Start by marking “Tea at the End of the World” as Want to Read:
Tea at the End of the World

Read Book* *Different edition

Tea at the End of the World

(Storming Love: Meteor Strikes #5)

Herc thought he had the perfect life: a great partner and a meaningful career as a psychotherapistuntil his partner left him a week ago and Herc became too depressed to see his clients. When a random meteorite punched a tidy hole in his cars engine, it seemed like the world had it in for him, but bumping into Pyotr, the handsome older man whos moved in a couple of doors ...more
Published April 16th 2019 (first published March 24th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Tea at the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea at the End of the World

Start your review of Tea at the End of the World
Kaje Harper
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, mystery, scifi
This book was unexpected, from the characters, particularly astrophysicist Pyotr, to the plot which went somewhere I was not anticipating, to some of the small details. There are some lovely humorous touches, some passages that strike deep with the clarity of the language, and a sweetness to the romance as it unfolds. Despite being a SciFi apocalyptic scenario, this book has a positive feel to it that I appreciated.

Herc is a good guy, a psychotherapist who perhaps didn't pay enough attention to
.Lili.
 photo image.jpg1_zpswltcra3u.jpg

I'll start off by saying this story didn't turn out at all as I had expected. I went expecting a science fiction book with a dark tone but what was delivered was a contemporary romance with relatable characters. And I loved every second of it.

My highlights:

-GREAT set of characters- both main and supporting. They were caring, smart, and selfless. Nicely done, Mr. Yang!
-The plot. I'd still classify this under contemporary, but it's different from anything else out there.
-Snarky humor. Humor will
CrabbyPatty
Atom Yang had me at "light-hearted, apocalyptic romance." In a brief 106 page novella, Yang brings together psychotherapist Hercules and Pyotr, a Slavic astrophysicist on the eve of ..... well, the destruction of life as we know it, courtesy of a huge meteor and the resulting tsunami. The cast of characters includes blonde Nestori, a gorgeous "fag stag" and widowed Pihla ("a suburban Madonna in pink") and her son Sami.

The resulting story is equal parts lyrical, unpredictable, beautiful,
Mark
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The end of the world is nigh! No, Im not going all religious on you but what would you do if you met the love of your life under these circumstances? Well, this is the fate facing Herc and Pyotr.

I did something with this book that I dont normally do and that is I dove in blind not knowing what to really expect. I was delighted how this story turned out for me personally. Under any other circumstances the romance between Herc and Pyotr would have been a sweet, angst free romance but put them into
Nic
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, collection
"I don't love you because there's the promise of tomorrow. I love you because there's today."

There is something very special about Atom Yang's writing. He weaves a beautiful story, full of depth, with unique characters from different backgrounds. There are wonderful cultural traditions, and fascinating dialogue, making his characters a standout.

When I started this book, I had expectations of science fiction (based on the book cover, and the title/characters names), but what I found inside was a
A.M. Leibowitz
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, heartbreaking, and sweet

This was exactly what I needed to pull myself out of mundane life. Lovely and well-written.

Im a sucker every time for a heavily character-driven story. This isnt long, and yet somehow its the perfect length to get to know both Herc and Pyotr.

I laughed. A lot. The nerdy references sprinkled throughout are delightful. And of course, I liked them even better because theyre from my era. Im not going to spoil any of them, but lets just say that a reference to a
Ulysses Dietz
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meteor Shower, Herc & Pyotr (Storming Love series)
By Atom Yang
MLR Press, 2016
Four stars

When a meteorite destroys your car, you should take it as an omen.

I loved this book, but I confess that the context (you know, apocalypse) made it harder to embrace the romance. That said, Atom Yang is a wonderful writer. He handles dialogue and humor with great elegance. No nonsense, no excess, just crisp, smart, incisive prose.

Hercules, a forty-something Chinese-American psychotherapist with an unlikely
QUEERcentric Books
Reviewed by Brandyjo Newton for QUEERcentric Books

Atom Yang is a relatively new author, but Storming Love: Herc and Pyotr blew me away! I cant believe he only has one other book published.

I began reading this as soon as it showed up on my kindle. I. Could. Not. Put. It. Down. I even growled at the husband when he tried to get my attention for something. Yangs writing is descriptive and captivating, and it just sucked me right in.

I. COULD. NOT. PUT. IT. DOWN.

My absolute favorite part of the book
Elisa Rolle
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2016 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: Red Envelope & Herc and Pyotr by Atom Yang
1) This author was new to me, and I was very pleasantly surprised by these two novellas, particularly Storming Love: Meteor Strikes ~ Herc & Pyoter. I am an avid science fiction reader and particularly love the works of Connie Willis, whose shorter fiction often combines hapless but sincere protagonists, screwball comedy and speculative storylines to great effect. I do not think this author's novella is in
Andi Van
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I was not at all disappointed to find that the author's engrossing writing style held as true for this release as it did for the last I read. I actually went through this story writing down reactions as I went -- or at least that's what I'd intended to do, but I kept getting sucked into the story and forgetting to make notes.

I love the characters in this book, including the secondary characters. They're extremely believable. I'm actually a little disappointed that we
JJ
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo 11014879_970988406253334_3984928259579074216_n_zpsm8c6semk.jpg
This book was provided free in exchange for a fair and honest review for Love Bytes.

This book begins with Herc and Pyotr meeting and having tea together. At first Herc believes that Pyotr doesnt even like guys. Herc is not entirely confident and doesnt notice that Pyotr likes him since his previous boyfriend had done very little to inspire confidence in him sexually. It seems like Herc is ready to give up on finding love, so when he and Pyotr start to hit it off, the situation is unbelievable
Joyfully Jay
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kirsty
A Joyfully Jay review.

Yang has a very interesting and distinctive writing style, full of comprehensive descriptions and ingenuity. Herc and Pyotr asks the reader to respond intelligently to the content of the story and events and I love to read something that challenges me mentally. The conversations between Herc and Pyotr are informed, though there are certainly light-hearted moments, like when they visit the observatory only to find a rowing boat in a tree! For me, there was an
Brad Lane
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good story, more than your typical romance. Hercules, a Chinese-American gay man living in California, has just broken up with his boyfriend Jason. He hears a crash outside and finds that a small meteorite has blasted through the engine of his car. While checking it out, he notices the new neighbor, Pyotr, running barefoot. Intrigued by the man, he goes to Pyotr's house the next day to introduce himself. They quickly find they have similar interests and quickly become friends. But two ...more
Bethany
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a ARC for an honest review.

In this book we meet Herc who is a psychotherapist with a great career, and living a good life with his partner up until Jason leaves him. Now officially depressed Herc cannot get himself to do anything, so when his car is damaged by a small meteorite then that is just the icing on the cake. Herc then meet his new neighbour Pyotr who know something about meteorites. So begins the story of two geeky men, who have a lot in common and find themselves
Anne Marie Crookes
Herc, a psychotherapist meets Pyotr an astrophysicist, while he is mourning his relationship with his ex, Jason. They meet over the hood of Herc's car, which has a hole in it made by a meteorite. So begins the story of two geeky men, who have a lot in common and find themselves more interested the more they get to know each other.

The thing I love most about Atom Yang's writing is that you keep learning about intriguing things. In this case, astronomy, culture, love, friendship and how humans
Gillian Kevern
I received a free copy of this book from the author in preparation for an interview which you can read here.

I really enjoyed Atom's deft characterization in Red Envelope and was overjoyed to find that same quality in Herc and Pyotr, a very different story with a very different cast. I went from happily charmed to on the edge of my seat throughout the story's abrupt transformation from bittersweet end of relationship/start of something new to end of the world scenario--literally. Even knowing
Suzanne Ellis
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review of the book:
This was a very unexpected but totally charming M/M romance. The author is very quick- witted, as can be seen in how fast the book reads. It was less focused on the physical coming together of the two main characters, Peytor and Herc, and more on who they actually were and how they interacted coming from two distintively different races and backgrounds.
The apocalyptic part of the story was great, not
Otterpuss
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely sweet story interspersed with humour and lessons in different cultures, which I loved by the way.
The characters and plot is unexpected and often went off in a direction I wasn't expecting.
Its quite unusual and the writing style is delightful, complete with little details that really made the story come to life.  I really enjoyed it and will look out for more by this author.

Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Terri Jones
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special-ones
Do you know how hard it is to write a great apocalypse Romance? This is short (novella I think) and made me laugh and hit me right in the feels and is so wrenchingly tender to the neighbors while also being funny that I wish Atom Yang would, I don't know, use a time machine maybe, to have more stories for me to read!
W.S. Long
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, funny, and touching

Atom really writes the most interesting characters and this one is a book full of them. Place a love story in an impending disaster? Check. Write about a broken heart? Check. Have a happy ending? Check. Now what are you waiting for if you haven't read this story of Hercules and Pyotr?
Allison
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a quick, fun read. It had great characters and a really different story. I was hooked, I couldn't put it down. I couldn't wait to see what happened in their story. I would definitely recommend it. I received an ARC for an honest review.
Ike Rose-author
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story

Officially a rollercoaster ride. I laughed, I sympathized, I cried, and I was totally engrossed by the meteor and survival!
Marge
A bit of a strange idea, but nicely done.
L.D.
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I dislike apocalypse themed books, but I took a chance on this book and I am so happy I did. Its a gorgeous book, beautifully written by an author who truly loves language. I didnt feel like I was reading a story so much as I felt like I was experiencing a special moment. Herc and Pyotr are well crafted and well developed characters. They are average men dealing with extraordinary circumstances. Despite all the obstacles, they fall in love and stay in love. Their love was strong and the support ...more
MariF
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally well written. Read in one sitting with a baited breath.
Pyotr's character traits were accurately captured with his tea drinking with sour cherries preserves, sugar cubes, cookies and chocolates. And his attitude towards life and death.
My husband still buys Alenka candies and make our own sour cherries preserves. Habits. But no samovar for us, never had it in Russia either. That's something that my generation did not use, at least city dwellers, but country folks might still use it.
S.A. Crow
I like his writing style, so enjoyed this (reminds me a bit of Roe Horvat), though this one got odd halfway through, moving suddenly from slice-of-life to survival story, and with that accelerating the progression of both Herc's relationships. So a bit disjointed, not exactly believable, but enjoyable.
Mia Sciberras
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is one that is fast-paced but you'll want to read it slowly in order to savor every scene, every moment, every tea-infused sip. It's unlike probably every book you've read before, improbable yet plausible, reminding us that ultimately we are ants under the stomping boots of the universe. A thoroughly entertaining love story with a twist. 4.5/5 stars rounded up to 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jo
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ku
Interesting story, I liked it.
Storm Caywood
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
Unique and delightful.
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Full reviewage on Prism Book Alliance®

Why couldnt it have been a pretty shooting star that vaporized all sparkly in the atmosphere, so I could make a wish? Instead, itd dropped a deuce on my perfectly maintained car.

Oh, Herc, weve all been there. Well, maybe not exactly, but I can identify with your shocked self.

Im already liking you and your intelligent, snarky, heartbroken self. Yeah, more on that last one later.

Nestori, you are a fantastic friend to our man, Herc. Supportive, intuitive, if a

• American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • Upside Down
  • The Christmas Deal
  • The Arch-Mage's Firebird
  • Wolf of the Northern Star (The Wolfkin Saga #2)
  • Wolves of Black Pine  (The Wolfkin Saga #1)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • The Last Text
  • Band Sinister
  • Home Improvement
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
Atom was born to Chinese immigrant parents who wanted better opportunities for their children who are obviously not taking advantage of their great and many sacrifices.

Storming Love: Meteor Strikes (5 books)
  • Angel & Griff (Storming Love: Meteor Strikes, #1)
  • Jakob & Ivo (Storming Love: Meteor Strikes, #2)
  • Nick & Meichol & Corin (Storming Love: Meteor Strikes, #3)
  • Serge & Een (Storming Love: Meteor Strikes, #4)

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...
“The call-and-response rituals of geeks were a thing of beauty, and allowed said geeks to identify each other across time and space.” 0 likes
“Hey, Doc, we better back up. We don’t have enough road to get up to eighty-eight,” I quoted as I slid into the passenger seat.

“‘Roads?’” he replied in an excellent impression of Christopher Lloyd’s eccentric scientist. “‘Where we’re going, we don’t need roads!’”

0 likes