Start by marking “The Roald Dahl Audio Collection” as Want to Read:
The Roald Dahl Audio Collection

The Roald Dahl Audio Collection

Dahl brings five of his wickedly funny stories to life: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Enormous Crocodile, and The Magic Finger. Abridged. 3 CDs.
Audio CD, Abridged, 4 pages
Published February 20th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Roald Dahl Audio Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roald Dahl Audio Collection

Start your review of The Roald Dahl Audio Collection
Ali M
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
We listened to this audiobook over several months when we had long trips in the car with our five kids. It was great! It was especially great because Roald Dahl narrated the stories himself and that made the delivery just perfect. In fact, I am not sure who enjoyed it more – the kids or the adults! My husband and I found ourselves cracking up over and over again.

The only complaint we have is that the stories are abridged. Our big kids, who have read all the books noticed this in particular and w
Reviews May Vary
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
So much love for this collection! I had comletely forgotten that James' parents were killed by a rhino. I mean, how often does that even happen!?
Geneva
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know if I'd ever heard a couple of these stories! They're all fun.
Terri
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars bc everything is abridged. 4 stars for Dahl’s narration, though
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I still find some of Roald Dahl's books a little too dark, but nevertheless the kids and I listened to and enjoyed this collection, read by the author.
Toni
5 stars for Roald Dahl narrating his own stories!!!
5 stars Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: book is just as fun and imaginative as the movie(s).
4 stars James and the Giant Peach: cute and heartwarming
3.5 star Fantastic Mr. Fox: couldn’t help but hear George Clooney voice
4 stars The Enormous Crocodile: Would have loved to see this as a movie
3.5 stars The Magic Finger – definitely see Matilda in this story, cute
Sheri Howard
This collection includes Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [abridged], James and the Giant Peach [abridged], Fantastic Mr. Fox [unabridged], The Enormous Crocodile [unabridged], and The Magic Finger [unabridged]. My rating is an average as I didn't enjoy them all the same, but being narrated by Roald Dahl was definitely a treat regardless.
Tisha
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Roald Dahl was my favorite childhood author and is still one of my favorites today. It was fun to listen to him reading abridgements of some of his classic works. I love when authors read their own audiobooks. I obviously prefer the unabridged works, but this is a fun way to quickly revisit them.
Bianca Smith
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an Audible essential and taught me to love audio books. It’s five excellent stories for one Audible credit. It’s 3-4 hours but I listened at 1.25 which was a perfect pace, and read by Roald Dahl himself.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The only thing I really enjoyed about this is the author reading it.
Meghan Schooley
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Roald Dahl reads his own stories and I’m in love with it!
Tonya
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s nice that the stories are read by Roald Dahl himself. Some of the stories are abridged versions though.
Elizabeth
My kids really enjoyed these stories though a few were probably a bit old for them.
Ashleigh Harris
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can never go wrong with Roald Dahl! It was a nice mix of stories.
Stephanie G. Lewis
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Delightfully told tales of valorous children navigating a callous world and insipid adults
Catherine
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I like the way it was read I listened every night 🌙 i love it ❤ book's its beautiful
Your not alone
Diana Wood Moran
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My boys loved listening to these during car rides to and from school and enjoyed all the stories!
Engie- Virtual Booklovers
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! I have read these stories multiple times growing up but nothing beats hearing the author reading each.
Kate Arismendez
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just love anything by Roald Dahl. I read dozens of his books when I was a child and it was nostalgic to read this collection as an adult.
Christina
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, own, audio
3.5 stars. This is a collection of abridged Roald Dahl novels read by Roald Dahl himself, which is what made it particularly interesting. I was already familiar with three of the stories.
I read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and I was intrigued to hear how Dahl interpreted Wonka as compared to Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp in the movie versions. He seemed sweeter, maybe a bit more innocent, in Dahl's voice.
I believe "James and the Giant Peach" was the first audiobook I ever listened to. I re
Barbara C
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Roald Dahl Audio Collection. By Roald Dahl. Harper Children's Audio, 2007. CD.

NB: This review pertains to James and the Giant Peach only.

Genre: Fantasy, adventure fiction
Recommended age level: Intermediate (8-12 years)
Subjects and themes: acceptance, adventure, family, escape

After suddenly being orphaned, poor young James is sent to live with his two nasty aunts who neglect and abuse him miserably. A turn of events causes magic to leech into a peach and various surrounding insects, resul
Maggie
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
**This review refers to Fantastic Mr. Fox only**

CIP: "Three farmers, each one meaner than the other, try all-out warfare to get rid of the fox and his family."

Maggie: Some may already be familiar with this tale of a sly fox who outwits the three farmers bent on his demise, but how many have listened to the one and only Mr. Dahl himself read it aloud? Fantastically whimsical and full of humor, this audio version of a Dahl classic is a must for any fan. Better for slightly older readers, between a
Cami
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I would have given this four stars without Roald Dahl reading it, but I just loved loved listening to him read these stories.

I've read and reviewed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory & Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and James and the Giant Peach, but had never read Fantastic Mr. Fox, the Enormous Crocodile or Magic Finger.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was fun and entertaining.

Enormous Crocodile was fun scary and I liked it.

Magic Finger was a little bit disturbing and it creeped me out.

Excellent readin
Thomas DeWolf
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Two of our grandchildren, ages 4 & 6, accompanied my wife and me on a week-long, 2,000-mile road trip to visit family. We brought along multiple audio books they helped us pick out from the library. The favorite by FAR was this collection of Roald Dahl stories. The highlight for me was that the stories are read by the author. What a magical treat! The highlight for my grandchildren was hearing Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (which they've only seen the movies previous to now), James & the Giant ...more
Jimmy
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult-lit
Do you suck as a parent? Do you find yourself surrounded by a pile of miserable little brats that you are responsible for? Maybe they should listen to this audio cd so they can learn about some of the horrible things that can happen to them if they don't straighten out pretty damn quickly.

It's read by Roald Dahl himself. He speaks in a marvelous British accent that sounds like he has a booger stuck deep in his nostril and he's trying to snort the bloody thing out without messing up his stiff up
Molly
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Roald Dahl is the best. I love that this collection is narrated by him, so you know things are pronounced as he intended. I don't usually like abridged audios, but I felt like I could excuse it, since it was him.

I find it so refreshing that his children's stories always have clear good guys and bad guys and he's never shy about having the bad guys get what's coming to them. I really liked The Magic Finger.
Jen
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
Listened to this on a recent road trip. Niko loved it, Alex was bored. I loved that it was read by the author himself and it was wonderful to hear the stories again.
Hmm- just looked at the goodreads description - could have sworn it was 4 CDs...
Tim
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Only listened to The Magic Finger & Enormous Crocodile (I have Dahl reading James @ home) and am planning on listening to other audios of the other two titles on this. Really nice to hear his voice reading his work. Hunt it up! You'll like it. ...more
Heather
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-childrens
Having the stories abridged is a mixed blessing. I generally am not a fan of abridged stories because I miss the details left out. However, this was a fun, quick trip down memory lane. I enjoyed hearing a variety of Dahl's work, in his own voice. Quite nostalgic!
D.peabody
Stories read by Roald Dahl himself. It was interesting to hear the great mans voice as he read his own stories. Was disappointed that a couple of the stories had been abridged as I would have liked to hear more.

• Math in Nature
  • Across Five Aprils
  • Mesmerizing Math
  • What the F: What Swearing Reveals About Our Language, Our Brains, and Ourselves
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • The Prince Warriors and the Unseen Invasion (The Prince Warriors, #2)
  • The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
  • The Composer Is Dead
  • Day I Fell Down the Toilet and Other Poems
  • One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
  • Beautiful Oops!
  • The Gentle Art Of Domesticity
  • Stone Age Boy
  • Making Every Primary Lesson Count: Six Principles to Support Great Teaching and Learning
  • Beegu