Start by marking “Call It What You Want” as Want to Read:
Call It What You Want

Call It What You Want

New York Times bestselling author Brigid Kemmerer pens a new emotionally compelling story about two teens struggling in the space between right and wrong.

When his dad is caught embezzling funds from half the town, Rob goes from popular lacrosse player to social pariah. Even worse, his father's failed suicide attempt leaves Rob and his mother responsible for his care.

Eve
Published June 25th 2019 by Bloomsbury YA

jessica
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the other day, i took a break from reading this to go run some errands. and as i was in the produce section, looking at the bananas, all i could think was 'maegan and rob better live happily ever after or, so help me, someone will hear about it.' if a book that prompts that kind of angst doesnt deserve five stars, then i dont know what does.

i think this story tackles really important topics for teens, such as loneliness, taking on/feeling the burdens of your parents, the cost of a mistake, and
megs_bookrack
**4.5-stars**

Rob, a once popular high school lacrosse player, has fallen from grace but not on account of his own actions.

His father, the local financial planner, was caught red-handed swindling from clients and everyone suspects Rob knew. Even though he did intern at his father's office, he swears he had no idea what was going on.

As everything is taken from his family, his father attempts suicide, leaving him in a partially vegetative state. As if this weren't bad enough, Rob now finds himself
Brigid
Jun 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Rob and Maegan's story is out in the world today, friends! The idea for this book started when I said to myself, "What if I took Robin Hood ... and put him in a modern day high school?" I hope you love the story, and I can't wait to hear what you think. Thank you all so much for being a part of my dream.
Warda
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4.5🌟]

I’m gonna need Brigid Kemmerer to never stop writing her contemporaries. Her stories fill my soul right up.

They’re always so intense, so heart-aching, with such wonderfully flawed and beautiful characters that are alive on those pages.
She has a knack for writing stories that centre around broken teens coming from broken homes and having the readers follow them on their journey.
What I like is that by the end of it, these characters aren’t healed. But they are on their way to carving the
Lola
I am always impressed when authors are able to successfully alternate between genres. I have read A CURSE SO DARK AND LONELY from this author not so long ago and it was an incredible fantasy. CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT is a contemporary romance devoid of any magic and curses, but it’s a gripping story nonetheless and proof that authors should be encouraged to explore multiple genres and topics. Sometimes they fail, but they still deserve points for trying. In her case, Brigid Kemmerer can write anyth ...more
✨ A ✨
“I’m not lost. I want to do the right thing.”

“Most of us do,” she says ruefully. “The problem is that it doesn’t always look the same for all of us”

My love for Brigid Kemmerer grows and grows with every book of hers that I read. Her books are addictive and her characters are precious ✨

This book was basically like a modern day retelling of Robin Hood. A big theme of this story was ‘what is right and wrong’. And it was something that I haven't read about for a long time in YA.

“You don’t get to
C.G. Drews
My hEART belongs to Brigid Kemmerer contemporaries ok. I will full on softly cry on your arm right now, because I really loved this book, plus it stressed me most wholly out. And then the ending was the perfect mix of heartbreak and satisfying roundedness that I just want melt into this book and thank it for existing.

I did actually think this was part of the Letters to the Lost series, but it isn't! So you can read this one without having read LTTL -- except tbh you should go read LTTL because
Tucker
Edit: I was lucky enough to meet Brigid at a local singing!

⬆ aww look at me being an awkward sausage

Many thanks to Bloomsbury for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterst | |
Sylvie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

AAHHH I LOVED THIS SO FRIGGIN' MUCH
Also, I'm crying. I don't know if it's a happy cry or sad cry, but I am crying.

I'll probably write a review when the level of my adrenaline has lowered and I'm not sobbing like a crazy anymore.

