Start by marking “Training and Racing with a Power Meter” as Want to Read:
Training and Racing with a Power Meter

Training and Racing with a Power Meter

Training and Racing with a Power Meter brings the advanced power-based training techniques of elite cyclists and triathletes to everyone.

A power meter can unlock more speed and endurance than any other training toolfor those who understand how to interpret their data. By quantifying exactly how much energy a cyclist expends, power meters lend unprecedented insight into a

Kindle Edition, 3rd Edition, 384 pages
Published March 15th 2019 by VeloPress (first published January 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Training and Racing with a Power Meter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training and Racing with a Power Meter

Start your review of Training and Racing with a Power Meter
Damon
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't everything I wanted it to be but it achieved the basic function I bought it for: to get me to use my power meter more effectively and with some understanding. For example, just explaining Training Stress Scores and Intensity Factors was extremely helpful and has added a new dimension to my cycling analysis.

Overall, however, it's limited by a couple of factors. Firstly, the authors haven't really settled on a target audience or complexity level. They tell you what you can
Alex Glagolev
Книга рекомендована к прочтению увлеченным велоспортом людям. В книге понятным языком описаны основные термины, понятия и принципы организации тренировок с помощью измерителя мощности. После прочтения данных материалов вы поймете что за графики рисует вам Strava, научитесь находить свои слабые и сильные стороны не по ощущениям, а исходя из реальных данных. В идеале сможете получать больше пользы затрачивая меньше часов на тренировки. Могу сказать, что начинающие любители могут смело использовать ...more
Greg
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the 12 years since this book was first published (2006), cycling gadgetry - and technology in general - has undergone a massive amount of change. To put this in context, the iPhone did not exist when this book was written. It was a time when power meters were very rare and cost-prohibitive to most consumers, and we certainly didn't have things like smart trainers.

Surely this book, along with power meters, were revolutionary for the cycling community, as was Allen and Coggan's research. They
Aaron
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: training
This is THE BOOK on power-based training, as far as I know. Even though I don't have access to a power meter because I don't bike, I loved brainstorming ways I might apply the thinking to my running. I skipped over some stuff that was more in the weeds, like using a power meter to pace during a race, but I suspect I'll go back and even read those sections. A valuable reference that I will purchase.
Mayara Ribeiro
The book is a fair introduction to training with a power meter. Although it states that one will be able to correct train using a power meter and also comes with a list of workout options, the book does not discuss how to use periodization in training. There is no use in a bunch of training workouts if do not know what to do with them. I was expecting a little bit more.
MaryEllen
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
very technical but good reference material
Ranranzi
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good collection in explaining the basic concepts: Normalized Power (NP), Intensity Factory (IF), Training Stress score (TSS), and Functional threshold power (FTP) etc.

Something useful concepts that I am not familiar with: Power profile. This is what I've missing for long time. I am curious to test my guess. The method to calculate different time periods (iLevel) to make power duration curve (PDV), which gives more accurate picture than just using discrete data points (5s, 1m, 5m).

I don't think
Martin
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much more than I had anticipated when I first opened it. Hats off the Hunter Allen for all his hard work in the area of Power Meter Data Analysis.

This book took me quite some time to finish as there is so much detail about the analysis and interpretation of the data that the power meters provides that it takes some time to get your head around it all and digest it before moving on to the next section. I am glad I did take the extra time to read each section carefully though as
Crharnish
Dec 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is highly overrated. A disappointment for Andy Coggan, and nothing more than a money making and marketing scheme for Hunter Allen's software. Most individuals I talk to who understand physiology and have read this book have similar feelings. It's an over-simplification of the use of power meters for cycling training and VERY one-sided, selling only Hunter Allen's view of training and power analysis. This book, along with Allen's Power certification have done nothing but create an army ...more
David Miller
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is essentially a reference title for biking with a power meter. very useful for me who is just starting to train with power but of course much of it is either too technical or not really relevant to me at this point (especially since my power meter is part of my indoor trainer and i dont know if i'm going to invest in an actual power meter for out on the road) but i guess it's worthwhile to get introduced to some of the concepts and then maybe come back to them later on if i think will ...more
Ryan
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, training
If you own a power meter or are considering one, you have to buy it.

Only reason I give it 4 instead of 5: a little out of date on the facts (inevitable with technology moving so rapidly); and, more serious criticism, a little to heavy on examples for hypothetical athletes. The part about building a program, for example, walks through a hypothetical athlete and his schedule. Great, but that doesn't give any abstracted rules to allow one to generate myriad other programs.

Folkert Wierda
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good explanation about training and racing with power, though not (as the authors admit) a training book. For that you also must read Friel (Cycling Training Bible or Triathlon Training Bible). I would still expect slightly more pace on analysis of power data, detailed examples. But anyhow a good book. Also: you need what they call CyclingPeaks software (what is now WKO+, from TrainingPeaks) in order to get the charts the book describes. I have that, so this is fine for me.
Bud Winn
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read on understanding the mystical nuances of training with power. This book goes into full detail on everything - FTP, training zones, etc. Overall, highly recommend for any cyclist/triathlete.
Kevin Ford
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Openned my eyes to training with power. A must read for any serious cyclist looking to improve
Alan
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
Pretty technical. I'm applying it to erg rowing, not cycling. The watts in cycling are enormous, or maybe I'm just a weakling.
Ron
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction, can't wait to start with my new power meter
Nicholas Harvey
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to training and racing with power.
Michael
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy read and valuable guide

Answered almost all of the questions I had about training with power.

The examples and workouts provided are a valuable resource as well
Albert
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The definitive book on training with power. Technical and thorough yet easy to use as reference. As close to a reference manual as you'd want to get without reading scientific papers.
Jonathan
Jan 30, 2013

• The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Fit, Fast, Powerful in 6 Hours a Week
  • The Power Meter Handbook: A User's Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes
  • The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes
  • Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success
  • حلم رجل مضحك
  • Society's Child: My Autobiography
  • Train Dreams
  • Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »