Start by marking “The Lost Ones” as Want to Read:
The Lost Ones

The Lost Ones

Some houses are never at peace.

England, 1917

Reeling from the death of her fiancé, Stella Marcham welcomes the opportunity to stay with her pregnant sister, Madeleine, at her imposing country mansion, Greyswick – but she arrives to discover a house of unease and her sister gripped by fear and suspicion.

Before long, strange incidents begin to trouble Stella – sobbing in
Published October 31st 2019 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Ones, please sign up.
Anita Sloan Hi Laurel, I’m so pleased you enjoyed it and thank you for taking the time to review. I’m really hoping there will be a sequel - watch this space! 👻
Anita Sloan Hi Jennifer, sorry for the delay in response. The book is available on Amazon.com. Hope this helps! 👻

Start your review of The Lost Ones
Kylie D
An intriguing book, The Lost Ones draws you in from the start and doesn't let go until you've turned the final page. We have Stella, grieving from the death of her fiancé in WW1, who, with her maid Annie, goes to stay with her pregnant sister Madeleine at her husband's country estate.

Madeleine is growing increasingly anxious, she's hearing a child crying in the night where there is no child, and toy soldiers keep appearing in her bed. Her mother-in-law and the estate staff don't believe her, and
Dem
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
. 3.5 Stars

. . Some houses are never at peace.

An atmospheric and enjoyable gothic tale, unnerving and entertaining in equal measures.

November is my month for good old fashioned ghost stories and this year in particular I have been indulging more than normal but its a case of “ a little of what you fancy does you good”.

The Lost Ones by Anita Frank is set in 1917 England. Stella Marchan welcomes the opportunity to stay with her pregnant sister after the death of her Fiancé. Madeleine resides at
Ceecee
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 - 4 stars.

I thought this was an impressive debut novel but I did have some reservations. The year is 1917, the central character is Stella Marcham who is grief stricken following the death of her fiancé in the war. Her brother in law Hector asked her to go to his family home Greyswick because her pregnant sister Madeline is struggling. Stella takes the family maid Annie Burrows with her and so begins a series of unsettling events.

The characters in the story are well portrayed and easy to pic
Amanda
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s 1917 Stella Marcham has lost her fiancé in the war and is struggling to come to terms with her grief. Her pregnant sister Madeline is struggling with her pregnancy so her brother in law Hector asks her to stay at his family home at Greyswick. Accompanying Stella is the family’s maid Annie.

Soon after arriving at Greyswick strange events occur, toy soldiers appearing in their bedrooms and sounds of crying in the night!!

This is a great supernatural book. What secrets is this house keeping?
Ev
Brenda
I have just turned the last page of The Lost Ones and it’s up there with my top reads for 2019! Anita Frank has written an amazing story which kept me enthralled from the very first page.

It was 1917 and England was reeling from the impact of the war; Stella Marcham had returned home from her nursing position at the front after losing her fiancé and her grief was all encompassing. The fact that the family doctor wanted to commit Stella to an institution was partly what convinced her to join her s
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Lost Ones by Anita Frank. (2019).

It's 1917 in England. Stella is struggling after the death of her fiancé and welcomes the opportunity to stay with her pregnant sister Madeleine at her country mansion, Greyswick. However Stella arrives to a house of unease and Madeleine gripped by fear. Quickly, strange incidents disturb Stella - sobbing in the night, little footsteps on the stairs - and she is drawn to the tragic history of the ho
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
47577688._SY475_-2.jpg

So this was exactly what I have been after lately, a gothic read that sucked me right into its intriguing narrative almost instantly and this one had all the gothic feel's attached, a tragic backstory with an almost ominous sense of looming dread overshadowing all.
This is set in 1917 and our Protagonist returns home from her duties as a nurse after the death of her fiancee Gerald in the war.
Struggling with her lingering grief a change is most definitely needed so when her brother in law asks her
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘Some Houses are Never at Peace’

I absolutely adore gothic fiction. The Lost Ones, by first time novelist Anita Frank, is an example of one of the finest novels I have read from this branch of the historical fiction genre. The Lost Ones contains gentle waves of the supernatural, and it represents an excellent study of grievances of war. Anita Frank’s debut novel proved its worth and more, The Lost Ones was a five star read all the way for me.