*************
Storytime:

My best friend gave me this book as a birthday present and I asked her out of curiosity why this book in particular (because it was already in my tbr but I never told her about it) so she said: ''Easy, I know your favorite genre is young ad
emma
I do not want to review this all that much, so I am going to treat myself to writing a couple sentences and moving ON. Positive vibes ONLY. Negative reviews are so YESTERDAY.

(Just kidding. Can you imagine? I’d have to just...stop writing reviews altogether. And we all know I’m addicted to the fame and fortune.)

If you want more of me writing about a Brigid Kemmerer book I did not care for, you can read this. Or this.

We’re not on awesome terms, to be honest.

I thought these characters were so inco
alana ♡
"But sometimes I think everyone needs to take a long look in the mirror before they go main an issue about someone else's life."

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

tw: suicide attempt, talk of abortion, bullying

Hands down, this is my favorite Brigid Kemmerer book so far! Her contemporary novels feed my soul every damn time. And I should have known that this would be the cure to my reading slump, considering I was hooked on this story by page five. Kemmerer has a way with words that makes her books almost impossi
may ❀
book #6 for summerathon, under the challenge of: "a beachy read"

brigid kemmerer knew that i hadn't cried from a book in a while and she was like 'lol bish just wait till you see what i have planned for you'

can anyone else write sad, soft, emo boys like her?? the only correct answer is no

rtc

also this is a buddy read with my little bird
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
**ARC sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I won’t lie to you guys-I begged for this book. It wasn’t classy. It wasn’t dignified. And it was honestly a bit pathetic-but IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT. This book? It’s gold. I loved every minute of it.

I was sitting in Tennessee, on vacation, and legitimately had zero time to read. My daughter has always been a peculiar sleeper, and the circumstances of our vacation led to my husband and I’s sanity to be tested. She’s turning two
Hillary
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, contemporary
My brain clicks, and for an instant, he’s not Rob Lachlan now, he’s Rob Lachlan from a year ago. We were from two different words once: popular boy and nerdy girl. We’re still from two different worlds: cop’s daughter and criminal’s son.

I enjoyed some parts of this book but the rest was a bit boring. I probably would have dnfed it if I hadn’t received an arc via Netgalley, and I’m grateful because I would have missed so many good parts otherwise, but I’m also not. Can you see the dilemma?
The m
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
4,5 “moral choices” stars

“Other people don’t have the challenges we have, Owen. But that doesn’t mean they don’t have their own.”

This is my fourth Brigid Kemmerer’s book and to this day she has never disappointed me.

What I like above all else is her knack to draw us into nuanced stories. Her characters always come in shades of grey with inner conflicts, moral choices to make. They are beautiful but flawed and have to grow up, become wiser.

Brigid Kemmerer writes about real life!

In “Call
Shaun Hutchinson
SO FREAKING GOOD. Brigid writes with so much heart, and I just love every single book she writes.
Kat | Rustic Pages
Call It What You Want is a heartfelt story about two teenagers struggling through a hard family life after being near isolated by their classmates. The author does a fantastic job of presenting hard topics and moral quandaries that demonstrate how the world is not black and white, but all shades of grey. The characters are forced into tough decisions that begs the age old question, is it okay to do something wrong for the right reasons?

This book showed how easy it is to misunderstand a person or
Shehzeen Muzaffar
I HAVE NEVER READ A BOOK SO FAST!
I feel like she is one of those authors that never disappoints and I absolutely love her books. I dont love comtemporary that much but her book always always makes me swoon and smile and happy. Call it what you want was really really good. And i was praying to book Gods to give Rob and Magean a happy ending!!!

Because taylor swift? Anyone? No? Okay😂💁🏻♀
Sophie Elaina
Call It What You Want is the fourth book that I've read from Brigid Kemmerer. I first fell in love with her writing style in Letters To The Lost. That was the first contemporary that I honestly thoroughly enjoyed but, before that the contemporary genre was a mystery to me. And since then I've vowed to pick up everyone of her new releases and she has done me no wrong so far, this book being no exception to that. Kemmerer just knows how to suck you in and make you care for her characters so much t ...more
Candace Robinson
I've only read A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer, but I think I'm starting to become a fan! I also saw her speak at a pannel last year and she seriously seems like such a funny and an incredibly down-to-earth person!

