as Want to Read:
The Lost Ones

The Lost Ones

Some houses are never at peace.

England, 1917

Reeling from the death of her fiancé, Stella Marcham welcomes the opportunity to stay with her pregnant sister, Madeleine, at her imposing country mansion, Greyswick – but she arrives to discover a house of unease and her sister gripped by fear and suspicion.

Before long, strange incidents begin to trouble Stella/>
Published October 31st 2019 by HQ

Start your review of The Lost Ones
Kylie D
An intriguing book, The Lost Ones draws you in from the start and doesn't let go until you've turned the final page. We have Stella, grieving from the death of her fiancé in WW1, who, with her maid Annie, goes to stay with her pregnant sister Madeleine at her husband's country estate.

Madeleine is growing increasingly anxious, she's hearing a child crying in the night where there is no child, and toy soldiers keep appearing in her bed. Her mother-in-law and the estate staff don't beli
Ceecee
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 - 4 stars.

I thought this was an impressive debut novel but I did have some reservations. The year is 1917, the central character is Stella Marcham who is grief stricken following the death of her fiancé in the war. Her brother in law Hector asked her to go to his family home Greyswick because her pregnant sister Madeline is struggling. Stella takes the family maid Annie Burrows with her and so begins a series of unsettling events.

The characters in the story are well portrayed and easy to pic
Amanda
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s 1917 Stella Marcham has lost her fiancé in the war and is struggling to come to terms with her grief. Her pregnant sister Madeline is struggling with her pregnancy so her brother in law Hector asks her to stay at his family home at Greyswick. Accompanying Stella is the family’s maid Annie.

Soon after arriving at Greyswick strange events occur, toy soldiers appearing in their bedrooms and sounds of crying in the night!!

This is a great supernatural book. What secrets is this house
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
47577688._SY475_-2.jpg

So this was exactly what I have been after lately, a gothic read that sucked me right into its intriguing narrative almost instantly and this one had all the gothic feel's attached, a tragic backstory with an almost ominous sense of looming dread overshadowing all.
This is set in 1917 and our Protagonist returns home from her duties as a nurse after the death of her fiancee Gerald in the war.
Struggling with her lingering grief a change is most definitely needed so when her brother in law asks her as a favour to join h
Louise Wilson
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
England 1917. Stella Marcham is in mourning following the death of her fiancé, Gerald, during The Great War. Stella's brother-in-law asks her to visit Madeleine, (Stella's sister), who is "out of sorts". Madeleine had been sent to stay at her mother-in-laws house. Lady Brightwell is a widow. Stella and Madeleine experience strange happenings in the house. Are these happenings supernatural? Or is it human interference?

There are some characters you will like and some you will loathe in
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘Some Houses are Never at Peace’

I absolutely adore gothic fiction. The Lost Ones, by first time novelist Anita Frank, is an example of one of the finest novels I have read from this branch of the historical fiction genre. The Lost Ones contains gentle waves of the supernatural, and it represents an excellent study of grievances of war. Anita Frank’s debut novel proved its worth and more, The Lost Ones was a five star
The Nerd Daily
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie Deo

The Lost Ones takes the typical haunted house trope and elevates it to the next level with an atmospheric historical setting, smart lyrical writing, refreshingly unexpected plot developments, and compelling characters that the reader will invest in.

Michelle
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s 1917 Stella Marcham is grieving over the loss of her fiancé Gerald who died due to the war. When brother in Law Hector visits her and asks her if she can visit her sister Madeline and their country estate Greyswick. Her sister is struggling, and she is pregnant. So, she agrees and takes her maid Annie Burrows with her.
When she arrives, her distraught sister tells her of a baby crying in the night and Stella herself witness toy soldiers left in her bed and other mysteries start happening. T
Kate
This is an excellent and extremely atmospheric haunted house story set in 1917, a time stricken by loss due to the First World War. In this atmosphere of loss, grief, worry and traumatic memories, ghosts thrive. But what is it they're trying to say? I loved the characters and I really enjoyed exploring the house. I did guess the outcome and there was some predictability but nevertheless this novel is beautifully written and evocative of time and place, just what you need for these long dark even ...more
Jane
Nov 18, 2019 added it
I love a ghost story, but I am very picky when it comes to picking up new ones, because I was spoiled at a very young age when I read the work of a wonderful array of authors in the Virago Book of Ghost Stories and two more collections that followed that one.

