Start by marking “The Ex-Princess (The Borderline Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ex-Princess (The Borderline Chronicles #1)

The Ex-Princess

(The Borderline Chronicles #1)

A princess determined to hide. A prince determined to avoid war. A wilderness they’ll both have to cross.

Abelia is content in her menial job and tiny apartment, living as far as possible from her queendom. When royal emissaries arrive to enforce the marriage contract she thought was void, she has no intention of going with them across the Unveiled. Crossing the harsh, unp
ebook
Published by Tempest and Kite Publishing (first published January 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Ex-Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ex-Princess

Start your review of The Ex-Princess (The Borderline Chronicles #1)
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

This book was a lighthearted and fun fantasy about royals, romance, and life with chronic illness! I loved some things, I had issues with others, so this is a good time for some lists. As usual, I'll get the negatives out of the way first.

Things I Disliked:

- I was so confused about the world. It had modern Earth things and alluded to products/books/phrases/etc. that we have, but it wasn't Earth.
Lindsay
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Delightfully minimalist world-building of this alternate-world fantasy romance made this a fun read.

Abelia was the crown princess of her country before she fled to make an independent life for herself in a different country. She has very good reasons for doing so, but that doesn't stop the prince of yet another country trying to track her down five years later to enforce a marriage contract. It's half politics, as a marriage between the two may head off a war, and half fulfillment of a romance t
Niken Widyastuti
This book somewhat managed to surprise me, in a very good way. I thought that this was just another love story with some twists, yet some elements of this book were not so common being brought up in a romance book, nad nicely done at that. There were some aspects that confused me, like whose POV at the time sometime confusing, the setting as well as it was not really earthy yet not so fantasy either.

Despite the confusions I felt during the reading, I loved this book. I loved it so much that I’m
Angela Boord
This was a sweet indie fantasy romance that was exactly the kind of light, fun read I needed while taking care of a house full of sick people. And probably it was a little more like 4.25 stars.

Abbie is the heir to the throne of a queendom, but she's given up her potential throne because of a secret she's hiding. Unfortunately, that also means that she wants out of a marriage contract she signed when she was twelve. But Edward, her fiance, isn't going to let her out of it so easily. He needs a qu
Meghan Lloyd
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A princess fantasy with a modern twist, this book kept me on the edge of my seat! There was action, mystery, adventure and romance - everything you could want in a fairy tale for adults. Besides the two main characters, there were many other secondary characters that grabbed my attention as well, including a talking horse who brought humor into a few very serious situations. This book had a great balance of many themes, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Abelia Porchenzii used to be a princess. She i
Janna
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
General Info

A runaway princess is forced to return home to say goodbye to her dying father and to try and get out of her marriage contract. There's also an award for her capture so she has to stay hidden while traveling. Her fiancé joins her at her journey and together they travel and get to know each other again.

Things I liked

I think I like everything in this book. The story is an amazing page-turner and there's not one moment that the book gets boring. The adventure they are on has twists and
Nikki Edwards
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, this book has no smut or anything that could make you blush ☺️ .

I loved the main characters, although the place names were a bit strange,

I loved the story, although it doesn't really explain the veiled and unveiled very well, except for the talking horse and witness of walking through the veil!

One thing that bugged me was the use of m

Parkers name all 6 of them on his voicemail😂

It was a lovely romance and I will read the 2nd book.

There were some spelling errors🙀

I received this as an ARC
Jessica
This love story full of magic and intrigue and fighting amongst countries in this parallel realm is interesting and quirky. On the run for 5 years, Princess Abigail is finally found and coerced to return home to fulfill her end of the engagement contract and marry Prince Edward. The two meet up and travel back towards his kingdom all while trying to convince each other, they are the one in the right. He for wanting to uphold the marriage contract regardless of her Lupus, and her, for wanting to ...more
Kimberly
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a good fantasy romance read. The story has a good story line. The characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable, fun, and light romance read.

Viola
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous Fun

Great travels with highly colorful characters. Tough decisions for royal leaders resulting in much drama. Will love win or lose.... wonderful adventure along the way.
Nancy
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
Former Princess Abelia has a secret that made her flee the palace and assume a nondescript identity in another country. But when her father falls ill, she is summoned home to fulfill a marriage contract signed years ago. Various political factions would prefer this marriage not take place, endangering Abelia and her companions. The Ex-Princess is an intriguing fantasy that will capture your interest.
Kaye Hinds
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good! I was a little confused when the past met the present but caught on pretty quickly. I have Book 2 waiting.
Cheryl
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, light read. I’m anxious to read the next in this duet. It was a bit confusing at first, but hang in there. The author just needed to last out her new world for us to explore as she told her story. Characters you will love and those you will love to hate! Read and enjoy!
Bookishly
This book was so good!
I loved it. There are no other words for it. It had an immersible world and characters that were flawed and lovable and relatable and I can’t wait for the next one.

The world was impressive. The mixture of modern technology with old timey prejudices and practices were so clever, I didn’t even notice it until after I had finished reading. The Veil was such an interesting part of the book that it became it’s own character for me. I wanted to know more about where it had come f
Jackie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked this up after it was named a best romance of 2019 by Publishers Weekly, and was expecting a light contemporary romance, given its photo-realistic cover. Weirdly, it proved to be a fantasy novel, although a fantasy set in a very strange world. Or, actually, NOT strange; it actually sounds a lot like our current world, technologically: cell phones, the Internet, computer games, NSAIDs and other current medicines, etc. But airships instead of airplanes? And countries on the same continent ...more
The Mysterious Reader
Fiona West’s The Ex-Princess (The Borderline Chronicles Book 1) is a fabulously innovative and imaginative work for so many reasons. It’s world building is unique: a mixture of lands with and without technology (but don’t worry, those over the veil have fun things like talking horses and look down on those in the “box”). It’s got a mix of almost medieval royalties and political intrigue, etc., mixed with modern things like press conferences. Ugly war based on claims to a throne but countries whe ...more
Rosie Greenwell
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one sitting. If you like a fun, light-hearted book, this is for you.