Two character POVs. First we get Maegan, who I will admit I was frustrated with at times, but I genuinely did get the way she thought. She was brought up by a cop with a sister who was good at everything, of course the pressure would be on. But now we get to my baby boy,
L A i N E Y
”My life has collapsed to the point where a ninety-nine-cent cup of coffee with a stranger is meaningful.”

I have never read a novel with a more appropriate title. Because I can’t tell you why or how, if you ask me, but I am really impressed by this book...

So call it what you want, this gets five stars from me.

RTC
Lisa
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
I blew through this in no time because - per usual - Brigid Kemmerer writes compelling situations, nuanced characters and really freaking adorable romances.

If you're looking for a great contemporary, look no further.
ℨαrα
Brigid Kemmerer is the only contemporary author that I trust wholly and completely. And I would lay my life down for her characters. So...no pressure.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

Kemmerer won me over years ago with her Elemental series and with each new book, regardless of the genre, she continues to wow me. With her fleshed out characters, stand out story lines and heartfelt messages, she is an author I count on to give me a good story that is every bit as irresistible as it is hard to put down once started.

I adored this book. So different from what I was expecting. So much more heart. So many emotions that so many people, regardless of being in the same shoe
Nadhira Satria
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This was such a good read!!! I mean nothing can top off More than we can tell and I think letters to the lost is better than this one but I still love it nonetheless
Jenn
This book was heavy. But I absolutely loved it. It has heartbreak, love, betrayal, backstabbing, lies, and just drama but not stupid high school drama. No, this drama is the kind that just suffocates your heart until you don't think you can breathe until it leaves you gasping. This kind of drama tears apart your family and friends.

Meet Rob and Maegan - both have had a hard time of things lately for very different reasons. Maegan was caught cheating on the SATs and because of that, many students
Ashleyjayne
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, tbr-pile
I really enjoyed call it what you want by Brigid Kemmerer and was quick reading it within a couple of hours, the story and the characters i totally connected with and fell in love with them. i really enjoyed Rob and Maegans characters and there relationship throughout the book.
rob is the sweet character that sucked me in and made me fall in love with him , he had his life ruined by his fathers mistakes, he lost hes friends and his popularity.

Maegan is the girl that had her life ruined from one
maram ☂︎
summerathon day 7:-
challenge 6: drink your favorite summery drink while reading

buddy read with my lil chef
Jaime Arkin
Devoured this in just a few hours!! I could not stop reading!!
Susan's Reviews
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maegen and Rob are outcasts: Maegan cheated on her SATS and Rob's father defrauded almost the entire town of their life savings through a fraudulent investment scheme.

They've banished themselves to the fringes of high school society, keeping a low profile and counting the days to the end of the school year. Things only get more complicated when Maegan's sister Samantha returns home from college, pregnant and emotionally out of control. The story starts to build with tension, with each new layer
Young Adult Conte...: #13 Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer 30 53 Aug 12, 2019 05:11AM

• Hope and Other Punchlines
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • Start Here
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Untitled
  • Through the White Wood
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Jack of Hearts
  • The Lovely and the Lost
Brigid Kemmerer is the New York Times bestselling author of dark and alluring Young Adult novels like A Curse So Dark and Lonely, More Than We Can Tell, and Letters to the Lost (Bloomsbury), as well as paranormal YA stories like The Elemental Series and Thicker Than Water (Kensington). A full time writer, Brigid lives in the Baltimore area with her husband, her boys, her dog, and her cat. When she ...more
“One choice doesn’t determine your whole future.” 5 likes
“Other people don’t have the challenges we have... but that doesn’t mean they don’t have their own.” 4 likes