Beginning in the
Louise Wilson
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
England 1917. Stella Marcham is in mourning following the death of her fiancé, Gerald, during The Great War. Stella's brother-in-law asks her to visit Madeleine, (Stella's sister), who is "out of sorts". Madeleine had been sent to stay at her mother-in-laws house. Lady Brightwell is a widow. Stella and Madeleine experience strange happenings in the house. Are these happenings supernatural? Or is it human interference?

There are some characters you will like and some you will loathe in this story.
Lata
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was enjoyable, despite its kind of slow middle. I liked this gothic story of old family secrets and terrible deeds. The historical details were good, and I liked the way Stella's grief and very slow recovery were so difficult for her family to understand, and as was a the case then, and still, trauma and depression were not only dismissed, but not seen, except as irritating for everyone else.
Though I figured out a few of the secrets, I still liked this book.
Thebooktrail
the lost ones

Visit the locations in the novel

Best book I've read this year - in a while actually.

Spooky, chilling, great twisty plot, lyrical writing, excellent dark female characters and the most atmospheric gothic mansion of all...

I spent the BEST day ever reading this - slowly getting accustomed to the house and those strange sounds of a baby crying, doors closing, shadows passing by windows and things moving....

I LOVED this book. There's no locations as such as it's a fictional mansion in a fictional vil
Jeanne Adamek
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is sort of hard for me to rate. I think that I probably would have rated it higher if I had been able to read big chunks of it at a time instead of small bits and pieces... I still say that the story, main character and the house in this story gave me feelings of reading Victoria Holt. I would recommend this to anyone who loves gothic novels with a touch of the paranormal. Honestly, I found this book to be a hidden jewel and hope theat Anita Frank writes a new novel soon!
The Nerd Daily
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie Deo

The Lost Ones takes the typical haunted house trope and elevates it to the next level with an atmospheric historical setting, smart lyrical writing, refreshingly unexpected plot developments, and compelling characters that the reader will invest in.

Our protagonist Stella has been in mourning for her fiance and is valiantly resisting attempts by her mother and family doctor to incarcerate her in an asylum for hysterical women over her on
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
A historical ghost story with such feeling! The characters were superbly drawn, the world building rich and imaginative and the story absolutely compelling. I would highly recommend to fans of Susan Hill.
Heidi
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
If you like Downton Abbey and ghost stories, then this mix of historical fiction, a grand old English estate setting and supernatural happenings should be right up your alley!

THE LOST ONES takes part during the dark days of WWI, which has robbed our main protagonist Stella of her fiancé. Even though her grief seemed very justified to me, her family have decided that enough time has now passed to put up a stiff upper lip and get on with her life again, and the family doctor even threatens to hav
MaryannC. Book Freak
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.75 Stars

First off, I was contemplating not finishing this for me it seemed that it did not start picking up till about page 130. I guess I am too impatient hoping that a book will hook me immediately and some do, but sometimes it takes a little time to build up like this one did for me. Thankfully I was rewarded with a fantastic read of a well written plot, suspense and sometimes a chill or two up my spine. Recommended.
Michelle
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s 1917 Stella Marcham is grieving over the loss of her fiancé Gerald who died due to the war. When brother in Law Hector visits her and asks her if she can visit her sister Madeline and their country estate Greyswick. Her sister is struggling, and she is pregnant. So, she agrees and takes her maid Annie Burrows with her.
When she arrives, her distraught sister tells her of a baby crying in the night and Stella herself witness toy soldiers left in her bed and other mysteries start happening. T
Dan Myatt
Turns out my review for this never saved! I can't really remember what I said about it now!!

I enjoyed the book, its sense of creaping menace and the fact its an actual ghost story helps no end.

Well written and greatly enjoyed!
Kate
This is an excellent and extremely atmospheric haunted house story set in 1917, a time stricken by loss due to the First World War. In this atmosphere of loss, grief, worry and traumatic memories, ghosts thrive. But what is it they're trying to say? I loved the characters and I really enjoyed exploring the house. I did guess the outcome and there was some predictability but nevertheless this novel is beautifully written and evocative of time and place, just what you need for these long dark even ...more
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
4 Stars
Jane
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I love a ghost story, but I am very picky when it comes to picking up new ones, because I was spoiled at a very young age when I read the work of a wonderful array of authors in the Virago Book of Ghost Stories and two more collections that followed that one.