Abbie (Abelia), a princess who has renounced her title and position in line to the throne, moved away from her home. 5 years later she has been found to keep to her side of a contract she signed when she was 9 years old.

Edward who was Abbie’s best friend and play mate is ready to marry his bride. Will she marry him? And will she get home to see her father who is very ill?

This book kept me on edge as I didn
Tanya
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She is enjoying her new life when they appear to tell her She must do her duty and marry but she does not want to marry. Although she wants to see her dying father. He is unexpected in the throne after his brother went off the rails and war may be coming. He needs his bride but will it happen? See what will happen between them

Marjorie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in a unique fantasy land with strict boundaries containing magic and tech, this book chronicles both the ex-princess' journey back home and her journey to accepting who she is. It truly does a beautiful job dealing with invisible disabilities and the complications they spawn.

Full of adventure and friendships, the large cast of characters was amazingly dynamic. The love story was funny and sweet, a slow burn that was relationship based. Definitely a world I want to spend more time in.
Amelia Nichole Defield
Loved the unique twist on this fantasy world where the Veiled countries are modern tech and the Unveiled countries are full of magic and low-tech. Modern tech fantasy with cellphones is something you rarely see. The romance was a bit overplayed in my opinion, but I liked the way the author handled the main character's illness.
Stefani
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

At first I wasnt for sure I was going to like this book because it was a new to me author. I was in for a pleasant surprise. It kept me hooked with all the comical and romantic aspects. Will definitely be looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Melissa
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book directly by the author herself via voracious.... what a brilliant book... the tension between the two main characters was amazing and fun to read. it is well worth the read and I'll be downloading the 2nd book now
Nadea Croix
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me speechless. There is so much being swept up into an unexpected turn going on at at each turn of the page. It has an amazing intense storyline and strong plot roaring to life

SA Krishnan
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful romance between Eddie and Abbie. The characters are beautiful and the chemistry between them is lovely to read. Engaging read
Karen high Davis
I voluntarily reviewed this book after downloading a free copy. I liked this book. It had an air of magic and playfulness. I liked the princess because she reminded me of me.
Colleen
At the time of this review, I read both The Ex-Princess and The Un-Queen, but I will try to keep my thoughts on both of them separate for the time being. This means my focus is going to be on The Ex-Princess.

My first thought about this book was chaotic. There was no clear description on the veil and unveil countries. Does it mean that magic is only in the unveiled countries or what? This meant as I read the book I was trying to decipher plot and understand the land in which the story took place
Stephanie
I received this book from Hidden Gems for an honest review.

I could not finish the book. I'm about halfway through and I'm just not feeling it. The story is just the characters traveling and not much else. There's a weird mix of real and fantasy that I'm just having trouble getting my head around. For example, the characters have cell phones, but some people live in the Veil and some do not. (The differences weren't entirely clear to me.)

Abbie is just annoying. She constantly acts like a spoiled
T.J.
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I think the concept and the plot had the potential to be interesting, but it just fell flat. I never understood the main character and her motivations, plus the story world was all over the place. What exactly was the Veil? And if the main character used to live outside/inside of it, why did she act like she knew nothing? This book needed clarity. There were so many subplots to follow it was confusing. I think it would have been better if it had been wri ...more
Alicia
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2020
I struggled a bit with this one. I really liked the fact that the main character had a hidden illness (Lupus) and there was discussion about the impact it had on the choices she made. The hero was nice, listened when she talked, and tried to be a good guy.

The world building, however, didn’t feel like it was as well thought out as it could have been and the plot could be confusing at times. It is difficult to create a fantasy world and the author should have spent a bit more time with it.
Geraldine Streit
I found it really difficult to get into this story. Annie from the beginning sound too selfish and inconsiderate. the prince too stuck up with duty. all the element are threw all together and make it difficult to really get the point.

• At Wits' End (Doyle / Wits' End Book 1)
  • Whisked Away (Paradise Bay, #2)
  • A Diamond In My Pocket (The Unaltered #1)
  • Tropical Tiger Spy (Shifting Sands Resort, #1)
  • Freshman Witch (Supernatural Academy #1)
  • The Trouble with Tabbies (Love & Pets, #2)
  • Love Bites (Tails from the Alpha Art Gallery, #1)
  • State of Deception (Virgil Jones Mystery #4)
  • The Vanishing
  • Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)
  • Dust of the Darkness (The Riven Realm #2)
  • Bessie Bell and the Goblin King (Tales of Aylfenhame, #3)
  • Wickedest Witch (Hell's Son, #0.5)
  • The INFJ: Understanding The Mystic
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • The Last Real Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #3)
  • The Moonglow Cafe (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #2)
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
Fiona West is an American author living in the Pacific Northwest. Writing romance is her favorite thing, followed closely by reading, knitting and drinking tea while looking out the window. When she’s not doing those things, she’s spending time with her husband and two kids. Her debut novel, The Ex-Princess, received a starred review from Publishers Weekly and was named one of their Best Books of ...more

The Borderline Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Un-Queen (The Borderline Chronicles #2)
  • The Jinxed Journalist (The Borderline Chronicles #3)
  • The Semi-Royal (The Borderline Chronicles, #4)
  • The Almost-Widow (The Borderline Chronicles #5)