This is a rare case of a new ghost story catching and holding my attention.

I was intrigued by the setting and by the central character.

The story is set in England, towards the end of the Great War; a time
Beadyjan
I was gripped by this haunting tale perfect for fans of The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell. It's a haunting, spooky story set in a rambling old mansion in the aftermath of world war one.

Stella a grieving young woman, having returned from nursing wounded soldiers and the loss of her fiance takes her maid Annie to join her married sister Madelaine in her new marital home where the pregnant young woman is struggling to fit in, balancing a difficult mother in law, with eerie goings-o
Thebooktrail
Visit the locations in the novel

Best book I've read this year - in a while actually.

Spooky, chilling, great twisty plot, lyrical writing, excellent dark female characters and the most atmospheric gothic mansion of all...

I spent the BEST day ever reading this - slowly getting accustomed to the house and those strange sounds of a baby crying, doors closing, shadows passing by windows and things moving....

I LOVED this book. There's no locations as such as it'
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
October is the perfect time to read a spooky ghost story. I live in Australia and even though the weather is heating up and daylight savings has begun, I'm still in the mood for a creepy read. Booklovers are engaged in Halloween themed reading challenges and spooky readathons all around the world and it's hard not to be tempted. A talented writer should be able to give their reader the chills no matter the weather or reading environment and debut author Anita Frank has certainly done so here. ...more
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I couldn’t not start my review off without mentioning the gorgeous cover for this book. It truly is stunning and instantly catches your eye.

The blurb also attracted my attention, especially as it is likened to the style of The Woman in Black. Who doesn’t love a spookishly style read, especially at this time of year when the nights are closing in.

Personally for me, this book is best enjoyed on an evening when it’s cold and dark outside with the lights dimmed inside. It rea
Nic
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Based on the synopsis, I wasn’t sure how creepy things were going to get, or if I’d even be able to read this at night! As much as there were some pretty creepy and spine tingling scenes that gave me goosebumps, for the most part this book is more of a mystery.

I really enjoyed the main character, Stella. Considering the time period of the book, she’s a really strong woman and I felt I could relate to her. Although I must admit, I couldn’t stand her sister, who came
K B
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars rounded up (https://kbbookreviews867789450.wordpr...)

The Lost Ones, by Anita Frank is an unsettling and harrowing tale of ghosts, lies, and secrets.

Home from serving as a nurse during the war, Stella Marcham is distraught and drowning in grief due to the loss of her fiance. However, when her brother-in-law asks her to visit her sister Madeleine to help settle her nerves during her pregnancy, Ste
Sheri
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Ones is an absolutely terrific ghost story in the classic mould. It’s all there: spooky goings-on in an inhospitable country house, an intrepid female protagonist, a Mrs Danvers-style intimidating housekeeper and even a sceptical male investigator determined to prove the strange happenings are all in the women’s minds.

It’s 1917 and narrator Stella is deep in grief for her fiancé Gerald. When Stella’s brother in law asks her to travel to Greyswyck, his family home, to be with
Vivienne
My thanks to HQ for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘The Lost Ones’ by Anita Frank in exchange for an honest review.

As its audiobook edition, narrated by Olivia Dowd, was published a few days in advance of the print editions, I obtained it and listened alongside reading the eARC.

This debut novel has been lovingly crafted in the tradition of classic works of Gothic fiction and proved very entertaining. Its tag line ‘some houses are never at peace’ was very evocative.

It is set in 1917 with
The Book Review Café
The Lost Ones is the exquisite debut novel from Anita Frank, it’s a historical, gothic novel, that’s haunting and steeped in atmosphere. Set in the latter days of the First World War Stella Marcham returns from the battlefields of France a broken woman following the recent death of her fiancé. Whilst recovering Her brother-in-law asks her to travel to Greyswick Hall, (along with her maid Annie Burrows), to keep her pregnant sister Madeleine company. On arriving at the imposing Greyswick, Stella ...more
Anya
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I won the paperback ARC in a giveaway and I have to say I wasn't expecting it to be a five star read.
The pacing and writing was fantastic and I read this in two sittings, because I needed to know what happened. It's not a short book either - 450 pages, however I flew through it.
It's easy enough to connect with the characters and all their different motifs made sense.
I tried to love Laura Purcell's gothic novels, but Anita Frank did a way better job in my opinion, not only focusing o
Keith Nixon
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well this is an interesting novel. I'll admit straight up I don't usually go for this type of work - crime, thrillers and ancient historical fiction are more my kind of thing. However, I'm broadly glad I did. The atmosphere is immediately brooding and gloomy.