This is a rare case of a new ghost story catching and holding my attention.

I was intrigued by the setting and by the central character.

The story is set in England, towards the end of the Great War; a time when so many people were haunted by
Amanda
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up. This was a really fun gothic tale. It was somewhat predictable but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Jan
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was gripped by this haunting tale perfect for fans of The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell. It's a haunting, spooky story set in a rambling old mansion in the aftermath of world war one.

Stella a grieving young woman, having returned from nursing wounded soldiers and the loss of her fiance takes her maid Annie to join her married sister Madelaine in her new marital home where the pregnant young woman is struggling to fit in, balancing a difficult mother in law, with eerie goings-on in the hou
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
I watch TV shows and documentaries about old houses and estates, and I always thing "boy there must be plenty of ghosts in those halls, and skeletons in those family closets".

The Lost ones was what I imagine a gothic style house would be. Kind of a Jane Eyre kind of vibe with mysterious happenings upstairs.

What secrets is Greyswick hiding? What have the residents got to hide?

I was drawn into the mystery along with Stella, Annie and Mr Sheers - I knew something was going on, they knew something w
Sheri
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Ones is an absolutely terrific ghost story in the classic mould. It’s all there: spooky goings-on in an inhospitable country house, an intrepid female protagonist, a Mrs Danvers-style intimidating housekeeper and even a sceptical male investigator determined to prove the strange happenings are all in the women’s minds.

It’s 1917 and narrator Stella is deep in grief for her fiancé Gerald. When Stella’s brother in law asks her to travel to Greyswyck, his family home, to be with her pregnan
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I couldn’t not start my review off without mentioning the gorgeous cover for this book. It truly is stunning and instantly catches your eye.

The blurb also attracted my attention, especially as it is likened to the style of The Woman in Black. Who doesn’t love a spookishly style read, especially at this time of year when the nights are closing in.

Personally for me, this book is best enjoyed on an evening when it’s cold and dark outside with the lights dimmed inside. It really adds to the atmosphe
Nicola F (Bronte Babe Blog)
The Lost Ones is a solid, if not spectacular, debut novel. Combining familiar tropes of ghost stories and Gothic fiction with war literature, it keeps you reading, but not always terribly invested in the events.The book is an interesting mix of many things (The Woman in White; The Woman in Black; Rebecca; The Yellow Wallpaper) but lacks its own voice and ideas. I actually felt that where the novel succeeded the most was during the moments which focused on the horror, reality, and impact of a war ...more
Nic
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Based on the synopsis, I wasn’t sure how creepy things were going to get, or if I’d even be able to read this at night! As much as there were some pretty creepy and spine tingling scenes that gave me goosebumps, for the most part this book is more of a mystery.

I really enjoyed the main character, Stella. Considering the time period of the book, she’s a really strong woman and I felt I could relate to her. Although I must admit, I couldn’t stand her sister, who came across as i
Joanne Tinkler (Mamajomakes)
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stella Marcham is grieving for her fiancè Gerald who died in her arms after being heavily wounded during the Great War. Her grief is absolute and all consuming so her sister Madeleine is called to come and help her through it. With Madeleine’s guidance, Stella starts to feel stronger though the thought of Gerald is never far away.

When Hector, Madeleine’s husband, asks Stella to stay with his wife at his family home she jumps at the chance to be with her sister again. Taking her maid Annie with
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
4.5 Stars rounded up (https://kbbookreviews867789450.wordpr...)

The Lost Ones, by Anita Frank is an unsettling and harrowing tale of ghosts, lies, and secrets.

Home from serving as a nurse during the war, Stella Marcham is distraught and drowning in grief due to the loss of her fiance. However, when her brother-in-law asks her to visit her sister Madeleine to help settle her nerves during her pregnancy, Stella jumps at the chance.

However, as Stella settles in, as much as she can with the dire comp
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Full Disclosure
  • Snowdrops on Rosemary Lane
  • The Other Daughter
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • In Five Years
  • In Her Eyes
A farmer’s daughter from Shropshire, Anita Frank studied English and American History at the University of East Anglia before moving to London to work in media analysis and communications. Frank currently lives in Berkshire with her husband and three children.