Start by marking “The Search Party” as Want to Read:
The Search Party

The Search Party

A twisty, electrifying new thriller from the author of The New Neighbors and The Liar's Room...

The entire town thinks Sadie Saunders is dead. Missing now for a week, they say she was murdered. And they think they know who did it.

Aware of the suspicion that surrounds them - and one of them in particular - Sadie's five best friends vow to find out the truth. So they pack th
Published August 18th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Search Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search Party

Start your review of The Search Party
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CAPTIVATING, STUNNING, HEAD SPINNING, TWISTY AND MIND BLOWING!

Five friends decide to go for search party to find Sadie Saunders: Boyfriend, two best girlfriends, brother and boyfriend’s bestie. They think the police officers have no idea where they’re searching for but they know Sadie better than anyone which means they’re so much closer to find the truth about her escape. Wait a minute. Did she really run away?

And let’s learn more about those loyal five teenagers: they truly love her, don’t th
Ceecee
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4-5 stars rounded up.

This is another really good read from Simon Lelic. Sadie Saunders, 16, has been been missing for six days. Her friends Abigail Marshall, Cora Briggs, Fareed Hussein (known as Fash), Mason Payne and Sadie’s brother Luke are convinced the police are looking for her in the wrong place. They are currently using divers and searching the river towards the estuary in this harbour, seaside resort. The friends believe she is in the woods and so form a search party and slope off with
preoccupiedbybooks
3.5 stars rounded up!
A creepy and atmospheric crime thriller about a missing girl, her five friends, and the Detective trying to uncover the truth.

16 year old Sadie Saunders has been missing for 6 days., and is presumed by most of the town to be dead. Her friends (including her boyfriend and her twin) think that the police are searching in the wrong place, so form their own 'search party' and go looking for her in the woods. A few days later they will need rescuing too! What happened in the wood
Susanne  Strong
Five teenagers set off in the woods to search for their best friend Sadie who went missing days prior. Though the police are investigating, the teens are sure the police have no idea what they're doing.

The issue of course is that every single member of “The Search Party” has a secret and in this case, it turns out to be deadly.

When one of the teens winds up dead, everything goes awry, including their plans to find the truth, making this whodunit even crazier than you could imagine.

Atmospheric,
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
After having read and enjoyed The Liar’s Room by Simon Lelic, I’ve been looking forward to The Search Party, which I found equally compelling.

Sadie has been missing for a week, and the town believes she’s been murdered and they know who did it; however, Sadie’s best friends have other ideas.

The best friends are suspects with secrets, and they head to the woods where Sadie is last seems to figure things out. A search party of sorts…Except it becomes something else, something even more sinister.

Th
Carolyn
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a tantalizing, gripping and tragic mystery. This well-plotted story kept me baffled and its shocking, unexpected twists made for an entertaining and thrilling read. I notice that there were some mixed reviews with the main criticism being for the unrealistic and rambling voices of the teenagers. I found this one of the book's major strengths. I thought the author captured this part of the narration extremely well and made their conversations seem authentic and believable to me ...more
Diana • Book of Secrets
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to review THE SEARCH PARTY. Unfortunately this book wasn't my cup of tea. I was intrigued by the premise, and the intro sure grabbed me — until the teenagers started their monologues. Their chapters were just ramblings (they were speaking that way to the detectives?), and honestly I could barely differentiate between the speakers. I did enjoy Detective Fleet's character, and it was a relief to return to his POV. I read about 40% and sk ...more
Carolyn
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sixteen year old Sadie Saunders has gone missing, sparking a massive police hunt for her in the woods around her coastal English town. When she hasn't been found by day six of the search, five of her friends, including her boyfriend, twin brother decide to form their own search party to look for her in the woods they know so well. Two days later they will need rescuing themselves.

The novel is written as a series of interviews as each of the teenage search party gives an account of what happened
Amanda
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sadie Saunders has gone missing, she has been missing g for 6 days and her close friends decide to go looking for her in the woods as they think the police are looking in the wrong place.

The police are called out to the woods where they discover the teenagers and a body that is not Sadie. What has happened to the distraught teenagers?

I was hooked by this book and stayed up late, desperate to find out how this great story ends, turning the pages not knowing how it would end!!

