Start by marking “The Divorce” as Want to Read:
The Divorce

The Divorce

I thought I knew how to help them. I knew nothing.

When Lydia and Josh Green walk into Karen’s office one rainy February morning, Karen sees a couple under stress, almost at breaking point. But working with struggling couples, finding out more about their problems, helping to save their marriages, is what Karen does.

But as Karen spends more time with Lydia and Josh, her s
Published July 4th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Divorce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divorce

sue
I tend to read reviews after I’ve read a book myself if I already own it or have it to review.

There’s some mixed reviews for sure.

Although I have this authors other books on my kindle, and I’m ashamed to say I’ve not got around to reading them....yet. I understand they are more in the line of police procedures unlike this one.
So maybe because I’m all “zumped” out of police procedures is why I enjoyed this one.

It is based around a Counsellor whose own first marriage wasn’t .....just let me say...
Mark
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick and nifty read and not half bad
Karen is a ‘marriage counsellor’, with a 2 pronged past she is trying to deal with
Josh and Lydia are a couple who are new to her practice and Lydia at least wants, needs, to sort her marriage out
Its quite an interesting say first 150 or so pages as each chapter ( fairly long ones ) is narrated by one of the 3 re their latest counselling session, its well done as in as a reader you are privy to these sessions and feel you have stumbled upon someones private
Mandy White
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Having read this authors King and Lane series and I was excited to read another book by Victoria Jenkins. The Divorce is a very different book. Unfortunately for me it was not quite what I had expected and fell flat. The story sounded like something that I was going to get into but I really struggled with it. In the end it was an ok read but I had hoped for more.

Dr Karen Fisher is a marriage counsellor with her own demons. When she meets Lynda and Josh Greene some of the demon she come back to p
Holly
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
It pains me to say this because I loved Victoria Jenkins King & Lane series, but this was so boring. I was looking forward to her new stand alone suspense novel, however, there is nothing suspenseful to this story. A quarter away in I knew what was happening so nothing was surprising. The characters were mediocre, the plot was nothing interesting, and the ending was, no word for it, but boring. This was just a blah book all the way around. Even though I’m disappointed, I cannot wait to read ...more
Shalini
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a completely different read. Though it was a thriller, but there was a bit of pathos underlying the backstory of these characters. It left me thinking quite a bit about how a mind interprets what it sees, adding its own meaning.

Lydia and Josh came to psychologist Karen to fix what was wrong in their marriage, and in trying to fix their problems, Karen not only went into the memories of her past but also read the unspoken lines between the couple.

Victoria Jenkins has played this s
Karen Whittard
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t put this book down. Make sure that you set aside many hours of spare time to read this amazing book. Wow, wow, wow.
Linda Strong
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Karen is a therapist, mostly dealing with couple who have marriage problems. She listens to them, and tries to help them save their marriage.

Lydia and Josh Green are new clients. Almost immediately she senses something not quite right. The two of them seem to disturb something in Lydia ...something from her past.

Lydia seems to be frightened of her controlling husband. Josh is plainly angry and seems to be hiding .. something.

As Karen spends more time with the couple, she more apprehensive and af
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

The Divorce by Victoria Jenkins is a slow burn psychological thriller that for me was anything but boring.

What it's about: Karen is a marriage counselor that speaks from experience since her first husband was abusive. So when Josh and Lydia Green show up and Lydia seems to be in trouble, all Karen wants to do is help. But the secrets all of them are hiding might just make that impossible, and maybe even deadly...

I am keeping my summery of this one vague because I liked going into it pret
Eva
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
You may know Victoria Jenkins from her brilliant crime fiction series featuring detectives King and Lane, but now she has crossed genres and The Divorce is her first psychological thriller.

In The Divorce, we are first introduced to Karen. She is a marriage counsellor and through her we get a glimpse into the marriage of Lydia and Josh. It soon becomes apparent though that this isn’t your average marriage. Both Josh and Lydia seem to be hiding something and don’t come across as particularly trust
Bibliogyan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
The story starts with Karen, a marriage counsellor, who takes in a couple – Josh and Lydia, who are on the verge of separating, as her new clients. They seem to go around in circles every time they discuss their problems. But helping them sort out their problems is what Karen does best. Once their sessions start Karen begins to notice certain tell-tale signs of abuse and wants to help Lydia the best she can except she begins receiving threatening emails and is worried for her own safety. There i ...more
Jeanniehay64
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I admit I was contemplating putting this book down after reading the first few chapters but boy am I happy I didn’t because this book really stepped up a gear as the story unfolded.

I loved how the story switched from character to character and the insightful details of people’s personalities was portrayed brilliantly. How different characters perceive things especially from their childhood held a fascination for me.

I raced through this book once started and can honestly say I didn’t see the plo
Betty
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come later today.
mads
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Official rating: 1.5/5

It’s strange to me that so many publicity teams try to compare psychological thrillers to the heavyweights like Gone Girl. Mainly because most of the time, there are no similarities beyond the genre. Not every thriller is deserving of this comparison.

The Divorce is unique due to its narrative structure. Each chapter represents a different perspective of one of the three characters involved in marriage counseling.

The main character, Karen, is the counselor. The other two, Ly
Kat
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read that is very compulsive and I found myself grabbing every spare minute to read as I wanted to know just where this story was going. Told from the different points of view of Karen, Lydia and Josh it had me trying to guess who was the reliable one and actually just what the hell was going on because as the book progressed it became clear that all is not as it seems !! It’s such a well written story and my first by Victoria Jenkins and I was really impressed by quality of the ...more
Katie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was sent this book free of charge from net galley in exchange for a honest review...

