Start by marking “The Divorce” as Want to Read:
The Divorce

The Divorce

I thought I knew how to help them. I knew nothing.

When Lydia and Josh Green walk into Karen’s office one rainy February morning, Karen sees a couple under stress, almost at breaking point. But working with struggling couples, finding out more about their problems, helping to save their marriages, is what Karen does.

But as Karen spends more time with Lydia and Josh, her
Published July 4th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Divorce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divorce

Start your review of The Divorce
Mark
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick and nifty read and not half bad
Karen is a ‘marriage counsellor’, with a 2 pronged past she is trying to deal with
Josh and Lydia are a couple who are new to her practice and Lydia at least wants, needs, to sort her marriage out
Its quite an interesting say first 150 or so pages as each chapter ( fairly long ones ) is narrated by one of the 3 re their latest counselling session, its well done as in as a reader you are privy to these sessions and feel you have stumbled upon someones private
Sue
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
I tend to read reviews after I’ve read a book myself if I already own it or have it to review.

There’s some mixed reviews for sure.

Although I have this authors other books on my kindle, and I’m ashamed to say I’ve not got around to reading them....yet. I understand they are more in the line of police procedures unlike this one.
So maybe because I’m all “zumped” out of police procedures is why I enjoyed this one.

It is based around a Counsellor whose own first marriage wasn’t .....just let me say...
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

The Divorce by Victoria Jenkins is a slow burn psychological thriller that for me was anything but boring.

What it's about: Karen is a marriage counselor that speaks from experience since her first husband was abusive. So when Josh and Lydia Green show up and Lydia seems to be in trouble, all Karen wants to do is help. But the secrets all of them are hiding might just make that impossible, and maybe even deadly...

I am keeping my summery of this one vague because I liked going into it
Sue
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE DIVORCE is a psychological thriller, and first venture into this category by bestselling author Victoria Jenkins, known for her police procedurals.

“I thought I knew how to help them. I knew nothing.”

Karen is a marriage counsellor with personal experience, as she came from a controlling abusive relationship with her first husband, Damien. Karen woks from home, a comfortable setting where her clients can feel at ease.

When Lydia and Josh Green walk into Karen’s office one rainy February mor
Linda Strong
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Karen is a therapist, mostly dealing with couple who have marriage problems. She listens to them, and tries to help them save their marriage.

Lydia and Josh Green are new clients. Almost immediately she senses something not quite right. The two of them seem to disturb something in Lydia ...something from her past.

Lydia seems to be frightened of her controlling husband. Josh is plainly angry and seems to be hiding .. something.

As Karen spends more time with the couple, she more apprehensive and af
Mandy White
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Having read this authors King and Lane series and I was excited to read another book by Victoria Jenkins. The Divorce is a very different book. Unfortunately for me it was not quite what I had expected and fell flat. The story sounded like something that I was going to get into but I really struggled with it. In the end it was an ok read but I had hoped for more.

Dr Karen Fisher is a marriage counsellor with her own demons. When she meets Lynda and Josh Greene some of the demon she come back to p
Louise Wilson
3.5⭐️ rounded up to 4

Karen is a marriage guidance counsellor who takes on the case of Lydia and Josh Green who are on the verge of separation. On the face of it, they seem like any other couple who are going through troubles, but there is something more sinister about this couple. The more sessions they have, the more uneasy Karen feels. There's something about them that she can't quite put her finger on, except something reminds her of events that happened in her own past.

Right from the start J
Chloe
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
3 ½ stars

Karen is a marriage counselor who while counseling young couple Josh and Lydia has some flashbacks of her first marriage where her husband was abusive. But as the story progresses it becomes apparent the couple are hiding secrets some of which can prove deadly

The Divorce by Victoria Jenkins is a slow burn psychological thriller narrated by different POV’s . The first half was a little slow but the tension picked up midway and made it an interesting read for me

I would like to thank Bo
Holly
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
It pains me to say this because I loved Victoria Jenkins King & Lane series, but this was so boring. I was looking forward to her new stand alone suspense novel, however, there is nothing suspenseful to this story. A quarter away in I knew what was happening so nothing was surprising. The characters were mediocre, the plot was nothing interesting, and the ending was, no word for it, but boring. This was just a blah book all the way around. Even though I’m disappointed, I cannot wait to read anot ...more
Shalini
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a completely different read. Though it was a thriller, but there was a bit of pathos underlying the backstory of these characters. It left me thinking quite a bit about how a mind interprets what it sees, adding its own meaning.