Gary
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I have read 'The Liar's Room' and 'The House' by this author and really enjoyed them but unfortunately this one didn't quite have the same feeling for me. Maybe I could't relate to the 16 year old characters.
The more I read the more I started to enjoy it but not quite enough to score higher.
The story is about a search party set up by the friends of missing 16-year-old Sadie Saunders. Her five friends set out in the woods to find Sadie, all are friends and they are also suspects. And not everyone
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
This is a police procedural focusing on a missing teenager from a small town.
Local popular teenager Sadie is missing and here DI Fleet returns to his former home town to investigate her disappearance.
He’s the lead investigator on the case and he’s determined to uncover the truth.
To further confuse things Sadie’s friends decided the police were looking in the wrong place and formed there own search party taking them deep into the woods.
This forbidden excursion unfortunately ends in tragic circums
Lou
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Search Party is award-winning crime writer Simon Lelic’s latest psychological thriller, and although it has a bit of a teen/young adult feel to it I found it every bit as enthralling and all-consuming as his previous books. Sixteen-year-old Sadie Saunders has been missing from her small-town community for six long days which ignites a fire under the local police who begin a huge search in the nearby woods, rivers and the surrounding undergrowth headed by Detective Inspector Robin Fleet. Not ...more
Mandy White
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Five kids go looking for their missing friend... what could go wrong? The blurb gave me Stand By Me vibes, one of my favourite movies ever so I had to read it. I have read Simon Lelic books before so I was ready for a twisty tale and that is certainly what this is. A quick read that will keep you on your toes.

16 year old Sadie is missing. 5 of her friends are worried and not sure the police are doing enough so they form their own search party. It includes her twin brother and boyfriend. They hea
Chloe
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Sixteen-year-old Sadie Saunders has been missing for a week. 5 of her friends don't feel the cops are doing enough , so form their own search party to find her.They go into the woods to search for her but manage to get lost themselves. After a few days when the cops find them one of them is dead ..

Told through police interviews with the kids and from DCI Fleet The Search Party is a well written, tightly plotted thriller with lots of suspects that kept me hooked to the end.

I would like to thank p
Louise Wilson
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A teenage girl has gone missing. Everyone thinks that Sadie Saunders is dead. She's been missing for a week and they think they know who murdered her. Sadie's five friends vow to find out the truth so they set out to find her. But what started off as a search quickly turns into something more sinister. DI Robin Fleet is leading the investigation. He is deemed an expert in finding missing people.

It took me a little while to get into this book but once i did, I was hooked. In a series on one-side
ABookwormWithWine
The Search Party is my second time reading a book by Simon Lelic and it had a totally different feel from his previous novel The Liar's Room. I loved that the two felt so different, and while this is a mystery/police procedural, it was also a bit of a character study. I feel like we really got to know DI Fleet who is the police viewpoint in the novel, and I learned more about his character than I was expecting to. The formatting of the book was interesting, and it switches between Fleet's viewpo ...more
Louise Wilson
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A teenage girl has gone missing. Everyone thinks that Sadie Saunders is dead. She's been missing for a week and they think they know who murdered her. Sadie's five friends vow to find out the truth so they set out to find her. But what started off as a search party turned into something more sinister. DI Robin Fleet is leading the investigation. He is deemed an expert in finding missing people.

It took me a little while to get into this book but once i did, I was hooked. In a series of one-sided
Liz Barnsley
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A read in one sitting psychological thriller that was pitch perfect for me - I love a good group dynamic, a whole bunch of secrets and a well written twistier than twisty plot all of which Simon Lelic serves up here brilliantly.

I genuinely wasn't sure what the resolution would be this was an excellent piece of plotting in that regard given there were finite possibilities given the set up. Very good indeed. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fuller review near publication.
Miriam Smith
Since I enjoyed Simon Lelic’s previous novel “The House” and the way in which it was written, I was looking forward to reading his latest book “The Search Party”. The plot is exactly as the title says, sixteen year old Sadie Saunders has gone missing and her five friends form a search party to look for her in the woods. Only they’re not just her friends, they are also suspects and not all of them will make it out alive.
The story is written between days six and ten of the search with the friends
Nicki
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five friends decided to form a search party and go into the woods,hoping to find their missing friend, Sadie Saunders. Two days later,the emergency services received a frantic phone call for help and when they arrived at the isolated location of the call,they discovered four,cold, wet and distressed teenagers and a dead body,a body that did not belong to the missing girl. Now not only do Detective Inspector Robert Fleet and his partner DS Nicola Collins have a missing person's investigation,they ...more
Gary
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Swann
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was really good. I enjoyed the writing style that goes from the perspective of the detective and the interviews of the characters. I enjoyed how it all came together to tell the story. I was guessing the whole time and I really liked the way it ended. Solid mystery/thriller.