A couple of chapters into this I contemplated not finishing it which is very rare for me however after reading some similar reviews from people who thought the same but went on to love it I thought I’d give it the benefit of the doubt and persevere with it. It’s safe to say my mind wasn’t changed.

The concept of the story was good a mystery couple a troubled counsellor and many surprises along the way however t
Vikki Patis
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A slow-burning, gripping psychological thriller with a unique set of characters and storyline. I believe it's Jenkins's first foray into this genre, but she writes like a pro. Fascinating characters with a different, intriguing twist.
Erika
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. This book was sooooo boring. Thank god it was short because otherwise, it would have been a DNF. For the first 50-60%, we are basically being subjected to therapy sessions between a therapist and a married couple who are having issues that are not particularly interesting. The therapist is also getting threatening emails between sessions. Then we get to the bottom of what is going on with the couple a
Donna Hines
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
The Divorce is more than just a therapy session it's an entire crazy world of psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists.
Welcome to the NutHouse in which these characters lay it all on the line.
We begin with Lucy and Josh a seemingly distract married couple who are seeking help to save their marriage with Karen their therapist.
Sounds nice, innocent, nothing wrong there.
Ok...
Now step it up a notch with non stop treatments, delving into the unknown, seeking answers and enter more characters such as
Dipika
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading this after having read the blurb but unfortunately I did not enjoy this book as much. I wish the characters had been more compelling and the story not so contrived. It was just boring and it dragged in a lot of places! I guessed exactly what was happening halfway into the read and was happy to reach the end just so that it was over. Very okay read for me.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a digital ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Roma Sharma
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a hard to put down kind of a book. A quick easy read. It engages you quickly and keeps you hooked since it doesn’t have too many characters and the plot is very focused. It’s succinctly written. You know right from the start that something is off about the couple but the reveal and the games they play make it very interesting to read.
Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for providing me with an ARC for review.
Cathryn
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So I really enjoyed this up until the last 20% when it became unbelievable, bland and completely over the top. People just don't behave the way that the characters in this book did. They felt poorly developed and what could have been a really good psychological thriller became almost complete nonsense, not to mention the fact that there was no proper ending. I'm disappointed as I had very high hopes for this book and if the last section was more believable and better developed, this could have b ...more
K.S. Lewis
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A family drama-thriller if there ever was one, The Divorce will have you contained until the very last page. The writing and story, both beautifully wound together, captivated me and wouldn't let me go. This is sure to be a hit with those who love domestic thrillers.
CwtchUpBooks
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the different voices taking alternate chapters, it added to the confusion and tension of the tale building. So clever and thoroughly gripping!
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a really interesting read into the human psyche. It is an intriguing story which looks like it is going to be about a normal couple going through a troublesome time, but there is so much more to the story.

There are only three characters in this book, which I thought I was going to struggle a bit with as I like there to be more to keep my interest, but Victoria does a great job with them, and they are very well developed, written well and very believable. With so little characters it make
Sheri
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The Divorce felt like quite a strange read.

Karen, a marriage counsellor, takes on new clients, Lydia and Josh, who clearly have major issues in their relationship. The story takes place almost entirely within the therapy sessions and the thoughts of the three characters about the sessions - there is literally nothing else happening and no other characters appear. This makes it quite an intense and insular read, and I’m not sure it really worked for me. That said, I did keep reading and was inte
Stina
Having been a big fan of Victoria Jenkins' King and Lane series, I was excited to discover a psychological thriller by her. THE DIVORCE is a very different book and not what I expected. It is an incredibly slow burn that builds at an almost glacial speed to culminate in a somewhat different climax. By the end, I still wasn't sure what to think of it.

The story opens with Karen Fisher, a marriage guidance counsellor, who has her own demons to battle. When she meets Lydia and Josh Greene to help fi
Megan Jones
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Josh and Lydia Green. A doctor, and a stay-at-home mother. They met at a party, which led to a dinner, which led to a happy and comfortable life together. They married young, and had children earlier than planned. They have their moments, of course – who doesn’t? With Josh working longer hours in the hospital, and Lydia feeling increasingly isolated at home, the strain is starting to show. They don’t talk as much as they used to. Not every wife is as scared as Lydia. Not every husband is hiding ...more
Clair
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Whilst The Divorce is Victoria Jenkins’ first psychological thriller, she already has a successful police procedural series under her belt featuring Detectives King and Lane. I really like that series and enjoy Jenkins’ writing style so I was excited to see where she would take her reader in a psychological thriller!

Karen is a marriage counsellor and we are thrown into the story when Karen first meets Josh and Lydia. In the introductory session, Karen is easing the couple in carefully to learn m
Ruth Parker
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
A young couple visit Karen, a marriage counsellor, hoping to resolve their issues. Soon Karen is faced with a problem she has tackled before; should she be honest to Lydia about how she sees Josh, or should she continue to try to help them through their problems?

Hmm. My initial reaction to this is only ok. It’s a really slow burn. For the first third of the book I was just plodding along. I didn’t feel anything for any of the characters; I didn’t like any but I also didn’t hate any of them, whi
Sue
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE DIVORCE is a psychological thriller, and first venture into this category by bestselling author Victoria Jenkins, known for her police procedurals.

“I thought I knew how to help them. I knew nothing.”

Karen is a marriage counsellor with personal experience, as she came from a controlling abusive relationship with her first husband, Damien. Karen woks from home, a comfortable setting where her clients can feel at ease.

When Lydia and Josh Green walk into Karen’s office one rainy February morn
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Victoria Jenkins is a Welsh author who has made a name for herself writing the highly popular Detective King and Lane series of novels. The first novel in the series was “The Girls In The Water” that Jenkins first published in 2017, to much critical acclaim and popularity among crime fiction fans.
The series of novels features Detective Constable Chloe Lane and Detective Inspector Alex King, who a