Lydia and Josh came to psychologist Karen to fix what was wrong in their marriage, and in trying to fix their problems, Karen not only went into the memories of her past but also read the unspoken lines between the couple.

Victoria Jenkins has played this s
Stina
Having been a big fan of Victoria Jenkins' King and Lane series, I was excited to discover a psychological thriller by her. THE DIVORCE is a very different book and not what I expected. It is an incredibly slow burn that builds at an almost glacial speed to culminate in a somewhat different climax. By the end, I still wasn't sure what to think of it.

The story opens with Karen Fisher, a marriage guidance counsellor, who has her own demons to battle. When she meets Lydia and Josh Greene to help fi
Karen Whittard
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t put this book down. Make sure that you set aside many hours of spare time to read this amazing book. Wow, wow, wow.
Eva
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
You may know Victoria Jenkins from her brilliant crime fiction series featuring detectives King and Lane, but now she has crossed genres and The Divorce is her first psychological thriller.

In The Divorce, we are first introduced to Karen. She is a marriage counsellor and through her we get a glimpse into the marriage of Lydia and Josh. It soon becomes apparent though that this isn’t your average marriage. Both Josh and Lydia seem to be hiding something and don’t come across as particularly trust
Vandana
Jun 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
The story starts with Karen, a marriage counsellor, who takes in a couple – Josh and Lydia, who are on the verge of separating, as her new clients. They seem to go around in circles every time they discuss their problems. But helping them sort out their problems is what Karen does best. Once their sessions start Karen begins to notice certain tell-tale signs of abuse and wants to help Lydia the best she can except she begins receiving threatening emails and is worried for her own safety. There i ...more
Kat Dietrich

The Divorce by Victoria Jenkins is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

Dr. Karen Fisher is a marriage counsellor who has first hand knowledge of both what a happy marriage looks like and what an abusive marriage looks like.

When Lydia and and Jos
books_recommendedbyYazz
The Divorce - Victoria Jenkins
An easy read with an intriguing plot about a couple seeking marriage counselling. As the couple bicker and bring up events from their relationship the counsellor struggles with her own emotions and flashes back to events in her own life. Are the couple really who they say they are?
Erika
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. This book was sooooo boring. Thank god it was short because otherwise, it would have been a DNF. For the first 50-60%, we are basically being subjected to therapy sessions between a therapist and a married couple who are having issues that are not particularly interesting. The therapist is also getting threatening emails between sessions. Then we get to the bottom of what is going on with the couple a
Karen
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE DIVORCE
BY VICTORIA JENKINS

Lydia and Joshua Greene show up for marriage counselling at Karen Fisher's home where her clients can feel comfortable in a warm and inviting setting. Karen Fisher specializes in helping couples with marital problems fix their troubled marriages. What was intriguing to me in psychology is how the mind is programmed as we are children and how we subconsciously act out those early child development programs without being conscious of our actions. We are like tape reco
Denise
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Psychological thriller with domestic drama that leaves a relationship counsellor reeling when she attempts to help a married couple whose situation reminds her just a bit too much of her own past.

What it's about: Karen Fisher, a 56-year-old widow, is a psychotherapist whose specialty is marriage counseling. Her newest clients, Josh and Lydia Green have been married for 14 years and have two young children. As the couple returns in repeat sessions, Karen starts to feel a vibe that indicates that
Els
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is told by 3 different persons. The biggest part is seen through the eyes of Karen, but we also get a glimpse in the heads of Lydia and Josh.

