Start by marking “The Roald Dahl Audio Collection” as Want to Read:
The Roald Dahl Audio Collection

The Roald Dahl Audio Collection

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Dahl brings five of his wickedly funny stories to life: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Enormous Crocodile, and The Magic Finger. Abridged. 3 CDs.
Audio CD, Abridged, 4 pages
Published February 20th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Roald Dahl Audio Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roald Dahl Audio Collection

Ali Murphy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
We listened to this audiobook over several months when we had long trips in the car with our five kids. It was great! It was especially great because Roald Dahl narrated the stories himself and that made the delivery just perfect. In fact, I am not sure who enjoyed it more – the kids or the adults! My husband and I found ourselves cracking up over and over again.

The only complaint we have is that the stories are abridged. Our big kids, who have read all the books noticed this in particular and w
Rachel
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The only thing I really enjoyed about this is the author reading it.
Christina
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, audio
3.5 stars. This is a collection of abridged Roald Dahl novels read by Roald Dahl himself, which is what made it particularly interesting. I was already familiar with three of the stories.
I read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and I was intrigued to hear how Dahl interpreted Wonka as compared to Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp in the movie versions. He seemed sweeter, maybe a bit more innocent, in Dahl's voice.
I believe "James and the Giant Peach" was the first audiobook I ever listened to. I re
Barbara C
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Roald Dahl Audio Collection. By Roald Dahl. Harper Children's Audio, 2007. CD.

NB: This review pertains to James and the Giant Peach only.

Genre: Fantasy, adventure fiction
Recommended age level: Intermediate (8-12 years)
Subjects and themes: acceptance, adventure, family, escape

After suddenly being orphaned, poor young James is sent to live with his two nasty aunts who neglect and abuse him miserably. A turn of events causes magic to leech into a peach and various surrounding insects, resulti
Maggie
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
**This review refers to Fantastic Mr. Fox only**

CIP: "Three farmers, each one meaner than the other, try all-out warfare to get rid of the fox and his family."

Maggie: Some may already be familiar with this tale of a sly fox who outwits the three farmers bent on his demise, but how many have listened to the one and only Mr. Dahl himself read it aloud? Fantastically whimsical and full of humor, this audio version of a Dahl classic is a must for any fan. Better for slightly older readers, between a
Cami
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I would have given this four stars without Roald Dahl reading it, but I just loved loved listening to him read these stories.

I've read and reviewed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory & Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and James and the Giant Peach, but had never read Fantastic Mr. Fox, the Enormous Crocodile or Magic Finger.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was fun and entertaining.

Enormous Crocodile was fun scary and I liked it.

Magic Finger was a little bit disturbing and it creeped me out.

Excellent re
Thomas DeWolf
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Two of our grandchildren, ages 4 & 6, accompanied my wife and me on a week-long, 2,000-mile road trip to visit family. We brought along multiple audio books they helped us pick out from the library. The favorite by FAR was this collection of Roald Dahl stories. The highlight for me was that the stories are read by the author. What a magical treat! The highlight for my grandchildren was hearing Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (which they've only seen the movies previous to now), James &am ...more
Jimmy
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult-lit
Do you suck as a parent? Do you find yourself surrounded by a pile of miserable little brats that you are responsible for? Maybe they should listen to this audio cd so they can learn about some of the horrible things that can happen to them if they don't straighten out pretty damn quickly.

It's read by Roald Dahl himself. He speaks in a marvelous British accent that sounds like he has a booger stuck deep in his nostril and he's trying to snort the bloody thing out without messing up his stiff up
Tavi
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
He's still cool.
Molly
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Roald Dahl is the best. I love that this collection is narrated by him, so you know things are pronounced as he intended. I don't usually like abridged audios, but I felt like I could excuse it, since it was him.

I find it so refreshing that his children's stories always have clear good guys and bad guys and he's never shy about having the bad guys get what's coming to them. I really liked The Magic Finger.
Suzie Bookgirl
Stories read by Roald Dahl himself. It was interesting to hear the great mans voice as he read his own stories. Was disappointed that a couple of the stories had been abridged as I would have liked to hear more.
Heather
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-childrens
Having the stories abridged is a mixed blessing. I generally am not a fan of abridged stories because I miss the details left out. However, this was a fun, quick trip down memory lane. I enjoyed hearing a variety of Dahl's work, in his own voice. Quite nostalgic!
Jen
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
Listened to this on a recent road trip. Niko loved it, Alex was bored. I loved that it was read by the author himself and it was wonderful to hear the stories again.
Hmm- just looked at the goodreads description - could have sworn it was 4 CDs...
Robin
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2014books
Picked up this one at the library while I was in between other books since I have listened or read all of these previously. It's nice hearing Dahl's voice. They are abridged but would be a good intro and for family car trips.
D.peabody
Tim
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Only listened to The Magic Finger & Enormous Crocodile (I have Dahl reading James @ home) and am planning on listening to other audios of the other two titles on this. Really nice to hear his voice reading his work. Hunt it up! You'll like it.
Bre
Mar 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, audiobooks
Oh I grew up reading Roald Dahl and I just loved him to death!! It was a blast from the past listening to these books again!
Angie
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that some of the stories are abridged, and I hate that. It was so fun to hear the author reading his own wonderful stories.
Abby Johnson
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read by the author, this collection would be a good choice for car trips with kids. The stories are fun for a wide range of ages and Mr. Dahl is an engaging reader.
Brian
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Short versions of the books, but read by the Man himself.
Trish
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this audio collection and being able to hear it in the author's voice. Great stories.
Gin
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
so fun to listen to Roald Dahl read his own classics :)
Julie
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So much fun, especially being read to me by Mr. Dahl himself.
Leanne
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Has partcipated very effectivley in time passing on long trips with bored backseat travellers. Many laugh out loud moments to be savoured
Janelle
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We listened to this collection of stories in the car. Kids really liked it. I love that they were read by the author in the CD.
Aimee Woodall
Mar 01, 2016
Rachit Kapoor
rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2017
  • Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest
  • Scoot!
  • The Forty First Wink
  • The Dragon in the Ghetto Caper
  • Lives of the Scientists: Experiments, Explosions (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud
  • Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station, #2)
  • Me, All Alone, at the End of the World
  • Stick
  • So You Want to Be an Inventor?

More about Roald Dahl...