*Huge thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing an early copy to read and review.
Ruth Parker
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m in the minority here as I can see from other reviews, but this book was not good for me. I love Simon Lelic books and was so excited to get my hands on an ARC of this... but I didn’t enjoy it.

I found the writing style totally off. I couldn’t grasp that the narrations were supposed to be 16 year old kids telling the police what happened. First of, no one would talk to the police they say they did, especially not teenagers. And another, no one would talk like that anyway. It’s like when you re
 LEAH⇢
THE DETAILS✎ ❐ A GROUP OF "FRIENDS" SEARCHES FOR ONE OF THEIR OWN ❐ I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE SOMBODY'S WATCHING ME... ❐ SOMEONE ENDS UP DEAD ❐ TOLD IN PRESENT TENSE & PAST TENSE ❐ MANY POV'S WITH A FULL-CAST ❐ SECRETS, LIES & BETRAYALS... ❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 9 HOURS, 55 MINUTES ❐ I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY
description

At times this felt like a bunch of bratty teens being mean to each other in the name of friendship...I felt a "with friends like these...who needs enemies" kind of vibe. By th
Nicole
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a pretty average, middle of the road thriller for me. There was nothing bad about it but there wasn't nothing that special either

This is a psychological thriller which focuses on a group of teens who go on a search party looking for thier friend who has gone missing but something goes horribly wrong.

I thought this book was just okay. It wasn't that remarkable or anything special.

But it was interesting enough to want me to read to the end.

I didn't see the ending coming, so I have to
daniela weber
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
even not having read anything by this
author, this was my "most antecipated
release of the year- for its premise: one
missing girl, five friends PoV and a very
deep and well constructed investigator.
Rach
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sixteen year old Sadie is missing. The police have been searching the rivers and woods but have only found her bag with her belongings in it. They have her boyfriend Mason as the prime suspect. DI Fleet is isn’t so certain of this.

Sadie’s friends Abi, Cora, Mason, Fash and her brother Luke decide to search for her themselves. Things start to fall apart within the group as they start to distrust each, secrets come out and an accident happens.

The book is told through multiply POV’s.

DI Fleet is
Anissa
I'll keep this short. This was mostly a miss for me. The format with the narrations of all the teens was something I never settled into. I did like the atmosphere of the town and surrounding environs. Neutral on recommend.
Shalini
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my!! This was a book filled with darkened lanes where the suspense was hidden in the shadows, ready to pounce when least expected. Author Simon Lelic wrote a book on friendship, quite a twisted one at that, which made it all exciting, especially in the last 30%

Sadie had disappeared. Nobody knew if she were dead or run away. Her 5 best friends went in search of her to their favorite place in the woods. One 4 came back, absolutely shell-shocked and in hysterics. There was a corpse in the forest
Monnie
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
If he writes it, I will come. That's my conclusion after reading three books by this talented author. This one, my third, held my attention from start to finish - just as the other two did.

This story centers around a missing girl named Sadie Saunders; her five friends - and for that matter, the entire town - are convinced that she's been murdered, but no body has been found. Most folks think they know who did it as well, but the friends - one Sadie's boyfriend and another her brother - reluctant
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Chalet
  • Truth Be Told
  • The Vow
  • Seven Days
  • One Step Behind
  • The Stolen Sisters
  • Written in Blood (Robert Hunter, #11)
  • Hideaway
  • When I Was Ten
  • Just Like the Other Girls
  • Queen Bee
  • Stranger in the Lake
  • How to Disappear
  • The Dilemma
  • Double Agent (Kate Henderson #2)
Simon Lelic was born in 1976 and has worked as a journalist in the UK and currently runs his own business in Brighton, England, where he lives with his wife and two sons.

News & Interviews