As a counsellor you meet all kinds of people. Your job is to try and figure out the best way to help your clients. It’s not always easy. Are they being honest or are they trying to deceive you? Who do you believe? Is she right? Or is he?

The more you talk and listen to them, the more you are convinced you have delved deep enough and you know the t
Julie Lacey
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ooh this book is full of surprises.
Just when you think you’ve worked out what is going on, it’s turned completely on it’s head.
Karen is giving marriage guidance advice to Lucy and her husband, and grows more and more worried about the relationship.
We get snippets of information about Karen’s past and it’s clear she’s had a difficult life.
Karen thinks she can see signs of abuse in Lucy’s relationship and wants to help but us she ready to be helped?
This book had me hooked and I couldn’t put it
Jeanniehay64
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I admit I was contemplating putting this book down after reading the first few chapters but boy am I happy I didn’t because this book really stepped up a gear as the story unfolded.

I loved how the story switched from character to character and the insightful details of people’s personalities was portrayed brilliantly. How different characters perceive things especially from their childhood held a fascination for me.

I raced through this book once started and can honestly say I didn’t see the plo
Betty
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come later today.
Katie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was sent this book free of charge from net galley in exchange for a honest review...

A couple of chapters into this I contemplated not finishing it which is very rare for me however after reading some similar reviews from people who thought the same but went on to love it I thought I’d give it the benefit of the doubt and persevere with it. It’s safe to say my mind wasn’t changed.

The concept of the story was good a mystery couple a troubled counsellor and many surprises along the way however t
mads
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Official rating: 1.5/5

It’s strange to me that so many publicity teams try to compare psychological thrillers to the heavyweights like Gone Girl. Mainly because most of the time, there are no similarities beyond the genre. Not every thriller is deserving of this comparison.

The Divorce is unique due to its narrative structure. Each chapter represents a different perspective of one of the three characters involved in marriage counseling.

The main character, Karen, is the counselor. The other two, Ly
Robin Loves Reading
Karen has done well as a marriage counselor, working from her home for decades. She generally works with couples together, and will do what she can to keep their marriages intact. It doesn't take long for Karen to understand the newest couple, Josh and Lydia Green. At least she thinks she understands the dynamic of their relationship.

Karen begins to listen and soon begins to offer advice as to how they can draw closer together. However, things begin to unravel rather quickly, and Karen soon real
Lel Budge
Shelves: bookouture
This is a subtle, clever thriller about how we each see different meanings in the same things….

Karen is a psychologist and her clients, Josh and Lydia come to her to seek help with their marital issues…..this interaction between Karen and her clients is the bulk of the story, it also brings her own memories to the fore…how memories as a child may not have the same interpretation as an adult…

As Josh and Lydia’s sessions progress, more and more about their lives and their issues are discussed, rem
Kat
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read that is very compulsive and I found myself grabbing every spare minute to read as I wanted to know just where this story was going. Told from the different points of view of Karen, Lydia and Josh it had me trying to guess who was the reliable one and actually just what the hell was going on because as the book progressed it became clear that all is not as it seems !! It’s such a well written story and my first by Victoria Jenkins and I was really impressed by quality of the ...more
Amber
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 ....This dragged and was quite repetitive ( there were only so many times I could endure the main character saying “You need to leave I have other clients coming very soon”) Quiet a disappointment , I also felt the title was misleading
Vikki Patis
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A slow-burning, gripping psychological thriller with a unique set of characters and storyline. I believe it's Jenkins's first foray into this genre, but she writes like a pro. Fascinating characters with a different, intriguing twist.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Perfect Sister
  • The Honeymoon
  • Little Whispers
  • The Woman Next Door
Victoria Jenkins is a Welsh author who has made a name for herself writing the highly popular Detective King and Lane series of novels. The first novel in the series was “The Girls In The Water” that Jenkins first published in 2017, to much critical acclaim and popularity among crime fiction fans.
The series of novels features Detective Constable Chloe Lane and Detective Inspector Alex King, who a