Set in 1917 Stella has just returned from a stint on the battle front, nursing wounded and dying men. She's seen a lot of death and destruction and lost her fiance to boot and is not in the happiest of places, mentally or physica
Rachel Bridgeman
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spooktober
Thanks so much to Joe Thomas of HQ Stories for my gifted review copy of 'The Lost Ones'!

And what a perfect day to review it on! HALLOWEEN! As the witching hour approaches, what better company to find ourselves in than this debut offering from exciting new talent, Anita Frank?
As a huge fan of Susan Hill I was supremely excited to receive this glorious harcover copy and dived straight into the tale of a woman is both haunted, and haunting.

The book is creepily scary, i
Sue Plant
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this amazing book

i really couldnt put this one down at all,... a haunting storyline that just got better as you got further into the book

stella is recovering from losing her fiance in the great war...she was actually there when he succumbed to his injuries...she never quite recovered from the ordeal and was sent home to recover...she never went back to her nursing career....

madelaine, stella s
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
I watch TV shows and documentaries about old houses and estates, and I always thing "boy there must be plenty of ghosts in those halls, and skeletons in those family closets".

The Lost ones was what I imagine a gothic style house would be. Kind of a Jane Eyre kind of vibe with mysterious happenings upstairs.

What secrets is Greyswick hiding? What have the residents got to hide?

I was drawn into the mystery along with Stella, Annie and Mr Sheers - I knew something was going on, they knew something was going on, it was a matter of
peggy
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A DARK and gothic ghost story. The story follows Stella who has tragically lost her fiance in WW1. Her struggle with her grief sends her to stay with her sister Madeleine and this is where we are introduced to ghosts, secrets and a web of lies. An enjoyable read, predictable in places and and the narrative becomes stagnant at times. I am sure other readers will enjoy it more. It just did not grab me.
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
Jenny
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant - I was drawn right in from the very first page and found it difficult to put down, despite it being relatively long.

The story starts in a church - we meet Stella Marchand hearing her musings about church and religion and understand straight away her life has been touched by tragedy. The story is set in 1917, the First World War is underway and although this is not a story about the war as such, we get an insight into the wasted lives of those young and inexper
Annie Deo
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at my blog.

The Lost Ones takes the typical haunted house trope and elevates it to the next level with an atmospheric historical setting, smart lyrical writing, refreshingly unexpected plot developments and compelling characters that the reader will invest in.

Our protagonist Stella has been in mourning for her fiance and is valiantly resisting attempts by her mother and family doctor to incarcerate her in an asylum for hysterical women over her o
Also Alice
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every year as the nights turn cooler and longer, I begin looking for a wonderful new ghost story to whet my gothic appetite. This year, Anita Frank’s The Lost Ones fits the bill with perfect stylish flair.

Part ghost story, part murder mystery and part reflections on loss and bereavement, the Lost Ones immerses us in the creepy setting of sprawling English manor House, Haverton Hall, and its inhabitants- against the backdrop of the very real horrors of the World War I time-period. The narrator,
Jo Shaw
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I heard about this debut novel some months ago, so when HQ gave me the opportunity to read and review this in time for the Halloween publication day, I was overjoyed. From the very first page I could not put it down. Well, apart from not wanting to read it just before bed because it was so spookily tense that I was a little scared!

As debut novels go, this is an exceptional and eloquently written journey into a mysterious world on a country estate in 1917. The main protagonist Stella
Julia
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Ones by Anita Frank is a chilling, compulsive historical read that had me gripped from the start.
The novel is set in 1917 at the height of World War I. Already there had been terrible losses in the bloodbath at the Front. A generation of young men lost forever. Lives were devastated as loss consumed. “You learn to live with it. We all learn to carry on in the end.”
Females are seen as having weak constitutions when in reality they were suffering from grief or pregnancy. Their
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Wedding in December
  • How to Play Dead
  • So Lucky
  • Through the Wall
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • The Perfect Dress: a sweet, feel-good romance that will sweep you off your feet
  • The Confession